BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Reading v Rovers

Big test tonight - I'm looking for a reaction after 2 lamentable defeats. No doubt Tinkerman Tony will be moving his chess pieces around throughout the game but it will be the attitude of the players that will be most important, a bit of pride and passion in the performance. 

• Like 2

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Big test tonight - I'm looking for a reaction after 2 lamentable defeats. No doubt Tinkerman Tony will be moving his chess pieces around throughout the game but it will be the attitude of the players that will be most important, a bit of pride and passion in the performance. 

Rich Sharpe thinks we'll be seeing the return of the 'Smallwood-Evans axis' this evening.

44 minutes ago, philipl said:

Probably needed against Reading but certainly not against Boro.

Personally I never want to see that combination again barring an injury crisis. Its not that I particularly dislike either its just that I dislike the way we play our football when those two are together it always end with us going long ball. A combination of one and Reed or Travis who are a bit more likely to press up the field.

Think it's no surprise that we won 4 on the bounce in January and particularly against Hull played some lovely football with Smallwood absent. The midfield that day was much more fluid and I don't think we can do that with Smallwood playing.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tom said:

Would be lovely to enjoy an evening match on sky for once, hardly ever recall us winning one 

Evening games at Ewood under Bowyer with THAT Williamson/Lowe midfield... 

• Moderation Lead
36 minutes ago, AdamRochina said:

3-1 to reading and a board meltdown 

Losing 3-1 to a team in the bottom three after two straight defeats would quite rightly lead to an outpouring of frustration and anger, to be fair.

If anyone wants a reasonable reaction, they probably shouldn't come on here right after a defeat. People usually think more clearly once they've slept on it....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Rich Sharpe thinks we'll be seeing the return of the 'Smallwood-Evans axis' this evening.

Oh dear. If it happens I'd wager that Mowbray uses the tired young player excuse but I think he's had this in mind from when Travis earned his place. The last two games aside Travis has been our best player and to 'drop' him would be incredibly unfair in my book and borders on favouritism.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Personally I never want to see that combination again barring an injury crisis. Its not that I particularly dislike either its just that I dislike the way we play our football when those two are together it always end with us going long ball. A combination of one and Reed or Travis who are a bit more likely to press up the field.

Think it's no surprise that we won 4 on the bounce in January and particularly against Hull played some lovely football with Smallwood absent. The midfield that day was much more fluid and I don't think we can do that with Smallwood playing.

I might be proved wrong it wouldn't be the first time under TM but I did think once the new line up and system had a spanking he'd revert to type and it'll be hard to see it change again. I suppose many managers would do the same in the hope of settling things down again but i'm convinced Mowbray prefers the plod more than anything bold or exciting like he makes out at times.

To make something work and let it grow you have to stick to it especially when its proved it does work when you hit the right buttons and if this season is being quietly written off as a transition period were a few young ones get bloodied then why not stick to the more looking for a win front foot stuff ?  Yes you'll get tanked now and again and also lose the odd thriller but against the right opposition there'll be a few more Hull City style wins. 

Please not a return to the groundhog plodding grow a team to sell Championship days just yet whilst the season still has life in it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Oh dear. If it happens I'd wager that Mowbray uses the tired young player excuse but I think he's had this in mind from when Travis earned his place. The last two games aside Travis has been our best player and to 'drop' him would be incredibly unfair in my book and borders on favouritism.

Its frustrating, if he deems that Travis needs a break then fair enough, he's had two average games recently but then you can't just revert back to something that we know isn't good enough. Play Reed and Evans in there. In CM we've got Reed, Travis, Evans, Smallwood, Bennett, Davenport and then Buckley coming through the academy, we've got plenty of options there's no reason to play those two together again.

Don't want to criticise the Manager before the fact but I just hope he doesn't  revert back to that pairing.

Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Its frustrating, if he deems that Travis needs a break then fair enough, he's had two average games recently but then you can't just revert back to something that we know isn't good enough. Play Reed and Evans in there. In CM we've got Reed, Travis, Evans, Smallwood, Bennett, Davenport and then Buckley coming through the academy, we've got plenty of options there's no reason to play those two together again.

Don't want to criticise the Manager before the fact but I just hope he doesn't  revert back to that pairing.

I agree Travis' form dipped for the last two games but in truth who had good games in those and should be worthy of a start tonight? If he is left out it will leave a bad taste for me personally. I genuinely believe that Travis was the catalyst for the recent good form we had and to 'rest' him is both unfair and unwarranted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Would be lovely to enjoy an evening match on sky for once, hardly ever recall us winning one 

The League One matches were generally a good time. Peterborough at home was a belter for its significance. Those Dack / Graham celebrations were worth it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CD_93 said:

The League One matches were generally a good time. Peterborough at home was a belter for its significance. Those Dack / Graham celebrations were worth it.

One of my favourite ever matches at Ewood. Those who stayed away for such an important game really missed out.

51 minutes ago, CD_93 said:

Just watched the highlights of that game to remind me.

Good job we didn't take Dack and Graham off when we needed a goal.

51 minutes ago, CD_93 said:

Such an underrated finish that last one from Dack - the way he lets it run across his body is sheer class.