BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers ban Briggsyboy videos

42 minutes ago, J*B said:

You can't really work like that though - yes you're allowed to film because you're only earning £200 / year, but you earning £5000 / quarter are banned. It's just a total ban. It's the only way. Briggsyboy is monetizing his videos. He's earning, albeit not fortunes, money from showing matches he hasn't paid to show.

Equally it doesn't matter if it's released after the highlights. The above shows 13k people are watching his highlights who may otherwise watch the official highlights. That's 13k per month, there's at least 2 do it at Rovers, so that's 26k a month, 20 Championship clubs so that's 500k a month people who otherwise could be watching official highlights. Spread that :rover: the Prem, League 1 and the SPL too? I bet there's 3-5m people a month missing the advertising space that's been bought, whilst the vloggers can cream money off the top through viewing figures. It just can't happen.

I view both vlogs and official highlights, not one or the other, and consider myself a standard type viewer.

I think the PL has bigger problems with piracy. Highlights of a professional standard with goal and highlights of major match incidents on multiple replay being avaiable within minutes of the game end.

I do a search after all Rovers games and will be keen to see post game vlogs today, I am confident of not being disappointed.

GOD bless free enterprise, Down with Big Brother.

36 minutes ago, USABlue said:

So glad we are monitoring and stamping out this sort of fan's hobby instead of wasting time signing players

It's about Budget and sensible controlled use of resources and assets. If we still had that 7 mil we'd have skips at Ewood marked for phone and camera deposit pre match

It’s like blummin Groundhog Day in here.

Yes, there might have been a way to handle it better.

But if you need to get your daily club/Waggott kicking fix in then you should probably do it somewhere else - it starts to make it look like you can’t read.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

But if you need to get your daily club/Waggott kicking fix in then you should probably do it somewhere else - it starts to make it look like you can’t read.

Bringing it back to the issue at hand, and not satisfying some people’s daily fellow fan kicking fix...

Does threatening to ban fans seem consistent with Waggott’s vision for the club?

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/16157162.steve-waggott-rovers-aim-to-become-community-hub-like-barcelona/?ref=ar

Steve Waggott, who has had spells at Southend United, Gillingham and Charlton Athletic, is aiming to turn Rovers’ home into what he described as an “innovative community stadium”.

And

He said: “I want it to be an innovative community stadium so that everyone from youngsters right up to senior citizens can come in 365 days a year. And through that we can hopefully attract new businesses in to see what we are doing.

Doesn’t really feel like he is living up to his own targets.

Come to think of it, aside from promotion (thanks to Mowbray’s relationship with Venkys and a huge L1 budget) I’m not sure what Waggott has actually done to improve the fan experience. It’s been nothing but developing commercial partners and other opportunities to bank the green - including increases and add-ons to ticket prices. Fans appear to be a necessary evil. Vbloggers fans are an unnecessary evil it seems.

Edited by Stuart
  • Like 1

In regards to this issue, it seems Waggott is in the right.

But I am still none the wiser as to why people think he has done such a good job.

Can people please enlighten me as to what differences he has made as an individual. Bar his ticketing policies which I am very critical of.

It is often said that "Mowbray and Waggott have turned around the club," to me only one of those definitely warrants being in that sentence. We was well on our way back (I think in the midst of a 6 game winning run and starting to really fire) before Waggott stepped foot in Ewood Park. Mowbray is the reason behind our up turn, not Mowbray and Waggott.

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead
47 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Is there any danger of you not being so sassy, pal? ?

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

In regards to this issue, it seems Waggott is in the right.

From “Innovative community stadium” to “get your phone camera out during the game and we’ll ban you”.

How long before kids posting free kicks and penalties on Facebook (with no financial reward) are threatened?

The football authorities and TV companies are going after the little guy because copyright law says they can. The club’s heavy handed way of enforcing it seems gratuitous.

Just now, Stuart said:

From “Innovative community stadium” to “get your phone camera out during the game and we’ll ban you”.

How long before kids posting free kicks and penalties on Facebook (with no financial reward) are threatened?

The football authorities and TV companies are going after the little guy because copyright law says they can. The club’s heavy handed way of enforcing it seems gratuitous.

You're allowed to post onto social media as long as it's not versioned for advertising purposes. 

RE Heavy handedness, would you prefer that Briggsyboy was allowed to continue and it cost the club up to hundreds of thousands of pounds?

For the first time since John Williams, to me the club seems a much more professional, joined up organisation and I am more than happy to give Waggott and Mowbray all the praise in the world for that.

However, for fan experience there has been nothing, well stuff has actually been taken away; Darwen End, Radio Rovers, shoddy programme etc. 

Indeed has there been anything since the fanzone was set up outside the Blackburn End about 8 years ago? To me Ewood is a very stale and neglected looking place. Luckily 18 months of winning matches at Ewood has made it moot, because at the end of the day it's all about winning games of football and we all skip up Livesey Branch Road at 5pm.

Other clubs are embracing fan culture - singing sections, craft ale bars and on it goes. Look at Stanley, there's less than 2,000 of their fans at matches, yet they have well organised displays in the Clayton End and a real connect between the fans and the board.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

Just now, J*B said:

You're allowed to post onto social media as long as it's not versioned for advertising purposes. 

RE Heavy handedness, would you prefer that Briggsyboy was allowed to continue and it cost the club up to hundreds of thousands of pounds?

Nope, and you’ve missed the point a little, as I’d rather they got him in to speak to him because they saw him as a potential asset to the club, and future employee or partner for our media department.

But might be a little too innovative for our senior management team.

Just now, Stuart said:

Nope, and you’ve missed the point a little, as I’d rather they got him in to speak to him because they saw him as a potential asset to the club, and future employee or partner for our media department.

But might be a little too innovative for our senior management team.

They can't employ him. He's a school kid. What do you suggest he does? One day in the future, maybe, if this is the start of a portfolio of work. But rule 1 is you've got to have a knowledge of what is and isn't allowed, which as it stands, he has no idea about.

3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

For the first time since John Williams, to me the club seems a much more professional, joined up organisation and I am more than happy to give Waggott and Mowbray all the praise in the world for that.

Again, I am unsure what gives Waggott a right to much if any of the credit. 

The main reason that makes everything seem so much rosier is results. Mowbray after a shaky period to allow the team to gel and adapt to League 1 had already started to generate a good run of results months before Waggott's arrival, indeed he joined either deep into or just following our run of 6 wins just before Christmas if my memory serves me well. By far the best signing of Mowbrays tenure was very much proving to be the catalyst and the whole mood had very much turned for the better.

The things he can be judged directly on, ticketing a primary example, he is very much open to criticism on.

5 minutes ago, J*B said:

They can't employ him. He's a school kid. What do you suggest he does? One day in the future, maybe, if this is the start of a portfolio of work. But rule 1 is you've got to have a knowledge of what is and isn't allowed, which as it stands, he has no idea about.

Did you even read my post properly, Josh? “Potential” and “future” were the words I used.

But the fact that he is a school kid is even more reason for a twice Family Club of the Year* to treat him better than threatening with a ban.

This lad already had a followership. This was a great opportunity for positive fan-reaching PR.

Waggott’s regime does nothing to engage fans and is simply all about generating revenue.

(*for it’s approach pre-Waggott. And in my view down to Lindsay Talbot and the team.)

The open restructuring/unveiling of the senior management team and the fact we even now have the focal point of Waggott as a CEO is massive.

For the first time in a long time I feel like I ACTUALLY know who is running the club day to day, and I believe they are doing it with the best intentions. It’s massively depressing that this even has to be a worry: but we are where we are.

I see Waggott as a pragmatist, and a bit of a bean counter, but with a long term view. It’s not exciting and some things can be frustrating, but - we need this. We were in an embargo a few years ago, Derek Shaw making stuff up, dodgy characters in every senior office. If we can get our house in order better than most in this league then we are a sustainable and attractive proposition for a buyer, or at the very least not have people taking the piss out of us for personal gain.

I have relationships with some pretty big corporate partners at a Rovers. The differences and huge improvements that they relay to me are unbelievably encouraging. The commercial department is doing a great job, bringing in fresh local sponsorship. Social media communication is great, the community outreach stuff is building well and has won awards. 

It’s easy to argue we should throw X/Y/Z at the chance of promotion, and that will sort everything out - but I certainly wouldn’t run my business like that, it’s suicidal thinking.

Therefore, I’m probably one of the few that really gets off on TM and Waggott tempering expectations and talking about “rebuilding”, “structure”, “sustainable growth” etc.

Taking over as distressed and disorganised a business as Rovers is a mammoth task. Things can always be improved in any CEOs tenure, and no one is above criticism - but you’ll find it hard to credit Waggott with much because a good business leader makes it so others take the credit whilst everything just happens to magically improve around them.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

The open restructuring/unveiling of the senior management team and the fact we even now have the focal point of Waggott as a CEO is massive.

For the first time in a long time I feel like I ACTUALLY know who is running the club day to day, and I believe they are doing it with the best intentions. It’s massively depressing that this even has to be a worry: but we are where we are.

I see Waggott as a pragmatist, and a bit of a bean counter, but with a long term view. It’s not exciting and some things can be frustrating, but - we need this. We were in an embargo a few years ago, Derek Shaw making stuff up, dodgy characters in every senior office. If we can get our house in order better than most in this league then we are a sustainable and attractive proposition for a buyer, or at the very least not have people taking the piss out of us for personal gain.

I have relationships with some pretty big corporate partners at a Rovers. The differences and huge improvements that they relay to me are unbelievably encouraging. The commercial department is doing a great job, bringing in fresh local sponsorship. Social media communication is great, the community outreach stuff is building well and has won awards. 

It’s easy to argue we should throw X/Y/Z at the chance of promotion, and that will sort everything out - but I certainly wouldn’t run my business like that, it’s suicidal thinking.

Therefore, I’m probably one of the few that really gets off on TM and Waggott tempering expectations and talking about “rebuilding”, “structure”, “sustainable growth” etc.

Taking over as distressed and disorganised a business as Rovers is a mammoth task. Things can always be improved in any CEOs tenure, and no one is above criticism - but you’ll find it hard to credit Waggott with much because a good business leader makes it so others take the credit whilst everything just happens to magically improve around them.

We were on the up and already had started signing younger players (Dack, Samuel, Nuttall etc) before he came. Im not convinced he has made much tangible difference to that or if he is, I would like specifics.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

We were on the up and already had started signing younger players (Dack, Samuel, Nuttall etc) before he came. Im not convinced he has made much tangible difference to that or if he is, I would like specifics.

How can you quote a post and not read it?

Never mind. Think what you want.

25 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

How can you quote a post and not read it?

Never mind. Think what you want.

It wasnt specifically aimed at you, I just dont understand how Mowbray and Waggott seem to be paired together, when one has made a blatant difference in turning us around and the other I am still in the dark about.

3 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Thank you.

Echoes what I have heard that Rovers has become a properly run club again remarkably quickly.

The Briggsy Boy situation is every CEO's nightmare- you are damned whatever you do.

Rovers have an ifollow/Sky  contract which confers video exclusivity and technically and in reality Briggsy compromised it. So you "don't notice" until put in the position creative ignorance is no longer tenable and you have to send Briggsy a letter which you know no matter how well it is phrased or officially presented, will unleash gnashing of teeth over big brother etc etc. I am sure Waggot didn't want to intervene but contractually it was a no brainer.

As a fan, Briggsy is a good watch but his videos weren't- I know what it is like to be in the crowd when Rovers score and thankfully I am tall enough and better focused to get better views than Briggsy offered. As to whether I want to see Briggsy's video clips after the event or an increasingly professional ifollow offering live for E6 each game, it is a non-contest, sorry Briggsy. 

20 hours ago, J*B said:

FFS give over! His vlogs are not watched for the quality of highlights and most certainly will not impact the Club of Sky Leeds.

100s of 1000s bollocks.

It is what it is.

But seeing the young lass in front of me being confronted by a steward and handed a letter with a load of fans gawking seemed a little sledgehammer to crack a nut-esque to me.

Could they not have just posted it? Or invited her in for a chat?

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1