BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Second Class - Rovers Hall of Fame 2020

The Second Class - Rovers Hall of Fame Inductees - Year 2 - 2020  

82 members have voted

1. 1. After the success at last night's Rovers Hall of Fame Evening.....Who is next for enshrinement in the Hall?

• James 'Jimmy' Brown (1881-1889) 3 x FA Cup winner, twice as captain
    • David Dunn (1997-2003) (2007-2015) League Cup winner, Over 330 appearances
    • Bill Eckersley (1947-1961) Over 400 appearances
    • Jimmy Forrest (1883-1895) 5 x FA Cup winner
    • Colin Hendry (1987-1989) (1991-1999) Over 350 appearances, Full Members Cup winner, Premier League winner
    • Other Name - Please Specify
    • Morten Gamst Pedersen (2004-2013) Over 340 appearances
    • Tugay (2001-2009) League Cup winner, just shy of 300 appearances

After the success of last nights event, it got me thinking who deserves to go into the Hall of Fame next?

I know that it is run by the former players association BRFPA, and no ''non football related'' (e.g. Player or Manager) were enshrined in the Hall last night, so I've purposely limited it to PLAYERS ONLY.

John Lewis and Arthur Constantine and of course Jack Walker all deserve to be in a Rovers Hall of Fame, but for the purposes of this discussion I've left them out.

I've chosen 8 to get us started, I feel these are the next obvious names.....

But please feel free to add names and vote Other.

You can vote for multiple players

Edited by rog of the rovers

Of the choices, I went for Jimmy Brown and Jimmy Forrest for the sheer number of times they won the FA Cup; Tugay because he was a magnificent player, and Colin Hendry who - despite his brief sojourn to City - spanned the Full Members Cup and Premier League title teams. Personally I would add Henning Berg onto the list - Premier League and League Cup winner (the only one to feature in both). 

• Like 2

I think from my lifetime the list should probably read in order:

Tugay

Colin Hendry

Henning Berg

Tim Sherwood

David Dunn

Then your getting into any of the Premier League winners (Ripley, Wilcox, Sutton, Flowers, Le Saux), Then maybe people like Duff or Jansen. Maybe even further beyond that Ryan Nelson, MGP.

If they are doing it yearly it maybe needs one name from the glorious past and one more recent at a time as a bit like boxing you can't chuck all your favs in from the modern era all at once. A lot of huge name fighters are long retired before they get inducted, keep the interest going.

Tugay may well be picked because he is a hugely likeable fan-favourite who interacted with supporters in the terraces but the more deserving Colin Hendry has a smudge next to his name.

His swashbuckling, no fear style was partly responsible both for our resurgence to the top flight but also winning the title. It’s a great shame what happened in his personal life has possibly clouded what should have been a nailed on inductee.

Also the scope needs to be widened to include King Kenny. He absolutely has to go in there. Bob Crompton was player, manager and chairman so there’s a case for it.

Jack Walker surely has to be included as well but I’m not sure who would represent him at such an event.

Lovely, and bittersweet, moment from last night was to learn from Val Clayton that Ronnie’s ashes are buried under the centre circle at Ewood Park.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, windymiller7 said:

Tony Parkes for me - qualifies on all fronts. Player, Coach, assistant manager & manager (albeit caretaker).

Over 30 years service to the club. If that doesn't justify a spot then I don't know what does.

Absolutely - second to none in terms of service to the club since it began.

Tugay & Hendry would also be at the very top of my list, closely followed by Dunny.

Trying to think of somebody a little less obvious. We haven't won a major trophy without Henning Berg since 1928. Though along those lines of logic Souness would be knocking on the door. Jansen might be more in the mould of a cult hero but his story, personality and goal at Preston are etched in to Rovers folklore.

Think if Daglish is on the cards for inclusion should come as a package with Ray Harford. Granted his time as manager was not ideal but think it is often understated his role in the promotion and PL winning team.

Of course the standout as mentioned a few times in above posts is Tony Parkes, who ticks the boxes for player , coach and association with the club.

• Like 1

A couple of older ones, William Townley scored in back to back FA Cup final wins which included him scoring the first ever hattrick in an FA Cup final. Jack Southworth also scored in back to back FA Cup final wins, 119 goals in 129 league and cup games and still holds the record of most hattricks for Rovers.

• Like 1

My ‘other’ is Tony Parkes. I don’t think there’s any need to explain the rationale for him.

As the HOF has been created by the former players association they can write their own rules.

If they choose to limit to former players only then so be it.

As for future inductees - showing my age here - I’d like to put forward Glenn Keeley, Terry Gennoe, Howard Gayle, Noel Brotherston or Howard Kendal.

• Like 3

Surprised the only comment on MGP has been a negative one. Maybe not a first rank inductee but certainly a valiant gifted servant of our club who gave us his best years. Produced some marvellous moments and great goals  and endured some of the worst times. Would certainly want him in the hall of fame at some point. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Lovely to know that.

I believe Bill Eckersley had his ashes scattered on the Ewood turf too.

:brfc:

Actually vaguely remember that from childhood I think it was before a game v Carlise Utd though no idea if we won it or not, crowd was probably only about 5k sadly.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, windymiller7 said:

Tony Parkes for me - qualifies on all fronts. Player, Coach, assistant manager & manager (albeit caretaker).

Over 30 years service to the club. If that doesn't justify a spot then I don't know what does.

I thought I’d put him on the list!

A shoe in if ever there was one.

Edited by rog of the rovers

I think it’s important to get a good mix every year. Wouldn’t have defined categories as such, but I’d try and make it look something like this...

No more than one from each of the following:

Pre-War years

50’s/60’s

70’s/80’s

Jack Walker era

This millennium 

Non-player

And maybe as a bit of a wildcard someone who made a big impact in a short period.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, steelcityblue said:

Surprised the only comment on MGP has been a negative one. Maybe not a first rank inductee but certainly a valiant gifted servant of our club who gave us his best years. Produced some marvellous moments and great goals  and endured some of the worst times. Would certainly want him in the hall of fame at some point. 

As the poster who made what you perceive to be a ‘negative comment’ about MGP, let me elaborate. He was a very decent player for us but wouldn’t even be in my top 200 in terms of a hall of fame, so I was surprised to see him on the list above.

I probably wouldn’t use the term ‘valiant’ to describe him either - I would save that one for the Keeleys, Hendrys, Gayles and Morans of the club.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 3