BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers ban Briggsyboy videos

I was once rudely told by a steward I couldn't film the plane with Kean Out written on it. When I asked why I was told. "Because Sky own the rights." I replied. "What? To the clouds?" After a bit of an argument, and quite a number of people sitting behind me starting to get annoyed at this lady, a police officer came over and told her to come away.

She was trying her best to get me kicked out and when they got to the bottom of the steps I saw the officer giving her a bit of a bollocking.

Sometimes they treat fans like sh**.

Then there was the time we were filming a bit of promo for Tash outside of the ground and John Newsham swore at us and told us we had to walk about 6 paces further away if we wanted to film or he'd get security (we were on the pavement, not the clubs property). Then he came back in his car and revved his engine every time we started to film.

And on that occasion we'd been given permission to film by the club on the premises.

Sad that this is still happening I thought we'd turned a corner.

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

He's starting Rovers Fan TV today at the Ipswich game.

Interviewing fans outside Ewood pre and post match.

Waggott's maggotts will no doubt be on the look out. I wonder if they will allow if filming and interviewing say outside the shop or near Uncle Jack.

LOL, he does miss a few goals but I liked the ones scored at the BBE from a view diffrent from usual.

It's Rovers property so if they wanted they could ask him to leave. It's courtesy for them, to someone who is a fan and promoting the club, to not ask him to leave.

Just for contrast, Burnley, Accy Stanley and Everton all very good to deal with regarding filming. I've filmed at places dealing in military armored vehicles where I've had to sign None Disclosure Agreements that aren't as strict as Rovers.

They should be welcoming attention not challenging it.

Edited by booth

45 minutes ago, booth said:

It's Rovers property so if they wanted they could ask him to leave. It's courtesy for them, to someone who is a fan and promoting the club, to not ask him to leave.

Just for contrast, Burnley, Accy Stanley and Everton all very good to deal with regarding filming. I've filmed at places dealing in military armored vehicles where I've had to sign None Disclosure Agreements that aren't as strict as Rovers.

They should be welcoming attention not challenging it.

Agreed.

Rovers should ask the lad for guidance on social media usage and also on how to present a video to fans on a "difficult" subject so well, as in his latest vid.

Agreed.

Rovers should ask the lad for guidance on social media usage and also on how to present a video to fans on a "difficult" subject so well, as in his latest vid.

Yes just some guidelines would be good.

Though I doubt they would do that as they like to change them to suit their own ends. After what happened with Kean the club became very paranoid and sadly it looks as if it still is.

20 minutes ago, booth said:

Yes just some guidelines would be good.

Though I doubt they would do that as they like to change them to suit their own ends. After what happened with Kean the club became very paranoid and sadly it looks as if it still is.

Just to reiterate - it’s likely nothing to do with a club decision. The club have to stop this stuff because of broadcasting rights.

And I have to say the social media over the last couple of years has been fantastic.

So apart from the pricing and surcharge, which I agree needs looking at...

Why is everyone so keen to throw pelters at Waggott/the club?

After all we’ve been through, our complaints now make us look like a normal functioning club again- does this not deserve a little credit?

Everyone so keen to jump on the club about every little thing completely forgets what we have come through, where we now are, and the work it has taken to steady the ship.

Hysterically or wilfully abandoning logic to cry wolf is counter productive in helping us stay vigilant and importantly, heard if it all goes Derek Shaw/Agnew/Shebby again. 

Just my two cents.

If there is something else dodgy apart from the surcharge and our average ticket prices then please remind me.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 1

I was warned by Newsham for taking photos in the ground years ago. I asked why and he stated it’s against ground regulations so of course I checked up and he was correct. I don’t suppose that it’s changed since. 

The club should be getting in with in with these young supporter/reporters in my opinion. Maybe getting him employed by the club in some capacity. 

53 minutes ago, old darwen blue said:

I was warned by Newsham for taking photos in the ground years ago. I asked why and he stated it’s against ground regulations so of course I checked up and he was correct. I don’t suppose that it’s changed since. 

The club should be getting in with in with these young supporter/reporters in my opinion. Maybe getting him employed by the club in some capacity. 

Young people live for things like IG and snapchat. If photos/camera phones are ever banned then they’ll put off a heck of a lot of potential fans! The world has moved on and not necessarily for the better but commercial enterprises have to get on board.

I suspect this is a combination of broadcasting rights and copyright infringements.  In the modern era these are absolute minefields and infringement can be a very costly business if you get it wrong.  The fact the club are happy for him to interview fans outside of the ground would indicate that it's the actual match that's the problem and that is covered by EFL and FA regulations.  These organisations, like photographic agencies, are very protective of the rights deals they have in place and don't hesitate to take action.  

38 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

I suspect this is a combination of broadcasting rights and copyright infringements.  In the modern era these are absolute minefields and infringement can be a very costly business if you get it wrong.  The fact the club are happy for him to interview fans outside of the ground would indicate that it's the actual match that's the problem and that is covered by EFL and FA regulations.  These organisations, like photographic agencies, are very protective of the rights deals they have in place and don't hesitate to take action.  

The irony is that the same people enforcing this draconian embargo probably grew up taping songs off the radio and recording films on VHS. Now copyright is big business.

42 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Clamping down on what are basically "home" video quality offerings by fans for fans. As someone who does watch them I am confident that they are not watched for the quality of the video of any match action they may contain! They are no threat to anyone and are done by fans for the love of the game. The exception being the monetised Arsenal Fan tv.

I've just watched 5 mins of match highlights taken from the DE upper and am confident more will follow soon.

Just imagine trying to get 3,000 Geordies or Leeds fans not to use their phones at the Ewood games, can't be done so pick on your own!

12 minutes ago, Stuart said:

The irony is that the same people enforcing this draconian embargo probably grew up taping songs off the radio and recording films on VHS. Now copyright is big business.

I think the difference Stuart is that when folk did that in the past if was for personal use at home.  Today it ends up on the net and is much easier for those who hold the copyright to take action.  I know that many years ago, agencies bought new sports books, in particular, and went through them looking for breaches of copyright.  It's not something you want to get on the wrong side of - it can be very costly if you get it wrong.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Clamping down on what are basically "home" video quality offerings by fans for fans. As someone who does watch them I am confident that they are not watched for the quality of the video of any match action they may contain! They are no threat to anyone and are done by fans for the love of the game. The exception being the monetised Arsenal Fan tv.

I've just watched 5 mins of match highlights taken from the DE upper and am confident more will follow soon.

Just imagine trying to get 3,000 Geordies or Leeds fans not to use their phones at the Ewood games, can't be done so pick on your own!

I guess some of the people doing this aim to attract advertising. still, so what?

12 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

He's been doing it 3 years. I'd suggest the facts don't back up your argument. 

It’s absolutely pathetic by the club. Plain and simple. It is added to the ever growing list of similar decisions by the club which only serve to upset loyal fans.

This includes shoving the away fans into the corner of the darwen end upper. Or moving home fans out of the darwen end. The financial reasons given by the club are a smokescreen. These decisions were made primarily for security reasons! They don’t care that the atmosphere is now worse or the fact the empty lower tier looks terrible on tv.

Another one is the central comfortable seating in the jack walker upper darwen end side. A group of us had sat there in these empty seats through 6 years of dross only to be abruptly moved by the charming and delightful stewards last season. We approached the club at the start of this season and offered to pay extra to sit there. We asked them to name their price. We were just told they weren’t for sale at any cost and they are for hospitality only. The club could have made some extra money! A mate recently mentioned this to Mike Cheston; to be fair to him he seemed a little shocked that our offer had been dismissed without consideration and said he would look into it for next season. 

Also pretty sure a couple of years ago the club ordered the brown cow public house to take down their own Rovers flag on display outside and replace with an official club one! If it wasn’t the brown cow it was another Ewood pub.

Another one - we must have been the only professional football club in the country where you couldn’t buy a kids kit for Xmas as they sold out ages 5-12 in October and decided against ordering a new batch!

I’m a massive lifelong fan of Rovers and care fervently about the club. The club do a lot of good things - charity work, things in the community, strikers lounge etc. i also think they frustratingly get a lot wrong. There seems to be a number of ‘jobsworths’ working there as highlighted! 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, 47er said:

I guess some of the people doing this aim to attract advertising. still, so what?

I have yet to see a Vlog by any Rovers fan, and there are a few, which appear monetized in any way. Just home movie style and quality by fans for fans for fun, for the love of doing it. I have yet to see any such Vlogs that you would look at just for the match highlights! I like them for the often different camera angle for a goal scored, if the filmed it!

I fully understand copyright etc etc but just think that the official attitude shown is pathetic yet symptomatic of the big brother 1984 world the UK, more than anywhere else I know of, has become.

Arsenal Fan TV is sponsored and I think carries adds. I only watch that when Arsenal are going through a bad patch when it can be hilarious. But this channel is only comment and fan interviews not highlights, understandable as it makes money.

I have yet to see a Vlog by any Rovers fan, and there are a few, which appear monetized in any way. Just home movie style and quality by fans for fans for fun, for the love of doing it. I have yet to see any such Vlogs that you would look at just for the match highlights! I like them for the often different camera angle for a goal scored, if the filmed it!

I fully understand copyright etc etc but just think that the official attitude shown is pathetic yet symptomatic of the big brother 1984 world the UK, more than anywhere else I know of, has become.

Arsenal Fan TV is sponsored and I think carries adds. I only watch that when Arsenal are going through a bad patch when it can be hilarious. But this channel is only comment and fan interviews not highlights, understandable as it makes money.

Interestingly Arsenal FC have stopped Arsenal Fan TV from calling themselves Arsenal Fan TV 

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/arsenal-fan-tv-news-aftv-rebrand-youtube-channel-social-media-a8491596.html

5 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

Interestingly Arsenal FC have stopped Arsenal Fan TV from calling themselves Arsenal Fan TV 

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/arsenal-fan-tv-news-aftv-rebrand-youtube-channel-social-media-a8491596.html

Thanks, I didn't know that as not subscribed or looked at it since Wegner left. I will now if only to see what they said about the rebrading. They were sponsored by a big bookie, maybe beginning with a L.

The Bellerin quotes made me laugh, he used to get pelters on there.

Dont think this is the club per-se as others have pointed out. The lad has been doing it for a few years now and surely if it bothered them they would have spoken to him sooner. Pressure from TV companies is most likely but it is really pathetic of them. We do not have to wait long for highlights to come out and we all watch those purely for the goals, not vblogger content. Besides, surely they could have just said that vblogging is fine as long as the content is uploaded after the highlights have been? People watch to capture the atmosphere in and around the ground rather than the goals.

• Like 1

That’s it tv companpanies pay huge amounts for the privilege of showing live football and highlights. I have enjoyed his videos myself but there is an obvious issue. Tv is one of rovers biggest income streams and sky and the like won’t ingnore this stuff. Also you tubers can make a living of their channel so was only a matter of time.

Just now, Hasta said:

What the club should have done is contacted the lad directly.

To get two security guys to pull him up 60 minutes into a game and threaten him is a bit harsh. They could have easily contacted him between games.

Absolutely - he is a fan after all and a very passionate one. Club needs to embrace its younger generation of fans rather than pull this stuff. Would have been quite easy to get in touch with him via social media or even by phone if they already knew who he was and where he was sitting.

Of course they could.

I thought we had a canny PR operation these days? They could’ve even helped his new approach, I.e pre match interviews with fans outside the ground, by inviting him to Ewood/Brockhall to do a few interviews for the channel.

Costs nowt, but shows the club in a good, open light.