BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Gordon Banks

Rest in Peace Gordon.

I didn't need to see that save from Pele in HD, super slow motion or even in colour to know I had witnessed something that would go down in history. He was like a contortionist saving that but he made hundreds of other top class saves too.

I saw him speak at a dinner a few years ago and the thing that struck me was his humility.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Rest in Peace Gordon.

I didn't need to see that save from Pele in HD, super slow motion or even in colour to know I had witnessed something that would go down in history. He was like a contortionist saving that but he made hundreds of other top class saves too.

I saw him speak at a dinner a few years ago and the thing that struck me was his humility.

I was lucky enough to meet him as well Tony via my dad, he was such a down to earth bloke. You would never ever believe he was a World Cup winner, he didn’t mention it once in the whole conversation. Just wanted to tell me how good Dougie, Ronnie and - ironically Picky were!

Ah it’s been a sad week for losing the greats.

RIP Gordon

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, den said:

Such a moving tribute from another man of great humility.

Interestingly after that save Gordon got a pat on the head and one on the backside. Nowadays it's high fives all round if somebody does something moderately good.

I grew up watching one of the best England keepers, ever. I was ten when he had his crash, and I prayed he would be okay. I cried when I found out he wouldn't play again. Surely, why we all love the beautiful game? (And, yes Pele's comments are from a bygone age.....very few gentleman footballer's left).

Really upset by this news, just as I was as a kid when he lost an eye in a car crash which prematurely ended his career.... hero to a generation.

Rodney Marsh was on the radio today and said that when he was called up for England he was told he was sharing a room with Banks and he was terrified at the prospect of  rooming with such a legend.

Banks' first words to him: "Cup of tea?".

Different gravy.

As a side note I don't think there are any great keepers about these days. They're all expected to be Lionel Messi with the ball at their feet but they can barely stop a shot or catch the ball.

To think Joe Hart wore the same shirt as Banks. The best of a bad bunch these days is De Gea but none of them are fit to lace the boots of Banks, Shilton,  Jennings (or Sir Roger Jones).  I'd say the last two great modern keepers were Schmeicel and Friedel.

Rant over. RIP Gordon.

• Like 1

Just now, Mike E said:

Not Buffon, Rev?

Yes, fair enough, was talking domestically really.

At his peak I thought Buffon looked a bit like the great keepers of yesteryear. So good at narrowing his angles he looked bigger than he actually was and you wondered if there was any way you could actually squeeze the ball past him.

• Like 1

The Banks save is undoubtedly the most iconic of all time and I'm more than happy for it to be considered the greatest save ever but in the spirit of debate does anyone think Jim Montgomery's  double save for Sunderland against Leeds in the '73 FA Cup Final was even better?  (Sorry I'm not tech savvy enough to link to it)

I think they were both equally extraordinary myself and neither have been bettered.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

The Banks save is undoubtedly the most iconic of all time and I'm more than happy for it to be considered the greatest save ever but in the spirit of debate does anyone think Jim Montgomery's  double save for Sunderland against Leeds in the '73 FA Cup Final was even better?  (Sorry I'm not tech savvy enough to link to it)

I think they were both equally extraordinary myself and neither have been bettered.

Both great saves but Banks is superior IMO. Banks was diving backwards and down. Montgomeries saves were at an easier height to get to. 

• Like 1

Rarely have I seen such collective disbelief on a footy pitch at a save. His team mates, and opposition, simply couldn't believe it and didn't quite know how to react.

Taking everything into account, including the pitch and the kick off the turf the ball had, still the best save I've ever seen.

I remember watching the game live. When Jairzinho did Terry Cooper on the goal line I thought " This looks like bad news ". When I saw Pele head the ball I thought " This is a goal ". I couldn't figure out how Banks kept that header out. He had to get across the whole of the goal and then get down into the far corner.

England were brilliant that day, it's still the best performance I've seen from an England team and that includes the '66 Final. Moore and Mullery were outstanding in keeping that tremendous  Brazil team to 1 goal. We really deserved a draw and we would have got one if Jeff Astle hadn't have missed a great shooting chance late on.

• Like 1