BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Reading v Rovers

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Not a big Pulis fan but respect his record.

Took Stoke up and spent six years or so in PL with them including FA Cup Final appearance which got them a place in Europe.

Rescued Palace from threat of relegation leading him to be voted PL Manager of the year.

Rescued WBA from threat of relegation.

In essence, 10+ years of relative PL success which Mowbray can't match.

Managers have a shelf life and I think Pulis is nearing the end of his - another yesterday's man.

Yer i thought you were referring to managerial honors, in which they are similar so my bad but otherwise, yes Pulis can boast a better managerial career than Mowbray.

19 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Think we’ll be facing a 3rd defeat on the trot here. They’ll want it more than us which will make the difference and I fear that Tombola Tony is about to really strike. 

Judging by his comments he's going to stick by the trusted group until we are mathematically out of the play off race. I don't think there'll be many changes tomorrow. 

Not on the "season over" bandwagon just yet, but if we are to get back on track we need a couple wins quick time, starting with Reading (Wednesday) and Boro on Sunday. Both winnable games if we bring it.  Performances and standards have dropped a little bit of late. Reading is going to be tough they have been hard to score against recently and will be up for it on their own turf come Wednesday night. We got a little lucky when we met at Ewood earlier in the year, and hopefully we can bring some positivity back for Boro on Sunday. Over the weekend I spoke with Reading supporter James Salter about their season and how he thinks they can fair against our beloved Rovers on Wednesday night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

Judging by his comments he's going to stick by the trusted group until we are mathematically out of the play off race. I don't think there'll be many changes tomorrow. 

Where's Madon when you need him?! One thing is sure as sh!t if Evans is fit - he'll be back in alongside the King.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

I'd rotate Travis for this one, he looked a little sluggish on Saturday, makes it easier to do with Evans back. Without getting into a debate on Grahams fitness i'd be rotating him also.

Raya

Nyambe         Rodwell       Mulgrew       Bell

Bennett         Reed            Evans          Rothwell

Dack

Armstrong

Subs: Leutwiler, Williams, Travis, Smallwood, Conway, Brereton, Graham.

• Like 1

There'll be the usual tripe spouted from TM and the LT about Reading picking up under a new gaffer, keeping clean sheets blah blah similar to Brentford.

These were shite under their old gaffer, shite under their new one and will be shite after we've played them too. Anything but an attacking performance and a win is criminal.

That's why my prediction is a midfield of Smallwood/Evans, Reed out wide, Bennett at full back and ultimately a 2-0 defeat.

Edited by Mellor Rover

I suspect a tight game, probably determined by a single goal (if there is a winner). 0-0 was my tip last week although to be honest it could go either way. They've tightened up defensively under the Portuguese bloke, though he comes with a reputation for being defensive and their goals have dried up.

Obviously a win is essential for us if we've any hope of getting back into the top 6 picture, but I've resigned myself to that not happening, so I'd be content with a point to edge closer to the magic 50 which 'should' see us safe.

20 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I suspect a tight game, probably determined by a single goal (if there is a winner). 0-0 was my tip last week although to be honest it could go either way. They've tightened up defensively under the Portuguese bloke, though he comes with a reputation for being defensive and their goals have dried up.

Obviously a win is essential for us if we've any hope of getting back into the top 6 picture, but I've resigned myself to that not happening, so I'd be content with a point to edge closer to the magic 50 which 'should' see us safe.

Drawn their last three, a 0-0 or a 1-1 tomorrow would be my prediction. I’d take a point as well, we are fast approaching the point where we will have nothing to play for, for the rest of the season, hope we can just enjoy the rest of the season and then push on next year. 

14 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Genuine question. Do people think we will 'push on' next season under Mowbray if he is given a decent budget? 

To even stand still Mowbray will probably have to replace 3 of the best players - Dack (sold), Rodwell (out of contract - more lucrative offer elsewhere) and Reed (recalled by Saints particularly if relegated). Then there is alot more to do as both fullback positions are weak and a back-up/replacement for Graham is desperately needed. Not sure Venkys will fund it and Mowbray's transfer record is mediocre.

43 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Genuine question. Do people think we will 'push on' next season under Mowbray if he is given a decent budget? 

Depends which players are recruited. If the recruitment is good then we could threaten the top 6. If its similar to the summer just gone then we'll probably stay floundering in mid table.

2 hours ago, alcd said:

To even stand still Mowbray will probably have to replace 3 of the best players - Dack (sold), Rodwell (out of contract - more lucrative offer elsewhere) and Reed (recalled by Saints particularly if relegated). Then there is alot more to do as both fullback positions are weak and a back-up/replacement for Graham is desperately needed. Not sure Venkys will fund it and Mowbray's transfer record is mediocre.

Don't forget the ageing Graham, Mulgrew, Evans and Conway ?

2 hours ago, alcd said:

Agree...I would go further and say we have wasted a good opportunity this season.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Agree...I would go further and say we have wasted a good opportunity this season.

Agreed. Poor recruitment last summer and in Jan have cost us.

Progress, even with decent recruitment this summer, is not guaranteed. Theres a lot of money normally needed to be spent to get in the  Top 6 which is why if you spend £7m on a player you have to get it right. 

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Agreed. Poor recruitment last summer and in Jan have cost us.

Progress, even with decent recruitment this summer, is not guaranteed. Theres a lot of money normally needed to be spent to get in the  Top 6 which is why if you spend £7m on a player you have to get it right. 

I can't help feeling uneasy. Momentum appears to have been frittered away.

I just hope we are not going to see a repeat of the previous Venky pattern with Bowyer...hope, frustration, stagnation (with the manager covering for them until his inevitable departure)

Maybe, I should not have binge- watched Sunderland till I die!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Depends if he's going to sign first team players or stick to the mantra of 'nobody is coming in to replace anybody, just to help them out'

Following Bristol City's comeback win over QPR last night, no excuse for not going for a win in every remaining fixture this season.

For Reading, this is also close to a must win match.

I would make Reading favourites tonight- far more riding on this game for them than for us.

Think it'll be a one one grind of a game tonight, slip up again and the feeling of a pin being stuck in the rising balloon of this season a few weeks ago will turn into a bang.

I'll never ever agree with not taking the opportunity to push a football team and club forwards if the opportunity is there no matter who manages it or owns it.

Heart says 1-1

Head says  Reading 2 Rovers 1

• Like 1