BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Unpopular Rovers Opinions

18 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

One day (soon maybe) they will be back in the Championship along side us and they will be fan owned. 

Imagine having people who actually care about the club making the decisions! Good luck to them ( and Luton too for that matter)

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Whats that, languish in League 1? 

See Crimpshine above.

If I felt like the club had some connection with me again then I'd watch us down the leagues certainly. Right now I am happy because of the manager + playing staff however in one transfer window that could all change again. The only constant is the owners and my popular opinion on them is that they are shitehawks.

32 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

One day (soon maybe) they will be back in the Championship along side us and they will be fan owned. 

Imagine having people who actually care about the club making the decisions! Good luck to them ( and Luton too for that matter)

Portsmouth aren’t fan-owned since 2017 when former Disney CEO Michael Eisner bought them.

• Like 2

Portsmouth gave up on the fan owned model because they realised after a couple of seasons that if they had any ambitions of climbing back to the Championship or Premier League rather than floating around Leagues One and Two for a long time then they needed more cash and the only way of getting that was by handing the club over to an investor.

Quite ironic really that the one club that was driven closest to extinction by a succession of poor foreign owners and whose fans battled so hard to get the club into supporters hands only lasted a few years before reverting back to being foreign owned. Another example of big crowds meaning very little except perhaps to attract the tycoon to buy them, as despite having crowds 3 or 4 times those of most clubs in the bottom 2 leagues they still needed more cash to propel themselves upwards.

I think the only fan controlled clubs in the League are Exeter City, Wimbledon and Wycombe.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

Portsmouth aren’t fan-owned since 2017 when former Disney CEO Michael Eisner bought them.

Sorry - That is very true but the fans voted to allow him to take over and made sure he was going to run the club in a way that they approved.

I think the Portsmouth Supporters Trust still has a seat on the board.

10 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

Sorry - That is very true but the fans voted to allow him to take over and made sure he was going to run the club in a way that they approved.

I think the Portsmouth Supporters Trust still has a seat on the board.

They may or not have a seat on the board I'm not sure. But even if they do it is very much a token gesture. One of the terms of the deal was total control. Eisner was putting that much cash in that he's pretty entitled to want complete authority over it.

Fans did get too vote. How much that means in my opinion isn't a huge deal. All it takes is a small bit of media spin. No fan can really know what potential owners are like. And there were no caveats as part of the deal in terms of Eisner had to do a, b, c.

A couple of my good mates were shareholders (I live in Portsmouth) and I was a little perplexed when they were happy to sell to Eisner. But these are just normal people who'd put in about a grand or so of their own cash to buy the club when it could have gone into extinction. But they could see there was no possible progression unless the club was sold.

• Like 1

• Backroom

Mowbray seems like a great man but is probably only a good manager, like Bowyer he got a lot of credit on the back of him being a genuinely decent bloke in a time of shysters! 

4 minutes ago, JeffRover said:

Ewood was built for a different more successful era, so we should remodel it into a 20 k capacity stadium to improve the atmosphere.

I have said this for years. Single tier dome stadium with a "kop end" of sorts with the away fans in a corner. It would be the first time I'd assume a club would rebuild a stadium smaller but it's definitely required.

Ewood just needs the Riverside stand redoing with a smaller capacity and as close to the pitch as the JW that would help the atmosphere no end it would contain what murmurs there are out of there  and give the BBE occasional noise something else to bounce off, like most other grounds in other words.

Team needs building first though, I hope Tony isn't saving these mythical surplus transfer funds in a Post Office account to donate to the building of a Tony Mowbray Riverside Stand !

• Like 2

Mowbray should give the Wingback formation another go.

Would have a Dack and Armstrong in natural positions. More game time for Brereton as a striker.

We have no wingers.

Can play three at back with Lenihan, Rodwell and Charlie.

Edited by Fraserkirky
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

Mowbray should give the Wingback formation another go.

Would have a Dack and Armstrong in natural positions. More game time for Brereton as a striker.

We have no wingers.

Can play three at back with Lenihan, Rodwell and Charlie.

That formation would be so heavily reliant on the fitness of 3 injury prone centre backs with no back up.

Armstrong has been superb from a wide position lately as he was last season, Chapman is a wide man and Rothwell is capable there.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Ewood Park should be converted to a stadium design max capacity 20k.

And level the pitch.

Never seen the point in this notion. Spending a lot of money to reduce our capacity to 8k less than we got in a game at the end of last season.

Close the Riverside for now, by all means, though. Some like their cheap seats though and wouldn't like it.

*As an overseas fan, I don't feel any particular way about Burnley. I do sympathize with the extra joy or gloom it brings other supporters when we win or lose against them, but for me personally they're just another team. 

*Tom Cairney was never that good. 

*The fact that our current team sports four players straight from the academy that have proven to be dependable or better at Championship level has been supremely underrated.