BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers ban Briggsyboy videos

14 hours ago, Stuart said:

I only dislike him as much as he dislikes fans. It’s not personal, I just don’t like the way he goes about doing business.

John Williams wasn’t perfect and made mistakes but he understood the fans. I had a great deal of respect for him.

From the outside looking in Waggott’s approach seems to be maximising profit with very limited consideration of the fans.

You couldn't be more wrong Stuart.  Steve has engaged with supporters from day one and I've found him to be very similar to John Williams, in that his door is always open to supporters and he's extremely approachable.  The fact that he is also trying to put the club on a proper business footing is only a good thing.  FFP, whether we like it or not, means clubs have to get their houses in order.  We have criticised the club for not doing that in recent years and now we have someone who is working hard to do so.  Of course, not every decision is going to please everyone, but so far I've found him a breath of fresh air in turning the off the field business around.  Indeed, I would say the club is now being run in the same way that it was with John Williams and Tom Finn and that the present 'management' team is pretty good to be honest.  I've found them all very approachable and genuinely concerned for the interests of Blackburn Rovers.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

I've seen a few mention on here before, but ParsonBlue, do you honestly think Waggott understands the Rovers fanbase and Blackburn as a town?

Because I see no evidence at all that he does.

Personally, I do think that he has made a real effort to meet as many different groups within the town and also the council to improve things.  I know that he is not going to please everyone, some of the decisions he makes for sound commercial reasons are not always popular, but I really can't fault the guy for the effort he has put in over the past twelve months.  As I say, he has an open door policy, like John Williams, and his enthusiasm for the club is clear to see if you talk to him.

• Like 4

There is no doubt that the club is now infinitely better run than any other time between 2011 and Relegation vol. 2.

However, for me he hasn’t as yet understood our fanbase/catchment area. 

He sees a 31,000 ground, a PL pedigree, fantastic training ground and academy, so expects *relative*success to bring folk flooding back.

Williams understood from day 1 that though we have an extremely loyal core - this past decade has proved that, our floating fanbase is not at a city club level, so you have to work bloody hard first to get them in, and then keep them.

A sniff of success at Waggott’s former club Coventry and their wide fanbase across the city and Warwickshire will swell their small core crowds immediately and substantially. Doesn’t work like that here and I hope he’s finally working that out.

Edited by Mattyblue

3 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

You couldn't be more wrong Stuart.  Steve has engaged with supporters from day one and I've found him to be very similar to John Williams, in that his door is always open to supporters and he's extremely approachable.  The fact that he is also trying to put the club on a proper business footing is only a good thing.  FFP, whether we like it or not, means clubs have to get their houses in order.  We have criticised the club for not doing that in recent years and now we have someone who is working hard to do so.  Of course, not every decision is going to please everyone, but so far I've found him a breath of fresh air in turning the off the field business around.  Indeed, I would say the club is now being run in the same way that it was with John Williams and Tom Finn and that the present 'management' team is pretty good to be honest.  I've found them all very approachable and genuinely concerned for the interests of Blackburn Rovers.

Not knowing him as intimately as you seem to I can only go off what he has actually done rather than said.

Actions speak louder than words.

3 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Not knowing him as intimately as you seem to I can only go off what he has actually done rather than said.

Actions speak louder than words.

His actions are always in the best interests of the club - you may not like them or always agree with them, but he always has the best interests of the club at heart.  John Williams wasn't everyone's cup of tea but he too, always had the best interests of the club at heart.  I've found Steve to be the same.  Personally, I think we are lucky to have him.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sparky12 said:

Firstly what a pathetic call from the club. As someone who lives abroad I loved watching those videos especially last season, to be able to feel like i was there celebrating was special. I pay $180 a season to watch all Rovers games on iFollow anyway, usually followed by the official highlights on YT so hardly as if i'm taking any revenue from the B*****ds.

Some people have mentioned that it could be a PL/Sky directive, now i am absolutely no expert but wouldn't what the lad is doing fall under the fair use copyright law? Not to mention if it was some sort of copyright infringement the lad should have received notice from EFL/Sky directly not from Waggots Maggots (thanks whoever coined that, i like it).

Would be nice to see the club work with people who are willing to put themselves out there and have a genuine love for the club instead of alienating even more of the fanbase. Unless Briggsyboy is refused on the day would love to still see his coverage of away matches.

It would be but sadly fair use for audio/visual work was thrown out over a decade ago.

http://alexcox.com/ed_12-04.htm

On 26/01/2019 at 15:45, Mattyblue said:

The girl a few rows in front of me who also does a vlog has just been approached by a steward and handed a letter...

What a way to build relations with fans and the community in general.

“Should we get them in for a chat and to give them some advice, guidance and a bit of encouragement? Maybe there’s an opportunity to get them to be ambassadors for the club?”

”No, just get one of the hired help to serve her with a cease-and-desist notice”

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Stuart said:

What a way to build relations with fans and the community in general.

“Should we get them in for a chat and to give them some advice, guidance and a bit of encouragement? Maybe there’s an opportunity to get them to be ambassadors for the club?”

”No, just get one of the hired help to serve her with a cease-and-desist notice”

I truly think the Club have lost the plot over this. Her videos were a threat to absolutely no one, just a die hard Rovers fan trying her best to promote the Club. Pathetic by Rovers.

@AllRoverAsia - unfortunately the decision made is ultimately not the club’s. They have to stop people doing it. It’s shit.

But I do agree with Stuart, there really could be a better way of addressing it and turning what is an enforced negative conversation into something a bit positive.

20 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I truly think the Club have lost the plot over this. Her videos were a threat to absolutely no one, just a die hard Rovers fan trying her best to promote the Club. Pathetic by Rovers.

It's not often I've publically backed the club in recent years, however in this situation...

Sports broadcasters have bought the rights to show football matches and highlights. Advertisers pay for advertising space before, during and after the matches. Advertisers have put the pressure on sports broadcasters to ensure all vlogs do not show match footage. Why? Because vloggers are monetising their vlogs and selling seperate advertising space on platforms like youtube. Briggsyboy is making money by filming the game and producing his vlogs.

While, as an example, barclaycard are paying top whack for each individual person that sees their billboard or advert during the match, or the highlights, much smaller companies are getting the same privileges for much less. Even if ONE person watches the vlog and sees key highlights, that's one person that isn't watching the official broadcasts. 

This categorically isn't the club going out of their way to stop people filming the game for no reason. It's the club being forced to stop them by the broadcasters or face huge fines.

1 hour ago, J*B said:

It's not often I've publically backed the club in recent years, however in this situation...

Sports broadcasters have bought the rights to show football matches and highlights. Advertisers pay for advertising space before, during and after the matches. Advertisers have put the pressure on sports broadcasters to ensure all vlogs do not show match footage. Why? Because vloggers are monetising their vlogs and selling seperate advertising space on platforms like youtube. Briggsyboy is making money by filming the game and producing his vlogs.

While, as an example, barclaycard are paying top whack for each individual person that sees their billboard or advert during the match, or the highlights, much smaller companies are getting the same privileges for much less. Even if ONE person watches the vlog and sees key highlights, that's one person that isn't watching the official broadcasts. 

This categorically isn't the club going out of their way to stop people filming the game for no reason. It's the club being forced to stop them by the broadcasters or face huge fines.

BriggsyBoy doesn’t accumulate nowhere near enough views or has anywhere near the level of subscribers you need too make money off YouTube. Not even close. His videos usually go out after the highlights are available too watch so is it really that much of an issue? I think It’s a shame football clubs have started too do this, people like Briggsyboy should be encouraged rather than discouraged. Social Blade is pretty reliable as a guide for how much YouTubers are making based on the amount of views and subscribers a person has. They have BriggsyBoy down as earning between 27-460 pound a YEAR. I think the lad just enjoys it as a hobby and like I said, he should be encouraged to do that but at the same time you can understand why clubs are doing it based on what you said. It’s a shame.. I’ve attached his Social Blade as a reference. Hopefully he hasn’t been doing it as a full time job ?

F1739E36-B942-49C9-A4BB-3D26F5005AB7.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J*B said:

I don't know what other clubs are doing but I do know that there are still lots of vlogs of other clubs easily available which contain match highlights.

No one watches the lads or the girls vlogs for the quality of the few minutes of highlights they contained, that is for sure.

Perhaps a total ban on fans taking any form of recording device into the ground is needed.

I also doubt that these vlogs are monetized, never having seen an advert on either, I do not know if there are other ways to get money from them.

I understand the rationale, just don't agree.

1 minute ago, Butty said:

BriggsyBoy doesn’t accumulate nowhere near enough views or has anywhere near the level of subscribers you need too make money off YouTube. Not even close. His videos usually go out after the highlights are available too watch so is it really that much of an issue? I think It’s a shame football clubs have started too do this, people like Briggsyboy should be encouraged rather than discouraged. Social Blade is pretty reliable as a guide for how much YouTubers are making based on the amount of views and subscribers a person has. They have BriggsyBoy down as earning between 27-460 pound a YEAR. I think the lad just enjoys it as a hobby and like I said, he should be encouraged to do that but at the same time you can understand why clubs are doing it based on what you said. It’s a shame.. I’ve attached his Social Blade as a reference. Hopefully he hasn’t been doing it as a full time job ?

Interesting stuff thanks. I follow a vlogger who does airline and train trips and just jacked his job in to do it full time. He must be coining it with ads and patreon etc. Way to go.

• Like 1

On 22/01/2019 at 12:06, Parsonblue said:

His actions are always in the best interests of the club - you may not like them or always agree with them, but he always has the best interests of the club at heart.  John Williams wasn't everyone's cup of tea but he too, always had the best interests of the club at heart.  I've found Steve to be the same.  Personally, I think we are lucky to have him.

John Williams never charged more for tickets on matchday.

50 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Interesting stuff thanks. I follow a vlogger who does airline and train trips and just jacked his job in to do it full time. He must be coining it with ads and patreon etc. Way to go.

Some of the biggest Youtubers earn absolute millions and millions yearly! I think it works out roughly at around 2-5 dollars per 1,000 views you get on a video. Don’t quote me on that but it’s around that figure. 

11 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

John Williams never charged more for tickets on matchday.

He also never had to steer the ship whilst trying to rebuild the infrastructure left behind after nearly a decade of gutter level, self-serving executive malpractice.

So swings and roundabouts imo.

The kid could earn more by doing a paper round. In fact he probably doesnt even cover his matchday expenditures each year. I highly doubt money is his motivation but I agree this is more the TV companies coming down on them. Its the way the club is grabbing hold of these kids during the matches is what rankles me.

2 hours ago, Butty said:

You can't really work like that though - yes you're allowed to film because you're only earning £200 / year, but you earning £5000 / quarter are banned. It's just a total ban. It's the only way. Briggsyboy is monetizing his videos. He's earning, albeit not fortunes, money from showing matches he hasn't paid to show.

Equally it doesn't matter if it's released after the highlights. The above shows 13k people are watching his highlights who may otherwise watch the official highlights. That's 13k per month, there's at least 2 do it at Rovers, so that's 26k a month, 20 Championship clubs so that's 500k a month people who otherwise could be watching official highlights. Spread that across the Prem, League 1 and the SPL too? I bet there's 3-5m people a month missing the advertising space that's been bought, whilst the vloggers can cream money off the top through viewing figures. It just can't happen.