BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Brentford v Rovers

Just now, rigger said:

Because Tony Mowbray isn’t picking him 

Maybe there's personal reasons or something it's odd he's not been in the squad after being a regular but again highlights a transfer window just gone, a reluctance to do anything but only 1 proper RB on the books !  This attitude of it's ok we've got a few round pegs to chuck in a square hole if need be soon bites on the arse it'll end up the same at CB & CF before the season is out.

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

Good point, Bennett isn't brilliant at full back but AA doesn't offer any cover whether he plays left or right. However, AA is better on the right IMO so the need for a top quality RB must surely be a priority if Nyambe has fallen out of favour. 

I haven't seen anything that means he should be out of favour.. tbh he's been really good when he's played.. 

Bennett has had his day.. we need to be progressing and Tony needs to be slightly more ruthless in my view 

Just now, Darwen Rover 007 said:

I haven't seen anything that means he should be out of favour.. tbh he's been really good when he's played.. 

Bennett has had his day.. we need to be progressing and Tony needs to be slightly more ruthless in my view 

I like Nyambe but there must be a reason he's been dropped unceremoniously from the first team squad. 

7 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I don’t think we’ll do it, loads of sides around the top 6 and I foresee further slappings away from home.

But, if we do finish fairly strongly, top 8 or so, and continue to improve the squad, then...

‘this time next year Rodders...’

What will be different this time next year? We could be in a relegation battle.

Will we make the necessary signings in the Summer? We have one loan signing that has made an impact this year, other than that it has been Mowbray’s league one team. We had money to spend in the Summer and in January and we haven’t made good choices in either.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Nearly men for a season or two , then a decline is my prediction.

2013-2015 version 2.

We were very nearly men under Mackay so nowt new apart from the eye watering sums of money a wage bill lol

Oh and the breaking up and selling off of the recent version which no one in their right mind would rule out again by next summer if the overdraft is maxing out again in India.

Edited by tomphil

Watching the highlights again, it’s either Travis or Evans who does a piss poor attempt at closing down the shooter: positioned too far back, half-hearted run then turned their backs. Something I didn’t notice for the killer third goal is that, when the ball loops up, Rodwell puts both his hands up clearly signalling “C’mon Raya!” then reacts late to the dropping ball. Still a horrendous clanger by Raya but a clear assist by Rodwell - Hendry/Moran/NcNamee would’ve attacked that ball and flattened the striker.

2 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Watching the highlights again, it’s either Travis or Evans who does a piss poor attempt at closing down the shooter: positioned too far back, half-hearted run then turned their backs. Something I didn’t notice for the killer third goal is that, when the ball loops up, Rodwell puts both his hands up clearly signalling “C’mon Raya!” then reacts late to the dropping ball. Still a horrendous clanger by Raya but a clear assist by Rodwell - Hendry/Moran/NcNamee would’ve attacked that ball and flattened the striker.

Said before that the reason I'm not convinced by Rodwell is that he doesn't attack the ball.  He cost us a goal at Wigan by letting it bounce.

19 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Nearly men for a season or two , then a decline is my prediction.

2013-2015 version 2.

Sorry, that’s not good enough, Matty.

The dilemma now is getting where we need to be with Mowbray still in charge. He has become a symbol for being an honest football bloke and people are rooting for him. Including me if people can believe that.

But, if we are really to believe that we have a new, improved Senior Management Team headed up by the ultra-professional Steve Waggott then we have to believe he would get in a better manager - if/when the time comes - than Coyle. If he can’t and we still fear a duff managerial appointment then this board is just another charade: the constant in the Venky’s conundrum.

Not saying it is. 

Just how I foresee things turning out. Things may be different if money is consistently spent on improving the squad. 

However, the rub is, you can end up chasing your tail as it’s a two way street and our better players end up over the hill and/or sold.

My view on yesterday:

Thought we started excellently for the first 25 minutes (just like last weekend), the difference being we didn't kill Brentford off when we could and probably should of. Armstrong forced one excellent goal - line clearance and one well placed free kick that just lacked a slight bit of pace. Graham also scuffed a shot wide but we looked a major attacking threat from open play which was great to see. In my opinion, Travis was fouled in the build up to the first Brentford goal but that is clutching at straws really. However, as the game wore on we started to pick up a lot of niggling injuries notably Dack, Graham, Reed and Travis who have all been vital recently. That coupled with two very poor goals to concede caused their heads to drop and after that we were ripped apart at will. In my view this is totally unacceptable, having taken a very decent following to the other end of the country. After that we offered very little attacking threat meanwhile Bennett was being targeted time and again at right back. 

I thought the habit of conceding daft goals had been ironed out in training over the last month with three successive clean sheets, but obviously it hasn't. Looking longer term, if we have any aspirations of making an assault on the top end of this league our away goals conceded record has to decrease substantially. We've shipped one 5, a couple of 4's and numerous 3's as the season has unfolded. Going forward Mowbray needs to swallow his pride and install Nyambe back into the team. I haven't forgotten and never will forget the great job Mowbray has done and will continue to do, but the fans need to see us compete in far more of these away games. We've been blown away in too many second halves this season. That also doesn't change the fact that had I been offered this position before game week 1 I would've snapped your hands off, but as some have said this looks like our greatest chance of top six since relegation in 2011/12. 

In the three away games I've attended this season, we've conceded 11 goals. I have to say I won't be rushing back to many more in the near future. COYB!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

I like Nyambe but there must be a reason he's been dropped unceremoniously from the first team squad. 

He was 19th man last weekend according to Mowbray and he must have been in the same position yesterday, hence his shirt being up in the dressing room posted pre-match.

Mowbray mentioned in his article yesterday about Bennetts long term position that he doesnt see him as a right back but he didnt/couldnt change the positions ahead with Armstrong and Reed doing well. 

It would have been interesting to see the team he would have picked next week, was it not for the injuries that I presume may force his hand somewhat. Nyambe has to be the first back in. If Evans and Travis are both injured, that would potentially mean Reed central and Bennett wide.

• Like 1

Watched Rayas clanger there again. We would have lost the game anyway, but my god it was a windy and half hearted attempt at a clearance. 

In a way I think we scored the two goals too early. We aren't ruthless enough under Mowbray. Never have been. We don't know how to protect a lead. We are good at chasing a team who are ahead or scoring when level. We are rubbish holding any type of lead. The only way we can do it is if the other team basically give up. When teams keep going we are too fragile and look lost as to what we should do. Maybe we just aren't good enough at patiently holding onto the ball and killing the game. 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Watched Rayas clanger there again. We would have lost the game anyway, but my god it was a windy and half hearted attempt at a clearance. 

In a way I think we scored the two goals too early. We aren't ruthless enough under Mowbray. Never have been. We don't know how to protect a lead. We are good at chasing a team who are ahead or scoring when level. We are rubbish holding any type of lead. The only way we can do it is if the other team basically give up. When teams keep going we are too fragile and look lost as to what we should do. Maybe we just aren't good enough at patiently holding onto the ball and killing the game. 

When we got our noses in front last season quite a few teams thought it was game over. Teams in this league know who we are now and what our failings are. They know we haven't got a full 90 minutes in us and no matter what the score if they keep pressing they'll get a reward.

3 hours ago, JeffRover said:

My view on yesterday:

Thought we started excellently for the first 25 minutes (just like last weekend), the difference being we didn't kill Brentford off when we could and probably should of. Armstrong forced one excellent goal - line clearance and one well placed free kick that just lacked a slight bit of pace. Graham also scuffed a shot wide but we looked a major attacking threat from open play which was great to see. In my opinion, Travis was fouled in the build up to the first Brentford goal but that is clutching at straws really. However, as the game wore on we started to pick up a lot of niggling injuries notably Dack, Graham, Reed and Travis who have all been vital recently. That coupled with two very poor goals to concede caused their heads to drop and after that we were ripped apart at will. In my view this is totally unacceptable, having taken a very decent following to the other end of the country. After that we offered very little attacking threat meanwhile Bennett was being targeted time and again at right back. 

I thought the habit of conceding daft goals had been ironed out in training over the last month with three successive clean sheets, but obviously it hasn't. Looking longer term, if we have any aspirations of making an assault on the top end of this league our away goals conceded record has to decrease substantially. We've shipped one 5, a couple of 4's and numerous 3's as the season has unfolded. Going forward Mowbray needs to swallow his pride and install Nyambe back into the team. I haven't forgotten and never will forget the great job Mowbray has done and will continue to do, but the fans need to see us compete in far more of these away games. We've been blown away in too many second halves this season. That also doesn't change the fact that had I been offered this position before game week 1 I would've snapped your hands off, but as some have said this looks like our greatest chance of top six since relegation in 2011/12. 

In the three away games I've attended this season, we've conceded 11 goals. I have to say I won't be rushing back to many more in the near future. COYB!

That's the problem though isn't it pal, 2-0 up and we all know that things will probably still go wrong if we don't score another one or two. It's poor. The defence needs sorting, big style. Manager isn't doing anything to address it. Mulgrew, lenihan and Roswell are all converted centre back, we don't have one proper centre back in the squad. It's baffling for me.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Unless he got a shout. Which is probable

3 hours ago, AAK said:

That's the problem though isn't it pal, 2-0 up and we all know that things will probably still go wrong if we don't score another one or two. It's poor. The defence needs sorting, big style. Manager isn't doing anything to address it. Mulgrew, lenihan and Roswell are all converted centre back, we don't have one proper centre back in the squad. It's baffling for me.

The plot thickens when you consider the following:

Home goals conceded in 15 league games -  15

Away goals conceded in 15 league games -  31

You read that right, we’ve conceded THIRTY ONE away goals this season. That is a truly staggering statistic and quite frankly a disgrace. I know we have conceded some silly goals at home (the Birmingham game springs to mind) but what is so fundamentally different about our approach to away games, as quite often it’s the identical back 4 to the home games?

1 hour ago, JeffRover said:

The plot thickens when you consider the following:

Home goals conceded in 15 league games -  15

Away goals conceded in 15 league games -  31

You read that right, we’ve conceded THIRTY ONE away goals this season. That is a truly staggering statistic and quite frankly a disgrace. I know we have conceded some silly goals at home (the Birmingham game springs to mind) but what is so fundamentally different about our approach to away games, as quite often it’s the identical back 4 to the home games?

Mentality thing.