BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

ROVERS v Boro

35 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

What has stood out for me in the last 2 years under Mowbray is  that the passing is very poor. Eventually that will catch up with you. The defending is also poor. We get the basics wrong. Looking for reasons beyond that for our rece t results is to excuse the quality of the coaching. 

I've been saying that for ages, we just don't look a well coached team. I watched the first half of the Doncaster v Palace game. Even Doncaster looked better than we do on the ball.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

The best part of the season is going to be when we are mathematically safe, and we can start looking at other ways to play, and hopefully some youth prospects.

Painfully went back and watched the game a second time. 

Very jealous of Boro 3-5-2 system, they have a plan and execute it well, and the 3 Boro centre backs today in particular were very good,  apparently two of the them aren’t regulars. Would be the first names on our team sheet. I am not going to blame the money gap here but they had some expensive players in terms of transfer fees and wages. Assombalonga was quality, and him to score at anytime today was a freebie. Nyambe did well on him in the second half I thought for the most part.

We must be the most boring and slow team in the league.

Rodwell did okay first half, although a reckless challenge for his booking and a really stupid shove on BA after the whistle blew are causes of concern. He was however much better than Charlie who had his worse rovers game to date. He looked ill to me, like terminally.

Evans was totally and utter useless today, and a waste of a Jersey, it’s performance that makes you miss Smallwood.

Our movement off the ball is dreadful. Our passing is slow, pointless and ponderous, even the commentators on sky and espn said the same thing.

We missed Rothwell today, or the thought of Rothwell today.

Reed was adorable up against Mikel.

The amount of shit Bell gets on here is incredible, the ball into the box on 51mins was fantastic. He was about our only threat to beat a player today. 

Dack coming deeper is fine with me, if you have two strikers up top. He worked hard today I thought, and he really should have scored, great save by the keeper.

Armstrong for me just goes missing way too much in games, his pace was largely useless today. I do think he would benefit, maybe more than anyone, with a formation change.

Bennett and Graham struggles mightily today, not for the first time this season. Both are squad players for me. 

Wonder if Magloire will play tomorrow night for under 23s? Would like to see Brereton prove it in the under 23s.

Edited by Fraserkirky
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Roboftherovers82 said:

Maybe Tony is A genius and is playing this way cause the venkys have cut the funds and expect us to get top 6 and he is proving that unless they invest we are not going up :) i dnt have anything else to explain why we keep playing so badly and wrong players in position all time 

That scenario has been banded about a bit recently and i'm beginning to suspect that despite what he says there wasn't any funds worth spending because it really wasn't enough to improve the team and I don't mean the Assombalongas of this world.  We've had this before under these lot with managers saying they're keeping it dry when really there wasn't enough powder to set off a firework.

Some of the stuff he's been coming out with recently sounds more and more like he's pleading with the owners for significant investment whilst trying to pacify fans, again not unusual under this ownership. After all the pay rises,contract extensions including his own and the signing of Brereton & Armstrong I think he might have been told that's your lot and he fears it'll be the same in summer.

Just a hunch based on previous things here.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Sad to say I will be quite happy to see a few of the squad leave so they are no longer a consideration for mowbray, in that camp 

williams

smallwood

conway

mulgrew

evans 

some thoughts on others

graham- doesn’t have another season as starter in him, one more season as a sub.

dack- isn’t a prem player, if we get a ridiculous offer in I would sell. Has moments but nowhere near consistent enough.

Raya- had a good game today but I’m yet to be wholly convinced, still makes daft mistakes that should be stamped out by now. Wholly to blame for our Birmingham collapse. 

Brereton and Armstrong need to be taken off wing duties and be allowed to play in their actual position, not fair on them. 

Overall our team looks helluva small, in the tunnel before the game it looked like men vs a schoolboy team. Need some more monsters brought in. I wasn’t a fan of him at the time but I’d happily take Andy Todd right now 

Graham is being done a disservice again I feel. He kept going until the end and even in the last 10 minutes he made our best 2 chances. (one he did well to set for himself but blazed over off balance and a lovely header for Dack) We do need some a competent alternative (Nuttall and Brereton are not that) but his fitness is constantly prematurely written off.

And Dack is the last person who should be sold. Hes in poor form (albeit last 3 games hes been hindered by an injury, starting on the bench and being played far too deep) but he has 11 goals and 5 assists in a very limited team. Hes probably not a Premier League but theres not a chance we could get a replacement of equal quality. I suspect with him it is a case of not being fully appreciated until hes gone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom said:

In fairness there are options right now; Jokanovic and Wagner are both free and proven successes in this league for a start.

You’re a big fan of Hughes who is also available.

Not to mention managers that have had some success but gone off the boil the likes of Carvalhal or even Rowett for the desperate.

Not saying it’s the answer but there are options at the moment and that’s just obvious names without looking further afield like other teams have done 

firstly thanks Tom. 

I'm unsure on Jokanovic after reading that he didn't have much involvement in the Fulham signings over the last couple of seasons including their summer recruitment. 

I don't think Hughes would drop down a league. 

I have my thoughts and many other fans will have there. some that I would agree with and think realistic suggestion and some I wont

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

We had this when Bowyer was in charge.

The argument of some, and yourself, was who could we get who is better.

The answer is quite simple.  Firstly, there are presently umpteen out of managers out there with better track records than Mowbray - you follow football and know who's available .  Secondly, when there is a vacancy, you would be surprised, of those currently managers, who might just express an interest.

What is absolutely clear in my mind, is that there are better options out there than Mowbray.  I also think Venus and Lowe are two underwhelming individuals and at times today, when the cameras were on the Rovers' dugout, I thought they were sitting there looking dumbfounded.  

Let me ask you Chaddy, do you honestly believe Mowbray is the best managerial option for Rovers? 

Yes and I'm happy with Mowbray with him as manager. 

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

What's the point of that ? Do you seriously think the Chicken Chokers will have heard of any of them ? Knowing them they'd probably promote Lowe. Who saw any of their appointments coming ?

if People want rid of Mowbray then come up with proper realistic suggestions

51 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Very jealous of Boro 3-5-2 system, they have a plan and execute it well, and the 3 Boro centre backs today in particular were very good,  apparently two of the them aren’t regulars. 

really, Fry, Shotton and Friend all played over 20 times this season. 

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Graham is being done a disservice again I feel. He kept going until the end and even in the last 10 minutes he made our best 2 chances. (one he did well to set for himself but blazed over off balance and a lovely header for Dack) We do need some a competent alternative (Nuttall and Brereton are not that) but his fitness is constantly prematurely written off.

And Dack is the last person who should be sold. Hes in poor form (albeit last 3 games hes been hindered by an injury, starting on the bench and being played far too deep) but he has 11 goals and 5 assists in a very limited team. Hes probably not a Premier League but theres not a chance we could get a replacement of equal quality. I suspect with him it is a case of not being fully appreciated until hes gone.

Graham has been a great signing for the club, and believe me I do appreciate him but these days he is no longer a top champ striker. He never was the quickest but he is even less mobile these days. And he should’ve buried that chance, went with the wrong foot. 

Again I appreciate dack, love when he is on song but too often he looks disinterested and tries to beat three men himself before losing the ball. There was an instance today where he just plainly kicked it right out of play. I feel that we are over reliant on him, off song then we struggle. If we have to sell for the good of the team and get 2-3 game changers in off the back of his fee then that’s what I would do. We need to have a stronger all round unit than individuals 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Dack wasn't poor today or the problem at all today. 

He put a right good shift in today. 

I agree he is not PL quality at this stage. 

22 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

firstly thanks Tom. 

I'm unsure on Jokanovic after reading that he didn't have much involvement in the Fulham signings over the last couple of seasons including their summer recruitment. 

I don't think Hughes would drop down a league. 

I have my thoughts and many other fans will have there. some that I would agree with and think realistic suggestion and some I wont

Yes and I'm happy with Mowbray with him as manager. 

if People want rid of Mowbray then come up with proper realistic suggestions

You don’t think Sparky would drop down a league? There’s no chance his next job will be with  a premier league club. His stature/reputation in the game is at an all time low after the way things finished at Stoke and his poor spell at Southampton.. Me personally I like Mowbray but Bowen and Hughes would be a huge improvement on Venus and Mowbray. Not that it would ever happen.. Until the time comes where we should be looking elsewhere I think we should show Mowbray a bit more respect after what has been a good spell for him here overall, if this form continues then that thought could soon change but for now he should be given a chance to turn it around without some calling for his head.. He’s a top man who I honestly feel cares about the club and us supporters, at least give the bloke a chance to turn it around. We’ve nothing to play for now this season, changing the manager at this stage would be pointless. Review it at the end of the season... Four defeats on the bounce is awful form, but if you look at the league table in isolation. We’d have all taken being in the position we are now games played and points wise before the season commenced.. 

I’m still not sure if it was a foul or not, but I’m sure there’s no way the ref can have been sure given he was at least 30 yards behind the ball. He was stationery on the half way line expecting Charlie to head it forwards, and reacted a lot slower than the players chasing the ball. Plus the lino was side on so he couldn’t know either.

Watching the highlights again, Rodwell was a lot worse than I thought at the time for the goal plus the sending off chase.

BFE41D7F-AF44-4ED0-B128-53304EFCDEF3.png

Edited by Exiled in Toronto
Thick

Awful first half worst I have seen Charlie Mulgrew play in a rovers shirt whole team out thought and outplayed in the first half, Jack Rodwell neither strong enough or mean enough to play centre half as for Ben Brereton he is neither strong enough or quick enough  to be a striker at this level yet both a centre half and striker should have been purchased in the January   transfer window.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well Shotton is more of a right back and Friend is more of a left back, but what a luxury to be able to just slot them into a back 3 when needed. 

I agree with getting bigger and more physical. Evans and Reed looked like wee laddies today. 

Edited by Fraserkirky

1 hour ago, Butty said:

I think we should show Mowbray a bit more respect after what has been a good spell for him here overall, but for now he should be given a chance to turn it around without some calling for his head.. He’s a top man who I honestly feel cares about the club and us supporters. 

I agree we should show him more respect and we shouldnt be calling for his head. 

Yes hes a top man

50 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I agree we should show him more respect and we shouldnt be calling for his head. 

Yes hes a top man

To me, the Brereton signing spoke volumes.

If it was Mowbray's decision then I think it's proving to be a horrendous decision as evidenced by the gaping holes all over our team whilst Brereton spends most of the time sat on the bench and when he does get on the field of play, he looks, IMO, no better than a free transfer 'chance'.

If it wasn't Mowbray's decision to sign Brereton then, IMO, he is not the purported man of principle;  he simply should have walked and said he was not prepared to put up with any interference in team affairs. 

Edited by Mercer

4 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

What has stood out for me in the last 2 years under Mowbray is  that the passing is very poor. Eventually that will catch up with you. The defending is also poor. We get the basics wrong. Looking for reasons beyond that for our rece t results is to excuse the quality of the coaching. 

When has our passing been good? 

4 hours ago, Mercer said:

To me, the Brereton signing spoke volumes.

If it was Mowbray's decision then I think it's proving to be a horrendous decision as evidenced by the gaping holes all over our team whilst Brereton spends most of the time sat on the bench and when he does get on the field of play, he looks, IMO, no better than a free transfer 'chance'.

If it wasn't Mowbray's decision to sign Brereton then, IMO, he is not the purported man of principle;  he simply should have walked and said he was not prepared to put up with any interference in team affairs. 

It is possibly the most damning part of his reign here, like I said I like Mowbray but that signing is just mystifying... If that 7 million could have gone on a left back and a centre half who knows where we’d be in the league.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tomphil said:

The chances of them appointing someone better in terms of on the pitch stuff are very slim they'll just go down the usual route of one of whichever clients their advisors present them with that'll never change under this lot. They just got lucky with Mowbray it's as simple as that and for the off the pitch stuff you really would struggle to get anyone better than him he was the right man at the right time.

As for how could Blackburn Rovers attract better ?  Well we could it's utter @#/? to think we couldn't especially the shape TM and the boys have now got the club in. What they have to realise though is they just will not achieve it on the cheap just look at the Lambert fiasco and Coyle titanic stupendous stupid disaster.

If a manager says he can get promotion with this squad or by spending peanuts or just wages on loans he's either lying or deluded.

As always the problem isn't attracting a better calibre of manager to Blackburn Rovers the problem is venkys and their friends in low places !

To be fair,

They committed 10 million for 2 strikers this summer, one who plays on the left wing and one who plays on the left side of the bench.

11 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

To be fair,

They committed 10 million for 2 strikers this summer, one who plays on the left wing and one who plays on the left side of the bench.

They've paid 1.75 and whatever the first instalments on BB were, something similar i'd imagine so an outlay of of around 3-3.5 million over the summer and Jan windows so far - peanuts mate ?

As for your other point yep totally agree and there's only one door that lies at - Mr Complicator.

1 hour ago, Butty said:

It is possibly the most damning part of his reign here, like I said I like Mowbray but that signing is just mystifying... If that 7 million could have gone on a left back and a centre half who knows where we’d be in the league.

Agree on a centre half but I'd say a top striker was far more of a priority than a LB myself, I don't think Bell is anywhere near as bad as many make out on here. Williams on the other hand.........

Whilst the summer is going to be absolutely massive in terms of rebuilding the squad and our short to medium term future we might not be looking too bad if we could give the team a spine by bringing in a commanding centre half, quality central midfielder and top striker. Next season If we could line up something like

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan (New CH) Bell

Reed (or NewCM) Travis     Chapman                        Rothwell                                     Dack                                                   (New main striker)

... then you've got the nucleus of a promising side.

(Spacing gone wrong sorry. Obviously Chapman,  Rothwell on either flank and Dack behind main striker)       

Edited by RevidgeBlue

9 hours ago, LDRover said:

We peaked with TM at 2-0 versus Brentford - no doubt in my mind we're on the slide with him now. If he couldn't get a response today after that debacle on Wednesday then he's either lost the players or he can't motivate them. Probably both.

I think the second half showed he can still motivate the players - just wonder he can't do that at the start of a match.

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

Mowbray's first game at Burton.

A few weeks ago we played a high intensity, fast passing game against Hull when the consensus of opinion was that it was the best we have played under Mowbray. Since then (10 minutes at Brentford aside) we have been as poor as we have under Mowbray. Has something happened in the interim to cause such an extreme change in form? None of us really know but Mowbray needs to get to the bottom of it. If it's players then weed them out and get shut. If it's him he needs to perhaps review his methods and coaching. Whatever it is (and clearly there is something wrong) it can't be allowed to fester otherwise there is only one way we are going.

• Like 1

Just now, arbitro said:

A few weeks ago we played a high intensity, fast passing game against Hull when the consensus of opinion was that it was the best we have played under Mowbray. Since then (10 minutes at Brentford aside) we have been as poor as we have under Mowbray. Has something happened in the interim to cause such an extreme change in form? None of us really know but Mowbray needs to get to the bottom of it. If it's players then weed them out and get shut. If it's him he needs to perhaps review his methods and coaching. Whatever it is (and clearly there is something wrong) it can't be allowed to fester otherwise there is only one way we are going.

It might sound obvious - but it all comes down to taking chances. It is a bit chicken and egg - because we don't make the most of our chances it puts additional pressure on our defence. You could argue vice versa - but in lots of matches we seem to miss chances at key times prior to conceding .

Against Hull they had a good chance to take the lead - they missed it and we went to win comfortably. Against Reading we should have scored at least one prior to them scoring - again a different match. Brentford - we had chance to make it 3-0 and missed it - again would have been a different match. Even yesterday  - we had more than one chance to make it 1-1 while Boro continued to miss chances at our goal.

This division is extremely tight - I don't think there is much to choose between most teams.