BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

1 minute ago, scotchrover said:

Would agree with that about Mowbray after what I saw against Reading. I’ve got a season ticket too, before anyone comments ?

The big difference between Allardyce and Mowbray is that we commit more men forward. Allardyce basically had 10 men defending for 80 minutes of the game, where as Mowbray likes to commit men forward, and rightly so, in order to give us the best chance of scoring. Allardyce’s brand wasn’t half crap to watch too. I refused to renew my season ticket after his first full year in charge.

Mowbray’s biggest downfall is the way he organises the team to defend. We never man mark, unless it’s a set piece. It’s all zonal marking. Those goals on Weds night, and ones previous to that, show our back line to be very lax in the way they pick oppositions players up. They need to be bang, smack next to them, not close them. 

The other issue we’ve got is pace. Mulgrew and Rodwell, albeit it  technically gifted, are ridiculously slow. I’d be looking to move those to next to Lewis Travis in a deep lying midfield role, and investing some younger lads to sit alongside Lenihan. 

To contradict my last point though- we probably could sign some decent, younger defenders, but unless Mowbray tells them to be breathing down there neck, when we’re on the back foot, we are absolutely goosed! 

Yes, we're a slow team all right, which is why Rothwell made such a difference when we came on , a fast player  who takes the ball past people.

Getting defenders to defend properly shouldn't be that difficult for Mowbray, who was a rugged, old school defender in his day. But he seems to be incapable of doing it. I don't think he really knows how to set up a team properly.

Have to disagree about Sam. Loved him to bits; the day he was sacked I knew as a club we were doomed to relegation. But that's another debate

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Yes, we're a slow team all right, which is why Rothwell made such a difference when we came on , a fast player  who takes the ball past people.

Getting defenders to defend properly shouldn't be that difficult for Mowbray, who was a rugged, old school defender in his day. But he seems to be incapable of doing it. I don't think he really knows how to set up a team properly.

Have to disagree about Sam. Loved him to bits; the day he was sacked I knew as a club we were doomed to relegation. But that's another debate

It’s a bizarre one alright! Mark Venus, his right hand man, isn’t exactly short of experience either is he? 

Agreed- the team wasn’t up to playing pretty football, with the money drying up. I started watching Rovers under Souness though, being the age I am. Up until that point, I only knew that we could play football to entertain. 

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Couldn’t agree more with this.

But I feel the “grass might be greener” crowd are falling into the same trap right now with Mowbray.

I’ll take midtable “consolidation” this year and hopefully knocking on the door next. But I won’t sweat it if we take our time - it’s a massively competitive league and we have no god given right to get out of it.

I might not agree with every decision and I feel frustrations too - but I enjoy having someone in the dugout that I trust.

If that’s naive or not I suppose I’ll only really find out in time.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 2

Of course we need to stick with TM, as despite his flailings, you have to say we have progressed season on season with him in charge. Relegated on a record points haul by GD with his points per game average putting us midtable, so that relegation was not down to him. We then bounced straight back up and are now consolodating with a probably midtable finish.

Progress each season. That said, I can see why some might not see him as being able to take us to the next level which is to challenge in the top half and potentially break into the top six. He deserves the chance though and unless we really start going backwards he should be in charge.

• Like 4

One of the main problems in Feb has been the drop in form of Reed. He does so much covering across the back four but has not been as effective in the last three games. A dominant keeper who can organise the back four also needed, Raya nowhere near the finished article and has no real competition.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Of course we need to stick with TM, as despite his flailings, you have to say we have progressed season on season with him in charge. Relegated on a record points haul by GD with his points per game average putting us midtable, so that relegation was not down to him. We then bounced straight back up and are now consolodating with a probably midtable finish.

Progress each season. That said, I can see why some might not see him as being able to take us to the next level which is to challenge in the top half and potentially break into the top six. He deserves the chance though and unless we really start going backwards he should be in charge.

i agree with that and I've actually said it earlier this season. I have doubts about his ability at the highest level but he deserves the chance to try. 

But we really have to get going again or we'll finish near the bottom.

That would be hard to forgive.

2 hours ago, Giant said:

One of the main problems in Feb has been the drop in form of Reed. He does so much covering across the back four but has not been as effective in the last three games. A dominant keeper who can organise the back four also needed, Raya nowhere near the finished article and has no real competition.

Problem is with Reed he gets shunted around everywhere so understandably he’s finding it hard to keep high levels of consistency. Another Bennett in TM’s eyes. I’d wager he doesn’t want to be and probably sees himself as a CM. Can’t see him coming back next season unless Saints and other south based clubs don’t want him.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

12 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Problem is with Reed he gets shunted around everywhere so understandably he’s finding it hard to keep high levels of consistency. Another Bennett in TM’s eyes. I’d wager he doesn’t want to be and probably sees himself as a CM. Can’t see him coming back next season unless Saints and other south based clubs don’t want him.

The crazy thing is, he is by far our best central midfielder. His performance in the centre of midfield at West Brom was the most complete performance that I have seen from a Rovers players since we were relegated from the Premiership. 

• Like 3

On 15/02/2019 at 16:15, blueboy3333 said:

If you think Lenihan or Mulgrew should go then I question your judgement.

And Williams is a better defender than Bell IMO. 

Raya needs serious competition. He has cost us more goals than he's saved this season. 

But you are saying Mulgrew should go in the Boro match thread now? I'm confused!  So are you questioning your own judgment now?

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

But you are saying Mulgrew should go in the Boro match thread now? I'm confused!  So are you questioning your own judgment now?

He's played poorly but he's our 2nd best CB. He's our 2nd best CB but he's still a bit shit. It's not difficult. You think Lenihan should leave. That's why I question your judgement. OK hun now? 

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

He's played poorly but he's our 2nd best CB. He's our 2nd best CB but he's still a bit shit. It's not difficult. You think Lenihan should leave. That's why I question your judgement. OK hun now? 

No, I said one of. You said neither should leave. Which is silly as our defence is shit. But you have now changed your mind and are saying Mulgrew should leave, haven't you hun? 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

No, I said one of. You said neither should leave. Which is silly as our defence is shit. But you have now changed your mind and are saying Mulgrew should leave, haven't you hun? 

Part of the problem now is there is no viable alternative to Mulgrew and Lenihan. No other centre backs. Rodwell, Williams, Nyambe, not centre backs. Even if we sign a centre back or 2 which we need to, we need competition.

• Like 2

On 16/02/2019 at 08:22, JacknOry said:

Mowbrays managerial record shows that his teams results go into freefall after a couple og seasons and he doesnt know how to stop it. 

• Like 1