BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

ROVERS v Boro

15 minutes ago, DE. said:

The problem, as has always been the case under Venky's, is that the manager has too much responsibility. He has to not only select and manage the team, but also the scouting, the youth system, the transfer activity, the club christmas do... it's too much. I'm not entirely sure what Waggott does in his role, but somebody should have been questioning TM about his apparent lack of interest in recruiting in the January window whilst allowing Downing to head out on loan. Surely somebody in a position above Mowbray should have said "look, it's nice that you're trying to run a tight ship here - but we've only conceded less than Ipswich and Rotherham, and we've just let a centre back go out on loan despite our other options being injury prone and questionable in terms of their abilities. Why are we not looking to strengthen what is clearly a weak defence? What are your plans to shore the back line up if not through bringing in better players?"

Instead the manager seemingly answers to nobody, until Venky's randomly decide they don't like the way the wind is blowing this month or the meet a new "adviser" and suddenly the manager is out on his arse and the club is thrown into chaos again. The club isn't right at the very top and that's where our problems stem from. 

What nobody knows is who TM enquired about during the transfer window. Given our wage constraints - perhaps he thought he couldn't afford to bring in better than what we have. After today's performance many would say it wouldn't be difficult to improve on what we have - but IMO part of that performance was down to the system played - and individual mistakes from our captain. I will be interested over the next few games to see if anymore youngsters are given an opportunity - for me if he wasn't able to bring in better than what we have would much prefer to see them given a chance.  

• Backroom
Just now, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

What nobody knows is who TM enquired about during the transfer window. Given our wage constraints - perhaps he thought he couldn't afford to bring in better than what we have. After today's performance many would say it wouldn't be difficult to improve on what we have - but IMO part of that performance was down to the system played - and individual mistakes from our captain. I will be interested over the next few games to see if anymore youngsters are given an opportunity - for me if he wasn't able to bring in better than what we have would much prefer to see them given a chance.  

It's possible that we were active and just unable to bring in targets, but everything we've heard from Mowbray suggests he's perfectly happy with the squad and doesn't consider strengthening a huge priority at this moment in time. Unless we hear otherwise we have to assume that this is indeed the case, regardless of whether money was or was not available to him in January.

Agreed that we should start giving the youngsters a chance. The current first team are frankly taking the piss with some of these performances, going all the way back to November when Wigan and Preston annihilated us. Travis should now be a mainstay in the team until the end of the season. I could probably perform better than our left backs as of late so there must be a prospect or two at the club who might benefit from being given a chance to show what they can do. Not too dissimilar issues at centre back - again, maybe time to call up a younger player and see what they can offer? You wouldn't want to throw a bunch of kids in at once, but a gradual introduction into the first team as we've seen with Travis may provide the extra spark we are very sorely lacking at present. Some of our team seem to think the season is already over. They're not necessarily wrong but the bare minimum is still to give 100% to the paying supporters who deserve better than what they're getting from the manager and the team at present.

Sad to say I will be quite happy to see a few of the squad leave so they are no longer a consideration for mowbray, in that camp 

williams

smallwood

conway

mulgrew

evans 

some thoughts on others

graham- doesn’t have another season as starter in him, one more season as a sub.

dack- isn’t a prem player, if we get a ridiculous offer in I would sell. Has moments but nowhere near consistent enough.

Raya- had a good game today but I’m yet to be wholly convinced, still makes daft mistakes that should be stamped out by now. Wholly to blame for our Birmingham collapse. 

Brereton and Armstrong need to be taken off wing duties and be allowed to play in their actual position, not fair on them. 

Overall our team looks helluva small, in the tunnel before the game it looked like men vs a schoolboy team. Need some more monsters brought in. I wasn’t a fan of him at the time but I’d happily take Andy Todd right now 

53 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark, and I think it’s deeper than Mowbray.

When we got sruffed by Preston and Wigan, some people did comment that we played as if something had happened behind the scenes during the international break and it looked like the players weren't playing for the manager.

Since then we've had a couple of good performances and thankfully we managed to put those 4 consecutive wins together but overall results have been very poor, it's only seventeen points from the last seventeen games now.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

When we got sruffed by Preston and Wigan, some people did comment that we played as if something had happened behind the scenes during the international break and it looked like the players weren't playing for the manager.

Since then we've had a couple of good performances and thankfully we managed to put those 4 consecutive wins together but overall results have been very poor, it's only seventeen points from the last seventeen games now.

I thought at the time Charlie not being allowed to play for Scotland was behind it. Mowbray being too pally then putting his foot down could well have turned a few off. Not that players need much excuse to point the finger and nothing be their fault.

The Brereton thing, and I’m convinced he was signed over Mowbrays head, may have convinced a few more he’s not got the clout to wield the axe.

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Not a fan of home and away teams as it does nothing to promote consistency. Especially defensively.

But why have you gone for a more conservative choice of winger at home?

And what has Brereton done to warrant further starts every other game?

These younger lads need full game minutes. If our manager has basically written off the season after January then I'd like to see more of the younger players playing full games.

If they make mistakes so be it that's what you get with young players.

We seem to play whoever comes to mind in defence anyway. Truth be told neither Rodwell or Mulgrew are up to it at this level as defenders. It's making the best of a bad bunch.

The Bennet at home part is because I genuinely never will believe he would be dropped from the team and I don't think we've many other options. The winger might be defensive but the two centre midfielders are more attacking. Got to have some balance.

Brereton is doing what a young 19 year old lad whose in and out of the team being badly managed will do. He's had an okay game at reading but a poor game against Middlesbrough. If we are dropping players for consistent poor games then a good number of experienced players should be dropped as well.

To me. Get to 50 points make sure we aren't relegated then bring some youth academy players in say 2 or 3 and give them a go. Away from home there is less pressure certainly from your own fans. I've seen someone say today that Brereton gets the ball at home and it's sudden doom and gloom. 

Away from home I would honestly say to the lads, keep your shape this is the set up and get on with it. Nice and simple because the over complicated stuff isn't working. Let lads make mistakes and be a manager and help them learn. 

Blackburn Rovers won't get anything out of playing Conway, Bennet and the likes EVERY game.

1 minute ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I thought at the time Charlie not being allowed to play for Scotland was behind it. Mowbray being too pally then putting his foot down could well have turned a few off. Not that players need much excuse to point the finger and nothing be their fault.

The Brereton thing, and I’m convinced he was signed over Mowbrays head, may have convinced a few more he’s not got the clout to wield the axe.

If the players aren't happy for any reason I'd have thought it was more likely to be because many of them are out of position.

Of the front men only Graham gets to regularly start in his preferred position. Armstrong and Brereton are both out of position imo on either flank as was Samuel before them. God knows where Dack is meant to be playing at the moment, he was like a third centre half bringing the ball out today.

In midfield Reed is out of position out wide and in defence arguably our most promising talent in Nyambe keeps getting chopped to accomodate Bennett playing out of position at RB and on the other side Bell can't get any real consistency going because he's in and out of the team to facilitate the abysmal Williams getting game time in a role he's clearly not comfortable with, he spends more time in his favoured centre back position than where he's meant to be at LB.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

If the players aren't happy for any reason I'd have thought it was more likely to be because many of them are out of position.

Of the front men only Graham gets to regularly start in his preferred position. Armstrong and Brereton are both out of position imo on either flank as was Samuel before them. God knows where Dack is meant to be playing at the moment, he was like a third centre half bringing the ball out today.

In midfield Reed is out of position out wide and in defence arguably our most promising talent in Nyambe keeps getting chopped to accomodate Bennett playing out of position at RB and on the other side Bell can't get any real consistency going because he's in and out of the team to facilitate the abysmal Williams getting game time in a role he's clearly not comfortable with, he spends more time in his favoured centre back position than where he's meant to be at LB.

Maybe, but Armstrong started in the middle against Reading and Reed in centre kid today and both were cack. Surely their chance to prove the boss wrong. 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, what was the story with Dack today or pretty much for the last while? Is he turning into a comfortable mid table championship player? 

I felt Dack was the only player in the 1st half who show any sort of desire or working hard. 

2nd half he worked hard. 

Dack not the problem today 

1 hour ago, DE. said:

The problem, as has always been the case under Venky's, is that the manager has too much responsibility. He has to not only select and manage the team, but also the scouting, the youth system, the transfer activity, the club christmas do... it's too much. I'm not entirely sure what Waggott does in his role, but somebody should have been questioning TM about his apparent lack of interest in recruiting in the January window whilst allowing Downing to head out on loan. Surely somebody in a position above Mowbray should have said "look, it's nice that you're trying to run a tight ship here - but we've only conceded less than Ipswich and Rotherham, and we've just let a centre back go out on loan despite our other options being injury prone and questionable in terms of their abilities. Why are we not looking to strengthen what is clearly a weak defence? What are your plans to shore the back line up if not through bringing in better players?"

Instead the manager seemingly answers to nobody, until Venky's randomly decide they don't like the way the wind is blowing this month or the meet a new "adviser" and suddenly the manager is out on his arse and the club is thrown into chaos again. The club isn't right at the very top and that's where our problems stem from. 

Mowbray is allowed to mark his own work . Not good or right.

5 hours ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

I actually disagree about Reed - think right midfield is his best position - in the centre he chases the ball too much and gets caught out of position. 

Good point. 

I like him wide right so he can get forward and score. 

Him and Travis could be the way to go even tho I think Evans has been one of our best players this season

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Any response to this @Mercer

if you going to sack him Mercer can you give me 3 names who you would like to replace him? please be realistic. You can ask you want after

If Rovers want me to find them a manager better than Mowbray then I will.  My fee will be reasonable and due diligence will be done on any recommendation. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

if you going to sack him Mercer can you give me 3 names who you would like to replace him? please be realistic. You can ask you want after

In fairness there are options right now; Jokanovic and Wagner are both free and proven successes in this league for a start.

You’re a big fan of Hughes who is also available.

Not to mention managers that have had some success but gone off the boil the likes of Carvalhal or even Rowett for the desperate.

Not saying it’s the answer but there are options at the moment and that’s just obvious names without looking further afield like other teams have done 

• Backroom

After today, we need to keep things as simple as possible in terms of how it has worked for us before. Going off who’s available:

Raya

Nyambe Rodwell Mulgrew Bell

Bennett Travis Reed Armstrong

Dack

Graham

Once all are fit and available:

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan Rodwell Bell

Chapman Travis Reed Armstrong

Dack

Graham

Mulgrew, Bennett and Evans can still be useful, but not as starters anymore where possible.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

What has stood out for me in the last 2 years under Mowbray is  that the passing is very poor. Eventually that will catch up with you. The defending is also poor. We get the basics wrong. Looking for reasons beyond that for our rece t results is to excuse the quality of the coaching. 

Norwich have it right, if you can't defend then feck it off and make sure you score 3 every week.

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We had this when Bowyer was in charge.

The argument of some, and yourself, was who could we get who is better.

The answer is quite simple.  Firstly, there are presently umpteen out of managers out there with better track records than Mowbray - you follow football and know who's available .  Secondly, when there is a vacancy, you would be surprised, of those currently managers, who might just express an interest.

What is absolutely clear in my mind, is that there are better options out there than Mowbray.  I also think Venus and Lowe are two underwhelming individuals and at times today, when the cameras were on the Rovers' dugout, I thought they were sitting there looking dumbfounded.  

Let me ask you Chaddy, do you honestly believe Mowbray is the best managerial option for Rovers? 

• Like 1

The chances of them appointing someone better in terms of on the pitch stuff are very slim they'll just go down the usual route of one of whichever clients their advisors present them with that'll never change under this lot. They just got lucky with Mowbray it's as simple as that and for the off the pitch stuff you really would struggle to get anyone better than him he was the right man at the right time.

As for how could Blackburn Rovers attract better ?  Well we could it's utter @#/? to think we couldn't especially the shape TM and the boys have now got the club in. What they have to realise though is they just will not achieve it on the cheap just look at the Lambert fiasco and Coyle titanic stupendous stupid disaster.

If a manager says he can get promotion with this squad or by spending peanuts or just wages on loans he's either lying or deluded.

As always the problem isn't attracting a better calibre of manager to Blackburn Rovers the problem is venkys and their friends in low places !

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

What's the point of that ? Do you seriously think the Chicken Chokers will have heard of any of them ? Knowing them they'd probably promote Lowe. Who saw any of their appointments coming ?

Maybe Tony is A genius and is playing this way cause the venkys have cut the funds and expect us to get top 6 and he is proving that unless they invest we are not going up :) i dnt have anything else to explain why we keep playing so badly and wrong players in position all time 

Edited by Roboftherovers82