BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Blackburn Rovers vs Ipswich Town, Saturday 19th January 15.00 Kick off.

TM has described the first half as under par, personally I'd say it was about par for the first halfs at Ewood under his tenure. However we did up it a bit in the second half with Rothwell  and Armstrong driving us forward, and did enough to get the win. 

Special mention for Jack Rodwell, absolute Rolls Royce of a footballer,particularly at this level. Fair play to Tony for getting him back to that level of performance, when many felt he was finished after Sunderland.

Rotherham completely dependent on their home form. It has kept them out of the bottom 3 so far and if they manage to sustain it will probably keep their heads above water. Bit like Wigan but not as effective at getting those wins. If the home form goes however, with awful away form, they could easily drop into it. 

Bolton are expected to be one of the three given their form and lack of quality yet they scraped through last season and have the experience.

Reading a bit of an unknown quality but on paper they have the strongest squad down there.

Looks to me like 3 from the bottom 4 unless Wigan drop into the mix, but I think their home record will be enough for them.

A lot of pain in that post pal, I feel for you and credit for posting it here. Now we’ve played you twice good luck for the rest of the season, I’ve friends down in Tuddenham St Marys who support Town and when down there I really like the place. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, not exactly Scarface said:

I know it's a bit late in the day for post game reaction but here's my tuppence worth.   First of all that was a disappointing number we took up, I expected a few more to make the journey.   Lambert went on record as saying he'll pay for 50 of our fans to travel up, for all I know that may just have been all we took today.

Didn't see the game and missed highlights (Colin Murray's grating whiny voice sounds like seagulls fighting over breadcrumbs on our shed roof and the game was crap by all accounts so no great loss) but read reaction from our TWTD pages and while people accept we're going down they still provide Lambert with a number of plaudits and something on a level not seen since Sir Bobby Robson.   Somehow, I don't think he's all that.

Scores and performance haven't really improved since he's come in but everyone lies the blame at Paul Hurst's door or if it isn't him it's Marcus Evans or the tearoom assistants.   Never seems to be Paul Lambert's fault despite being solely responsible for team selection and "motivating" the players we possess.   Came out recently with a "I'll stick with the club even in League One" : I mean what's he supposed to say "I made a mistake coming here and will leave at the soonest opportunity.. ?"      Point I'm trying to get across is he's just another manager trying his hand here, you would have had the same thing when Lambert was with Blackburn.

Not one to live in the past but seems ridiculous right now we were a hair away from winning the treble at the start of the '80's.    There's - or was -  a certain pride in supporting this club, we did something incredible for a short time not to mention supplying the English national team with it's two most successful managers but since around 2005 we've been in near total wilderness and rarely have looked like making it back.  

Biggest concern with me is how long it could take to regain second league status if we fall out this season.   We struggle often against lower league opposition so how the hell it's going to be facing these teams on a regular basis over nine months.    All the time Marcus Evans hides up his own arse and won't invest in the club and even when he does bother to make a public appearance only comes out with half-hearted disingenuous claptrap.    Yes it's a mess and there's an awful lot to do.   People talk about being patient but have been just that for around 17 years attempting to make it back to the Premier League.    I mean how much patience do you need.  

Anyway, seems Rovers could still make the top six by end of season.   You have some good players that can make that happen and would be some achievement after coming up from League One last summer.    As for ourselves that's just where we're headed but in truth it's been looking that way for a good many months (perhaps years) now.  

Good luck with the rest of your season.

I remember when you played some of the best football in England with those Dutch lads.

If you go down I will be pleasantly suprised if Lambert sticks around in the 3rd division.

But where else could he now go and may see leading Ipswich back up as a way back for himself.

Personally I hope you stay up this season for proper fans like yourself.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Lambert is a genius, sadly for you not in terms of management, but in terms of manipulating the media and speaking to convince people that the situation is entirely unmanagable, thats theres nothing he could have done, and to make people praise his "honesty."

In retrospect, he did it perfectly here. The job he did was entirely underwhelming, the football was poor, his transfers were mixed, and he spent the whole time deflecting blame and complaining. We will never know if his demands were reasonable but he played a blinder. He knew Venkys were hated by the fans and he announced that he was leaving 2 games before the end of the season. Amidst the revolt towards the owners, Lambert left as popular as hed ever been for "standing up to the owners" after an uninspiring time in charge with his reputation intact. He then went on to manage Wolves, Stoke and now yourselves and his knack for blaming all the reasons under the sun (dodgy owners and lack of investment usually) have remained strong as results on the pitch have been poor.

On paper, some of his signings are potentially good albeit risky, with Judge and Collins both good at this level but also massively injury prone. His win record is Hurst level poor, which is why I am amazed that he is seemingly so well liked down at Ipswich, especially with his Norwich connections.

Watching your team today and the insistence to play it out from the back with Collins and Chambers was baffling, and Mowbray was right, if we hadnt have been so tired after Tuesday im sure we would have robbed them of the ball deep even more than we did. I get the feeling that Ipswich fans relationship with McCarthy as a person (telling fans to fuck off was for me very much giving what he got) has left them unwilling to accept how good a job he did amidst a backdrop of penny pinching and lack of investment. You have a big, tall team but for me it seems like your fans would rather try to play "attractive football" even if it means worse results. Judge on set pieces, no risks at the back and going long would seem to make more sense than the senseless tactics I saw today from your team.

I thought we knew he was going much earlier than that, and he was staying on to the end of season as a goodwill gesture when he would utilise his walk away contract clause. (I would love to know the financial part of that con he pulled)

I agree with your other comments on Lambert which mirror my views on him.

EDiT: ok my recollection was a bit out of synch. As soon as he had sold Rhodes and that window closed he started moaning on an ever increasing scale culminating with his walk away announcement in late April, in which, being Lambert, he praised everyone and their dog at Rovers.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

6 hours ago, not exactly Scarface said:

I know it's a bit late in the day for post game reaction but here's my tuppence worth.   First of all that was a disappointing number we took up, I expected a few more to make the journey.   Lambert went on record as saying he'll pay for 50 of our fans to travel up, for all I know that may just have been all we took today.

Didn't see the game and missed highlights (Colin Murray's grating whiny voice sounds like seagulls fighting over breadcrumbs on our shed roof and the game was crap by all accounts so no great loss) but read reaction from our TWTD pages and while people accept we're going down they still provide Lambert with a number of plaudits and something on a level not seen since Sir Bobby Robson.   Somehow, I don't think he's all that.

Scores and performance haven't really improved since he's come in but everyone lies the blame at Paul Hurst's door or if it isn't him it's Marcus Evans or the tearoom assistants.   Never seems to be Paul Lambert's fault despite being solely responsible for team selection and "motivating" the players we possess.   Came out recently with a "I'll stick with the club even in League One" : I mean what's he supposed to say "I made a mistake coming here and will leave at the soonest opportunity.. ?"      Point I'm trying to get across is he's just another manager trying his hand here, you would have had the same thing when Lambert was with Blackburn.

Not one to live in the past but seems ridiculous right now we were a hair away from winning the treble at the start of the '80's.    There's - or was -  a certain pride in supporting this club, we did something incredible for a short time not to mention supplying the English national team with it's two most successful managers but since around 2005 we've been in near total wilderness and rarely have looked like making it back.  

Biggest concern with me is how long it could take to regain second league status if we fall out this season.   We struggle often against lower league opposition so how the hell it's going to be facing these teams on a regular basis over nine months.    All the time Marcus Evans hides up his own arse and won't invest in the club and even when he does bother to make a public appearance only comes out with half-hearted disingenuous claptrap.    Yes it's a mess and there's an awful lot to do.   People talk about being patient but have been just that for around 17 years attempting to make it back to the Premier League.    I mean how much patience do you need.  

Anyway, seems Rovers could still make the top six by end of season.   You have some good players that can make that happen and would be some achievement after coming up from League One last summer.    As for ourselves that's just where we're headed but in truth it's been looking that way for a good many months (perhaps years) now.  

That's Lambert all over - so he paid 50 x 37 quid, why? its like a politician buying votes. Has he mentioned how he is mates with all the best coaches in the world and has been to training grounds such as Bayern Munich picking up tips yet? I expect him to walk at some point just like he has with his last few clubs when things are not going to plan.

He knows you're going down and is doing all it takes to keep you lot on side. As for the football, is it really an improvement on MM as when he was here it was pretty turgid stuff?

Anyhow, you seem a genuinely good guy and relegation is never an enjoyable time but i just cannot see how you're going to get out of it now. Villa next isnt it? At least those League 1 players Hurst brought in might be able to get you back up.

Not around yesterday and not seen any video so relying on written reports.

Job done and upwards we go!

Great to see the strength in depth in the squad at Championship level in our first season. Reaching the point where players obviously good enough to play in most Championship teams are not even going to come on as sub. And there are more gems coming through from the youth set up if what I am reading on here is correct.

I will be controversial and say we don't NEED any signing to come in this window. It is all about snaffling players who could transition to the Prem if there are any around Rodwell-esque.  If Edwards is available on loan, I'd bring him in from Ipswich.  

As for Ipswich, I'd be worrying about League 2 in 20/21. Clubs which drop like a stone tend not to hang around in the division below. They either find they enjoy beating poorer clubs and bounce or they carry on the habit of losing. Everything I read about Ipswich suggests they won't have the quality gap in League 1 Wigan Rotherham and ourselves enjoyed.    

18 minutes ago, philipl said:

Not around yesterday and not seen any video so relying on written reports.

Job done and upwards we go!

Great to see the strength in depth in the squad at Championship level in our first season. Reaching the point where players obviously good enough to play in most Championship teams are not even going to come on as sub. And there are more gems coming through from the youth set up if what I am reading on here is correct.

I will be controversial and say we don't NEED any signing to come in this window. It is all about snaffling players who could transition to the Prem if there are any around Rodwell-esque.  If Edwards is available on loan, I'd bring him in from Ipswich.  

As for Ipswich, I'd be worrying about League 2 in 20/21. Clubs which drop like a stone tend not to hang around in the division below. They either find they enjoy beating poorer clubs and bounce or they carry on the habit of losing. Everything I read about Ipswich suggests they won't have the quality gap in League 1 Wigan Rotherham and ourselves enjoyed.    

I think they will be similar to Rotherham who barely tore up trees in that division but managed to scrape it via the playoffs. I think playoffs will be their best hope - in fact all the teams potentially going down this year do not have that 'instant bouncbackability' look about them. It will be a chance for some of the League 1 stalwarts to make a move up next season I think - perhaps a Peterborough, Charlton or the like.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I like Benno but he's a classic Jack of all trades, master of none.

To be fair the ball to Armstrong was good though....?

In fairness he stopped a certain goal yesterday, firmly believe his work ethic rubs off on those around him too, we miss him not being on the pitch. But yeah agree with you really. 

12 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

Bell was outstanding again, don’t know what people are expecting from a young left back, I think he is getting better.

Agree on this, he doesn't half frustrate me sometimes but he's only gonna get better if we persevere rather than benching him

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Mulgrew in the left back position in the tougher games, bell for when we are attacking/chasing 

Mulgrew is nowhere near mobile enough to be playing as a full back these days, amazed people are even suggesting it. 

Edited by Ossydave
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

Mulgrew is nowhere near mobile enough to be playing as a full back these days, amazed people are even suggesting it. 

Agreed, career blighted by injuries means he is not going to be able to get up and down the pitch these days whether in CM or LB. No coincidence that since he has primarily been played at CB, his injuries have been far less frequent or serious.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, not exactly Scarface said:

I know you aren’t down yet but it’s looking increasingly likely. Relegation to League 1 seems like a bad thing now but I say embrace it like we did. I appreciate you haven’t been in the third tier for over 60 years and the prospect of it now may seem worrying for the future of the club. We had the same concerns.

A season in league 1 reinvigorated our club and fanbase. It was enjoyable being the big fish in a division and winning most games! It’s one of the most enjoyable seasons I’ve ever had with Rovers.

Suddenly kids in the area were wearing Rovers kits again and there was a feelgood factor around that we hadn’t experienced for years. We took more away fans in League 1 than we did a lot of the time in the Premier League. Lots of new ground to tick off for Ipswich fans.

Lambert has a mixed managerial record but does have promotions with Colchester and Norwich on there. A couple of shrewd signings should see you at the right end of that division. I think he is the right man to get you back up. He does have an eye for a decent player; he signed Bennett and Graham for us and they are ever presents in our team. 

As I say if you go down hopefully you will have the same great experience in league 1 and return a stronger club! 

Edited by david brent
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, not exactly Scarface said:

at can make that happen and would be some achievement after coming up from League One last summer.    As for ourselves that's just where we're headed but in truth it's been looking that way for a good many months (perhaps years) now.  

Heartfelt post and as a town club like Rovers and I feel sorry for you. We know what it's like to have useless owners who haven't a clue what the effects of their actions have on the community. 

2 hours ago, Ossydave said:

As an attacking full-back I would have to agree, but as a defensive full-back (which is the main object of the position) He can head a ball, tackle, read the game, pass forwards, better than any other option I have seen. We should not be in the business of prolonging players careers, but in getting the best for the Rovers out of players.  

3 minutes ago, rigger said:

real go As an attacking full-back I would have to agree, but as a defensive full-back (which is the main object of the position) He can head a ball, tackle, read the game, pass forwards, better than any other option I have seen. We should not be in the business of prolonging players careers, but in getting the best for the Rovers out of players.  

All of what you say is true. I think the first time I saw him play in the flesh a few years back he played left back and he looked a real class act in a very poor team. Unfortunately he got injured after about 70 minutes and had to go off. 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces