BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers ban Briggsyboy videos

3 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Good point. I know it doesn't feel comfortable or right, but we haven't heard anything from the club about their reasoning...so I will hold my judgement...

To be honest I don't watch his videos to get "free highlights". I always watch them on the official youtube channel if I don't watch the game on Ifollow. I watch Briggsyboys to get a feel of the atmosphere. Sure most of the time he doesn't actually record the goals, just the aftermath and celebration. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

To be honest I don't watch his videos to get "free highlights". I always watch them on the official youtube channel if I don't watch the game on Ifollow. I watch Briggsyboys to get a feel of the atmosphere. Sure most of the time he doesn't actually record the goals, just the aftermath and celebration. 

Any stuff about Rovers-well almost any-is good for creating/maintaining the "brand loyalty" lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

What the club should have done is contacted the lad directly.

To get two security guys to pull him up 60 minutes into a game and threaten him is a bit harsh. They could have easily contacted him between games.

Although I’m defending the club a lot on this subject - I certainly can’t argue with this.

1 hour ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Good point. I know it doesn't feel comfortable or right, but we haven't heard anything from the club about their reasoning...so I will hold my judgement...

As long as you don't hold your breath waiting for reasoning, then I'd be worried for you.

This has got nothing to do with the club. It's a Premier League directive to safeguard the billions in revenue that the broadcasters pay for highlights packages.

You may view it as 1 guy, but if people do this from every club, in increasing numbers with increased popularity, it puts the revenue at risk - which puts the clubs at risk.

It's clearly harder for the PL to stop the live streams from sophisticated operations that mask their IPs and are ultimately based in countries with zero appetite to shut them down, but it's a constant battle for the PL to try and stay on top of this.  The individual fans at clubs with large viewerships can easily be stopped, so they will have part of their team dedicated to that.

Agree with the point about contacting him between games though. They could have handled it better...

On 19/01/2019 at 20:12, old darwen blue said:

I was warned by Newsham for taking photos in the ground years ago. I asked why and he stated it’s against ground regulations so of course I checked up and he was correct. I don’t suppose that it’s changed since. 

The club should be getting in with in with these young supporter/reporters in my opinion. Maybe getting him employed by the club in some capacity. 

It didn't used to be, back in my student days I remember going down there with a small team, we just needed shots of the outside. A guy poked his head out of a door and asked if we needed help. We said we were doing a student assignment about the town, and he invited us in and we ended up filming inside and even pitchside. Very friendly and allowed us all the time we wanted. The fellow went off and tried to find out if any management or players were around we could interview, they weren't but he invited us back.

Contrast that with, when we had permission from a senior member of the club to film outside the stadium... "Are you takin' piss out of Rovers?" Which was how Newsham approached us. I hear he was always good with new people.

I'd imagine the no photo's policy was put in place around the same time. The funny thing is that the press, who could roam the club quite freely on match days were spreading bad PR on a daily basis. Thinking that stopping a few fans from doing it (which we weren't) would stop the flow of bad press was nonsensical.

You'd hope that was in the past but banning someone for being that much of a fan they are going out of their way to produce content (which takes a lot of time and effort, and in some cases costs money), for free, is madness. What next, suing 4000 Holes for all the xerox'd photo's of ex-players they've published over the years? They need to handle this stuff better as one thing the club needs is its fans.

5 minutes ago, AndyC said:

This has got nothing to do with the club. It's a Premier League directive to safeguard the billions in revenue that the broadcasters pay for highlights packages.

You may view it as 1 guy, but if people do this from every club, in increasing numbers with increased popularity, it puts the revenue at risk - which puts the clubs at risk.

It's clearly harder for the PL to stop the live streams from sophisticated operations that mask their IPs and are ultimately based in countries with zero appetite to shut them down, but it's a constant battle for the PL to try and stay on top of this.  The individual fans at clubs with large viewerships can easily be stopped, so they will have part of their team dedicated to that.

Agree with the point about contacting him between games though. They could have handled it better...

People do do it from every club.

The problem for me is that Rovers should handle these things better because they used to be superb and very encouraging with stuff like this.

On 19/01/2019 at 17:26, S8 & Blue said:

Just to reiterate - it’s likely nothing to do with a club decision. The club have to stop this stuff because of broadcasting rights.

And I have to say the social media over the last couple of years has been fantastic.

So apart from the pricing and surcharge, which I agree needs looking at...

Why is everyone so keen to throw pelters at Waggott/the club?

After all we’ve been through, our complaints now make us look like a normal functioning club again- does this not deserve a little credit?

Everyone so keen to jump on the club about every little thing completely forgets what we have come through, where we now are, and the work it has taken to steady the ship.

Hysterically or wilfully abandoning logic to cry wolf is counter productive in helping us stay vigilant and importantly, heard if it all goes Derek Shaw/Agnew/Shebby again. 

Just my two cents.

If there is something else dodgy apart from the surcharge and our average ticket prices then please remind me.

If I'm honest he uses far too much match footage so on the point of copyright I agree.

We shouldn't stop fans filming in the ground. Many fans around the country film themselves reacting to the match, some fans just film the players warming up, or the crowd to capture the atmosphere - stuff that isn't really part of the broadcast. Then they'll edit it in with a post-match report. A banning on all mobile phone filming in the ground will stop all that and some of it might be good PR for the club.

It's just common sense what is and what isn't breaking copyright. Someone shakily filming a penalty from the back seats of the top tier, while several spectators heads hove into view then hundreds of people jump up and down spoiling the shot isn't exactly rivaling Sky Sports. Okay, maybe Channel 5.

And sorry to repeat myself but the club used to handle things like this so much better as they did before the Kean/Shaw era.

Edited by booth

Bit i really don't understand is by the time he got his videos up anyway, sky had already had their 'free highlights' up for a good hour at least anyway... so what's the problem?

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He does show a lot of the game. He could just say he is just recording the fans reaction though. 

Having security approach him during the game was a bad move 

That’s the problem then. He can’t “just say” anything though as it’ll be very evident on his channel if he is showing unofficial highlights.

Normally, though, anything posted on YouTube would be taken down following a copyright claim by a large organisation (e.g. the football league) or somebody they contract to do so. Strong-arming or banning somebody filming is a more of a local action and suggests that the club have intervened directly.

It’s just another example in a long list of bad PR moves by the club since Waggott has been here. After the shower that he followed he could have been an absolute hero. Instead he sits in Mowbray’s shadow. He should be making far more effort to build community relations. We don’t have a radio station any more, someone like this guy is promoting the club and engaging with fans FOR FREE - work with him FFS.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

Bit i really don't understand is by the time he got his videos up anyway, sky had already had their 'free highlights' up for a good hour at least anyway... so what's the problem?

Exactly, people that want to see the highlights are going to watch the professionally done version rather than the shaky out of focus affort from some kid in the stands unless of course he uploads them first.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

That’s the problem then. He can’t “just say” anything though as it’ll be very evident on his channel if he is showing unofficial highlights.

Normally, though, anything posted on YouTube would be taken down following a copyright claim by a large organisation (e.g. the football league) or somebody they contract to do so. Strong-arming or banning somebody filming is a more of a local action and suggests that the club have intervened directly.

It’s just another example in a long list of bad PR moves by the club since Waggott has been here. After the shower that he followed he could have been an absolute hero. Instead he sits in Mowbray’s shadow. He should be making far more effort to build community relations. We don’t have a radio station any more, someone like this guy is promoting the club and engaging with fans FOR FREE - work with him FFS.

You really dislike Waggott, don't you? Wha was your view on John Williams? I'm just trying to understand if it's aythority figures at Rovers in general that grinf your gears. 

On this incident, I don't think Waggott was up in his office watching CCTV and stroking a cat before pointing at briggsy boy and saying "yes that's him, fly my pretties" 

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

You really dislike Waggott, don't you? Wha was your view on John Williams? I'm just trying to understand if it's aythority figures at Rovers in general that grinf your gears. 

On this incident, I don't think Waggott was up in his office watching CCTV and stroking a cat before pointing at briggsy boy and saying "yes that's him, fly my pretties" 

I only dislike him as much as he dislikes fans. It’s not personal, I just don’t like the way he goes about doing business.

John Williams wasn’t perfect and made mistakes but he understood the fans. I had a great deal of respect for him.

From the outside looking in Waggott’s approach seems to be maximising profit with very limited consideration of the fans.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I only dislike him as much as he dislikes fans. It’s not personal, I just don’t like the way he goes about doing business.

John Williams wasn’t perfect and made mistakes but he understood the fans. I had a great deal of respect for him.

From the outside looking in Waggott’s approach seems to be maximising profit with very limited consideration of the fans.

Brilliant. Made me laugh out loud!

6 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

Exactly! That's what you do if you weren't there. First port of call is Sky highlights, goals and little else, then something like Briggsy's site so you can savour a bit

of the atmosphere, connect with the fans etc (only if we win of course!). Completely harmless.

Edited by 47er
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It would make for a great scene in a Youtube highlights show ☺️

Edited by AllRoverAsia

4 hours ago, 47er said:

Exactly! That's what you do if you weren't there. First port of call is Sky highlights, goals and little else, then something like Briggsy's site so you can savour a bit

of the atmosphere, connect with the fans etc (only if we win of course!). Completely harmless.

Exactly.

Sky, then Briggyboy, then the extended highlights with commentary on iFollow, available to all with a registered Free Pass account, through which I buy a matchday pass when near decent wifi.

Everyones a Winner.

Firstly what a pathetic call from the club. As someone who lives abroad I loved watching those videos especially last season, to be able to feel like i was there celebrating was special. I pay $180 a season to watch all Rovers games on iFollow anyway, usually followed by the official highlights on YT so hardly as if i'm taking any revenue from the B*****ds.

Some people have mentioned that it could be a PL/Sky directive, now i am absolutely no expert but wouldn't what the lad is doing fall under the fair use copyright law? Not to mention if it was some sort of copyright infringement the lad should have received notice from EFL/Sky directly not from Waggots Maggots (thanks whoever coined that, i like it).

Would be nice to see the club work with people who are willing to put themselves out there and have a genuine love for the club instead of alienating even more of the fanbase. Unless Briggsyboy is refused on the day would love to still see his coverage of away matches.

Edited by sparky12
  • Like 2