BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Accents

Think they could cut it down to just the  round baked dough question :)

Mine ended up dark red basically in the shape of the old Lancashire Boundary

Thanks for posting @philipl, the individual maps to each question are interesting, Nick off (school) seems to be showing as predominantly North East, was a common term with those I went to school with (or didn't in this case)  in Blackburn.

From being over here for a while it does seem Northerners are the least likely to lose their accents and or develop a slight Australian one

Edited by perthblue02

There are words people with strong Lancastrian accents pronounce such as kewd/owd/nowt/owt or the dreaded buzz instead of bus. Then local phrases like cracking the flags but sometimes there’s words I thought were nationally standard until people from different areas challenge what I’m saying. 

I thought mithered/oined were universally standard words but apparently not. Pop (fizzy drink) is apparently a northern phrase. Those maiden things for drying clothes are called something else down south. Not even sure if this one is from lancs but I call those hard bits of skin between nail and finger stepmother jags but heard them called hangnails.

I've got a bit of all sorts too as my husbands a southerner so I've used some of his phrases and he used some of mine. I just tried to think back to what I used to say when I was a kid but for me the telling words were nithered and mafted. Never heard them anywhere but Teesside and me when I say them still

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 21:44, old darwen blue said:

Most of Lancashire bit of sw Yorkshire and a smidgin of Cheshire. Us Darreners are cosmopolitan you know. 

I got the same, and I'm from Accrington. Interesting, as I've been in the USA for half my life. I answered based on my daily language. Tea was dinner and sweets were candy as they are the words I use now, although I'd revert if I was speaking to a local.

• Backroom
9 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Only needs 1 question for east Lancs folk, the one that we all answered with ‘teacake!’ :D

YES!!!

And all the other ‘names’ for a teacake are either TYPES of teacake or are different things entirely.

‘Teacake has currants in it’, no, that’s a currant teacake.

Barm? Slightly bigger teacake, slightly crusty... crust.

Oven bottom? Huge teacake.

Cob? A teacake with chips in it.

Muffin? Sweet bun.

Scone? A FRIGGING SCONE.

Stottie? Are you on ketamine or something, sounds like a dog-related speech impediment.

• Like 1

Mine mirrors the old Lancashire boundary (it’s still there but that’s another story) that includes Manchester, Liverpool and Barrow in Furness. The darkest area included East Lancs. A smidgin crept into West Yorkshire, I hate to admit. Now living in Northwich, Cheshire, I have yet to pick up any ‘posh twat’ phrases (tee, hee). They do say ‘eh up’ more than us Lancastrians which I found hard to believe.