BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Your best 5 and worst 5 Rovers games!

Following on from the great thread earlier on about the best and worst performances you’ve seen in a Rovers I thought it’d be good to outline our favourite 5 and worst 5 games (and their dates) while we’ve supported Rovers. I’m only 18 and my first season ticket was for the 09/10 season so mine read as the following:

Favourite 5

1. Rovers 3 - 2 Burnley             18th October 2009

2. Man Utd 2 - 3 Rovers            31st December 2011

3. Rovers 4 - 1 Stoke                 14th February 2015

4. Liverpool 0 - 0 Rovers           8th March 2015

5. Doncaster 0 - 1 Rovers         24th April 2018

Worst 5 

1. Man Utd 7 - 1 Rovers             27th November 2010

2. Arsenal 7 - 1 Rovers               4th February 2012

3. Tottenham 2 - 0 Rovers         29th April 2012

4. Rovers 1 - 2 Burnley               9th March 2014

5. Wigan 3 - 0 Rovers                 13th August 2016

• Like 3

• Moderation Lead

Favourite 5

Rovers 5-0 Burnley

Rovers 3-2 Burnley 

Rovers 1-0 Newcastle (Bottle?)

Doncaster 0-1 Rovers

Burnley 0-1 Rovers (Olsson took a dive)

Worst 5

Rovers 1-2 Burnley

Man United 7-1 Rovers

Rovers 0-1 Wigan (When we went down. Horrible night).

Rotherham 2-0 Rovers (Spurr and Steele had a mix up, we were appalling)

Bolton 2-1 Rovers (Hadn’t even finished celebrating when they bagged from the kick off).

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 1

BEST

Rovers 4 Derby 2 play offs 92

Rovers 2 Man U 0 in 1994

Rovers 1 Newcastle 0 VE day

Rovers 2 Spuds 1 Worthy Cup

Burnley 0 Rovers 2 in 2000

WORST

Palace Play offs even though I only listened on the radio.

Losing to Sheffield Utd on penalties in 93

Rovers 1 Burnley 2 in 2014

The above 3 I felt pretty sick about after the game, probably because I saw none of them coming. Other games are just disappointing. Takes a lot to make me really feel gutted by football now.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

Great thread. Some are more obvious, so I've tried to think about some of the less obvious ones which have stayed with me.

In no particular order:

Best

2008 -  Everton 2-3 Rovers. Ince's first game, Dunn, Roque and a last minite Ooijer winner. Scenes at the end.

2004 - Fulham 3 - 4 Rovers. Watched the scores come in over Ceefax. Late winner, instrumental in keeping us up.

2008 - Bolton 1 - 2 Rovers. Don't really regard these lot as rivals, really, but Kev Nolan was on record as not liking us. He scores the best goal of his life and celebrated like mad, before a Samba header and a Jason Roberts deflection wiped the smile off his face. bliss.

2007 - Rovers 2 - 0 Man City. FA cup game. Amazing atmosphere at Ewood, they had high expectations and we were a total class above. Collectors item from Mokoena and a jubilant Matt Derbyshire in front of the Blackburn end at the end. One of the great Ewood moments of modern times.

2006 - Rovers 3-2 'Boro. Fairly inconsequential game in the end, but a game for me which signalled that we were back on the way up, after a couple of seasons on the wane. Good 'Boro side, with several UEFA cup finalists in the team. Scabbed their way to 2-2 after Savage's only career red card at club level. Bellamy was still too good for them.

Worst

2002 - Celtic - both UEFA cup games, for different reasons but both deserve to be included in the same breath. Horrible feeling.

2007 - Wigan 5 - 3 Rovers. I'm from Wigan, so the indignity of losing to a jumped up non-league team who have only ever had success due to a wealthy Blackburn fan was bad enough. That it should have been a special comeback win, had it not been for a dodgy Emerton red card, made it worse.

2014 - Sheff Wed 3 - 3 Rovers. Looked like Bowyer had timed the play off push to perfection. 3-1 up, last minute equaliser. Gutted. 

2009 - Rovers 2 - 2 City. 2-0 up on Sparky's return, with 5 minutes left. Chucked it away.

2007 - Rovers 0 - 0 Leverkusen. That side had a genuine chance of winning a European trophy, and knocking out Leverkusen would've set us well on our way. Still gutted when I think about it now.

• Like 2

I'll need time to think, as my viewing only goes back to the late 70's.

First thoughts........worst, I'll put it out there.

31/12/11, we win at the theatre of shite.........Ferguson from memory dropped Rooney and others for breaking curfew?

Had we lost 5-0, the dark lord would/must have been sacked?

I never thought winning at OT would be so bitter sweet. It kept the traitor in a job, and must have sent the loons into heaven.

We all know what happened next.

I couldn't get a ticket for the Bury promotion, and couldn't drive as too young.

FMC, at Uni, went on the coach on my own, racked up debt to go, but first piece of silverware for ages!

Derby County away, that led to the play off at Wembley. Leicester in the final.

Spurs at Cardiff.

Liverpool to win the PL.

I was at them all! A fantastic era in our history.

• Like 2

Best

Rovers 4 - 2 Derby (1992 play off semi)

Rovers 1 - 0 Sheff Wed (final day 92-93 season, purely because this was the last time I stood on the terraces at Ewood)

Rovers 1 - 0 Newcastle (VE day)

Burnley 0 - 2 Rovers (2000, first derby for me)

Rovers 3-1 Leeds (Boxing Day 1992)

Honorable mention to Rovers 1 - 0 Newcastle in 97/98... didn’t know it at the time but the last game I went to with my late Grandfather

Worst

Rovers 1-2 Burnley (2013-14)

West Ham 2-0 Rovers (94-95... also helped forge a lifelong hatred of Richard Witschge... soon forgave West Ham though)

Rovers 0-1 Spartak Moscow (95-96 I was absolutely gutted at this one... such high expectations)

Rovers 0-1 Wigan (The culmination of the Kean debacle)

Rovers 1-1 Blackpool (2014-15 - not entirely sure why this was the day, but this was where my boycott started. Something just snapped and the straw which broke the camels back came here)

Honorable mentions to Ince away at Wigan and to Rovers 7-1 Norwich... the only home game I missed in a decade, and my brothers first ever game (on my season ticket)... what a game to miss!

BEST

Rovers 5 Plymouth 2 - Feb 1975 Newton penalty, Plymouth fans invaded town

Bolton 0 Rovers 1 - Mar 1973 Faz last minute infront of 33,010 in div 3

Liverpool 2 Rovers 1 - May 1995 Jamie Redknapp may have got the winner, BUT…..

Rovers 1 Leicester 0 - May 1992 Speedie dive??

Burnley 2 Rovers 3 - Dec 1977 on the longside

WORST

Rovers 1 Burnley 2 - Mar 2014 end of an era

Rovers 1 Charlton 0 - Mar 1987 Full Members - had ticket couldn't go!!!

Spurs 2 Rovers 0 - Apr 2012 we recorded nil attempts on goal

Rovers 1 Chelsea 2 - Apr 2007 FA cup semis - so close

Wigan 3 Rovers 0 - Aug 2016 Duffy disgraces Rovers & football

Best

Rovers 5-0 Burnley

Rovers 4- united 3 (Bentley hatrick)

Rovers 1-0 Newcastle

Worthington cup final

Doncaster away (promotion)

Rovers 1-1 arsenal (first game 96)

Worst

Any defeat to united and Burnley

Cardiff away (Duffy)

Rovers 0-1 Crewe 00/01

Obviously only including games I was at so neither the 7-1 loss nor the wins at Old Trafford count. Here are 5 that spring to mind.

Best

Doncaster away last season

Worthington Cup Final (only was 9 but still remember!)

United 4-3 when Bentley got a hat trick 

Chelsea in the League cup quarter final, won on penalties

Burnley at home when Dunn scored a last minute offside equaliser

Worst

Brentford 1-3 Rovers (obviously)

Southend 2-1 Rovers (horrible journey and depressing to see us faltering in League 1

Rovers 1-2 Burnley when they broke the 34 year record

Bolton 2-1 Rovers (Big Sams last game)

Millwall at home in the quarter final FA cup replay. Chance to get to Wembley meekly surrendered.

I didnt include Wigan at home under Kean as relegation was all but mathematically secured beforehand. Swansea away that season was a particular low too. 

Promotion at Gigg Lane 

Worthington Cup Final

Derby home and away play off (class as one game)

Rovers 4 Man Utd 3 (Rio is a Rover)

Bolton 1 Rovers 4 (every time we beat them)

(so many more but keep it to 5).

Worst

Crystal Palace away Play off (Ian Miller miss)

Rovers 0 Bolton 1 (1979 Bolton promoted)

Port Vale 2 (or 3) Rovers 0 Night match in our promotion year under Kenny, drove up from West Bromwich, shocking performance!

Bolton 3 Rovers 1 (1999-2000 I think) sat in with Bolton fans with my 4 year old son, Blake scored, I celebrated, nearly filled in, stewards to the rescue!!

Rovers 0 Trelleborg 1 - drove like a madman from Reading where I'd been working, averaged around 85mph!! Got to ground as they kicked off.

Best:

1 derby (play offs 92)

2 dingles (5-0)

3 Newcastle (ve day)

4 Norwich 7-1 (1st vs 2nd)

5 spurs (league cup 02)

Play off final, full members special and naturally Anfield 95

Worst:

1 beating united at ot under kean (convinced he kept his job that day)

2 palace play offs (George Courtney)

3 Cardiff league cup (kean forfeit)

4 Man U 7-1 (sacking of fat Sam leading to madness)

5 first dingles defeat in 3 decades.

Edited by matt83

14 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Great thread. Some are more obvious, so I've tried to think about some of the less obvious ones which have stayed with me.

In no particular order:

Best

2008 -  Everton 2-3 Rovers. Ince's first game, Dunn, Roque and a last minite Ooijer winner. Scenes at the end.

2004 - Fulham 3 - 4 Rovers. Watched the scores come in over Ceefax. Late winner, instrumental in keeping us up.

2008 - Bolton 1 - 2 Rovers. Don't really regard these lot as rivals, really, but Kev Nolan was on record as not liking us. He scores the best goal of his life and celebrated like mad, before a Samba header and a Jason Roberts deflection wiped the smile off his face. bliss.

2007 - Rovers 2 - 0 Man City. FA cup game. Amazing atmosphere at Ewood, they had high expectations and we were a total class above. Collectors item from Mokoena and a jubilant Matt Derbyshire in front of the Blackburn end at the end. One of the great Ewood moments of modern times.

2006 - Rovers 3-2 'Boro. Fairly inconsequential game in the end, but a game for me which signalled that we were back on the way up, after a couple of seasons on the wane. Good 'Boro side, with several UEFA cup finalists in the team. Scabbed their way to 2-2 after Savage's only career red card at club level. Bellamy was still too good for them.

Worst

2002 - Celtic - both UEFA cup games, for different reasons but both deserve to be included in the same breath. Horrible feeling.

2007 - Wigan 5 - 3 Rovers. I'm from Wigan, so the indignity of losing to a jumped up non-league team who have only ever had success due to a wealthy Blackburn fan was bad enough. That it should have been a special comeback win, had it not been for a dodgy Emerton red card, made it worse.

2014 - Sheff Wed 3 - 3 Rovers. Looked like Bowyer had timed the play off push to perfection. 3-1 up, last minute equaliser. Gutted. 

2009 - Rovers 2 - 2 City. 2-0 up on Sparky's return, with 5 minutes left. Chucked it away.

2007 - Rovers 0 - 0 Leverkusen. That side had a genuine chance of winning a European trophy, and knocking out Leverkusen would've set us well on our way. Still gutted when I think about it now.

Good shouts. I was at that game where we bet city 2-0. Tidy goal from the Axe!

Those European games were frustrating. We deserved more. 

So difficult, and my answers would probably change on any given day, but today i'll go for...

1 - Liverpool 2 Rovers 1 - 1995

2 - Rovers 1 Newcastle 0 - 1995

3 - Rovers 4 Derby 2 - 1992

4 - Rovers 5 Burnley 0 - 2001

5 - Rovers 2 Spurs 1 (League Cup Final) - 2002

Worst...

Coventry 5 Rovers 0 - 1995

Rovers 0 Trelleborg 1 - 1994

Rovers 1 Burnley 2 - 2014

Swansea 3 Rovers 0 - 2012

Rovers 0 Milwall 1 - 2013

Favourites:

5-0 vs Burnley

3-1 vs Peterborough/0-1 vs Doncaster, both as important as each other and can't decide between them

7-1 vs West Ham

1-0 vs Newcastle in 95, talk about bottle

2-1 vs spurs 2002 cup final

Worst: 

1-2 vs Burnley, our demise was complete

7-1 at united was no fun watch

4-0 loss at Bolton under Bowyer

1-0 loss at Bolton under Lambert, possibly the most soul destroying game I've had the displeasure of watching

Milwall at home 0-1 when we had a chance of reaching Wembley

The 5-0 at Coventry (was it Boxing Day '95 in the snow? Orange ball!) was the game when it really came home to me that we had thrown away our chance to be a sustained player at the top of the Premier League. Big mistakes had been made that summer. Ray getting the job, no (proper) signings. A team that had fallen over the line needed refreshing from a position of strength and we blew it.

Obviously it wouldn't have lasted for ever, football was changing and we wouldn't have competed with the oil clubs, but we had a chance to really build the club up as the powerhouse outfit of the region outside the Manchester and Liverpool sides. In the blink of an eye it had gone

• Like 1

Wasn't boxing day, as i remember going to it on the train. Think it was early December, but yeah we just looked a complete mess. Think Sutton played centre half and Bohinen has to be subbed because he was colour blind and couldn't see the orange ball against the white snow or something!

Edited by MarkBRFC

Only picking games I actually attended

Top 5

1. Rovers 4-3 Man Utd - Bentley hat-trick....RIO RIO RIO

2. Rovers 5-0 Burnley - Watched highlights recently, seriously could have been 8-0

3. Rovers 2-0 Red Bull Salzburg - European demons finally overcome with two magnificent strikes from McCarthy and Bentley

4. Rovers 2-1 Spurs - Cardiff, League Cup win

5. Bury 0-3 Rovers - 1st away game I went to last season, so many Rovers fans, marked the start of our promotion run

Bottom 5

1. Rovers 0-1 Wigan - Relegation Night, the end of an era

2. Rovers 1-2 Bolton - Earlier in that season, massive game at home to Bolton, 0-2 down inside 5 minutes.

3. Rovers 1-2 Burnley - As soon as Rhodes hit the post, the tide turned.

4. Both Rotherham and Doncaster 2-0 Rovers - Two trips to Yorkshire that were awful and a complete waste of time.

5. Rovers 0-1 Crewe - At that point the lowest in my Rovers supporting life, real smash and grab, punch in the gut game. 

Edited by rog of the rovers