BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Blackburn Rovers vs Ipswich Town, Saturday 19th January 15.00 Kick off.

3 hours ago, renrag said:

Not necessarily advocating it but don’t forget Tigray wasn’t bad and was hardly the most mobile, as were others such as Scholes, Molby etc. but they were all capable of bossing the tempo of games.

I know what you're saying but Tugay was a genuine world class player not far off the likes of Pirlo and Scholes. Mulgrews got good technical ability, but he's absolutely no where near the likes of them. 

Most crucially he's slow on the turn, as if you not blessed with pace you can mitigate that with turning neatly away from danger. Tugay was absolutely exceptional at that. I think Mulgrew would get caught with the ball a lot in midfield.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I know what you're saying but Tugay was a genuine world class player not far off the likes of Pirlo and Scholes. Mulgrews got good technical ability, but he's absolutely no where near the likes of them. 

Most crucially he's slow on the turn, as if you not blessed with pace you can mitigate that with turning neatly away from danger. Tugay was absolutely exceptional at that. I think Mulgrew would get caught with the ball a lot in midfield.

Maybe before your time but Simon Barker was exceptionally good at turning into space and not into trouble. 

15 hours ago, not exactly Scarface said:

I know it's a bit late in the day for post game reaction but here's my tuppence worth.   First of all that was a disappointing number we took up, I expected a few more to make the journey.   Lambert went on record as saying he'll pay for 50 of our fans to travel up, for all I know that may just have been all we took today.

Didn't see the game and missed highlights (Colin Murray's grating whiny voice sounds like seagulls fighting over breadcrumbs on our shed roof and the game was crap by all accounts so no great loss) but read reaction from our TWTD pages and while people accept we're going down they still provide Lambert with a number of plaudits and something on a level not seen since Sir Bobby Robson.   Somehow, I don't think he's all that.

Scores and performance haven't really improved since he's come in but everyone lies the blame at Paul Hurst's door or if it isn't him it's Marcus Evans or the tearoom assistants.   Never seems to be Paul Lambert's fault despite being solely responsible for team selection and "motivating" the players we possess.   Came out recently with a "I'll stick with the club even in League One" : I mean what's he supposed to say "I made a mistake coming here and will leave at the soonest opportunity.. ?"      Point I'm trying to get across is he's just another manager trying his hand here, you would have had the same thing when Lambert was with Blackburn.

Not one to live in the past but seems ridiculous right now we were a hair away from winning the treble at the start of the '80's.    There's - or was -  a certain pride in supporting this club, we did something incredible for a short time not to mention supplying the English national team with it's two most successful managers but since around 2005 we've been in near total wilderness and rarely have looked like making it back.  

Biggest concern with me is how long it could take to regain second league status if we fall out this season.   We struggle often against lower league opposition so how the hell it's going to be facing these teams on a regular basis over nine months.    All the time Marcus Evans hides up his own arse and won't invest in the club and even when he does bother to make a public appearance only comes out with half-hearted disingenuous claptrap.    Yes it's a mess and there's an awful lot to do.   People talk about being patient but have been just that for around 17 years attempting to make it back to the Premier League.    I mean how much patience do you need.  

Anyway, seems Rovers could still make the top six by end of season.   You have some good players that can make that happen and would be some achievement after coming up from League One last summer.    As for ourselves that's just where we're headed but in truth it's been looking that way for a good many months (perhaps years) now.  

500+ is a more than respectable following when you are struggling and Ipswich have always done ok up here like that so credit where it's due.

Real struggle on though and I think like Bolton a few seasons ago and us not long ago the drop is destined. Nothing to fear in league one if you can keep the nucleus of a good squad together and cut away the deadwood.  A lot will depend on how you are managed though and whilst Lambert might get you having a good stab at staying up I can't see him getting you straight back but then again you never know, maybe that's his real level baring the one Coylesqe over achievement.

Best of luck, good club and fans Ipswich and too big for league 1 for any length of time.

Edited by tomphil

2 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

RE: Bell

I wish he would shoot sometimes. He makes these glorious runs at times and always picks the wrong choice. Very frustrating as you say, but it’s funny seeing guys challenging him to a foot race. His defensive work has improved in the last few weeks, and not many silly mistakes, like Williams is famous for.

Against Millwall. Literally our previous league game it was one of the single worst performances I recall from a rovers player. Just because he wasn't tested much against bottom of the league doesn't mean he's improved 

58 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

Against Millwall. Literally our previous league game it was one of the single worst performances I recall from a rovers player. Just because he wasn't tested much against bottom of the league doesn't mean he's improved 

You cant of been watching Rovers for so long if you think that Bell's performance against Millwall was one of the worst. I'm no way a Bell fan and think he is poor and no improvement on Williams but several of his previous performances have been worse. Two clean sheets in the last two league matches should be praised and Bell has been part of that. Granted against poor opposition but the defence has looked better.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DE. said:

He always looks clumsy to me when defending one-on-one, but he doesn't often let the player past him so maybe that's just how it is. I just had a quick check and apparently Nyambe has absolutely no assists (or goals) since he started appearing in the first team, so still some improvement needed there. You'd expect him to have at least a couple of assists considering how often he's pushing forward in games. 

Off the top of my head did he not get an assist v Scunthorpe at home last year for Graham?

I think hes better defensively than offensively personally. Doesnt dive in like Bennett.

Edited by roversfan99

3 hours ago, riverside returns said:

And before that Stuart Metcalfe was just good at turning, often in a complete  circle.

Yep, it was like he had one foot nailed to the pitch some times. Opponents knew he had no left foot so they tried to keep him on his left hand side. Most of the time he still came away with the ball though.

4 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

You cant of been watching Rovers for so long if you think that Bell's performance against Millwall was one of the worst. I'm no way a Bell fan and think he is poor and no improvement on Williams but several of his previous performances have been worse. Two clean sheets in the last two league matches should be praised and Bell has been part of that. Granted against poor opposition but the defence has looked better.

I can only assume you didn't watch that game. Nyambe proved me wrong. I hope Bell can progress in the same way. I just really don't think we've seen a recent consistent upturn in form

You assume wrong I did watch the game. As I say he is technically poor but at the moment we have kept two clean sheets in the league since when. Hopefully this should breath a bit more confidence in him his self belief and his performance will improve.

To say that his performane against Millwall was one of the worst ever Rovers performances was entirely wrong. It wouldn't rank in the worst 100.

8 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Nyambe is ok, I would still like an upgrade though. Defensively naive at times, doesn’t like a high ball, is good at running offensively but gets in great positions and can’t cross or shoot so it’s wasted 

Still young and is improving all the time - TM keeps saying that he will play in the PL oneday and the only other player I have heard him say this about is Dack - so will trust him on that opinion.

17 hours ago, DE. said:

He always looks clumsy to me when defending one-on-one, but he doesn't often let the player past him so maybe that's just how it is. I just had a quick check and apparently Nyambe has absolutely no assists (or goals) since he started appearing in the first team, so still some improvement needed there. You'd expect him to have at least a couple of assists considering how often he's pushing forward in games. 

Nyambe has no goals or assists in 44 appearances at Championship level.

In 29 appearances in L1 he had no goals but got 2 assists. Both at home v Doncaster and Scunthorpe.

So 2 assists in 70+ appearances. Doesn't appear much at first sight.

Info from Transfermkt

Edited by AllRoverAsia

• Backroom
1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Nyambe has no goals or assists in 44 appearances at Championship level.

In 29 appearances in L1 he had no goals but got 2 assists. Both at home v Doncaster and Scunthorpe.

So 2 assists in 70+ appearances. Doesn't appear much at first sight.

Info from Transfermkt

I thought it seemed a bit odd that he had no assists last season at all, but it's certainly something that will need to improve at this level. With the way Mowbray ultimately wants to play (with two inside strikers and the dreaded three at the back) the wing backs are a crucial part of the assists mechanism along with the no. 10 (in our case Dack). If the wing backs don't provide assists in that formation then it's basically all left up to Dack, which is what we've seen for large portions of Mowbray's tenure, and it severly limits our creativity. 

That said we still seem really far away from Mowbray's ideal system at the moment. Whenever he tries three at the back it seems to be a bit of a disaster, and a standard 4-2-3-1 leaves the inside forwards as wingers and negates the wing back role entirely.

I haven't seen it back on any of the highlights, but I've just remembered Rothwell's double-touch skill to get between two players and in to the box in the corner infront of the Blackburn End after a really good piece of work. A well crafted, clever little move that got everybody up off their seat ala Damien Duff, that's what we want to see at Ewood.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Don Said said:

I haven't seen it back on any of the highlights, but I've just remembered Rothwell's double-touch skill to get between two players and in to the box in the corner infront of the Blackburn End after a really good piece of work. A well crafted, clever little move that got everybody up off their seat ala Damien Duff, that's what we want to see at Ewood.

Terrific bit of skill that. Used both feet as well. He also out-muscled their big No 9 in the same spot. 

It will be interesting to see how he copes with teams that have quick, skilful attackers. He's given two stupid penalties away against players like that. Hull will be a test for him. 

23 minutes ago, Don Said said:

That really was a fabulous bit of skill. Unlucky that he didn't get a goal or assist to mark his contribution, but his introduction definitely gave the whole team a lift.

Not really a dig at Palmer at all, as they have totally different styles, but it's made me even more certain that it's no great loss if it means more opportunities for Rothwell. 

36 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Terrific bit of skill that. Used both feet as well. He also out-muscled their big No 9 in the same spot. 

It will be interesting to see how he copes with teams that have quick, skilful attackers. He's given two stupid penalties away against players like that. Hull will be a test for him. 

Rothwell or Rodwell ?

1 hour ago, rigger said:

Rothwell or Rodwell ?

I was on about Rodwell, everyone else is in about Rothwell it seems?

I was on about the Rodwell turn on the corner of the Riverside and BBE. I now realise everyone is on about the Rothwell jink between two players on the opposite touchline. 

It's tough to keep up when we've got liquid football going on everywhere you look.

#Brazil70

Edited by blueboy3333
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17371149.blackburn-rovers-2-ipswich-town-0-player-ratings/

These player ratings are so odd. Pretty much everyone gets either a 6 or 7, no one gets an 8, yet Rodwell gets man of the match. He was surely an 8? 

They’re always odd. Even when one or two have an absolute stinker after a defeat he still usually gives them a 6. 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17371149.blackburn-rovers-2-ipswich-town-0-player-ratings/

These player ratings are so odd. Pretty much everyone gets either a 6 or 7, no one gets an 8, yet Rodwell gets man of the match. He was surely an 8? 

Whereas on here they would go from minus10 to 10+ or even wider differences, and I mean for the same player :rover:

Edited by AllRoverAsia