BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

An Evening with Tony Mowbray

6 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Think he said he'd met them on three occasions and spoke nice words about them as you would expect.

No real feel as to whether they would 'splash the cash'.

If I recall correctly, got the impression summer signings would not necessarily be household names but the players of tomorrow unless there's a big sale eg Dack; those were my interpretations.

I took the last bit as being foreign so not necessarily players that are household names here but players who are better than we have now. 

He did keep mentioning Dack and £20mil though.

7 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I took the last bit as being foreign so not necessarily players that are household names here but players who are better than we have now. 

He did keep mentioning Dack and £20mil though.

He did mention looking at Championship equivalents in Germany, France, Belgium and Holland.  Thought he said Harvey and a couple of others were heading overseas at weekend.

Yep, thought the Dack scenario, mentioned at least a couple of times as you say, was a 'positioning' statement, perhaps sowing the seeds!  He'd have to go for me even at £15million.

Edited by Mercer

2 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Been interesting listening to Mowbray so far.

Acknowledged his loyalty to current players  may be a bit of a weakness.  Wanted to give the the promoted side a go but admitted they are starting to 'feel the quality' of this league.  Mentioned again, that players will be replaced and quality added.  

Talked about Brereton.  His signing.  On the back of him playing against his side a couple of years ago and having a stormer.  Also said he's not blind and acknowledged he's been poor, weak on the ball etc.  Asked to give him time as he genuinely believes he will come good ...

Talked about wanting to sign 3 or 4 players to go straight in to the first team.  Also interesting that he mentioned the lack of leaders on the pitch.  

Mentioned scouting Germany, and other European teams but kept coming back to Bundesliga...sounded like we were looking at the best players from Bundesliga 2.

Also said summer window and maybe, if needed, Jan window to make us top 6 competitive....but hopefully it would be done in summer.

Talked hypothetically about selling Dack and investing in 4 or 5 players as this is what they did at WBA.  Didn't say that would definitely happen and hoped the owners would support.

Mentioned nobody meeting their standards with budget available in Jan so didn't buy for sake of it.  Hopes that by not wasting money if he 'asks for £10mil for a player', owners will trust him and say yes.

Q&A after interval.

If tony posed as a fan and came on here posting that he'd get jumped on by a few ?

He has exactly the same concerns and wants the same things as the average fan it seems, somebody put him in charge quick !

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 6

Tbf to Tony he has addressed pretty much all of our concerns. The biggest worry for me was that he couldn't see what we all could see but clearly he is well aware of the problems we have highlighted on numerous occasions. The soundbites in the LT and so on are what have created the doubt in me personally and to hear that fills me with confidence. 

If he can pull it off is another question but I feel like at least we're on the same page and for me , that's all I needed to give him my full backing.

This summer is massive and he needs to get it right because it's one thing seeing the problems ( which up until tonight I honestly doubted) and another fixing them.

Let's get to the end of the season. Get Chapman and Davenport fit, give rothwell and travis a run of games, get Ben doing something whether it's u23s, first team, weights or selling programmes. Just not wasted out wide for the odd cameo because that isn't helping him and re asses after the summer.

Im relieved to that tonight. He said a few transfer windows and up to now he has delivered, highlighted what needs fixing and has set about doing it (off the pitch anyway) . It's the hope that kills you.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

If allowed? Did he mention how his relationship is with the idiots? Will they splash the cash? Are they still keeping up Jack's legacy? No dig at you, I appreciate your reporting, but you said it was a friendly crowd, and very few real answers about those that bank roll us. I just think if we continue to lose, and struggle towards the end of the season whether they will back him.

No there wasn't much about the owners, said he had met them 3 times.  just that he feels they trust him.  They have given him backing for every thing he's asked for to date and he hopes they will back him in summer.

I've very little faith that 15 million would get reinvested in four or five good players if anything he'd get a couple of million to spread around the squad. It's great to hear what he says - which is basically a repeat of most of the stuff said on here - but once money starts coming in we know what happens, the Blackburn black hole swallows it up and his tune will likely change as the next window gets halfway through.

• Like 1

Great updates, thanks lads.

I’ve always thought there’s been far to much getting knickers in a twist over what he says immediately post-game - the poor guy’s blood pressure is still probably 200/120 and someone shoves a mic under his nose. 

I suppose we could grouse about giving last year’s team a go, but that’s pretty much over now and it’s not like it’ll have got us relegated.

Roll on this summer, could be transformative.

• Like 1

Have had most of the above confirmed by a friend's son who went.

So the manager, who's been in football all his life and who is paid thousands of pounds a week is only just coming round to realising what was obvious to most fans in the summer and  who could all have told  the owners this six or seven months earlier for nothing.

Marvellous. It's only 3 weeks or so ago he said he wasn't bothered we hadn't added in January because he was happy with the squad. Maybe he can an will revamp the squad in the summer, but at best it's been a wasted season. At worst it will be too difficult to rebuild in one window and next season will be a desperate struggle.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Tbf to Tony he has addressed pretty much all of our concerns. The biggest worry for me was that he couldn't see what we all could see but clearly he is well aware of the problems we have highlighted on numerous occasions. The soundbites in the LT and so on are what have created the doubt in me personally and to hear that fills me with confidence. 

If he can pull it off is another question but I feel like at least we're on the same page and for me , that's all I needed to give him my full backing.

This summer is massive and he needs to get it right because it's one thing seeing the problems ( which up until tonight I honestly doubted) and another fixing them.

Let's get to the end of the season. Get Chapman and Davenport fit, give rothwell and travis a run of games, get Ben doing something whether it's u23s, first team, weights or selling programmes. Just not wasted out wide for the odd cameo because that isn't helping him and re asses after the summer.

Im relieved to that tonight. He said a few transfer windows and up to now he has delivered, highlighted what needs fixing and has set about doing it (off the pitch anyway) . It's the hope that kills you.

I think you and I are on the same page.  Those were my thoughts exactly.  Tonight clarified that he sees what we see on the pitch (certainly the weaknesses).  Team selection is a whole other argument but he did get a laugh when he said that we (the audience), would all have picked a different side and got a win against Boro.  

Like you, I'm not convinced that he can pull off the transfers we need.  If we can't compete financially with the big boys in the division, I'm not sure we will out smart them recruitment wise.  

Still, It's clear he has a plan.  It will be clear to all in 18 months wether it has worked or not.   I really hope it does - good luck Tony - you've won me round till then (obviously he will sleep loads better for knowing that ?).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Deep down we all new keeping hold of dack this summer would be a hard task. I do worry about losing him. Another who we won't know what we have until it's gone. Quality like dacks is rare and not easily replaced even with the fee we will receive. 

I don't think he has hit the heights of last season in terms of all round play.  Possibly better opposition but his goals /assists are still impressive.  Hand on heart though, I'm not convinced he's Prem quality - certainly not a top half side.  £20 mil would be a no-brainer.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I've very little faith that 15 million would get reinvested in four or five good players if anything he'd get a couple of million to spread around the squad. It's great to hear what he says - which is basically a repeat of most of the stuff said on here - but once money starts coming in we know what happens, the Blackburn black hole swallows it up and his tune will likely change as the next window gets halfway through.

Oh aye, the cynic in me fully expects that.  Past history and all that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Have had most of the above confirmed by a friend's son who went.

So the manager, who's been in football all his life and who is paid thousands of pounds a week is only just coming round to realising what was obvious to most fans in the summer and  who could all have told  the owners this six or seven months earlier for nothing.

Marvellous. It's only 3 weeks or so ago he said he wasn't bothered we hadn't added in January because he was happy with the squad. Maybe he can an will revamp the squad in the summer, but at best it's been a wasted season. At worst it will be too difficult to rebuild in one window and next season will be a desperate struggle.

Glad to know I"m not making it up ?.

I agree Rev, on paper it's been a wasted season.   He even talked about losing a good  signing in summer through his honesty.  TM said the player would have to dislodge the current team member.  He signed for a team where he was told he'd be straight in.  Apparently said player is having a very good season.  Thinking it may be the lad from Hibs who went to Villa. 

That aside, the only logical reason I can see for wasting this season with the same side, is to develop the scouting/player recruitment options.  Gambling  on the current lot not to get us relegated. 

28 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Deep down we all new keeping hold of dack this summer would be a hard task. I do worry about losing him. Another who we won't know what we have until it's gone. Quality like dacks is rare and not easily replaced even with the fee we will receive. 

Yep, Tony also needs to be dissuaded from the notion that we could sell Dack, bring 3/4 players in and the side would be better as a whole. Never works, managers always think they are a genius in the transfer market and can offload the best player, get jiggy in the transfer market and pull a few rabbits out of hats but it rarely works and usually ends in disaster. EIT may quote Gordon Lee selling Tony Field at me at this point but its the exception that proves the rule.

The way to be successful is to get Dack back to his best and add more good players round him.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Been interesting listening to Mowbray so far.

Acknowledged his loyalty to current players  may be a bit of a weakness.  Wanted to give the the promoted side a go but admitted they are starting to 'feel the quality' of this league.  Mentioned again, that players will be replaced and quality added.  

Talked about Brereton.  His signing.  On the back of him playing against his side a couple of years ago and having a stormer.  Also said he's not blind and acknowledged he's been poor, weak on the ball etc.  Asked to give him time as he genuinely believes he will come good ...

Talked about wanting to sign 3 or 4 players to go straight in to the first team.  Also interesting that he mentioned the lack of leaders on the pitch.  

Mentioned scouting Germany, and other European teams but kept coming back to Bundesliga...sounded like we were looking at the best players from Bundesliga 2.

Also said summer window and maybe, if needed, Jan window to make us top 6 competitive....but hopefully it would be done in summer.

Talked hypothetically about selling Dack and investing in 4 or 5 players as this is what they did at WBA.  Didn't say that would definitely happen and hoped the owners would support.

Mentioned nobody meeting their standards with budget available in Jan so didn't buy for sake of it.  Hopes that by not wasting money if he 'asks for £10mil for a player', owners will trust him and say yes.

Q&A after interval.

Good that he has recongised that the current squad needs improving and willing to be ruthless to make the changes needed. 

did he say how many signings he wanted in the summer overall? 

Good that he talked about Brereton and it was his signing and not from someone else as been mention on here. 

2 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Guy asked why we play converted midfielders as CB.  When would we sign some proper centre halves.  TM basically said watch this space.  He talked about not having any big blood and thunder centre backs and they were looking at that.  He likes Lennihan, admits that Mulgrew and Rodwell aren't great backs to the wall defenders but bring other attributes.  Sounds like he will play Mulgrew against teams that sit back.  Another big lad for the more direct teams.  -ideally.  Also indicated he thinks we are a bit weak mentally.

Keeps saying that he will have to make some tough decisions about this core group.  Admits they won't get us up as it stands.   Better players will arrive in summer.  Targeting 25-28 year olds 'men' to go straight in.

Definitely looking at a forward.  Big, physical and fast (and they are all expensive)

As expected - very honest guy.

Also mentioned that Brereton will get some games with the 23s when the time is right.  Aware of lack of confidence.

Didn't Mowbray signed Jonas Olsson for WBA when he was there? 

Good that he talked about the type of players he wants and the age he looking at. 

Can you say more about the forward? is this to replace Graham long term?

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Oh yeah.  He also waxed lyrical about Mrs Mowbray's lemon drizzle cake. 

So to sum up.  

Wanted to give last year's group this season.  Admits that teams have 'found us out a little' and some players are 'feeling the quality' of the league. - to be fair also mentioned  the quality of the  coaches as well.  The changes squad wise should come in summer.  Judge the team in another year.  Feels he can build a team to get us up. 

He said he can see where we are weak and is looking to improve all areas of  the pitch. 

*Interesting that he admitted scrapping his tactics after the Oldham game last year as it wasn't working  and moving to high intensity running game. 

do you think Mowbray will change his coaching staff? cant see Venus going anywhere and I think that right. 

was the Oldham away game when we lost 4 games in the 1st 11 games of the season? 

52 minutes ago, Mercer said:

He did mention looking at Championship equivalents in Germany, France, Belgium and Holland.  Thought he said Harvey and a couple of others were heading overseas at weekend.

Yep, thought the Dack scenario, mentioned at least a couple of times as you say, was a 'positioning' statement, perhaps sowing the seeds!  He'd have to go for me even at £15million.

surely we would be looking at top tier in Belgium and Holland? 

did anyone ask about how many scouts we have and possible adding scouts with Europe experience or from Europe? 

on Dack, I don't see teams paying 15 to 20 millions for him myself. 

can you explain your view on why Dack would have to go for 15 mil? 

16 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Glad to know I"m not making it up ?.

I agree Rev, on paper it's been a wasted season.   He even talked about losing a good  signing in summer through his honesty.  TM said the player would have to dislodge the current team member.  He signed for a team where he was told he'd be straight in.  Apparently said player is having a very good season.  Thinking it may be the lad from Hibs who went to Villa. 

could that not be Celina at Swansea? 

30 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I don't think he has hit the heights of last season in terms of all round play.  Possibly better opposition but his goals /assists are still impressive.  Hand on heart though, I'm not convinced he's Prem quality - certainly not a top half side.  £20 mil would be a no-brainer.  

It's not a case of what level can dack reach (although I definitely agree regards top half) it's more what we will lose when he's gone.

It's possible something is already lined up. Either way your only as good as the team around you. You improve the team and dack will shine. He is real quality at our level and very hard to replace

• Like 4

Just when you get a bit mad with the guy he comes out and shuts us all up by saying all the right things! ?... Too be fair, we were never going to go up this year so giving lads a chance from last season I can understand, for a team full of players playing league one football last season, bar this recent run we haven’t done too bad. If he’s true to his word and gets ruthless in the summer with the lads not good enough to be here, and then replaces them, Then I’ll be expecting a good season next year.. Can we not just end this season now?! ? This summer is going too be massive for us it really is, I’m nervous already.

• Like 6

So Mowbray knew the players weren't going to be quite up to it but wanted to give them a go. Sorry, but in the hard world of football that doesn't work. Would he get away with that at any other Championship club ? It's been a wasted season for me 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

So Mowbray knew the players weren't going to be quite up to it but wanted to give them a go. Sorry, but in the hard world of football that doesn't work. Would he get away with that at any other Championship club ? It's been a wasted season for me 

I hope I’m not as miserable and negative as you when I’m your age pal. 

• Like 1

Has earned a few points from me reading all this. Seemed to say all the right things and that there is at least some kind of plan. Lets see if these players that will be bought to go straight into the team will be coming. 

Still bewildered that he signed BB off the back of one good game against one of his teams - probably Coventry in a friendly or something?  He is talking a lot about recruitment but it will have to be a LOT better than that. 

Wondering who the player was that was told he would have to dislodge someone from the team to be able to get game time. McGinn is a good shout and he has had an excellent season so far. Still, he would have had to dislodge one of the dynamic duo of Smallwood or Evans so I dont blame him from going to small club like Villa where he was promised a start from the off. 

6 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

This. Cash in on Dack and rebuild for a push at the top 6. I said he hadn't hit the form of last season and was shot down. Not Premier League quality imo but could be a very good championship player in the right team. 

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

Has earned a few points from me reading all this. Seemed to say all the right things and that there is at least some kind of plan. Lets see if these players that will be bought to go straight into the team will be coming. 

Still bewildered that he signed BB off the back of one good game against one of his teams - probably Coventry in a friendly or something?  He is talking a lot about recruitment but it will have to be a LOT better than that. 

Wondering who the player was that was told he would have to dislodge someone from the team to be able to get game time. McGinn is a good shout and he has had an excellent season so far. Still, he would have had to dislodge one of the dynamic duo of Smallwood or Evans so I dont blame him from going to small club like Villa where he was promised a start from the off. 

My money would be on Celina from swansea