BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Unpopular Rovers Opinions

3 hours ago, JacknOry said:

One of the main reasons I want us to get back there - just so that our last memories of the PL do not contain that ugly mug.

Anybody that says differently hasn’t really thought this through obviously. If we hit league 2 we are at the bottom, there is no guarantee that we get back up, Venkys probably give up by then and we get taken over by some small fry investor with little money. Also mowbray ain’t that good a manager, he didn’t win league 1 with the biggest budget. I’m wholly unconvinced by him getting us to the prem let alone he would even stick around in lg 2, then who do we attract.

yes I hate Kean but it’s the prem league, there is money, good chance Kean will bomb and get the sack anyway, even if relegated we get parachute money, people forget we were expected to bounce back up and had we invested better with a better manager we would’ve. It also keeps our club relevant and in the spotlight in the prem. there is no coverage in lg 2. 

In summary the future is a lot rosier in the prem than lg 2 regardless of who is in charge. Managers will come and go, our club and fans won’t- well to an extent haha. 

Anybody saying different Is mad 

18 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Anybody that says differently hasn’t really thought this through obviously. If we hit league 2 we are at the bottom, there is no guarantee that we get back up, Venkys probably give up by then and we get taken over by some small fry investor with little money. Also mowbray ain’t that good a manager, he didn’t win league 1 with the biggest budget. I’m wholly unconvinced by him getting us to the prem let alone he would even stick around in lg 2, then who do we attract.

yes I hate Kean but it’s the prem league, there is money, good chance Kean will bomb and get the sack anyway, even if relegated we get parachute money, people forget we were expected to bounce back up and had we invested better with a better manager we would’ve. It also keeps our club relevant and in the spotlight in the prem. there is no coverage in lg 2. 

In summary the future is a lot rosier in the prem than lg 2 regardless of who is in charge. Managers will come and go, our club and fans won’t- well to an extent haha. 

Everyone who pays to watch League 2 football is mad?

34 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

It’s just a little fun. You’re making your own rules up about Kean getting sacked, Venkys leaving, not getting out of League 2.

It’s one season and we return to where we are now. 

I’d rather be in the National League than have Kean as our manager.

The Premier League can do one.

But then again, I am “mad” ?

Edited by S8 & Blue

2 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Oof, I can’t agree.

But maybe I was pushing my luck with League 2... my distaste for the bald cretin runs deep.

Lets try..

League One with Mowbray

or 

Premier League with Kean?

League one was the pits and I never want to return to that but I did start to enjoy my football and watching rovers again. 

In the premier league under kean I hated the man so much I never enjoyed wins and perversely felt happier with defeats because I believed (incorrectly) his tenure would end.

So clearly the prem is a better better place to be than league one but in this specific scenario for me it would be even north west counties division two under anyone than kean in the premier league. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

I agree with much of that, of course my initial statement is quite reductive.

I just absolutely fucking hate going into 1/3+ of games knowing that we are going to lose and that we are just someone else’s warm up for their Champions League qualifiers or for their bollocks “Super” Sundays.

Give me a 5-2 on Brentford’s terrace when we are in and chasing the game with 3 strikers on the pitch ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

I just think the PL is boring as shit for anyone but the tourists and I prefer to watch and have a stake in The Championship.

It’s the real “greatest league in the world” imo.

Of course I want success, and playoffs etc.

It would mean the world to me.

I have ambition. 

I just think in the current market THERE IS NOTHING WRONG with being a self sustaining competitive Championship side bringing through our own players with an honest setup. Perhaps the odd yo-yo might come into it in time... but I can’t justify the thought of being a manufactured ticking time bomb of an agent’s game like Wolves currently are.

It’s just not worth it.

Ultimately - the PL bubble will not last.

The TV money and the people/corporations behind it CANNOT sustain or outmanoeuvre the competition and innovation of new media/marketing. 

The PL revenue streams are on a fuckwards curve because they are too big and too much of a protectionist monopoly for the modern world. 

The turnover and billions will go down. Media wise - it is going down already.

The market and the financial standards required to be a competitive club in England will begin to balance.

We will be able to organically compete as a football club in this country again.

The PL is not the promised land in any way for me right now.

Of course I would love it at Wembley, or if we won the league.

I just think the Championship is a metric shit ton more exciting and “real” and the PL is not Shanghai-La.

I know this is unpopular, and that’s why it is in this thread, because I expect a little backlash.

But as a thought experiment for those that say the PL is the be all and end all of what we should be about...

Would you rather have ONE season in...

A ) League TWO with Tony Mowbray,

or 

B ) The Premier League with Steve Kean.

Bigger picture, long term - I just think some things are more important than gravy trains and playing at the Emirates.

A lot of the reservations seemed to be about what you consider to be the evils of the game, the foreign owners, the agents etc. Lets not pretend that they are exclusive to the Prem, indeed the Wolves example typifies that these sorts of things are also prevalent in the Championship.

We arent or will not be self sustainable ourselves either until potentially we get promoted.

I love to see Rovers play against the best. I loved when we got United in the cup, City in the cup, Liverpool in the cup, taking 2 to replays and the former right to the end. The pride of watching our team go toe to toe with some of the best players around, David Silva, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Raheem Sterling, Phillipe Coutinho, Anthony Martial, and holding our own. Might get a hiding or two but then again, we got battered by Preston, by Brentford, by Sheffield United, and being battered by them is far more depressing in my opinion.

It would also mean that we can sign better players. We wouldnt sign Peter Whittingham on a free transfer and jump for joy. You mention growing organically but theres no perfect time to be promoted, save for as soon as possible.

I would prefer to be in the Premier League any day. Partially for the quality increase, the Championship is incredibly entertaining but equally the quality in it is overhyped. There is so much crap in the league too. But mainly to see Rovers doing as well as possible, to be the best that it can be. Wanting them to continue in the Championship can simply not go hand in hand with that. 

A more minor thing but its far more difficult to keep our best players if we stay in the second tier, Dack a prime example.

• Like 5

People saying the Championship is better than the PL is sour grapes because we are not in Burnley's league (literally) at the moment - I'd love is to be up there again dining at the top table with the best best teams, giving them a the occasional tweak on the nose and with the whole world watching.  The Championship is for losers and also-rans. 

• Like 1

I had this argument once with Robbie Savage via Twitter. I get that for players and clubs playing at the highest level possible is the be all and end all, however for fans surely winning (and maybe even playing well) is just as, if not more, important. 

For example, I enjoyed our trips to Rochdale, Bury & Fleetwood last season far more than my last visit to Old Trafford under Big Sam when we got tonked 7-2. 

As another example, does anyone truly believe that Fulham fans are enjoying this season more than last season?

Edited by DaveyB
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

It’s just a little fun. You’re making your own rules up about Kean getting sacked, Venkys leaving, not getting out of League 2.

It’s one season and we return to where we are now. 

I’d rather be in the National League than have Kean as our manager.

The Premier League can do one.

But then again, I am “mad” ?

You need to look at the bigger picture , you can’t just have one season in a nothing league and magically go back to where you were. League 2 would mean we were at least 3 seasons before hitting the heights of the prem again. You also have to look at the money at the different scenarios, that’s football. Sorry if I’m looking at the bigger picture but I think you need to, we don’t play on a cloud 

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

You need to look at the bigger picture , you can’t just have one season in a nothing league and magically go back to where you were. League 2 would mean we were at least 3 seasons before hitting the heights of the prem again. You also have to look at the money at the different scenarios, that’s football. Sorry if I’m looking at the bigger picture but I think you need to, we don’t play on a cloud 

Just a hypothetical bit of fun.

But if you love Steve Kean so much why don’t you marry him? 

• Backroom

Whilst Sam is great at what he sets out to do a lot of the people I used to go with stopped going in that time and didn’t come back.

Of course the premier league is where any English club wants to be but it’s grim at times; games sacrificed and waiting for the games where you may nick a win against West Ham etc 

Then again I actually think the bottom half has got poorer overall with a lot of average teams in there 

• Like 1