BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tommie Hoban

1 hour ago, OnePhilT said:

What level of football did you make it to, if you don't mind me asking?

Manchester Industrial League Div 1 at 17. It was a tough league, lot's of guys playing that had been pros at various levels. The standards you had to be at regarding facilities were pretty high. You had to have a fully enclosed ground for instance. Some grounds had stands. One of the grounds in the league ( Manchester Ship Canal I think ) was used by Brazil as a training ground in the 1966 World Cup. Most of our opponents were large manufacturing companies that no longer exist. I think the league no longer exists either.

The centre halves in that league were pretty hard lads. You didn't antagonise them unless you wanted a battle. I was just looking at going to Bacup Borough were a couple of my pals were already playing and had got Borough interested in me when one of the big clumsy centre halves broke my leg. I played again after that but when I broke it for the second time I called it a day with serious football. I played in " fun " matches after that but the spark had gone.

A case of what might have been really, but plenty of players can say that.