BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers V Bristol City

4 hours ago, USABlue said:

Looks like a stupid move now.

Looked a stupid move then, to me.

That said, Mowbray watches every single u-23 game. He knows these players. If it comes to us using youth team defenders, that will be on him for better or worse. If they prove they can slot right in or even excel, it was a genius decision. If they cost us points it was stupid.

There's no luck involved either way, and if it comes to it then I hope nobody on either side of the debate tries to pretend there is.

• Like 1

On 06/02/2019 at 15:09, JeffRover said:

As I said in an earlier thread, Palmer will probably bag an injury time goal. The one thing I don’t want is that arrogant tw@t Lee Johnson celebrating on that touchline. Hate his guts, always blaming the refs instead of his own shortcomings. In our own camp, looks like we are ravaged by injuries with Mulgrew, Lenihan, Evans, Dack and Graham which is a massive blow. Very reminiscent of the Brentford home game back in August when we managed to nick a narrow 1 - 0 win. I’d try to replicate something similar to what we did that day and try Bennett in the number 10 role and shift Nyambe to right back. I’d go with the following:

Raya

Nyambe     Rodwell       Mulgrew (if fit)    Bell

Reed          Travis (if fit)

Armstrong       Bennett            Rothwell

Brereton 

Subs: Leutwiler, Williams, Magloire, Smallwood, Conway, Nuttall, Butterworth 

That makes us look really thin on the ground. Typical as it’s just after January.....

Let’s hope for a gritty performance and get back to the more stable January performances. Won’t be easy but we’re a decent home side. I’ll go for a 1 - 1 draw. COYB!

p.s   I think I might bring my boots down to Ewood, just in case they don’t have enough subs.

The thought of Benno in our most key creative spot scares me.

14 hours ago, JHRover said:

Yeah I find Johnson to be very cocky and he's another one like Dyche who spends more time moaning at the officials than anything else.

Bristol City have a knack of scoring late goals so we need to watch out for that. They're very good at recovering late on from losing positions or nicking wins by the odd goal.

And we are great at conceding late goals...plus the curse of the ex...I can see why people are predicting Palmer to spoil the party in injury time.

3 hours ago, bluebruce said:

The thought of Benno in our most key creative spot scares me.

I thought Bennett had some of his best games when he played there a few times in 2017, it might even be his best position.  For sure he’s very different to Dack and wouldn’t provide the same kind of creativity but his energy and pressing also can create opportunities for others.  If Nyambe has been in the bench I’d have put him on for Dack last Saturday.

• Like 1

• Backroom
8 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Do we? In that position? Who the fook are they?

Gladwin, obviously. He'll come into the side with the swagger of a superstar and show us all what we've been missing out on. Dack won't be able to get his place back, he'll fall down the pecking order and end up sold to Charlton for £200,000 in the 19/20 summer window. Or Gladwin would get injured after five minutes and we'd never see him again. Risk/reward. Could put Rothwell in there instead I suppose.

16 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Who was it saying we didn't need Downing ?

Is this a quiz or a rhetorical question? 

If it's rhetorical and you are referring to me, you are well off, I actually said we shouldn't let him go without at least getting someone in as a replacement on loan. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Sounds like we'll only be missing Lenihan of those that picked up knocks against Brentford.

I'd go:                                    Raya

Nyambe           Rodwell         Mulgrew           Bell

Bennett           Reed               Travis            Armstrong

Dack

Graham

Subs: Leutwiler, Magloire, Smallwood, Evans, Rothwell, Brereton, Nuttall

Would've been a straight swap with Nyambe for Bennett but Evans took a few knocks last week at Brentford so Bennett would have give us some fresher legs in midfield and allow Reed to play in his natural position. If Mulgrew isn;t deemed fit enough and with Lenihan out I would give Magloire a go rather than easy option of playing Williams,

4 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Sounds like we'll only be missing Lenihan of those that picked up knocks against Brentford.

I'd go:                                    Raya

Nyambe           Rodwell         Mulgrew           Bell

Bennett           Reed               Travis            Armstrong

Dack

Graham

Subs: Leutwiler, Magloire, Smallwood, Evans, Rothwell, Brereton, Nuttall

Would've been a straight swap with Nyambe for Bennett but Evans took a few knocks last week at Brentford so Bennett would have give us some fresher legs in midfield and allow Reed to play in his natural position. If Mulgrew isn;t deemed fit enough and with Lenihan out I would give Magloire a go rather than easy option of playing Williams,

Easy for Bristol? I would prefer to see him centre than left, but neither ideal. He was never the best, but it seems like he is now lacking in confidence too. A dangerous combo. The thing is under no circumstances could I see Magloire starting. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Easy for Bristol? I would prefer to see him centre than left, but neither ideal. He was never the best, but it seems like he is now lacking in confidence too. A dangerous combo. The thing is under no circumstances could I see Magloire starting. 

Neither can I but one can dream. I've got a funny feeling that Smallwood might start though. He's reverted to the old guard before after a bad result could happen again.

10 hours ago, Blueandwhitemike said:

I thought Bennett had some of his best games when he played there a few times in 2017, it might even be his best position.  For sure he’s very different to Dack and wouldn’t provide the same kind of creativity but his energy and pressing also can create opportunities for others.  If Nyambe has been in the bench I’d have put him on for Dack last Saturday.

He did have some of his best games there to be fair. But that's a long time ago now and he happened to be in an excellent vein of form. The odd spark aside, he hasn't been very good at the creative stuff this season. To go from Dack to Bennett would really reduce our goal threat.

• Like 3

Very concerned by Lenihan being out. I’ve posted it before but I don’t like two cultured centre halves playing together - I just can’t see Mulgrew/Rodwell working. Lenihan may not be Andy Todd but he’s still a bit of a bruiser who will kick people and make life uncomfortable for strikers. Even more worrying will be if Mulgrew’s out and it’s Del Boy & Rodders at the back!

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

8 hours ago, had.e.nuff said:

no matty platt in u23 so might be cover for cb

Would be delighted to see Platt on the bench tomorrow.

If we are not targeting the playoffs(See January transfer Window), then I am looking forward to seeing 3-5 new young guys featuring before the end of the season. Young guys are on form against premier league youth teams.

As for Tomorrow, I think I want to see Brereton start, if Graham has a knock it’s possible.

Draw at best - we simply cannot hold on to leads and teams know it. We collapse whether we're playing our first eleven or our fringe players. 

Been a good season in terms of expectations but our season is pretty much over now - cannot see us reaching the playoffs having not strengthened during the window.

It's mad the different vibes last weeks game has created on here, although understandable given the collapse. 

Let's not forget we've lost 2 all season at home though, 1-0 against my pick for the champions and the other against a strong promotion candidate.  City have lost 4 away.....

Yes they're a form team, but so were Hull and look what happened that day.

I think we'll do them 2-1. This weather is going to make the conditions very tough unless it dies down, certainly not a day for hoof ball!

• Like 1

Just now, Ossydave said:

It's mad the different vibes last weeks game has created on here, although understandable given the collapse. 

Let's not forget we've lost 2 all season at home though, 1-0 against my pick for the champions and the other against a strong promotion candidate.  City have lost 4 away.....

Yes they're a form team, but so were Hull and look what happened that day.

I think we'll do them 2-1. This weather is going to make the conditions very tough unless it dies down, certainly not a day for hoof ball!

Just not going to get my hopes up anymore - had that depressive feeling of losing despite being, 1-2-3 up one too many times this season. 

6 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Just not going to get my hopes up anymore - had that depressive feeling of losing despite being, 1-2-3 up one too many times this season. 

In fairness, as frustrating as it is, it does happen a lot in this league.  Look no further than the blades throwing a 3-0 lead away last night with 10 mins remaining.  The quality of attackers in the top half of the league especially is far better than the quality of defenders. End result usually being entertainment and battered fingernails!

• Like 1

Just now, Ossydave said:

In fairness, as frustrating as it is, it does happen a lot in this league.  Look no further than the blades throwing a 3-0 lead away last night with 10 mins remaining.  The quality of attackers in the top half of the league especially is far better than the quality of defenders. End result usually being entertainment and battered fingernails!

It happens, sure...just not as consistently as it seems to to us. 

On 08/02/2019 at 00:40, bluebruce said:

Looked a stupid move then, to me.

That said, Mowbray watches every single u-23 game. He knows these players. If it comes to us using youth team defenders, that will be on him for better or worse. If they prove they can slot right in or even excel, it was a genius decision. If they cost us points it was stupid.

There's no luck involved either way, and if it comes to it then I hope nobody on either side of the debate tries to pretend there is.

Agreed. When you have money - which we supposedly do - then you can by a quality, experienced centre back. These guys have had most of their mistakes ironed out and learned from them. When you grow your own you are baking in these mistakes into your first team plans.

When Ferguson brought though his ‘kids’ he didn’t mess about at cb, he had Bruce and Pallister there. Both had lots of experience with other clubs. Lenihan is a case in point. He will get all of his learning under his belt with us and move to another club as the finished article. This may be fine for other clubs as a business approach because of the fees that can bring in. But we are a club that in which ever era you choose has a pedigree in the top flight. This needs to be short term thinking.

Especially with owners allegedly wanting to put money in.