BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Fred Pickering

12 hours ago, renrag said:

Nice words from Bryan Douglas who, with typical modesty, didn’t mention the massive influence he had in developing the goal scoring careers of both Fred Pickering and Andy McEvoy

as in "put it on a plate for them"!

15 hours ago, 47er said:

as in "put it on a plate for them"!

I wonder how many 'assists' Bryan Douglas had in his Rovers career. It must have been a very high number, shame no such stats exist or that much video of that great team.

I say not much but can't recall any apart from a little bit on British Pathe and the 1960 Cup Final.

There are a lot of photos though in the Talbot Archive facebook pages, including 17 just from the first match I saw at Ewood, 7-2 v Spurs.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

On 10/02/2019 at 13:44, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Bryan Douglas without a doubt.

I can't figure out that photo. We started wearing that kit in late 1962 and the cantilever stand at the Blackburn End was already built by then, maybe it's just out of shot. It's a great photo of Fred in his prime.

He was just coming into the side when I first started watching Rovers. He was a bit raw at first but soon developed in a really top class striker who had it all. A terrific shot in either foot, he was a good header of the ball, very light on his feet for a big man with a good change of pace. He had a trick or two in his game, I'm sure I saw him do that " Cryuff Turn " before Cryuff. On his day he was unstoppable, as other people have said second only to Shearer in my estimation of Rovers strikers. He could beat a player running at them with the ball at his feet, I don't recall that being part of Shearers game, he was more about running past or through opponents.

So many great memories of Fred, I was gutted when he left to sign for Everton. We spent the next ten years and all the record fee we received trying to replace him with inferior players. It was his leaving that started the rot that led to Rovers being relegated in the 1965-66 season and our slide down the Divisions.

RIP Fred and thanks for the memories.

The BBE roof is just out of shot.

• Like 1