BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

7 players inducted into inaugural hall of fame

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17408147.rovers-to-induct-seven-players-in-to-inaugural-hall-of-fame/

Record goalscorer Simon Garner, appearance holder Derek Fazackerley, and club legends Bryan Douglas, Ronnie Clayton, Brad Friedel, Alan Shearer and Bob Crompton, who led his hometown club to glory as a player and as a manager, are the first seven to be inducted.

Friedel ahead of Tugay though? Tough call 

17 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17408147.rovers-to-induct-seven-players-in-to-inaugural-hall-of-fame/

Record goalscorer Simon Garner, appearance holder Derek Fazackerley, and club legends Bryan Douglas, Ronnie Clayton, Brad Friedel, Alan Shearer and Bob Crompton, who led his hometown club to glory as a player and as a manager, are the first seven to be inducted.

Friedel ahead of Tugay though? Tough call 

That is a tough one. Might as well make it 8 than try and dissect it

• Like 3

It’s always a tough one.

When does a legend merge into a cult hero?

As an example. David Speedie - only 1 season, but fired us to promotion in ‘92 with hat trick after hat trick and the fans adored him and his attitude.

The journey to the title started that season.

• Like 5

Only a bit of fun as they were all fantastic players but I'd have put Parkes and Duff in before Friedel. Obviously them Hendry and Tugay should be amongst the next ones in along with Sir Roger Jones and Noel Brotherston. Cole for scoring the winner in a League Cup final? Howard Kendall?

Plenty of players from the sixties worthy of inclusion as well. Nice idea.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Only a bit of fun as they were all fantastic players but I'd have put Parkes and Duff in before Friedel. Obviously them Hendry and Tugay should be amongst the next ones in along with Sir Roger Jones and Noel Brotherston. Cole for scoring the winner in a League Cup final? Howard Kendall?

Plenty of players from the sixties worthy of inclusion as well. Nice idea.

Definitely these two. Sir Roger was Knighted and Noel crowned King both at Ewood. What more do you need?  

• Like 2

• Backroom

I think it’s this:

Dougie, Clayton, Crompton are the 3 most well-known legends for the majority of fans imo.

Shearer - The figurehead of our PL win.

Garner - Record goalscorer.

Fazackerly - Record apps.

Freidel - Record consecutive apps.

• Like 3

If you are going to suggest Eckersley and Langton, two players who most on this board have never seen, then let me add Harry Healless, Ted Harper, Eddie Latheron, Danny Shea and Jack Southworth.

Oh, and what about Tony Field and Dave Wagstaff?

Just now, Mike E said:

I think it’s this:

Dougie, Clayton, Crompton are the 3 most well-known legends for the majority of fans imo.

Shearer - The figurehead of our PL win.

Garner - Record goalscorer.

Fazackerly - Record apps.

Freidel - Record consecutive apps.

They had to start somewhere, and plenty more to come.

John Lewis and Arthur Constantine

Lawrence Cotton

Sir Jack

Not players, but great pillars of our great club.

Atkins, Barker, John Bell (333 appearances), Berg, Billy Bradshaw (426), Branagan, Briggs, Noel, Aussie Campbell, Cole, Connelly.....Duff, Dunn, Eckersley, Else, Ferguson,, Field, Flowers, Gally, Gennoe, Healless (397), Colin, Matty, Jones, Glenn, Langton, Le Saux, McGrath, MacLeod, McNamee, Metcalf, Millar, Newell, Newton, Parkes, Pickering, Quigley, Rathbone, Ripley, Rogers, Sellars, Sherwood, Short, Speedie, Sutton, Tugay, Vernon, Wilcox, Woods. To name but a few......okay, I got my big book of Rovers facts out!

• Like 4

Personally I think it should be restricted to club record holders rather than players we liked a lot. So things like Most England/Scotland/Wales/NI/Ireland caps awarded while a Rover. Would England be Crompton?? Duggie must be most World Cup caps, Ronnie most England captain caps?? Maybe top scorer in each division - Shearer Div I, Garner Div 2, Field Div 3??

• Like 1

For his long-serving record as a player, manager and many other duties, Tony Parkes should be in there from the start instead of Friedel.

And perhaps the last Blackburn born player to serve the club with distinction - Stuart Metcalfe ?

Personal favourites to be included soon for me would be Keith Newton and Mike England

And for the fans favourite of the 1960s would be Fergie - Mike Ferguson

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Personally I think it should be restricted to club record holders rather than players we liked a lot. So things like Most England/Scotland/Wales/NI/Ireland caps awarded while a Rover. Would England be Crompton?? Duggie must be most World Cup caps, Ronnie most England captain caps?? Maybe top scorer in each division - Shearer Div I, Garner Div 2, Field Div 3??

Highest wages?