BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The best and worst individual display by a Rovers player

14 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Who gave the best performance you saw live against a rovers team ?

For me I remember going to Stamford bridge and arjen robben absolutely destroying us single handedly. I can't think of any player that played aswell against us. 

Kanchelskis did similarly for United I recall.

16 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

For me I remember going to Stamford bridge and arjen robben absolutely destroying us single handedly. I can't think of any player that played aswell against us. 

Two that stand out for me were both in losing causes and both at Ewood. Matt Le Tissier for Southampton in the mid 90s and Shearer for Newcastle in 2002. Le Tiss scored two screamers that day and was majestic all game despite us winning 3-2 (I think!), while in the other game Newcastle went down to ten men very early and were also 2-0 down, before Big Al single-handedly dragged them back into the game with a brace (I think one of them was a milestone goal) before we ran out 5-2 winners.

3 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Tony Adams for Arsenal at Ewood, 1992 -93. It was Rovers first year in the top flight. I'd been used to watching division 2 football, and without today's TV saturation I'd not seen much of him. His media caricature was that he was a donkey. Seeing him live changed my mind. He was a very classy player.

As for best Rovers performances, Shearer put in some amazing ones. He was on another level at times and you couldn't help but marvel at him. Sutton scored a hat trick one game early in his Rovers career, but Shearer was unplayable that day.

Friedel away at Arsenal was another. He performed heroics that day. 2002 ish?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Rudd Guilit, I think, was the Chelsea player manager when they came to Ewood one year. He played one half as a sweeper and one half as an attacker, absolutly unplayable on the day.

The way he read the game, he was 2 or 3 moves ahead of any Rovers player that day and he was seen by many as on 'the slide' by then!

• Like 1