BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The best and worst individual display by a Rovers player

2 hours ago, philipl said:

I will add Garner's five v Derby and Garner away against the great Ipswich side in the early '80s which we lost 4-3. The then England central defence of Osman and Beatie couldn't cope with him.

Scott Sellars put in some stunning performances but a game against Leeds comes to mind.

Duncan McKenzie v West Ham in 1979

Tony Parkes put in some shifts for Rovers too. Remember him dominating Palace in a 3-1 win Christmas 1977.

Trying to remember a cup game against first division opposition in which Noel Brotherston was unplayable against.

Forest away in a snowstorm?

• Like 3

Danny Murphy in that debacle against Peterborough, 3-0 down after about 25 minutes and I think he was hauled off before half time. 

Didnt lift a leg, that’s why I always want to throw something at the TV when he bangs on about ‘work rate’.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

Just now, rog of the rovers said:

How are we this far into the thread without mentioning.....

Brett Emerton's debut at home to Wolves!

Good shout. Thought he might have been even better than Duff after that one game :lol:

So very wrong.

I think David Dunn against Burnley deserves a shout in 2013. For the first time in probably forever he played the full 96 minutes or whatever it was and was absolutely everywhere that day before popping up with that goal.

• Like 1

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Danny Murphy in that debacle against Peterborough, 3-0 down after about 25 minutes and I think he was hauled off before half time. 

Didnt lift a leg, that’s why I always want to throw something at the TV when he bangs on about ‘work rate’.

On the iFollow service there are videos/interviews going back years.

One of the oldest ones at the moment is the first interview after Murphy signed.

I put myself through it.

You think he’s a wanker now?

It’s staggering. A bigger, twattier bell-end you could not wish to hear.

What the hell were we doing?

Will capture it and upload if anyone is feeling masochistic or wants to feel eternally grateful for the current squad.

For me shearer vs Crystal Palace. Debut. We’d paid mega money back then and I thought will we see a return. The class he showed on that day. My grandad said to me after that game if today’s anything to go by you’ll never see a better player in a rovers shirt. I haven’t but may be reading too much into it but wonder what he meant by YOU perhaps he’d seen better. 

Worst orr vs Wigan. Tbf can’t actually recall him doing anything (imagine) but his post match comments. Aaaarrrrgh 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Hard to lift them when they don't work anymore, no one in the entire football universe would've given him the deal he got here. Whoever swung that should be at the bottom of an Indian river wearing concrete boots !

Orr revealed the way Kean has handled himself calls for a great deal of respect.

"The gaffer stood out there tonight and took a lot of stick, I've got nothing but admiration and respect for him," Orr said.

"He's done everything he could to push us in the right direction and motivate us.

"The tactics, training, everything - one man who can look in the mirror and say he's given everything is the manager.

"I'll speak for the dressing room and thank him for what he's done, he's taken things on the chin that he shouldn't have had to.

"The supporters voice their opinions in whatever way they want towards the owners, the players and the manager. Sometimes a line can be crossed and the way the gaffer's handled things is exemplary.

"He's certainly the best I've worked with as far as managers go.

"It's easy for people to pass the buck but the reality is the group of players fell short, it's us that need to take responsibility.

"We've let the gaffer down because everything he's done has been geared to pushing us forward and we haven't done that."

4 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Orr revealed the way Kean has handled himself calls for a great deal of respect.

"The gaffer stood out there tonight and took a lot of stick, I've got nothing but admiration and respect for him," Orr said.

"He's done everything he could to push us in the right direction and motivate us.

"The tactics, training, everything - one man who can look in the mirror and say he's given everything is the manager.

"I'll speak for the dressing room and thank him for what he's done, he's taken things on the chin that he shouldn't have had to.

"The supporters voice their opinions in whatever way they want towards the owners, the players and the manager. Sometimes a line can be crossed and the way the gaffer's handled things is exemplary.

"It's easy for people to pass the buck but the reality is the group of players fell short, it's us that need to take responsibility.

"We've let the gaffer down because everything he's done has been geared to pushing us forward and we haven't done that."

Eugh 

Sorry to keep eulogising Bryan Douglas but when we beat Man Utd 3-0 at Old Trafford he ran them ragged. Bobby Charlton, Nobby Stiles, Denis Law _ They couldn't get near him. I've got a cartoon somewhere from the Manchester Evening News Monday night review of the game that shows Dougie weaving in and out of several Utd players and leaving them all on their backsides in total confusion.

The man was unstoppable on his day and this was one of them.

• Like 3

• Backroom

Worst: Orr and/or Murphy vs (I think) Ipswich under Appleton.

Best: I have to say Rio Ferdinand vs Man Utd, assisting in our 4-3 victory.

Also seem to recall a game where we beat Charlton. Think it was Curbishley’s last game for them as manager and it transpired Nelsen had been playing with a broken leg.

Bellamy v Boro, Flowers v Newcastle are the two that stand out for me. Honourable mention goes to Adam Henley for his marking of Raheem Sterling in the 0-0 at Anfield in the cup a few years back

As for the worst...Kevin Davies v Newcastle (not even able to take a crucial penalty and leaving it to Jeff Kenna to miss), Danny Murphy v Peterborough and I seem to remember an abysmal performance from Keith Treacy in the FA Cup against Coventry.

Only counting games I was at, otherwise Duffy at Cardiff would romp home 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Mighty Chaffinch said:

Bellamy v Boro, Flowers v Newcastle are the two that stand out for me. Honourable mention goes to Adam Henley for his marking of Raheem Sterling in the 0-0 at Anfield in the cup a few years back

As for the worst...Kevin Davies v Newcastle (not even able to take a crucial penalty and leaving it to Jeff Kenna to miss), Danny Murphy v Peterborough and I seem to remember an abysmal performance from Keith Treacy in the FA Cup against Coventry.

Only counting games I was at, otherwise Duffy at Cardiff would romp home 

What happened to Henley's form? He went from Welsh international who marked Stirling out of the game and turned into a clueless, shirt-tugging liability.

Edited by Pedro

2 hours ago, renrag said:

Another Bryan Douglas masterclass against Spurs was on a mud heap at WHL in the 1960 run to the cup final. Roy Vernon had gone to Everton a week or so before and Douglas was moved back from the wing to inside left. There was very little optimism on the way down but we needn’t have worried. The cultured Blanchflower and hardman Mackay had no answers even when they doubled up in their efforts to stop him. He inspired a comfortable 3-1 win but Spurs had their revenge in the league a week later with a 4-1 victory at Ewood.

A few years later he finished Danny Blanchflower's  career for good in the 7-2 thrashing of the all conquering Spurs team. I can still see  Blanchflower trying in vain to catch up with Dougie as he danced away from him time after time. I think Spurs went out and bought the young Alan Mullery to replace him shortly after that. To the younger Rovers fans who were never lucky enough to see Bryan play -  think Eden Hazard on a very good day.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

I’d love to meet him in person?

I used to work with a chap who went to school with him and he said he was a c*** 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

I do really really like Mowbray as a person and whenever I feel like slating him tactically etc. I think back to that era where I hated the owners, the manager, the players and after the way the likes of hunt, Agnew et al conducted themselves I hated the club as well. They damned nearly lost a fan forever there. Sadly few of my mates have been lost. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Have to mute the tele whenever that boglin comes on the box.

It's bad enough he stole a living from Rovers, he's now doing it from the license fee payer.

• Like 1