BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Kingston upon Hull - Saturday 26th January 2019 3pm

• Backroom
35 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

What now for Mulgrew and Smallwood?

Smallwood should have been dropped from the first eleven long before he was. I have no problem with him on the bench as backup to harry the opposition for the last twenty minutes, but he's just not a starter in a decent Championship team. His effort can never be faulted, but sometimes you have to look beyond that. Travis has not only the work rate but far superior technical ability and an attacking quality which Smallwood lacks.

Injuries and suspensions will I'm sure play their parts going forward as far as CB is concerned, so I expect Mulgrew will feature again sooner rather than later. If we can get by without him long term then great, as his age and wage mean he won't realistically be here for that much longer. A class player though, so just a case of enjoying those moments of class for as long as he's still here.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, sparky12 said:

Correct he did. Can't understand people when Dack doesn't score for a few, got the assist today and gets his body everywhere, absolute handful for the defenders, even if he's just holding the ball up he does it in a way that the opposition players are in a spin, not to mention there was a lovely little megs from him in the 1st.

Missed a few chances lately but am with you, even when he is not on the boil, he works hard and offers those little moments of magic. besides, why would you not start somebody that is going to take most of the oppositions attention? Gives time and space for everybody else.

• Like 1

Just now, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

This will get jumped on by the dour 

Haha 

Nice stat -

“It's the first time in 12 years that Rovers have recorded four victories in a row in the top two tiers of English football.”

we’ve not improved though ?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Mentioned it earlier but is it a coincidence with Travis and Rodders being fixtures int he starting eleven?Travis particularly in CM but the clean sheets at the back go someway to suggest that a:, are two defensive midfielders really needed and b: Rodwell coming in and adding a certain calmness.

Not for me, more or less the whole reason for the turn in results since the new year. Big shout out to Armstrong as well who seems to have come of age. Looking positive for a decent run at the play offs albeit I think we'll fall a little short, not least as I think we're fighting four or five other teams for one, possibly two spots in the play offs. 

Hull weren't as tight on Dack as most teams are and I think this was a big reason for our fluidity first half.

Awesome from Bell and Bennett to snuff out the threat from Hull's wingers.

Travis and Rodwell brilliant and Evans was as good as I have ever seen him in any game including for Northern Ireland.

Just back, very bad traffic for some reason.

Excellent performance today, probably the best of the season.

Our midfield bossed the game, Evans and Travis didn't give them a moment on the ball, and Armstrong and Reed bombed forward giving us great attacking options.

The back four looked solid, Rodwell reads the game so well and Bennett had his best game at RB.

Well done TM and the boys, 4 wins on the trot makes us one of the form teams in the division. COYB

That was a fantastic performance and win.  Well done TM and team.  The level of harrying today was outstanding.  Now get  a couple of signings in and Keep the momentum going.  If we can get 9 points in Feb we will be bang in the mix with home fixtures in March.

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Doug said:

Just back, very bad traffic for some reason.

Excellent performance today, probably the best of the season.

Our midfield bossed the game, Evans and Travis didn't give them a moment on the ball, and Armstrong and Reed bombed forward giving us great attacking options.

The back four looked solid, Rodwell reads the game so well and Bennett had his best game at RB.

Well done TM and the boys, 4 wins on the trot makes us one of the form teams in the division. COYB

Green Lane bridge closure doesn't help Livesey tail back.

First half was our best performance in a long while. Raya picked out Graham's ball control a few times and although Dack was quiet he gave Armstrong his goal. Like you say Rodwell reads the game and was rewarded with a goal. Clever signing as he's obviously a higher level player.

An excellent first half followed by a steady second half. Having seen 180 minutes of Hull this season they are the worst team that I have seen this season that they can go on such as run as they have been on tells you all about the standard of this league. 

Raya- As easy an afternoon as he will probably have all season.

Bennett- Did ok but he does try to play too many extravagant passes for a defender, some times like last week it comes of but it can also needlessly play us into trouble.
Lenihan-Looks a different player alongside Rodwell. That's no criticism of Mulgrew but he look like he enjoys being the leader of the back line.

Rodwell- If there was a debate about bringing Mulgrew back if he was fit today, there will be no debate about next week, another classy performance. Let's hope Mowbray is a bit more enthusiastic tonight about a new contract.

Bell- A quiet afternoon didn't have a lot to do in defence and wasn't involved in many attacks. But he didn't do anything wrong for the second game in a row which is progress.

Evans- Last week I said he had gone back to the Evans of old after an excellent first few months to the season but today he was much more like the Evans of the first few months of the season. A frustrating player, he can have a game like today where he dominates the midfield but then other weeks you won't even notice that he's playing.

Travis- What can you say about the lad he hasn't had a bad game yet. Looks like he has been playing at this level for years rather than a few weeks. His emergences meaning the splitting up of Evans and Smallwood has been crucial to this run.

Reed-A testament to just how good a player he is that he is our best central midfielder, is being playing out of position and he is still one of our best players. Sign Him Up!

Armstrong- Amazing what his cameo at Milwall has done for him. Looks a different player, oozing confidence and also seems to have bulked up a bit as well.

Dack-He might not be scoring but still having a great impact. Beautiful ball through to Armstrong for the opener and for the third goal some fantastic tracking back which forced there player in to giving the ball away from which we broke and scored.

Graham- The knock down for the opener epitomises what he does best. Bullied there back line. Class.

Of the subs Rothwell impressed again, he is only going to get better the more that he plays. Technically as good as anyone that we have. 

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 5

Hallelujah! Wanted us to play this style for a while but just not seen it enough.

Just got so used to a typical Rovers performance -1) set up 4231 with a rigid back 6, 2 wide players stuck out and Dack and Graham miles away ie not as a unit 2)slow start with no energy 3) falling behind and only playing in the second half 4) my real bugbear, a real Rover trope –picture poor Lenihan at the back picking up the ball after a few sideways passes, being closed down and looking up only having the option to send it long to Graham, or long diagonal hoping to hit Armstrong or aimlessly down the line.

So today, 1), 2) and 3) reversed. Yes we still played with TMs beloved 4231 but this time an energetic Dack played much deeper and we got some lovely quick 2 touch stuff going on (Hallelujah). There were options with players closer together as a unit. Essentially, we passed it slickly and effectively even in tight situations. This was particularly helped by an intelligent Travis who can deal with this. Also by a poor Hull side who allowed us do it. And then occasionally, we did go long with much more control and conviction. Add to that, we got every second ball in the first half, pressed with high energy hunting in packs (Evans, Reed and Travis constantly nicking the ball) and got our 1st goal as reward and didn’t tire too much at the end. Icing on the cake, a lovely finish from Reed to dink it over the keeper that Messi would have been proud of.

Well done Rovers –highly enjoyable and definitely appreciated by a delighted Rovers crowd.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mellor Rover said:

Also, special mention to Bell today. He didn’t give Bowen a single second on the ball and frustrated the in form player in the division where he just gave up after the third went in. End of the left back debate.

Can't remember who but there's a few on here would prefer Williams at left back instead of Bell....

I said in the build up that I was worried TM would revert back to the cautious Smallwood Evans partnership and bennett and Conway on the wings. Fair play TM and the players. Sounds like our best performance for some time. 

Pleased to be proven completely wrong. How is Reed not in Southamptons team? Crazy

Nice to see Armstrong chipping in with some goals at the moment. 

Edited by benhben

Well well well, wasn't expecting that, we've been crying out for a performance like that in the first half at home all season and the way we pressed high, passed the ball through midfield and took the game away from the opposition inside the first 20 mins was imo the best we've played under TM since he came to the Club.

Second half we understandably eased off a bit and reverted back to our normal style of play hoofing long balls and losing possession. But then the third goal on 70 mins settled any potential nerves, the introduction of Nuttall provided a bit of fresh impetus up front and after that we were comfortable again.

Travis and Rodwell were absolutely awesome. Travis is so good It beggars belief that he hasn't been playing before now and Im not entirely convinced that like Palmer he wasn't playing at Sheff Utd. to put him in the shop window to send him out on loan before Smallwood's suspension forced TM's hand. However he's taken his chance brilliantly and we're all the better for it. He's so influential you can actually get away with playing either Evans or Smallwood alongside him, although to be fair Evans had his best game for a long time today.

Rodwell looks so composed he seems to bring an air of calm to the back line and am I right in thinking we haven't conceded a goal since he's been  brought in? Let's hope it's not too late to convince him he has a long term future here.

Bennett had a much improved game at RB. The only slight negatives were Graham who once again was poor and never in the game and Dack's recent tendancy to drop way too deep when we really need him in danger areas where he can do some damage.

Overall though, much better in terms of performance especially if we can play like we did in the first half more often.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, benhben said:

I said in the build up that I was worried TM would revert back to the cautious Smallwood Evans partnership and bennett and Conway on the wings. Fair play TM and the players. Sounds like our best performance for some time. 

Pleased to be proven completely wrong. How is Reed not in Southamptons team? Crazy

Nice to see Armstrong chipping in with some goals at the moment. 

I think this is a big reason. Evans and Smallwood are too similar, we need somebody more creative next to them. Reed or Travis alongside Evans or Smallwood and we're good to go i think. Would love Reed and Travis next to eachother but even the most attacking Tm aint gonna do that. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
22 minutes ago, CP Company Lad said:

Very impressive result that against a team bang in form. My cousin text me and said you won at a canter. We didn't get out of the stalls till the 2nd half. 

Good comeback win away from home. Saw you one down and figured it was the start of your wobble. 

Norwich, Boro, and Swansea next tho.

Is this the time we start to see the familiar bottle job? ?