BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Kingston upon Hull - Saturday 26th January 2019 3pm

Here I am again, filling a void. Talking tosh.

Reet, they are Yorkshire, we are better.

It's apparently 111 miles according to an app I used between the two grounds (ours is better, I've been to theirs). One hour fifty seven, if the M62 isn't snowy.

They were founded in 1904, and are apparently a City. In the words of Shania Twain, "That don't impress me much".

They've won nowt, and got to the promised land in 2007, briefly. They share a  love of strange owner/s.

Head to head:

W 30

D 17

L 15

We had our first meeting in the FA Cup in 1947, when we won in a replay. First league meeting in the old Div 2, 22nd August 1949 at Ewood, 4-2 win. Last home league game, 13/02/16, lost as we know, Duffy played, enough said, 13,902, were there (could have been more, probably less).

They are nicknamed the Tigers. Not sure why, save for their kit. Our's is miles better. And we have a dog, a person's best friend. Tiger's are not friendly. And are not indigenous to the Humber?

Facts about them:

They are called Hullensians, we are Rovers.

They installed an independent telephone system in 1902. They were very proud of their white telephone boxes. We have got a red phone box on Clayton Street with more information on the ladies of the town that you would ever need.

They have a really long bridge to nowhere, so have we

Players - Danny Graham and Mark Atkins were both on loan to them. Far better here!

Actors - Tom Courtney, I'll give them that, beats Ian McShane? Just.

Comedians - Reece Shearsmith v Steve Pemberton - they can fight it out between themselves, mates!

Pop stars -  Beautiful South v Diana Vickers....I know who I'd prefer!

So there you have it. 

It's a big game. Three points would be great. Need to start winning games back to back. Momentum, according to Grease, is the word.

COYB's.

• Like 8

Fab preview.

OK, last season's home FA Cup tie probably the worst game of the season. This season Rovers v Hull promises to be the best game this season.

Why?

Hull are very exciting now with flying wingers and forwards, brilliant overlaps and diagonal passing winning the ball by pressing high up, snapping into tackles on the halfway line. Hull like to get 5 forward really quickly when attacking and Polish winger Kamil Growicki is lethal down their left.

At the time of writing, Hull top scorer Jerrod Bowen may be a Leicester player before Saturday replaced by Marc Pugh from Bournemouth who had his medical today.   

They had won 7 on the trot until they went to Villa Park and were 2-0 up early on there also but ended up fortunate to get the 2-2 draw.

What happened?

Villa out Hulled them.

Handed out some industrial grade tackling and went forward at pace exploiting the gaps Hull inevitably leave as they pour forward.

This is not a game for either Smallwood or Evans who are too slow physically and mentally for what Hull will throw at them. Thankfully both Nyambe and Bennett are quick at right back so we have defensive cover there. 

I'd look for Reed playing centrally and Armstrong on from the start to hurtle into the spaces in the Hull defence. 

Mowbray picks a team with pace and we can win this. If he goes conservative, we could easily lose by 3,4 or more.

• Like 2

Great preview, thanks.

Hull have an Aquarium but we have the majestic River Darwen and Canals.

I went to Hull once to get a boat to Holland. Don't remember much, got pissed, lost a lot of cash gambling and overslept resulting in being forcibly removed from the floating bean can. I don't like Hull. I saw no Tigers, just a couple of pink Elephants.

Rovers will win this 2-1

2 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Great preview, thanks.

Hull have an Aquarium but we have the majestic River Darwen and Canals.

I went to Hull once to get a boat to Holland. Don't remember much, got pissed, lost a lot of cash gambling and overslept resulting in being forcibly removed from the floating bean can. I don't like Hull. I saw no Tigers, just a couple of pink Elephants.

Rovers will win this 2-1

To be fair, the only time I ever went was to see a mate at Uni, and he took me to Beverley (not a euphemism), where there were pubs galore. I remember very little of that evening! Mick, if you are on here, get in touch!

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Williams

Rodwell Travis

Armstrong Dack Bennett

Graham

Subs: Leutweiler, Downing, Reed, Evans, Conway, Rothwell, Nuttall

Wouldnt complain at Rodwell and Lenihan continuing but difficult to leave out our best player and set piece taker.

Throughout our turn in form I have felt we have still been weak at full back. Bennett can go further forward and hopefully continue to help set up goals. Hull have 2 excellent wingers and Nyambe is a natural right back, and Williams is IMO slightly better than Bell especially at stopping crosses.

Reed isnt an automatic pick at the moment, his form has slightly dipped IMO coinciding with fatigue according to Mowbray. Definitely shouldnt play wide.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Raya

Rodwell Travis

Armstrong Dack Bennett

Graham

Subs: Leutweiler, Downing, Reed, Evans, Conway, Rothwell, Nuttall.

I'm sorry you are just wrong to include Williams.  He wont play for us again in my opinion.  Total shyte at this level and I'd put benno there if bell is unavailable.  Bells attacking nature puts wingers on the back foot , Williams is useless

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I'm sorry you are just wrong to include Williams.  He wont play for us again in my opinion.  Total shyte at this level and I'd put benno there if bell is unavailable.  Bells attacking nature puts wingers on the back foot , Williams is useless

Bells attacking nature ?‍♂️?‍♂️??

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Wishful thinking. Williams will play for us again. Thought he was alright the season we went down, but been utter bobbins this year.

Difficult one this for Rovers, up against the form side in the division. Its not out of the question that we can get another win under our belts, but also a draw would not be a shabby result either. If we can come away with something, it would be a decent result. Bowen vs Dack will be interesting to see, curious as to what center backs get the nod now that Mulgrew is nearing match readiness. What about Nuttall? Scoring goals, must be considered as well. Thats why Tony get paid the big bucks.  Meanwhile, I spoke with young Bobbi Hadgraft die hard Hull City supporter, about her love for the tigers as we countdown to kick off. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Raya

Rodwell Travis

Armstrong Dack Bennett

Graham

Subs: Leutweiler, Downing, Reed, Evans, Conway, Rothwell, Nuttall

Wouldnt complain at Rodwell and Lenihan continuing but difficult to leave out our best player and set piece taker.

Throughout our turn in form I have felt we have still been weak at full back. Bennett can go further forward and hopefully continue to help set up goals. Hull have 2 excellent wingers and Nyambe is a natural right back, and Williams is IMO slightly better than Bell especially at stopping crosses.

Reed isnt an automatic pick at the moment, his form has slightly dipped IMO coinciding with fatigue according to Mowbray. Definitely shouldnt play wide.

I'd say there is little chance of Rodwell in midfield.

• J*B pinned this topic

Got  a friend who is a Hull season ticket holder and goes every home game. He says they can score for fun at the moment but have a dodgy defence and a crisis where they have no fit centre backs. There is no point playing conservative for this as it plays into their strengths. We need pace and energy and exploit their weakness in defence. As others have said earlier Smallwood, Evans and Williams are too slow, pedestrian and generally too shyte to deal with a pacey attacking side in form. I also would be loathed to break up the back line other than Nyambe for Bennett. 

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan Rodwell Bell

Reid      Travis

Rothwell     Dack       Armstrong

Graham

Subt. Leut. Mulgrew. Evans. Smallwood. Nuttall Bennett Conway + Sub thats not williams. 

Edited by benhben
  • Like 4

In the last game Evans made something like 6 interceptions and Travis made 3. The worth of Evans and Smallwood is often dismissed, wrongly IMO. They aren't playmakers but you need partnerships on the pitch, which is why the emergence of Travis is so crucial. Travis gets forward more and the likes of Evans or Smallwood can do the defensive bit. 

Against a team like Hull who appear to attack in numbers, Evans or Smallwood could be crucial. Reed is a different type of player and not really a defensive mid. 

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Bell

Travis Smallwood/Evans

Armstrong  Dack   Bennett

Graham

2 minutes ago, philipl said:

They took that number to Villa. 

Remember they had won 7 on the bounce and are 8 unbeaten.

How many would we take to Hull in similar circumstances?  

About 1200,  I was expecting about 7/800 from them which is probably standard but didn't realise they were on such a run it seems Atkins is quietly rebuilding them.

I'd better add a thousand to my estimate !

2 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

I hope he's playing. He gave us two goals against Reading.

Where does it mention his name BTW?

In the preview, always had it in for him after I saw an interview way back in the day where he was dismissive of his home town team although I understand why he's a red.

At least he hasn't jumped on and off the Rovers/Utd bandwagon like that biker mon !

10 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

They are both shite. Bells attacking nature is a myth. Dont recall him getting an assist (may be wrong?) for us, horrendous crosser and so frustratingly reluctant to drive forward. We need a new left back urgently.

• Like 2