BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Second Class - Rovers Hall of Fame 2020

The Second Class - Rovers Hall of Fame Inductees - Year 2 - 2020  

82 members have voted

1. 1. After the success at last night's Rovers Hall of Fame Evening.....Who is next for enshrinement in the Hall?

• James 'Jimmy' Brown (1881-1889) 3 x FA Cup winner, twice as captain
    • David Dunn (1997-2003) (2007-2015) League Cup winner, Over 330 appearances
    • Bill Eckersley (1947-1961) Over 400 appearances
    • Jimmy Forrest (1883-1895) 5 x FA Cup winner
    • Colin Hendry (1987-1989) (1991-1999) Over 350 appearances, Full Members Cup winner, Premier League winner
    • Other Name - Please Specify
    • Morten Gamst Pedersen (2004-2013) Over 340 appearances
    • Tugay (2001-2009) League Cup winner, just shy of 300 appearances

If MGP deserves an entry then we may as well open the floodgates to the entire 1992, 1995, 2001 and 2002 squads. The acheived something tangible for the club. Pedersen was OK but hardly a legend

You can't say MGP deserves it above the LEGEND that was Superonius Markus Atkinonius

Limited player who through hard work bettered himself and eventually shoehorned himself into a team full of multi million pound players and became a champion of england

Edited by Rover_Shaun
  • Like 2

• Backroom

I think we should consider inducting players who were not legends, and never will be, yet played a very significant part in our history; either length of service or extremely important bouts of form. So they may not truly be legends, but they gave us something important and made us love them for a while at least.

The example I’d like to give is Jon Stead. He did very little over his whole time here, yet his immediate impact in his first half-season (latter half of the 03-04 season) personified our perpetual ‘punch above our weight’ history.

Stead became our second-top scorer that season with 6 goals, 4 of them winners vs Boro (his debut), Fulham, Utd, and Everton. Without those goals, we would objectively have been 8-10 points worse off, putting us within a point of relegation. Without the confidence those goals inspired, we may even have been relegated that season.

An inspired piece of business, by a flailing Graeme Souness, who eventually found his level lower in Football League as a journeyman Championship player.

I’d also point out he never celebrated a single goal (scored by himself or a teammate) against us after he left.

Edited by Mike E

I have just voted for other name.  That name being Andy McEvoy.  Against all the odds he ended up being second best scorer in the first division and the following year being joint top scorer with Jimmy Greaves.

In my opinion, absolutely remarkable.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

As I put in the first post....The first group in the Hall of Fame were all players (I know Crompton was Player/Manager).

Maybe the second group will be made up of 'non players' e.g. Jack Walker, Kenny Dalglish, Robert Middleton, Graeme Souness and Tony Parkes (for his non playing role at the club)

On 08/02/2019 at 20:57, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

I believe Bill Eckersley had his ashes scattered on the Ewood turf too.

:brfc:

Yes. Half of them in the left full back area of the Darwen End and the other half in the left full back area of the Blackburn End, so I am led to believe.

On 09/02/2019 at 01:03, Miller11 said:

And maybe as a bit of a wildcard someone who made a big impact in a short period.

Craig Bellamy?  Roque Santa Cruz? Benny McCarthy? 

Also, a non-footballer who made a world of difference to Rovers was Lawrence Cotton.

And if you're going for Andy McEvoy and Tommy Briggs, don't forget Ted Harper.

What a great nostalgic thread this is!

Uncle Jack

Kenny Dalglish

Colin Hendry

Tugay

Tony Parkes

Hendry hasn't had an exemplary personal life but he was immense for us, a legendary old-fashioned centre back who still has a lot of affection for the club. Jack Walker and Dalglish need no justification for being on the list and what they both achieved will probably never be repeated. Tugay is the most talented player I've seen play for us and his status as a folk hero to us means he has to be on the legends list. Tony Parkes has always been there for us, saving us whenever called upon.

Great idea for a topic, it has been very informative to me as I didn't know that Tony Parkes also played for us.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Hypnotic said:

Tony Parkes has always been there for us, saving us whenever called upon.

"Saving" is a bit over the top. 1996 the club was rock bottom of the table when Harford left but that squad was capable of much better. Eriksson ? and Hodgson both agreed to join when the club wasn't mathematically safe so there wasn't too much concern. Some of those players were still around in 1999 but the number of injuries was ridiculous. Chris Sutton said in his book that the players "virtually managed themselves" without coming across spiteful towards Parkes. 99-2000 if anyone thinks that squad was gonna go down in that league they are mad. Would have stayed up easily even if Kidd stayed.

Edited by Vinjay

Eh? Kidd wasn’t sacked in 1999/2000 because we were seriously worried about going to the third division! But because he’d done a piss poor job, spent a fortune on shite and wasn’t going to get us straight back up to the Premier League.

We were a bloody big club for that level in those days.

Edited by Mattyblue

11 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Eh? Kidd wasn’t sacked in 1999/2000 because we were seriously worried about going to the third division! But because he’d done a piss poor job, spent a fortune on shite and wasn’t going to get us straight back up to the Premier League.

We were a bloody big club for that level in those days.

I don't believe for a moment that's what Jack Walker thought. Neither am I saying it's what the vast majority thought.

On 09/02/2019 at 01:03, Miller11 said:

And maybe as a bit of a wildcard someone who made a big impact in a short period.

Look no further than a certain David Speedie.

Instrumental in our promotion season to the top flight...sweet Jesus what an impact he made for one Season.How the ground used to echo to his name pre Shearer.

The banner hung on the gates of the BBE terrace after his shock sale said it all:

"Please Uncle Jack,bring David Speedie Back!"

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Look no further than a certain David Speedie.

Instrumental in our promotion season to the top flight...sweet Jesus what an impact he made for one Season.How the ground used to echo to his name pre Shearer.

The banner hung on the gates of the BBE terrace after his shock sale said it all:

"Please Uncle Jack,bring David Speedie Back!"

Indeed he did. I also thought Gordon Cowans was immense too.

Another one-season hero (for me anyway) was Archibald. We took good care of him ?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...