BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The best and worst individual display by a Rovers player

4 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Worst, Pascal Chimbonda in the 7-1 against Man United. Directly responsible for four goals in one game. The only time I ever remember thinking that I could genuinely do less harm to the team if I was plying instead of a professional footballer. 

4 hours ago, had.e.nuff said:

what about Herold Goulon in the utd game

These 2 instantly leaped to mind when i read the topic.

55 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Shearer against Leeds at Ewood in 95 when we played the entire game with 10 men after Flowers had been sent off. Scored a penalty and then played the entire game isolated upfront on his own but still caused havoc. Best display of hold up centre forward play you could ever see.

Definitely. Truly the best performance  as a lone striker you will ever see.

• Like 2

Agree with the Shearer game against Leeds----truly awesome.

For best performance though, I'd say Douglas in 1963-4 when he was the best player in England. You could literally focus on a dozen of his games in that season and struggle to separate them. Spurs at Ewood maybe?

Worst, Delfuenso on his debut  and every game thereafter.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Maybe not THE best, probably not even HIS best...

But I saw this on YouTube a bit back and it’s still a joy to watch.

Just some chilled out 36 year old chain smoker bossing the game against prime era Gerrard and Alonso.

He adds a little cherry on top by placing Stevie G firmly on his arse and playing one of the greatest passes I’ve ever seen for what is still one of my all time favourite Rovers goals.

In fairness to the video makers, that appears to be a full vid of everything he did in the game, including rare mistakes.

Even with that considered, the footage from that one game looks a whole lot better than most players' entire career highlights (minus the goals). He had absolutely no right to have a game like that at 36 against Liverpool, no right at all, the impudent bastard!

What a player. I miss him. We'll never see the like again.

• Like 5

Hard to rank, but some of my best memories of performances...

Duff and Jones' debuts. I remember wondering where the hell we'd been hiding them and why.

Jones at 18 I think, shackling Drogba at his peak.

Friedel single-handedly keeping Arsenal out, away. We were peppered all game and somehow came out 2-1 winners I think it was.

Bellamy savaging Portsmouth with two goals, one of them utterly sublime.

Bentley smashing Manure.

Some of my worst that spring to mind...

Duffy, obviously, takes the cake. What was it, 3 own goals in about 60 minutes of consecutive football over two games? Should have been investigated, I swear that was match fixing dressed up as an unsettled player.

Fettis shipping 4 goals in a game...every time they shot it just flew in, no matter how poor.

Ostenstad in a cup game. Think it may even have been a quarter final or something. Against lower league opposition, and he was on the outskirts of the team so a big chance to impress. Never seen a more disinterested performance by a professional, ever. Remember him not 'chasing' what was basically a comfortable pass a few yards in front of him.

This season...Williams against Preston I think it was. I identified him as making mistakes on three of the four goals.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JeffRover said:

Only been supporting since the 09/10 season and only 18 so unfortunately I don’t really remember the legends mentioned above. But in my 10 seasons I would have to say:

Best performance

4 goal Yakubu in a 4 - 2 win over Swansea in the 11/12 season or King hat trick in a 4 - 1 win over Stoke in the cup

Worst performance

Duffy in back to back defeats. 3 - 0 at Wigan and 2 - 1 at Cardiff a few days later. Scored 3 own goals, got himself sent off and ‘forgot’ to wear the Jack Walker remembrance black armband. Shortly after he ran off to Brighton.......

Wow you picked an awesome time to start supporting this club.

Jay McCeverley when he marked a peak Beckham out of the game at Ewood v Man Ure, put him in advertisement hoardings as well I think ...or was it Ronaldo ?

Anyway I do remember thinking we've unearthed a hell of a young left back here but sadly not.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Jay McCeverley when he marked a peak Beckham out of the game at Ewood v Man Ure, put him in advertisement hoardings as well I think ...or was it Ronaldo ?

Anyway I do remember thinking we've unearthed a hell of a young left back here but sadly not.

Pretty sure it was Beckham. He was a bit upset. Which was nice. 

• Like 1

Best: Too many to pick from.. Off the top of my head, Phil Jones pocketing Drogba on his first league start for us in the 09/10 season. Bellamy at home to Boro 05/06, down to 10 men and scored an absolute worldie too win the game. Bentley’s hat trick at home too United 05/06 and also any Brad Friedel performance against United, too many to name!!                                                              Worst: Shane Duffy at Cardiff enough said. Danny Murphy at home to Peterborough, he got ran all over and was awful. 3-0 down at HT he was hooked off and never played a professional game again. Bradley Orr was also awful that game... Shabani Nonda, I loved the Nonda but I will never forgive him for missing those chances in the second leg against Leverkusen at Ewood when a goal would have seen us through. 

Edited by Butty
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Madon said:

Worst - Edinho Junior vs Leicester City in the Premier League. Wow... 

Was thinking this myself. No idea why Kean picked him, he looked like a kid that had won a competition, just looked lost and the few times he got the ball it just bounced off him.

Genuinely think that was an Ali Dia situation, within a year he was playing at Whitehawk!!!

• Like 1

So, so many to choose from.

Some of my personal faves from the 90's...

David Speedie vs Newcastle 91-92 - wound the Geordies up a treat and scored a hat trick to boot

Alan Shearer vs Man Utd 93-94 - complete centre forward display, only 1500 or so Mancs there that day in the upper tier of the Darwen End slowly disappearing in the last few minutes. Genuinely thought we were going to win it that season. 

Tim Flowers vs Newcastle 94-95 - Still not sure how we managed to hang onto this win.

Lars Bohinen vs Nottingham Forest 95-96 - Masterclass against his old club who had just gone 26 or so games unbeaten, two goals too and he just genuinely took the mickey out of them the whole game. Thought we had a hell of a player on our hands.

I will add Garner's five v Derby and Garner away against the great Ipswich side in the early '80s which we lost 4-3. The then England central defence of Osman and Beatie couldn't cope with him.

Scott Sellars put in some stunning performances but a game against Leeds comes to mind.

Duncan McKenzie v West Ham in 1979

Tony Parkes put in some shifts for Rovers too. Remember him dominating Palace in a 3-1 win Christmas 1977.

Trying to remember a cup game against first division opposition in which Noel Brotherston was unplayable against.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tomphil said:

I remember watching him play in the worthy cup semi at old Trafford and he was incredible that day. Think he cleared one off the line as well. He really looked the dogs. Another reason why I am always cautious about the word potential. For every one that comes good so many don't. Least he was free.

And it was beckham

He was the one who tackled cisse and broke his leg if I remember right

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 1

Bryan Douglas against Spurs. I think he got 10 out of 10 in the Sunday papers. Having said that he got 10 out of 10 a few times in the early to mid 1960's.

Big Brad in the cup at Arsenal.

Fred Else in a 1-0 loss at Burnley. Without him it could been half a dozen. He was only beaten by a pen and he got a hand to that.

Andy McEvoy against Arsenal in the 1960's. Dougie was out injured and Andy dropped down from striker and stood in for him in midfield. To say we never missed Dougie in a 4-1 win against the top of the league tells you all you need to know.

Too many good ones to mention really.

Bad performances - Ashley Ward and Christian " Bloody " Dailly had more than their share.

5 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I remember watching him play in the worthy cup semi at old Trafford and he was incredible that day. Think he cleared one off the line as well. He really looked the dogs. Another reason why I am always cautious about the word potential. For every one that comes good so many don't. Least he was free.

And it was beckham

He was the one who tackled cisse and broke his leg if I remember right

Wasn't that Lucas Neill ?

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Bryan Douglas against Spurs. I think he got 10 out of 10 in the Sunday papers. Having said that he got 10 out of 10 a few times in the early to mid 1960's.

Big Brad in the cup at Arsenal.

Fred Else in a 1-0 loss at Burnley. Without him it could been half a dozen. He was only beaten by a pen and he got a hand to that.

Andy McEvoy against Arsenal in the 1960's. Dougie was out injured and Andy dropped down from striker and stood in for him in midfield. To say we never missed Dougie in a 4-1 win against the top of the league tells you all you need to know.

Too many good ones to mention really.

Bad performances - Ashley Ward and Christian " Bloody " Dailly had more than their share.

Re the game against Arsenal, Pickering had an absolute stormer that day.

13 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Pretty confident mceveley did cisse

Think you are right actually.

Cisse did his leg in 04-05,  I remember going to Anfield the year after where our classy fans were singing "Cisse, Cisse, hows your leg?" all way through.

He then scored the winner in front of the away fans and danced, to show us that his leg was indeed fine. This somehow seemed to upset our fans for some reason :lol:

Edited by MarkBRFC