BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Brentford v Rovers

Terrible result, reminiscent of the Bowyer days when we always seemed to self-destruct whenever the playoff places started to look like a real possibility. The difference from then is that today we have a team of young players on the up, and that the club has gathered a bit of momentum over time for the first time in ages. It's no surprise that we become a highly weakened team without both Graham and Dack, let's just hope it will happen as seldom as possible.  

• Like 1

Not sure I can bear to read through the thread, so apologies if I'm repeating or going over trodden ground.

Well... it was at least an interesting game. I'd say the first 15 minutes was more Brentford playing awful than us being particularly good and everything from about 40min on was more Brentford playing some incredible football than us being particularly crap... Have to tip your cap to that Mapauy-Benrahma combination. They were immense. I noticed beforehand Brentford's oddly low in the table for having a positive goal difference. Forget the exact numbers, but it was something like 8 of their 10 wins (9 of 11 now?) are by 2+ goals, while pretty much all of their losses have been by 1 goal. Perhaps they've been having moments of madness like the first 15mins too often.

Nevertheless, obviously a disheartening game.

Bennett's showing he can handle RB against less technically skilled squads, but he got lit up today. His enthusiastic tackles looked amateurish rather than brave/aggressive. Hope Nyambe's fully fit soon.

Evans had his first poor game in awhile. Travis showed his usual enthusiasm and was alright overall, but (in a soft voice not upset anyone too much) he's starting to show that he's not the most technically gifted of footballers...

Armstrong had a few bright spots, but seemed to tire by the end. Shame about the forced subs.

It was hard to see clearly from the away end, but I thought Brereton was our only real bright light when he came on. Promising, I thought. Conway was a pretty poor sub given the game was obviously starting to pass us by at the time. He may add veteran 'nous', but we needed someone who could run... I'm guessing many were calling for Rothwell instead, but dare I suggest Smallwood would've been a better bet at holding the fort?

Nuttall... threw himself about a bit, but his play with the ball at his feet can be downright pathetic...

Edited by RoverCanada

8 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

There was no need to suggest I'm drunk or thick just because I see the mirth you appear to be deriving from others' misery. Schadenfreude.

Granted, it seems I didn't pay enough attention to your exchange amidst the maelstrom of posts here to see the nuance that when you said you were here for a laugh, you were replying to the rhetorical question of whether you're a Rovers fan, and not contrasting your state of mind with the OP's when he said he wasn't OK because he was disappointed with the defeat. Also granted, I'm an intellectual amoeba in the presence of a luminary such as yourself.

Still don't think that's good cause to call me drunk or thick.

Apologies for the misunderstanding, that’s just the way it came across.

I’m getting a little heated I can see - maybe I DO care??? ?

and FYI everyone I’ve got GCSEs and a BTEC so suck on them tomatoes peabrains.

3 minutes ago, RoverCanada said:

Bennett's showing he can handle RB against less technically skilled squads, but he got lit up today. His enthusiastic tackles looked amateurish rather than brave/aggressive. Hope Nyambe's fully fit soon.

Nyambe isn't injured. It is Mowbray's decision not to even pick him in the squad.

Edited by Ewood Ace

2 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Apologies for the misunderstanding, that’s just the way it came across.

I’m getting a little heated I can see - maybe I DO care??? ?

and FYI everyone I’ve got GCSEs and a BTEC so suck on them tomatoes peabrains.

Very well, apology accepted as long as it isn't more of that famed sarcasm.

Ah shit, I'd best put my BA dual honours in the bin, no wonder I can't keep up.

• Backroom
19 minutes ago, Commondore said:

It's no surprise that we become a highly weakened team without both Graham and Dack

And yet both Tony and a good portion of our fans seem happy with not spending available money in the window. Hmm. We didn't strengthen a great deal in the summer either, so when exactly do we plan to add some actual quality to this squad? Can't help but look at the Championship right now and think a couple of decent signings might have us in those playoff places rather than being constant nearly-rans due to lack of squad depth. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DE. said:

And yet both Tony and a good portion of our fans seem happy with not spending available money in the window. Hmm. We didn't strengthen a great deal in the summer either, so when exactly do we plan to add some actual quality to this squad? Can't help but look at the Championship right now and think a couple of decent signings might have us in those playoff places rather than being constant nearly-rans due to lack of squad depth. 

Exactly this. Leeds are still 2nd and they aren't exactly world beaters - as we showed twice over (almost).

Although TM does make baffling subs at times, our bench does look very worrying full-stop. I was certainly concerned about any injuries today.

3 minutes ago, DE. said:

Not sure I agree with that. There’s 6 points between 8th and 18th, all of whom could beat each other; we are in with that pack rather than being nearer the playoff pack. I think we are 4-5 players short of a genuine playoff run.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, RoverCanada said:

Not sure I can bear to read through the thread, so apologies if I'm repeating or going over trodden ground.

Well... it was at least an interesting game. I'd say the first 15 minutes was more Brentford playing awful than us being particularly good and everything from about 40min on was more Brentford playing some incredible football than us being particularly crap... Have to tip your cap to that Mapauy-Benrahma combination. They were immense. I noticed beforehand Brentford's oddly low in the table for having a positive goal difference. Forget the exact numbers, but it was something like 8 of their 10 wins (9 of 11 now?) are by 2+ goals, while pretty much all of their losses have been by 1 goal. Perhaps they've been having moments of madness like the first 15mins too often.

Nevertheless, obviously a disheartening game.

Evans had his first poor game in awhile. Travis showed his usual enthusiasm and was alright overall, but (in a soft voice not upset anyone too much) he's starting to show that he's not the most technically gifted of footballers...

Armstrong had a few bright spots, but seemed to tire by the end. Shame about the forced subs.

It was hard to see clearly from the away end, but I thought Brereton was our only real bright light when he came on. Promising, I thought. Conway was a pretty poor sub given the game was obviously starting to pass us by at the time. He may add veteran 'nous', but we needed someone who could run... I'm guessing many were calling for Rothwell instead, but dare I suggest Smallwood would've been a better bet at holding the fort?

Nuttall... threw himself about a bit, but his play with the ball at his feet can be downright pathetic...

Having contemplated for 5 hours in a Richmond bar , the game really tilted on who scored the 4th goal.....Graham and Dack going off did  not help the situation !!! Brentford to be fair were no mugs going forward ....

• Backroom
1 minute ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Not sure I agree with that. There’s 6 points between 8th and 18th, all of whom could beat each other; we are in with that pack rather than being nearer the playoff pack. I think we are 4-5 players short of a genuine playoff run.

In comparison to the teams around us our major deficiencies (imo) are LB, RB and CF. Two of those are first team issues (none of our full backs are great, although Nyambe is getting better) whilst CF is squad depth as we have nobody decent to cover Graham. I think we're fairly well stocked in other areas, enough to support a playoff push at least. 

7 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Do you think it would take 4-5 players to make up our 4 (potentially 7) point gap? 4-5 fairly average to decent ones maybe, but I'd say just one quality player in the right area (I'd say defence given our weakness there) could do the job.

• Like 1

• Backroom

Well that went south! 

I hope our season didn’t peak at 2-0, playoffs in touch, looking unbeatable then implosion ala Bristol away (at least Palmer can’t be blamed this time)

I said on the twitterverse this morning that Nyambe should be playing and I feared Bennett has been shoehorned in because of him being Mr Rovers at the moment. To not have Nyambe on the bench is just silly.

Glad it sounded like Brereton looked more confident but there’s little else to be cheery about, at least I’ve never met or ever likely to meet a Brentford fan so it’s hard to dislike them!

Rough one that. Can not fathom that performance after the same eleven were so slick last weekend against Hull. However, it goes to show what our resources are like without DG and Dackie boy.  Nuttall still a lot to learn, looked a bit lost out there when he came on.  Conway did'nt offer much. Would have liked to see Rothwell given 30 minutes, he was electric last week. Its a tough one, but this is the Championship, each weekend their will be one or two "weird" results, and today was our day. Forrest and Stoke also a bit yo-yo at the minute. Anywho, words from the fans, Mowbray and more. 

Bring on Bristol City next weekend.... win that, and we are back in the hunt!

15 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Do you think it would take 4-5 players to make up our 4 (potentially 7) point gap? 4-5 fairly average to decent ones maybe, but I'd say just one quality player in the right area (I'd say defence given our weakness there) could do the job.

A modern day Colin Hendry or Mike Newell would do it ...

• Like 1

Just got home...

I thought they were really really impressive... how come they are only 17th in the league??  I thought their no 21 was really good... 

I think we are a decent mid of the league team.. if we want to progress we need significant improvements in my view.. Having a chunk of league 1 players in the championship just isn't going to work.. we need a few premier league players with a big chunk of championship players if we want to kick on.

Please don't play Bennett there again Mowbray also am I the only one who spent rate Lenihan... 

Also what's the obsession with Conway.. he's had one good game in the last 12 months... typical Mowbray over loyal.. Rothwell should deservedly be gutted 

Edited by Darwen Rover 007
Addition
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

No strengthening in the transfer window was a huge error.

I notice Britt scored 2 for Boro today

Do you think it's at all possible that when we signed Brenn we actually thought we were getting Britt?

Stranger things have happened.

Although losing and conceding five goals is annoying and frustrating I have to say I thought some of Brentfords football today was exceptional and they fully deserved their win. Their play in and around our penalty area was extremely difficult to play against. The quick movement, one two's, spinning in behind and movement off the ball was as good as anything I have seen in the Championship this season. From an analytical point of view there is plenty for Mowbray to look at and whilst he does that he has to analyse himself and his staff. His changes were poor and once again he made several positional changes when using substitutes when one positional change would have done. 

One real cause for concern was how our players looked at each other after three of the goals. It seems that they were trying to pass the buck whilst exonerating themselves. A bad day for us and the sooner we can get fifty points the better which has been my opinion since August.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

Just got home...

I thought they were really really impressive... how come they are only 17th in the league??  I thought their no 21 was really good... 

I think we are a decent mid of the league team.. if we want to progress we need significant improvements in my view.. Having a chunk of league 1 players in the championship just isn't going to work.. we need a few premier league players with a big chunk of championship players if we want to kick on.

Please don't play Bennett there again Mowbray also am I the only one who spent rate Lenihan... 

Also what's the obsession with Conway.. he's had one good game in the last 12 months... typical Mowbray over loyal.. Rothwell should deservedly be gutted 

I've been saying all night their a far better team than us, but people totally disagree, how? I don't know. It's cause they've lost their manager, they went tits up for a couple of months, but their back to their best now.