BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The best and worst individual display by a Rovers player

Would need to give this a bit more thought, but some early contenders from recent years are 

Best:

Bellamy against Middlesbrough, King against Stoke, Samba in a 1-1 draw at City.

Worst, Pascal Chimbonda in the 7-1 against Man United. Directly responsible for four goals in one game. The only time I ever remember thinking that I could genuinely do less harm to the team if I was plying instead of a professional footballer. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Would need to give this a bit more thought, but some early contenders from recent years are 

Best:

Bellamy against Middlesbrough, King against Stoke, Samba in a 1-1 draw at City.

Worst, Pascal Chimbonda in the 7-1 against Man United. Directly responsible for four goals in one game. The only time I ever remember thinking that I could genuinely do less harm to the team if I was plying instead of a professional footballer. 

what about Herold Goulon in the utd game

Just now, had.e.nuff said:

what about Herold Goulon in the utd game

There were a few contenders that day! 

Personally, I remember Chimbonda being worse, but that could have something to do with him being left on the pitch for the full 90 unlike Goulan, so giving him more opportunity to be awful. 

Samba at the draw at Upton Park sticks in my mind. 

My favourite of recent times though Bradley Dack/Danny Graham vs Peterborough at home. Fairly quiet game from both in terms of quality but through nothing but sheer will and work ethic they dragged us over the line. There's a lot of talk about the Doncaster game but that was the one that sent us up in all but the (P) being next to our name. One of my favourite ever nights at Ewood.

Edited by Mellor Rover

Not in a Rovers shirt, but I remember Nelsen playing against Italy for New Zealand when they drew in the 2010 World Cup.

This was at a time when the Sky Sports website used to do individual player ratings, with a 1/2 sentence caption next to each player. 9 ratings were very rare, I literally only ever remember seeing a 10 once, and it was for Nelsen after somehow they kept Italy to one goal from a dodgy penalty. Caption just read, 'Heroic'.

• Like 3

Best -  Shearer v Norwich in the 7-1, Flowers VE day just for the sheer significance of it it was a league winning performance, Speedie away to Plymouth that got us in the play offs I think and help make all that followed possible.

Worst - Duffy by a mile or fifty closely followed by Orr and Murphy v Peterborough at home. All not just stinkers but real I don't give a toss fingers up to the fans style non effort. What an awful period in the clubs history they made a massive contribution to.

Varney, Brown, Ashley Ward etc were poor time and again but they always tried !

5 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Duffy hands down for worst.

Flowers ve day is the one that Instantly came to my mind but I've probably forgot about one or two others. Duff and friedel but I couldn't recall which games. Just remember thinking they where out of this world coming off ewood.

Brad in the Worthy Cup ?  - That was another of his superman efforts.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
3 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Best would be a toss-up between Alan Shearer v Man United in a 2-0 victory at Ewood at Easter 1994 and Tim Flowers in a 1-0 victory over Newcastle on VE Day 1995 (the game which effectively won us the title).

Shane Duffy's disgraceful, nay shameful 2, own goals and a red card against Cardiff just before he fooked off to Brighton will never be 'bettered' for worst-ever performance.

Old Jam Fan wins!

Flawless Victory.

• Like 1

Speedie could also be in the frame for Newcastle at home and the first leg against Derby.

Good players having shocking debuts would include Salgado away at Everton -poor bloke was essentially stationary the entire game thinking he was still at Real Madrid - and Kalinic away at Newcastle whee he did at least five misses as bad as Brereton’s against Newcastle.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Speedie could also be in the frame for Newcastle at home and the first leg against Derby.

Good players having shocking debuts would include Salgado away at Everton -poor bloke was essentially stationary the entire game thinking he was still at Real Madrid - and Kalinic away at Newcastle whee he did at least five misses as bad as Brereton’s against Newcastle.

Ooijer had a shocking debut too, as I recall. Absolutely roasted by Drogba. Didn't take long for him to show his quality though, what a player.

Nice symmetry with Phil Jones a few years later. First league start at home to Chelsea. Difference being he had Drogba in his pocket.

3 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Ooijer had a shocking debut too, as I recall. Absolutely roasted by Drogba. Didn't take long for him to show his quality though, what a player.

Nice symmetry with Phil Jones a few years later. First league start at home to Chelsea. Difference being he had Drogba in his pocket.

Actually Berg’s debut was pretty dire too, a 4-1 pasting at home by Wednesday in our first semi-Final in a generation

Only been supporting since the 09/10 season and only 18 so unfortunately I don’t really remember the legends mentioned above. But in my 10 seasons I would have to say:

Best performance

4 goal Yakubu in a 4 - 2 win over Swansea in the 11/12 season or King hat trick in a 4 - 1 win over Stoke in the cup

Worst performance

Duffy in back to back defeats. 3 - 0 at Wigan and 2 - 1 at Cardiff a few days later. Scored 3 own goals, got himself sent off and ‘forgot’ to wear the Jack Walker remembrance black armband. Shortly after he ran off to Brighton.......

• Like 1

Shearer against Leeds at Ewood in 95 when we played the entire game with 10 men after Flowers had been sent off. Scored a penalty and then played the entire game isolated upfront on his own but still caused havoc. Best display of hold up centre forward play you could ever see.

Worst Is a lot more difficult because displays like Chris Browns get easily forgotten. 

• Like 6