BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Reading v Rovers

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Even if they were both deemed unfit to start, which I dont really buy but anyway. Why is Rothwell not given a start, not 15 minutes? Why is Brereton out wide? Even assuming selection limitations, he didnt do the best from what he had.

Side note, why was Brereton standing waiting for a short corner at one point? 6 foot odd striker so little threat that he doesnt bother getting in the box.

which you don't buy? wonder why cos it doesn't suit your argument. Do you have any inside knowledge to Graham or Dack fitness before yesterday game? 

Brereton didn't stay wide but drifting inside and show good moments

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Hes played 3 games a week a few times this season. Giving our player of the season so far an extra year was the easiest decision all year.

He has been good but he 33 year old and struggling fitness wise. But not our player of the season for me. 

5 hours ago, Miker said:

There’s always so much criticism slung Mowbray’s way after games like this, but I simply don’t get it. Be careful what you wish for, we already had that experience when people kept calling for Allardyce’s head and then we ended up with Kean.

Even if we were to get rid of Mowbray, there’s no guarantee that the next guy or even the next 5 guys will be any better. In the context of the last few years, we are in a good place right now. To get rid of a manager one season after promotion after very little investment is crazy. This season has been frustrating, and at this stage I’ve resigned to the fact that it’s all about consolidation and nothing more.

IMO we have a team full of potential, but very few players who are actually top-end Championship quality and certainly not Premier League quality. There is a core of young players that I think need to keep progressing this season and mature enough to push on next season. The likes of Raya, Lenihan, Nyambe, Travis, Reed, Rothwell, Armstrong, Dack and Brereton. Maybe even Bell.

Mowbray’s real test will come next season. He will have to delve into the transfer market and make the right recruitments to turn us into a real promotion contender and he will have to keep developing those young players as well. If there is no progress next season then I would consider parting ways and giving someone else a go.

spot on. It the same people who want Mowbray gone last season after 11 games but they were wrong and we achieve promotion. But for some people on here that isn't enough and these same people will keep saying until they get their wish. 

26 minutes ago, JHRover said:

There's no such thing as a game being 'dead and buried' with us. Even if we'd have been 2-0 up I'd have had no confidence in our ability to hold on. See Brentford as an example.

We can't defend and can't grind out results away from home. Nothing really to do with not taking our chances. At worst the game should have been 0-0 or 1-1 yet we conspired to concede 2 goals against the 2nd worst team in the league who couldn't score before last night.

at worst? we should have been up 3 nil before they scored. 

Just now, USABlue said:

Sorry for the verbal diarrhea but imma steaming mad.

You're excused. I was streaming mad the long drive home. I won't do it again - not until Mowbray sorts out this team or goes. It's painful to watch. 

Big thing for me last night was the fans. Very quiet and have mostly given up I think. Quite a few were kicking the seats after both goals went in. Fans are getting fed up with Mowbray

Reading were dire first half but played much better the 2nd thanks to Bell's gift before half time. Mowbray should have taken him off for going to sleep like that. It shows players can make stupid mistakes in this team and get away with it. 

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Really ? One maybe, when Brereton and Armstrong made a mess of a breakaway but their keeper didn't have alot to do. We had alot of possession but no cutting edge. 

which you don't buy? wonder why cos it doesn't suit your argument. Do you have any inside knowledge to Graham or Dack fitness before yesterday game? 

Brereton didn't stay wide but drifting inside and show good moments

He has been good but he 33 year old and struggling fitness wise. But not our player of the season for me. 

spot on. It the same people who want Mowbray gone last season after 11 games but they were wrong and we achieve promotion. But for some people on here that isn't enough and these same people will keep saying until they get their wish. 

Most arent saying Mowbray out but that he needs to address our woeful defensive record. His recent comments suggest he doesnt see it as a concern but it bloody well is.

If they are fit to come on they are fit to start but Ive suggested a far more balanced team above even if they were out rather than the shite he put out yesterday.

Brereton clearly wanted to come central, but he left a midfielder playing right back exposed by coming inside. He is not a wide man. End of. Defending the indefensible.

I love how some people think censuring any criticism of the manager gives them a moral highground. We've lost three on the bounce. Tactics have looked clueless. Any momentum we had a few weeks ago has gone down the crapper. Problem positions were not addressed in January. Money has been splurged on a "project signing" who rarely plays, and when he does he looks little boy lost. Do we have to be at the bottom of the table staring into abyss before they're entitled to complain?

It's all well and good talking about consolidation and the dreaded "stability" but next season there's a good chance we will lose our better players.  

• Like 1

I don't agree. We had 2 maybe 3 chances to score. The likelihood of scoring all 3 is remote, if we'd have got 1 we'd have sat back like we've done countless times.

As I said, at WORST last night we should have come out with a draw. Either 0-0 or 1-1 having done the hardest part and finally got the equaliser late on. Unfortunately once again we manage to find a way to drop points from a good position. Having equalised at that stage away from home you should not lose, certainly not against a side like Reading. I can perhaps excuse late collapses against the likes of Leeds and Sheffield United but not against a side as limited as they are with such a blunt attack.

We were 2-0 up at Brentford and look how that one ended up. Nothing to do with failing to take our chances. Failing to keep a clean sheet is the problem.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Brereton clearly wanted to come central, but he left a midfielder playing right back exposed by coming inside. He is not a wide man. End of. Defending the indefensible.

I watched Brereton closely last night. The lad can play a bit but not with his back to goal like Danny Graham. He's big and has all the attributes but is weak physically. One Reading player literally knocked him off the ball at one stage and Brereton just fell over. His miss was unforgivable too - all he had to do was side-foot it with his left foot. Also, why does he keep fiddling with his socks ? 

3 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Can only reiterate Stuart's comment...

DON'T DARE PUT IN A NO SHOW AGAINST EITHER PNE,BOLTON OR WIGAN!!:angry:

Think that would be the tipping point for quite a few.

We managed to at Preston and Wigan where we were absolutely abysmal.

7 minutes ago, Mercer said:

When he has money to spend, and he doesn't ie January, he claims it's difficult to improve on what we've got with available budgets.  One could therefore conclude that either, we haven't got a pot to pi$$ in or that Mowbray is useless on recruitment if he cannot strengthen one of the worse defences in the Championship.

And if he doesn't have the money to spend can't he improve what we have with good coaching and tactics and managing the team better ?  Isn't that his job? 

• Like 1

All last night did was highlight our and Mowbray's ineptitude in regard to transfers. There was only 4 changes made last night and shows an injury to one or 2 and we're absolutely feckered.

Enough squad player signings, time to replace his 'favourites'.

Williams, Gladwin, Samuel, Smallwood and Conway all need to be shown the door and replaced with players ready for first team action. 

• Moderation Lead
31 minutes ago, Madon said:

That game was screaming out for a Chapman-esque player last night. Can't wait until he's ready to play.

4 3 3 would probably work if we had 2 proper wingers, Brereton and an ageing Conway isn't the answer. 

Judging by his Instagram, him and his missus were having a lovely night at a Teppanyaki restaurant.

Meanwhile, Craig Conway was wheeled out for us.......

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The thing is as well, just say Dack and Graham werent fit enough to start. That doesnt excuse the selection. Would have made more sense to start Williams and Nyambe full back, Reed instead of Smallwood to add some dynamism to the middle 3, Brereton central and Rothwell and Armstrong either side. That would have been far more balanced even assuming Dack and Graham couldnt play.

Smallwood had a better game than Reed on Saturday. Pick players on form not on favouritism but you slammed Mowbray but you are doing the same. 

Maybe you could have played Rothwell instead of Conway, would it improve the result. who knows. 

Armstrong did fine up front apart from Scoring

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Most arent saying Mowbray out but that he needs to address our woeful defensive record. His recent comments suggest he doesnt see it as a concern but it bloody well is.

If they are fit to come on they are fit to start but Ive suggested a far more balanced team above even if they were out rather than the shite he put out yesterday.

Nothing wrong with the team cos we played well until the finishing/final ball. 

Nothing wrong with Brereton coming inside and Bennett providing the width. 

Just now, JHRover said:

I don't agree. We had 2 maybe 3 chances to score. The likelihood of scoring all 3 is remote, if we'd have got 1 we'd have sat back like we've done countless times.

As I said, at WORST last night we should have come out with a draw. Either 0-0 or 1-1 having done the hardest part and finally got the equaliser late on. Unfortunately once again we manage to find a way to drop points from a good position. Having equalised at that stage away from home you should not lose, certainly not against a side like Reading. I can perhaps excuse late collapses against the likes of Leeds and Sheffield United but not against a side as limited as they are with such a blunt attack.

We were 2-0 up at Brentford and look how that one ended up. Nothing to do with failing to take our chances. Failing to keep a clean sheet is the problem.

Bell and Conway should have scored. Armstrong should have put of those chance away. 

Yes we should have got a point after Bell scored, but like I said last night Rodwell should be showing him down the line on his weaker foot not letting him coming inside and shooting. 

Yes at Brentford we should have shut up shop at 2 nil and make sure we got the win. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

All last night did was highlight our and Mowbray's ineptitude in regard to transfers. There was only 4 changes made last night and shows an injury to one or 2 and we're absolutely feckered.

Enough squad player signings, time to replace his 'favourites'.

Williams, Gladwin, Samuel, Smallwood and Conway all need to be shown the door and replaced with players ready for first team action. 

I'd add Bell and Bennett to that list as well. 

Edited by Ewood Ace

• Moderation Lead
2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

not fit. few weeks away yet

I know he's not available, Chaddy. Just making the point that he can't get to full fitness soon enough when we have to play Conway!!

• Moderation Lead
Just now, Ewood Ace said:

I'd add Bell and Bennett to that list as well. 

Bennett is fine as a squad player as he grafts and can play a couple of different positions competently (right back is not one of those positions).

He doesn't make our strongest XI for me though.

20 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

On Nyambe, everyone makes mistakes, but his defending for Bristols goal last weekend was simply atrocious. You wouldn't see it in Sunday league. 

I could buy into that if others like Raya. Smallwood and Bennet we're held to the same standard. Bennet was shocking against Swansea away. Brentford away and I think he played there against Norwich at home? But might be wrong with that one.

It's not like we are putting rock solid players in who don't usually play that position.

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Smallwood had a better game than Reed on Saturday. Pick players on form not on favouritism but you slammed Mowbray but you are doing the same. 

Maybe you could have played Rothwell instead of Conway, would it improve the result. who knows. 

Armstrong did fine up front apart from Scoring

Yes we should have got a point after Bell scored, but like I said last night Rodwell should be showing him down the line on his weaker foot not letting him coming inside and shooting. 

Do you genuinely think that Smallwood is a better option in central midfield than Reed? 

Conway was on for 75 Minutes and offered nothing bar missing a good chance. Rothwell was on for 20 minutes and assisted a goal, his pace and running with the ball was a constant  threat whereas Conway offered no threat.

Armstrong did fine apart from scoring. I'd say if your striker misses two good chances then he hasn't been fine.

The problem is Rodwell isn't a centre back as showed last night but because Lenihan is injured and we have no other defenders Rodwell has to play there, that is down to the manger letting centre backs go out on loan and not bringing anyone in.

1 hour ago, Mellor Rover said:

He spent circa 12 million quid this summer and only 2 players get into our 11 one of which isn't even our player and the other was here last season.

Not doubting you  - but how is the 12m split ? 7 for BB, AA 1.75, Rothwell 0.5, Davenport ?

Ultimately how TM is going to be viewed will rest to a large extent on BB - sounds like had a half decent match last night - but needs to add goals to justify that large fee.

Just now, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Not doubting you  - but how is the 12m split ? 7 for BB, AA 1.75, Rothwell 0.5, Davenport ?

Ultimately how TM is going to be viewed will rest to a large extent on BB - sounds like had a half decent match last night - but needs to add goals to justify that large fee.

I assumed it as 7million for Brereton including add ons, 3 million for Armstrong including add ons and 'roughly' 2million spent on Rothwell, Davenport, loan fees for Palmer/Reed. Add Champan from January to that and you won't be far off I wouldn't have thought. I know add ons aren't guaranteed but you'd think they'd come into the budget.

Davenport was rumoured to be about half a million and to be fair did have rave reviews and looked good in pre season. Hopefully next season he can replace Smallwood.