BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

I've been away for a while

I used to be a regular poster on these forums from 2000 to 2012. I probably wasn't the only one at the time but the whole Steve Kean/Venkys fiasco effectively killed my love for football. Besides the odd international game I completely switched off from the game and it wasn't until this past world cup that I started to keep an eye on Rovers results this season.

My question is, in those years that I've been away, has the structure of the club improved, or is it still the hot mess that Kean, Venkys and Anderson left the club in back then or do Rovers fans now have something to be proud of again?

Thanks in advance for any input.

I'd say, whilst we're always only a second away from a Venkys moment of madness, the feeling among fans is that we have a manager we can generally trust and a team of players who try to play even if their ability is limited

Edited by gumboots
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, waynerovers said:

I used to be a regular poster on these forums from 2000 to 2012. I probably wasn't the only one at the time but the whole Steve Kean/Venkys fiasco effectively killed my love for football. Besides the odd international game I completely switched off from the game and it wasn't until this past world cup that I started to keep an eye on Rovers results this season.

My question is, in those years that I've been away, has the structure of the club improved, or is it still the hot mess that Kean, Venkys and Anderson left the club in back then or do Rovers fans now have something to be proud of again?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Mowbray has done a wonderful job of galvanising the team and the fans. A new Senior Leadership Team has just been announced which most people seem happy with. The owners continue to pump money into the club.

The club was a shell. It now appears to be a fully functioning entity, albeit one heavily in debt to owners who so far have been wilfully ignorant.

More than anything though I have a lot of respect for those that have stuck by the club and continue to watch Rovers at Ewood. 

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, waynerovers said:

Sounds like things have certainly improved since those dark days then. Looks like a play off position isn't beyond the realms of possibility either.

Who knows, it’s possible.

But the most important thing is that we are pretty much only talking about the football again.

The elephant will always be in the room whilst their name is above the door but they are rarely mentioned by any Rovers fans I go to the games with or people I speak to about Rovers. It's almost a case of out of sight out of mind.

Hopefully you can get to a game and see for yourself.

• Like 1

Not enormously different from the better days under Bowyer. Main ones being that I think there's more evidence that Mowbray can be the man to take us further. More importantly, he's clearly taken the time to sort out the structures at the club, in terms of recruitment etc.

Would echo others, you can never be sure what's round the corner with Venkys, but we feel like a normal football club, and we have a team and manager to be proud of.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Not enormously different from the better days under Bowyer. Main ones being that I think there's more evidence that Mowbray can be the man to take us further. More importantly, he's clearly taken the time to sort out the structures at the club, in terms of recruitment etc.

Would echo others, you can never be sure what's round the corner with Venkys, but we feel like a normal football club, and we have a team and manager to be proud of.

Yep, other clubs have taken our place as a laughing stock.

• Backroom
24 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Not enormously different from the better days under Bowyer.

I'd agree, although wayne seems to have completely missed the stability era so it's tough to make a comparison pre-2012 that would make much sense.