BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Unpopular Rovers Opinions

1 hour ago, Mellor Rover said:

On a fan forum? Thought that was pretty obvious to be honest.

My two comments on the thread titled "Unpopular Rovers OPINIONS" were that I haven't seen a left back other than 2 I thought was better than Bell. A fair opinion which you responded saying this didn't make him any good, which i hadn't said.

Followed by me making a joke about him being the third best in the league, with a wink, which you seem to have been offended by. You're not Derrick are you?

Is the last bit Cockney rhyming slang?

On 05/02/2019 at 15:52, Roverthechimp said:

Alan Shearer is not a nice bloke and hates being reminded that he won the league at Rovers.

On 05/02/2019 at 15:57, WIR Second Coming said:

Well, he isn't that nice, and whilst he doesn't hate being reminded about the Prem win with Rovers, he does wish it had happened whilst he was a barcode instead - i know, I've spoken to him about it in the Diamond Inn, Ponteland, a few years back on a Friday night before he went big into punditry

Not the words of a man who has the opinion of the club that you suggest!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

I know this is a thread to be contrary, but Alan Shearer is one of the all time great strikers in this country and we had him when he was one of the world’s top forwards. Newcastle never really had the player that we had after his injury for them in ‘97. The bloke was phenomenal.

It was a privilege to see him in the colours of my beloved Blackburn Rovers and I’ll take the memories to the end of my days.

This is exactly why it annoyed me so much that it seemed to be "off limits" for some reason.

On 08/02/2019 at 08:55, Mattyblue said:

I know this is a thread to be contrary, but Alan Shearer is one of the all time great strikers in this country and we had him when he was one of the world’s top forwards. Newcastle never really had the player that we had after his injury for them in ‘97. The bloke was phenomenal.

It was a privilege to see him in the colours of my beloved Blackburn Rovers and I’ll take the memories to the end of my days.

So frankly anyone slagging him off can get to f*ck. 

Amen to that.

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Absolutely crazy.

If we got to the play off final I suspect you wouldnt have that view.

Take the euphoria and that hypothetical sense of achievement out of the equation - and where would you rather be on a cold February night? 

The hint of having something to play for and a genuine chance in every game or just to be a sideshow and statistic in an oligarch’s playworld?

I never said I don’t want to be promoted.

I’d just rather be in the Championship.

1 hour ago, S8 & Blue said:

I’d rather we were in the Championship than the Premier League.

A view I could never get my head around.

What's your ideal season? 3rd and lose the play-off final? Finish 7th just outside the play-offs? 

My best Rovers memories are seeing us win trophies (2002 cup - too young to remember 95), see top players in the blue and white, play in Europe, upset the traditional big boys - playing in the Premier League makes all of that ten times more likely to happen.

The quality of it is a bit overrated IMO, as is the hype, but I can't wait until we're back.

edit - also the things that come with it such as seeing Ewood fairly full each game with some atmosphere!

Edited by frosty
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, frosty said:

A view I could never get my head around.

What's your ideal season? 3rd and lose the play-off final? Finish 7th just outside the play-offs? 

My best Rovers memories are seeing us win trophies (2002 cup - too young to remember 95), see top players in the blue and white, play in Europe, upset the traditional big boys - playing in the Premier League makes all of that ten times more likely to happen.

The quality of it is a bit overrated IMO, as is the hype, but I can't wait until we're back.

Ideal season? 

We’d win this league and get to do it again.

Or a version of this league.

The oligarch human rights abusing uber-marketing tourists clubs are not representative of nor longer playing in the same universe as those memories that we all enjoy.

I want them to have their European “Super League”.

I see The Championship winners as the true “Champions of England” now.

I’d rather be here as a Leeds/Derby/Fulham/Norwich/WBA etc than a perennial also ran in the land of the giants like Everton et al.

It IS an unpopular opinion, I know.

(Probably get a ban again ?)

1 hour ago, S8 & Blue said:

Take the euphoria and that hypothetical sense of achievement out of the equation - and where would you rather be on a cold February night? 

The hint of having something to play for and a genuine chance in every game or just to be a sideshow and statistic in an oligarch’s playworld?

I never said I don’t want to be promoted.

I’d just rather be in the Championship.

The 2 are not mutually exclusive though.

And when does it stop? Surely its better to be back in League 1 as we are not only competitive, but a big fish in a small pond and dominant. I see the irony of having something to play for baring in mind we almost certainly dont this season and we are barely into February.

There is the objective of seeing my club be successful as possible play at as high a level as possible, against some of the worlds best players at some of the biggest stadiums, with bigger crowds. (Im not petty enough to turn my nose up and belittle those who arent diehard fans and for whom promotion would make it more likely for them to attend) 

And this isnt me only wanting to see Premier League, me glory hunting etc. Due to age and circumstance, ive seen Rovers play away at Southend, at Rochdale, at MK Dons, at Bristol Rovers, but not at the Emirates, at Stamford Bridge or Old Trafford.

As far as im concerned, promotion would be solely a positive thing, I came away from Ewood today gutted as I suspect any flicker of a play off push has now been eliminated with a defeat. But if I saw the prize of promotion as a negative, then I dont see how I could be so emotionally attached and desperate for Rovers to win every week!

42 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The 2 are not mutually exclusive though.

And when does it stop? Surely its better to be back in League 1 as we are not only competitive, but a big fish in a small pond and dominant. I see the irony of having something to play for baring in mind we almost certainly dont this season and we are barely into February.

There is the objective of seeing my club be successful as possible play at as high a level as possible, against some of the worlds best players at some of the biggest stadiums, with bigger crowds. (Im not petty enough to turn my nose up and belittle those who arent diehard fans and for whom promotion would make it more likely for them to attend) 

And this isnt me only wanting to see Premier League, me glory hunting etc. Due to age and circumstance, ive seen Rovers play away at Southend, at Rochdale, at MK Dons, at Bristol Rovers, but not at the Emirates, at Stamford Bridge or Old Trafford.

As far as im concerned, promotion would be solely a positive thing, I came away from Ewood today gutted as I suspect any flicker of a play off push has now been eliminated with a defeat. But if I saw the prize of promotion as a negative, then I dont see how I could be so emotionally attached and desperate for Rovers to win every week!

I agree with much of that, of course my initial statement is quite reductive.

I just absolutely fucking hate going into 1/3+ of games knowing that we are going to lose and that we are just someone else’s warm up for their Champions League qualifiers or for their bollocks “Super” Sundays.

Give me a 5-2 on Brentford’s terrace when we are in and chasing the game with 3 strikers on the pitch ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

I just think the PL is boring as shit for anyone but the tourists and I prefer to watch and have a stake in The Championship.

It’s the real “greatest league in the world” imo.

Of course I want success, and playoffs etc.

It would mean the world to me.

I have ambition. 

I just think in the current market THERE IS NOTHING WRONG with being a self sustaining competitive Championship side bringing through our own players with an honest setup. Perhaps the odd yo-yo might come into it in time... but I can’t justify the thought of being a manufactured ticking time bomb of an agent’s game like Wolves currently are.

It’s just not worth it.

Ultimately - the PL bubble will not last.

The TV money and the people/corporations behind it CANNOT sustain or outmanoeuvre the competition and innovation of new media/marketing. 

The PL revenue streams are on a fuckwards curve because they are too big and too much of a protectionist monopoly for the modern world. 

The turnover and billions will go down. Media wise - it is going down already.

The market and the financial standards required to be a competitive club in England will begin to balance.

We will be able to organically compete as a football club in this country again.

The PL is not the promised land in any way for me right now.

Of course I would love it at Wembley, or if we won the league.

I just think the Championship is a metric shit ton more exciting and “real” and the PL is not Shanghai-La.

I know this is unpopular, and that’s why it is in this thread, because I expect a little backlash.

But as a thought experiment for those that say the PL is the be all and end all of what we should be about...

Would you rather have ONE season in...

A ) League TWO with Tony Mowbray,

or 

B ) The Premier League with Steve Kean.

Bigger picture, long term - I just think some things are more important than gravy trains and playing at the Emirates.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 1

It is the scum that comes with Kean that I never ever want to see back anywhere near our club.

I think that if we put a bag over our head with regard to everything from 2010 to appointment of Mowbray and only look at the time since Mowbray arrived, Venky's are now much better than average owners and the only reason why we are beginning to think of a return to the Premier League (with a chance of staying up if we get there).

My other unpopular opinion- I would rather play the dingles in the Premier League than in any other division. 

6 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Premier league with Kean 

Oof, I can’t agree.

But maybe I was pushing my luck with League 2... my distaste for the bald cretin runs deep.

Lets try..

League One with Mowbray

or 

Premier League with Kean?