BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Reading v Rovers

11 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

I like many was expecting a reaction on Saturday to our hammering at Brentford....I simply don't know what to expect now.

:unsure:

I expect strange decisions by the manager combined with either a nailbiting win or a devastating loss.

• Backroom
2 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

I thought Nyambe was more at fault, it was a good ball in and he lost his man. You think Raya should’ve come for it fair enough and he gave Brentford a goal last week. Still don’t think that means we should start with a keeper whose nowhere near as good as he is just to punish him, it’s about winning games and we’ll win more games with Raya. 

If Raya keeps making mistakes then we change in the summer not now when we have no replacement.

An interesting one and I hope that line of thinking extends to Nyambe in Mowbrays mind, he didn’t ever warrant losing his place.

We really need to be bouncing back with a result here, may be a decent time to make a couple of changes but all of a sudden we don’t look too flush with options.

• Like 1

Think Rovers so unpredictable now - expected a reaction yesterday.  Feels to me like a 'play when we want to' attitude prevails.  Some arses need kicking.

Expect a draw at Reading.

Think Mowbray needs to cut the cr@p, get back to basics and stop the square pegs in round holes.

To me Raya isn't developing as he should and we need to see what Leutwiler can do and give him a run of games.  Nyambe should start at right back - he's the best by far we've got there.  Travis needs a break.  Think Dack needs to be shown no man is bigger than the club (bench him).  Reed has to start centre midfield.  Chapman has to start even if we only get 45 minutes out of him.  I'd start two up top - Graham and Butterworth.

Let them off the leash Mowbray and let the opposition worry about us for a change.

• Like 2

Just now, Mercer said:

Think Rovers so unpredictable now - expected a reaction yesterday.  Feels to me like a 'play when we want to' attitude prevails.  Some arses need kicking.

Expect a draw at Reading.

Think Mowbray needs to cut the cr@p, get back to basics and stop the square pegs in round holes.

To me Raya isn't developing as he should and we need to see what Leutwiler can do and give him a run of games.  Nyambe should start at right back - he's the best by far we've got there.  Travis needs a break.  Think Dack needs to be shown no man is bigger than the club (bench him).  Reed has to start centre midfield.  Chapman has to start even if we only get 45 minutes out of him.  I'd start two up top - Graham and Butterworth.

Let them off the leash Mowbray and let the opposition worry about us for a change.

With selections like Butterworth in for Dack, safe to say I am glad you are not Rovers manager.

• Like 7

Just now, roversfan99 said:

With selections like Butterworth in for Dack, safe to say I am glad you are not Rovers manager.

Don't think Dack is as the top of his game either mentally or physically.  To me, our players don't look fit and, IMO, Dack is one in particular who falls into that category.  No player should be an automatic selection

Mowbray tells us Butterworth is tearing it up in training.  The lad is going on 20 - let's see what he can do - hasn't he earned that chance?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I agree. 

Chapman isn't fit and he has even said himself about his fitness that he didn't want to be rush and get him fit properly. 

Butterworth is a player I like but he shouldn't be starting ahead of Brereton. 

don't agree with dropping Dack unless Mowbray decide to go up front with 2 strikers like Brereton and Armstrong or Graham and Armstrong or Brereton and Graham

50 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Don't think Dack is as the top of his game either mentally or physically.  To me, our players don't look fit and, IMO, Dack is one in particular who falls into that category.  No player should be an automatic selection

Mowbray tells us Butterworth is tearing it up in training.  The lad is going on 20 - let's see what he can do - hasn't he earned that chance?

Hes not on top form but hes still our best player and he scored last week and assisted the week before. 

He also says Brereton and Gladwin are tearing it up in training. Im sure Butterworth is a talent and may be worth a place on the bench but thrown straight in to replace our best player who even amidst moderately poor form is still our talisman? No chance.

I dont think its a case of fitness either, things dont seem to be coming off for him as much as they usually do.

And @chaddyrovers a front 2 including Brereton at the expense of Dack is equally crazy. Hes done nothing to warrant inclusion over Dack either.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I agree. 

Chapman isn't fit and he has even said himself about his fitness that he didn't want to be rush and get him fit properly. 

Butterworth is a player I like but he shouldn't be starting ahead of Brereton. 

don't agree with dropping Dack unless Mowbray decide to go up front with 2 strikers like Brereton and Armstrong or Graham and Armstrong or Brereton and Graham

Chapman came on for 20 minutes as a sub for M'boro in the FA Cup.  Clearly, Pulis (who has achieved more in management than Mowbray ever has) thought the lad was fit enough.  In my opinion, the fitness levels of Rovers are amongst the worse in the Championship (evidenced perhaps by how many late goals we concede) and I don't buy that Chapman is not fit enough to at least start on the bench.  If he's two months away from fitness (which is longer than a pre season!), as I think some have claimed, why the feck have we signed him now when we could have got him in the summer and saved 5 or 6 months' wages!

Why should Butterworth not be starting ahead of Brereton?  Just what has Brereton done to prevent Butterworth making a start?  By Mowbray's own admission, Butterworth is ripping it up in training and, IMO, is more likely to succeed in the Championship as a goalscorer than either Brereton or Nuttall.

As for Dack, in my opionion, he's lost some motivation and fitness and presently is not the player we know he can be.  No player should be an automatic selection - a starting place in the team should be earned.

Edited by Mercer

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

And @chaddyrovers a front 2 including Brereton at the expense of Dack is equally crazy. Hes done nothing to warrant inclusion over Dack either.

Did I ever say drop Dack? Please show me where I said this. 

Look at Millwall away when Mowbray took Dack off and we won 2 nil. 

50 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Did I ever say drop Dack? Please show me where I said this. 

Look at Millwall away when Mowbray took Dack off and we won 2 nil. 

"don't agree with dropping Dack unless Mowbray decide to go up front with 2 strikers like Brereton and Armstrong or Graham and Armstrong or Brereton and Graham."

I was responding to this. Dack is our best player. He has to play. Picking Brereton over him (as 2 of your suggestions do) would be illogical.

• Like 3

Season over so I hope to see some of the kids blooded over the remaining games. Obviously not straight in as starters as Mercer has suggested but the likes of Magloire, Butterworth etc I would like to see off the bench. Any decent fullbacks down there? We could do with a couple.

Sooner or later Mowbray is going to have to put his neck on the line with Brereton and throw him in. I agree that Ben has done little to justify a place in the team but ultimately he has cost a lot of money and the only chance we or he has of getting something out of this is for him to have more minutes to force the issue. Hiding him away on the bench every week or giving him more time to stew is only going to increase the amount of criticism towards Mowbray, especially if we're petering out to a mid table finish.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Mercer said:

Chapman came on for 20 minutes as a sub for M'boro in the FA Cup.  Clearly, Pulis (who has achieved more in management than Mowbray ever has) thought the lad was fit enough.  In my opinion, the fitness levels of Rovers are amongst the worse in the Championship (evidenced perhaps by how many late goals we concede) and I don't buy that Chapman is not fit enough to at least start on the bench.  If he's two months away from fitness (which is longer than a pre season!), as I think some have claimed, why the feck have we signed him now when we could have got him in the summer and saved 5 or 6 months' wages!

Why should Butterworth not be starting ahead of Brereton?  Just what has Brereton done to prevent Butterworth making a start?  By Mowbray's own admission, Butterworth is ripping it up in training and, IMO, is more likely to succeed in the Championship as a goalscorer than either Brereton or Nuttall.

As for Dack, in my opionion, he's lost some motivation and fitness and presently is not the player we know he can be.  No player should be an automatic selection - a starting place in the team should be earned.

He scored last weekend for fuck sake!

Edited by Mellor Rover

13 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Sooner or later Mowbray is going to have to put his neck on the line with Brereton and throw him in. I agree that Ben has done little to justify a place in the team but ultimately he has cost a lot of money and the only chance we or he has of getting something out of this is for him to have more minutes to force the issue. Hiding him away on the bench every week or giving him more time to stew is only going to increase the amount of criticism towards Mowbray, especially if we're petering out to a mid table finish.

There's no rush, he's going to be a 'superstar' for many years to come according to Mowbray. 

3 minutes ago, nathan_rovers1 said:

I love this message board, drop Dack and Raya- two players who have been outstanding for us this year. 

Absolutely clueless...

Dack has been, but whilst I would stop short at dropping him due to the alternative, Raya has made far too many mistakes to be deemed anything close to outstanding.

What is important is that somehow we create momentum in the right direction to end the season - suffer a further run of defeats then morale will dissipate, heads will go down and the trajectory will become inevitably downwards. Keep battling and looking to get wins, and confidence is strong which can easily carry us into a new campaign with a positive outlook.

I know which trajectory I'd prefer (I've been a Rover a long long time, and I've seen it all ways)  - let's give Reading a battering.

Come on you Blues!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Dack has been, but whilst I would stop short at dropping him due to the alternative, Raya has made far too many mistakes to be deemed anything close to outstanding.

He has also made some outstanding saves that have won us points in certain games.

13 minutes ago, WIR Second Coming said:

What is important is that somehow we create momentum in the right direction to end the season - suffer a further run of defeats then morale will dissipate, heads will go down and the trajectory will become inevitably downwards. Keep battling and looking to get wins, and confidence is strong which can easily carry us into a new campaign with a positive outlook.

I know which trajectory I'd prefer (I've been a Rover a long long time, and I've seen it all ways)  - let's give Reading a battering.

Come on you Blues!

Our record in recent seasons we do finish the season relatively strongly normally. 

Even when we went down Mowbray finished the season strongly (8th most points under his tenure if i remember?)

Went 14 unbeaten under Bowyer and nearly sneaked 6th spot, even under Lambert we finished fairly well.

Hopefully we can get a top 10 finish to stand us in good stead for a couple of (hopefully) first team quality signings in the summer and a play off push next year.

Raya is better than Steele but he still has a rawness about him that should really be wearing off now you might expect a couple of bloopers/indecisive moments that cost goals per season from a young keeper but if it's happening every few weeks it's a problem.

Having said that the constant changing in front of him of what isn't exactly a solid defence anyway (contrary to the managers opinion) does him no favours whatsoever.