BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

An Evening with Tony Mowbray

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Been interesting listening to Mowbray so far.

Acknowledged his loyalty to current players  may be a bit of a weakness.  Wanted to give the the promoted side a go but admitted they are starting to 'feel the quality' of this league.  Mentioned again, that players will be replaced and quality added.  

Talked about Brereton.  His signing.  On the back of him playing against his side a couple of years ago and having a stormer.  Also said he's not blind and acknowledged he's been poor, weak on the ball etc.  Asked to give him time as he genuinely believes he will come good ...

Talked about wanting to sign 3 or 4 players to go straight in to the first team.  Also interesting that he mentioned the lack of leaders on the pitch.  

Mentioned scouting Germany, and other European teams but kept coming back to Bundesliga...sounded like we were looking at the best players from Bundesliga 2.

Also said summer window and maybe, if needed, Jan window to make us top 6 competitive....but hopefully it would be done in summer.

Talked hypothetically about selling Dack and investing in 4 or 5 players as this is what they did at WBA.  Didn't say that would definitely happen and hoped the owners would support.

Mentioned nobody meeting their standards with budget available in Jan so didn't buy for sake of it.  Hopes that by not wasting money if he 'asks for £10mil for a player', owners will trust him and say yes.

Q&A after interval.

The grounds for scouting Brereton sound similar to players in the past, I think Dack and Gladwin were also mentioned as players signed on the back of a good performance against his team. A very dangerous policy.

Hopefully that Dack scenario doesnt happen. Dack will be almost impossible to replace and id much rather have Dack than 15m in Mowbrays hands.

• Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

Some interesting stuff there, anything said about our appalling defensive record? 

Guy asked why we play converted midfielders as CB.  When would we sign some proper centre halves.  TM basically said watch this space.  He talked about not having any big blood and thunder centre backs and they were looking at that.  He likes Lennihan, admits that Mulgrew and Rodwell aren't great backs to the wall defenders but bring other attributes.  Sounds like he will play Mulgrew against teams that sit back.  Another big lad for the more direct teams.  -ideally.  Also indicated he thinks we are a bit weak mentally.

Keeps saying that he will have to make some tough decisions about this core group.  Admits they won't get us up as it stands.   Better players will arrive in summer.  Targeting 25-28 year olds 'men' to go straight in.

Definitely looking at a forward.  Big, physical and fast (and they are all expensive)

As expected - very honest guy.

Also mentioned that Brereton will get some games with the 23s when the time is right.  Aware of lack of confidence.

• Like 6

Also talked a about Rothwell.  He was going to start against Boro before wife went in hospital.  Time will come soon.  TM felt that he was weak positionally at first. As he was one of the best players at Oxford he used to roam the pitch.  Came with that mentality so would get caught out of position when losing the ball.  Wants players to be responsible for their area of the pitch.  

Oh yeah.  He also waxed lyrical about Mrs Mowbray's lemon drizzle cake. 

So to sum up.  

Wanted to give last year's group this season.  Admits that teams have 'found us out a little' and some players are 'feeling the quality' of the league. - to be fair also mentioned  the quality of the  coaches as well.  The changes squad wise should come in summer.  Judge the team in another year.  Feels he can build a team to get us up. 

He said he can see where we are weak and is looking to improve all areas of  the pitch. 

*Interesting that he admitted scrapping his tactics after the Oldham game last year as it wasn't working  and moving to high intensity running game. 

• Like 3

Promising stuff. Brilliant updates mate. Lets hope it comes good as it seems he perhaps says things to protect his players in the media but does actually know about our glaring weaknesses, which you’d hope being a professional manager.

Good summary from Wing Wizard Windy Miller.

Would think a couple of hundred present. 

Came across well as the decent guy we know.

Think he wanted to try and head off the Brereton issue before the Q & A session (though a very friendly audience).  Mowbray thinks Brereton will be worth £10, £15, £20million in time (a bit optimistic  in my opinion but he's hardly likely to say he thinks he's dropped a clanger) and he will play him in the U23's at the right time.

Mentioned on a couple of occasions if he got £20million for Dack then reinvesting in 5 players who would get us up (similar to what he did at WBA).

Mentioned Venus frequently and clearly relies on Venus a lot - interestingly, don't recall one mention of Lowe!   

Enjoyable evening but, in my book, still not the man to get us back to the PL.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Good summary from Wing Wizard Windy Miller.

Would think a couple of hundred present. 

Came across well as the decent guy we know.

Think he wanted to try and head off the Brereton issue before the Q & A session (though a very friendly audience).  Mowbray thinks Brereton will be worth £10, £15, £20million in time (a bit optimistic  in my opinion but he's hardly likely to say he thinks he's dropped a clanger) and he will play him in the U23's at the right time.

Mentioned on a couple of occasions if he got £20million for Dack then reinvesting in 5 players who would get us up (similar to what he did at WBA).

Mentioned Venus frequently and clearly relies on Venus a lot - interestingly, don't recall one mention of Lowe!   

Enjoyable evening but, in my book, still not the man to get us back to the PL.

He will do or die by his summer recruitment.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Promising stuff. Brilliant updates mate. Lets hope it comes good as it seems he perhaps says things to protect his players in the media but does actually know about our glaring weaknesses, which you’d hope being a professional manager.

I must admit that has been a worry of  mine.  Some things are glaringly obvious, yet he never seems to address them publicly at least.  Tonight did indicate he is as aware as the rest of us of certain issues.

Did laugh when he talked about Mulgrew having to face statistically  the best header  in the league on Sat.  Said he'd told him he better put his helmet on and compete.

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

He will do or die by his summer recruitment.  

If allowed? Did he mention how his relationship is with the idiots? Will they splash the cash? Are they still keeping up Jack's legacy? No dig at you, I appreciate your reporting, but you said it was a friendly crowd, and very few real answers about those that bank roll us. I just think if we continue to lose, and struggle towards the end of the season whether they will back him.

1 minute ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

If allowed? Did he mention how his relationship is with the idiots? Will they splash the cash? Are they still keeping up Jack's legacy? No dig at you, I appreciate your reporting, but you said it was a friendly crowd, and very few real answers about those that bank roll us. I just think if we continue to lose, and struggle towards the end of the season whether they will back him.

Think he said he'd met them on three occasions and spoke nice words about them as you would expect.

No real feel as to whether they would 'splash the cash'.

If I recall correctly, got the impression summer signings would not necessarily be household names but the players of tomorrow unless there's a big sale eg Dack; those were my interpretations.

Just now, Mercer said:

Think he said he'd met them on three occasions and spoke nice words about them as you would expect.

No real feel as to whether they would 'splash the cash'.

If I recall correctly, got the impression summer signings would not necessarily be household names but the players of tomorrow unless there's a big sale eg Dack; those were my interpretations.

Thanks, M, then time will tell. I just hope he arrests the slide, keeps us up, and gets the opportunity to do what he says. I still have grave reservations as to his ability to carry this out, and whether they will give him the funds to do it.

• Like 1