BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Reading v Rovers

2 hours ago, nathan_rovers1 said:

You are actually mental... How on earth can you even say you have had enough. Look at what that man has done for us. What on earth are you expecting us to achieve this year? Surely everyone expected mid table? 

Yes, it is frustrating to concede late goals and yes we lost against a poorer team. These things happen and guess what, if they didn't we'd be Barcelona.

Honestly, just get a grip. 

If your happy to continue as we are your the mental one I’m afraid. Lessons not learned will continue to hurt us. Your like a domestic abuse partner, scared to give up what we have in case it’s not better. Dream a little. Mowbray has made more blemishes than good imo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miker said:

There’s always so much criticism slung Mowbray’s way after games like this, but I simply don’t get it. Be careful what you wish for, we already had that experience when people kept calling for Allardyce’s head and then we ended up with Kean.

Even if we were to get rid of Mowbray, there’s no guarantee that the next guy or even the next 5 guys will be any better. In the context of the last few years, we are in a good place right now. To get rid of a manager one season after promotion after very little investment is crazy. This season has been frustrating, and at this stage I’ve resigned to the fact that it’s all about consolidation and nothing more.

IMO we have a team full of potential, but very few players who are actually top-end Championship quality and certainly not Premier League quality. There is a core of young players that I think need to keep progressing this season and mature enough to push on next season. The likes of Raya, Lenihan, Nyambe, Travis, Reed, Rothwell, Armstrong, Dack and Brereton. Maybe even Bell.

Mowbray’s real test will come next season. He will have to delve into the transfer market and make the right recruitments to turn us into a real promotion contender and he will have to keep developing those young players as well. If there is no progress next season then I would consider parting ways and giving someone else a go.

Criticism is fair. He's getting key parts of his job wrong and he seemingly doesn't see it as a problem. Another 2 conceded away from home to mistakes by players he signed. Another late goal that costs us points. Week after week after week the defence let's us down and Mowbray comes out and says it doesn't matter. That is Kean-esque. 

Edited by blueboy3333

3 hours ago, nathan_rovers1 said:

You are actually mental... How on earth can you even say you have had enough. Look at what that man has done for us. What on earth are you expecting us to achieve this year? Surely everyone expected mid table? 

Yes, it is frustrating to concede late goals and yes we lost against a poorer team. These things happen and guess what, if they didn't we'd be Barcelona.

Honestly, just get a grip. 

If we didn't concede late goals every week we'd be Barcelona?????? I thought that if you started your post by calling someone mental you'd go on to make a good point and talk some sense. I was wrong?

• Like 1

Perspective: He had the best squad with the best resources that other league 2 clubs could only dream of and came SECOND.

Before anyone burns their blouse I am not calling for his head only adding the criticism can be warranted. He is not the Messiah.

Edited by Rover_Shaun
  • Like 2

Disappointing. 

Poor January window killed momentum

Of all games why not start Brereton upfront last night and leave Armstrong on the wing, where he is now playing well. Baffling. 

More late goals conceded. 

Why can't Rothwell get a start? He has shown more than Brereton, so if going with Brereton on the wing, why not put Rothwell there? 

Is there a worst manager of the month award? Awful few weeks

• Like 1

Last season we conceded too many goals in an awful league but because we got promoted it papered over that crack. And this season we have the same problem in a better league and Mowbray doesn't seem to bother.

Reading are without doubt the worst team I have seen in the Championship and could have had four against us. He is playing football hokey cokey with Bell and Williams, leaves our best right back on the bench and simply hasn't addressed an obvious weakness at centre  back. The keeper is flaky and has too many mistakes in him. In midfield our soldiers aren't good enough.

So in short we can score but can't defend and the manager doesn't seem to be aware of this.

I type this after three hours sleep after travelling 460 miles to be frustrated and angered by so many things but mainly the 'boss' who seems happy with his lot.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Miker said:

There’s always so much criticism slung Mowbray’s way after games like this, but I simply don’t get it. Be careful what you wish for, we already had that experience when people kept calling for Allardyce’s head and then we ended up with Kean.

Even if we were to get rid of Mowbray, there’s no guarantee that the next guy or even the next 5 guys will be any better. In the context of the last few years, we are in a good place right now. To get rid of a manager one season after promotion after very little investment is crazy. This season has been frustrating, and at this stage I’ve resigned to the fact that it’s all about consolidation and nothing more.

IMO we have a team full of potential, but very few players who are actually top-end Championship quality and certainly not Premier League quality. There is a core of young players that I think need to keep progressing this season and mature enough to push on next season. The likes of Raya, Lenihan, Nyambe, Travis, Reed, Rothwell, Armstrong, Dack and Brereton. Maybe even Bell.

Mowbray’s real test will come next season. He will have to delve into the transfer market and make the right recruitments to turn us into a real promotion contender and he will have to keep developing those young players as well. If there is no progress next season then I would consider parting ways and giving someone else a go.

Correct, from start to finish.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Last season we conceded too many goals in an awful league but because we got promoted it papered over that crack. And this season we have the same problem in a better league and Mowbray doesn't seem to bother.

Reading are without doubt the worst team I have seen in the Championship and could have had four against us. He is playing football hokey cokey with Bell and Williams, leaves our best right back on the bench and simply hasn't addressed an obvious weakness at centre  back. The keeper is flaky and has too many mistakes in him. In midfield our soldiers aren't good enough.

So in short we can score but can't defend and the manager doesn't seem to be aware of this.

I type this after three hours sleep after travelling 460 miles to be frustrated and angered by so many things but mainly the 'boss' who seems happy with his lot.

The two displays against Reading this season will go down as the most frustrating double header in manies a season. 

41 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Correct, from start to finish. 

1 minute ago, K-Hod said:

If there's anyone on a wind up about Graham it's got to be you, to be fair!

Graham has been class. Bristol City have extended highlights of our game against them on youtube. Anyone who thinks Graham isn't our best player should take a look. Take their goal out of it and you could show it to youngsters as a lesson on how to play the target man role. Winning headers, deftly. Using his strength to get in front of bigger defenders. 

Those who slate Graham are clueless about football in my opinion. If was quick he would be playing in the premiership. 

• Like 2

Re the formation/players used last night Mowbray actually reduced his fabled '2.5 forwards' to 2.  Conway is not a 'forward' in a million years, especially now his legs have gone so if you're going to play 3 defensive CM's then at least have 3 players up the pitch who can attack the opposition. I don't particularly rate Rothwell (lots of talent but a bit like an excitable puppy chasing his own tail) but at least he has pace and can run at the full back.

All this against a team that rarely scores and had won 1 in their last 15. And people wonder why Mowbray gets criticised. :rolleyes:

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Re the formation/players used last night Mowbray actually reduced his fabled '2.5 forwards' to 2.  Conway is not a 'forward' in a million years, especially now his legs have gone so if you're going to play 3 defensive CM's then at least have 3 players up the pitch who can attack the opposition. I don't particularly rate Rothwell (lots of talent but a bit like an excitable puppy chasing his own tail) but at least he has pace and can run at the full back.

All this against a team that rarely scores and had won 1 in their last 15. And people wonder why Mowbray gets criticised. :rolleyes:

Could well argue that we played 5, if like me, you think Rodwell and Bennett's best position are both as defensive midfielders.

19 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I also wonder is it worth noting that we have disimpiroved definsivley since Mulgrew got back. 

We are back to old debate with the entire back four really

Bennett - Right sided midfielder/utility man

Rodwell - Converted midfielder

Mulgrew - Arguably similar although played CB for years now so should be bossing it with his quality - he doesn't.

Bell - League 1 player in every sense and probably best as a win back in league - if he could cross it that is.

All good sides are built from the back and you need rock solid foundations - we just don't have them.  Reading scored last night from their first real run into the box attack, it was well taken but just so easy you knew as soon as he picked the ball up in the box. If they'd had us under more pressure like that first half they'd probably have scored earlier despite us playing quite well.

Big recuring problem with Rovers is no end product up top without DG & Dack firing and no commanding calm presence at the back when hit on the break or from set pieces. Hell if we were 4 nil up at half time last night you'd still want a fifth to be safe, shouldn't be like that but it always comes back to the flimsy defence/defenders.

Only way to combat that is sacrifice the attacking principles and shut up shop defending as a team, one unit front to back. Shame though as we do play some decent stuff at times even if the cutting edge is often missing.

• Like 2

The scariest thing now is Lenihan is facing around 8 weeks out and we have to choose between Muglrew, Rodwell a CM and Williams a shite LB for centre half in the championship!!!!! There isn't a league one partnership in that never mind Championship, soon as Rodwell/Mulgrew has to move around and actually close people down they're found out. It's alright defending against big lumps up top for 90 mins but faced with any sort of trickery and we get beat and concede for fun. In the last 11 away games we need to score 3 goals a game on average to win a game.

Reading couldn't believe how easy it was last night. They didn't have to do much at all despite the possession. In fact, they had the better chances and only left their half 4 times!

Ah well, at least we're not against a striker on 119k a week at the weekend.

Well I had made a late decision to watch head to the Madjeski.

Positives: impressive bus shuttle service to and from the ground, good food on offer outside the away end, at times some good spells from Rovers with the players showing commitment to chase everything down, good performances from Travis, Rothwell (needs to start) and Armstrong (misses aside).

Negatives: we lack concentration - as soon as we got the deserved equaliser the inevitable happened, finishing was way off, BB needs game time to find his feet (loan?), Reading’s score board was slow and the announcer non existent, we won’t play a worse team than Reading so 3 points lost.

If we weren’t on the back of 2 defeats you’d probably just feel we were unlucky (which we were), but common theme, something not quite right.

That said, at least the players were up for it and if we keep that up, we will win more than we lose.

2 hours ago, Rover_Shaun said:

Perspective: He had the best squad with the best resources that other league 2 clubs could only dream of and came SECOND.

Before anyone burns their blouse I am not calling for his head only adding the criticism can be warranted. He is not the Messiah.

Having money in any division is no guarantee off success - look at Mourinho at United.

I think people forget what a mess the club was in when TM took over. Many predicted we get relegated again. So please don't under estimate how well he did to get us to second. Even this season to hopefully keep us up is further progress.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I also wonder is it worth noting that we have disimpiroved definsivley since Mulgrew got back. 

Said it before and say it again you can’t get away with playing two cultured CB’s together these days. We need 1 tough bugger back there. Recipe for disaster. 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Disappointing. 

Poor January window killed momentum

Of all games why not start Brereton upfront last night and leave Armstrong on the wing, where he is now playing well. Baffling. 

More late goals conceded. 

Why can't Rothwell get a start? He has shown more than Brereton, so if going with Brereton on the wing, why not put Rothwell there? 

Is there a worst manager of the month award? Awful few weeks

Don't know if your slating Brereton but I genuinely think he was our best attacker out of the three last night. Created a few chances. Drove through players. The only mistake he made was his chance in the second half.

I called it at the 50 minute mark and knew he would come off first. I didn't agree with it then and still don't now.

Not to be unpopular but Burnley a few seasons ago went up with basically a dangerous front two and a solid back four and goalkeeper. 

Rovers have a good front two. A workmanlike midfield but no solid back four or goalkeeper.

Attackers win you games. Defenders win you titles. Sums the situation up.

• Like 4