BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Kingston upon Hull - Saturday 26th January 2019 3pm

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

That'll be a first ?

1 hour ago, philipl said:

They took that number to Villa. 

Remember they had won 7 on the bounce and are 8 unbeaten.

How many would we take to Hull in similar circumstances?  

With a population of 284000, their current form and only a two hour journey I would have expected more to be honest. 

2 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Raya

Nyambe          Lenihan           Rodwell      Bell

Reed                Travis

Armstrong                    Dack                    Rothwell

Graham

Subs: Leutwiler, Mulgrew, Williams, Evans, Bennett, Conway, Nuttall 

That's exactly how I'd line up! Great team!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I'm sorry you are just wrong to include Williams.  He wont play for us again in my opinion.  Total shyte at this level and I'd put benno there if bell is unavailable.  Bells attacking nature puts wingers on the back foot , Williams is useless

Your going to play a right footed right midfielder with average pace and poor defending at left back over another player who is left footed but also poor. 

Need to be real do you honestly think the manager will do that. As for never playing for us again that's a wild thing to throw out as well.

I'll guarantee you now that William's will start at left back. Also for anyone else whose suggesting Mulgrew as a left back must never watch them play. He'd get destroyed and taken off by half time. 

He's no pace. Injury prone and would get no protection. That's why Mowbray plays two holding midfielders because our centre halves can't get around the pitch with pace.

1 hour ago, Tom Stinny said:

Your going to play a right footed right midfielder with average pace and poor defending at left back over another player who is left footed but also poor. 

Need to be real do you honestly think the manager will do that. As for never playing for us again that's a wild thing to throw out as well.

I'll guarantee you now that William's will start at left back. Also for anyone else whose suggesting Mulgrew as a left back must never watch them play. He'd get destroyed and taken off by half time. 

He's no pace. Injury prone and would get no protection. That's why Mowbray plays two holding midfielders because our centre halves can't get around the pitch with pace.

In all fairness to Mulgrew, when he first signed for us he was playing left back and looked great there. Pace has never been a strength of his, but he reads the game well. Gael Givet never had any pace, yet he starred for us at left back. 

• Like 1

Why will Williams start at left back? Bowen would have a field day. At least Bell has pace as well as being poor defensively and not just outright shite like Williams.

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

Why will Williams start at left back? Bowen would have a field day. At least Bell has pace as well as being poor defensively and not just outright shite like Williams.

Guy previously said he was injured don't know if he his or not. If he's fit bell plays.

3 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

In all fairness to Mulgrew, when he first signed for us he was playing left back and looked great there. Pace has never been a strength of his, but he reads the game well. Gael Givet never had any pace, yet he starred for us at left back. 

To be fair any defender who did not do absolutely crap under coyle would look amazing. If you put a defensive winger in front of him with pace then maybe. Otherwise he'll get done every day of the week.

Givet had a manager who made a career off being great defensively so the lack of pace could be gotten away with. Mowbray isn't on his level.

Just now, Tom Stinny said:

Guy previously said he was injured don't know if he his or not. If he's fit bell plays.

Ah I see, apologies. 

Thought you meant Williams is first choice on Saturday!

I'll guarantee you now that William's will start at left back.

I was just highlighting how totally shyte Williams is by saying Benno would be better, and he would.  Benno is a much better footballer than Williams and would cope better

Need to be real?  Have you seen Williams.  If he starts at Left back, their manager will put their best players Bowen and the polish chap on him and they will tear him to shreds.  He offers nothing going forward and this is also a reason that the opposition tend to push up against Williams, rather than Bell who does show forward intent.  I would question Mowbray as a manager if he chose to start Williams in any championship game, there will be better cover for Bell in the reserves than Williams.

If he starts on Saturday, mark my words he will be the cause of our defeat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

I was just highlighting how totally shyte Williams is by saying Benno would be better, and he would.  Benno is a much better footballer than Williams and would cope better

Need to be real?  Have you seen Williams.  If he starts at Left back, their manager will put their best players Bowen and the polish chap on him and they will tear him to shreds.  He offers nothing going forward and this is also a reason that the opposition tend to push up against Williams, rather than Bell who does show forward intent.  I would question Mowbray as a manager if he chose to start Williams in any championship game, there will be better cover for Bell in the reserves than Williams.

If he starts on Saturday, mark my words he will be the cause of our defeat.

I've seen William's, Bell and Mulgrew and in all honesty. None of them are great defenders. Mulgrew has that quality on the ball no doubt but lacks pace massively.

Our manager for the game will play Armstrong as the left winger which means no defensive cover will be provided. Given this a basic level of physical quality is needed. Bell is quicker and fitter. William's is quicker and fitter.

You can't just stand on a line at left back and get through a game. He'd be tested down the line. In behind and one on one. 

They aren't better players but for that position with the players we are talking about then Mulgrew would be the worst choice to play there.

If Rodwell hadn't done as well as he has recently while Mulgrew was out would people genuinely be saying we've to play all three of our centre halfs in defence? Not a chance, they'd drop Rodwell for Mulgrew not stick him at left back.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Raya

Nyambe          Lenihan           Rodwell      Bell

Reed                Travis

Armstrong                    Dack                    Rothwell

Graham

Subs: Leutwiler, Mulgrew, Williams, Evans, Bennett, Conway, Nuttall 

Yep that’s the team. Bit of everything is there.

That is also a young team, of which most are ours. Good future at rovers.

On the Hull side, I always thought that Jackson Irvine was a cracking player, hope he isn’t playing!

Edited by Fraserkirky

Hull side which drew at Villa but now 10 unbeaten in the league. Irvine appears to be injured.

• 1Marshall
  • 17Kane
  • 5Burke
  • 4de Wijs Substituted by McKenzie
  • 23Kingsley
  • 20Bowen Substituted by Lichaj
  • 22Henriksen
  • 6Stewart
  • 14Grosicki
  • 7Evandro Substituted by Batty
  • 29Martin

I think he’ll bring Mulgrew back in this weekend. Firstly he’s his captain, and secondly, our most potent threat are his set pieces. He’ll either bring him straight in for Rodwell or revert to the dreaded 3-5-2 to accommodate both. Only IMO, of course.

Be a bloody tough game this, reckon there will be one goal in it.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

43 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

I can't see us starting with both Armstrong and Rothwell on the wings; not enough protection for the defence.

It will be: Armstrong - Evans - Travis - Reed

I'm hoping that Nyambe is fit to come in at RB.

Agree with the Rothwell point, for this week at least. I would still want the option of him off the bench anyway, seeing as he was so effective last weekend.

Think Armstrong's a shoe in, as is Travis now. Nyambe being back fit throws a spanner in the works. I'd rather have him playing RB and Bennett moved forward, but who gets dropped? Reed, probably, if we're thinking that Reed and Travis in the middle might be a little too green, but it's not an easy one. 

Suspect that Tony will go with as you say though, with Bennett at RB and Nyambe on the bench. 

Bowen on the right and Grosicki on the left are two serious danger men. The missus is Polish, so I watch a fair bit of them. I always thought Grosicki is a handful. He is a very hard worker, direct and dangerous around the box. I know less about Bowen, but his stats are up there with anyone in the Championship. 

I watched the extended highlights of Hulls game at Villa last night. They looked about as dodgy as we can be at the back, especially from set-pieces. Abraham caused them a lot of problems with his direct running. I got the feeling watching that we could cause them problems. I just worry about our full-backs and the 2 Hull players I mention above. Bell needs to get tighter than he does and as for right-back, I would prefer Nyambe there. Grosicki is an experienced player and although Nyambe is younger, he is actually a right back and I think his strength could curtail Grosicki.

I just wonder does Mowbray have to play one of Mulgrew and Bennett to have his chosen captain on the field.  

• Like 2