BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Accents

I’m fascinated by accents.

Even in east Lancs, where the towns generally have similar accents (apart from Burnley), there are differences.

I.e in Blackburn we say ‘footbowl’, but in Darwen it’s more ‘footbaaal’.

Folk from Accy way tend to say ‘town’ and ‘down’ like Boltoners.

Any more you’ve noticed?

• Backroom
On 25/02/2019 at 08:43, Claytons Left Boot said:

Interests me how many accents are unable to pronounce the letter r when it’s in the middle of a word, especially Mancs and Yorkshire folk. Car park becomes cah pahk, Mars Bar becomes Mahs Bah etc. Even the inbreds prounounce Ashley Barnes as Ashlah Bawnes.

Car park = Noah’s fishing vessel.

Mars Bar = Your mother’s sheep impression.

• Like 1

• Backroom
6 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Even in east Lancs, where the towns generally have similar accents (apart from Burnley), there are differences.

Any more you’ve noticed?

Not specifically but I agree with our area having so many distinct accents. If you were to travel from Burnley to Manchester taking the M65, then A666, I count at least 8 different accents.

Burnley, Accy, Blackburn, Darwen, Egerton, Bolton, Pendlebury(ish), Salford, Manchester.

Tempted to include the Rishton/Gt Harwood area separately too.

Edited by Mike E

8 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Any more you’ve noticed?

A book published in 1912 written by a John Lingard (not the 18th century chronicler of the Catholic Faith in England prior to emancipation) describes journey by tram around all the municipal systems of Lancashire and the distinct dialects and accents of each town. 

I remember one of those excruciating evenings when main board directors had dinner with graduate recruits a Shell being sat with a particularly full of himself individual. I had worked out he wasn't Leeds and wasn't Bradford as sussing out his accent was more interesting than what he was saying when suddenly he threw down the challenge to the sycophants: "I bet you can't work out where I come from from my accent".

Before I knew I'd done it I said Pudsey. Cue one very crestfallen Shell Member of the Committee of Managing Directors trying to explain to the rest of the table where Pudsey, the town of his birth, is... This was before Pudsey Bear so nobody had ever heard of it- nor of Bradford... Leeds still had a football team in the early '80s.    

• 2 years later...

Is all about the rolling of the RRRRRRRR ..Rhoticity

Accrington and Rawtenstall all still roll their R's yet step five mile to Burnley and they completely drop the R.

Rhoticity in Lancashire: Preston to Colne | Welcome to SWPhonetics

Im Accy and worked in Burnley and they couldnt get over how differently i spoke them!

Edited by HowieFive0

I spent a lot of time with my grandparents in Rishton growing up and have spent a lot of time around many of the local towns including Blackburn, Darwen, Accy, Ossy and Clitheroe so I've picked up little bits and pieces from all over. 

I'm still predominantly Blackburn though. 

It's funny when you're on the other side of the world, people can't get over the accent. I don't know how many times I've had to tell people I'm not Irish. The worst is when they ask you if you're from Yorkshire. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Upside Down said:

I spent a lot of time with my grandparents in Rishton growing up and have spent a lot of time around many of the local towns including Blackburn, Darwen, Accy, Ossy and Clitheroe so I've picked up little bits and pieces from all over. 

I'm still predominantly Blackburn though. 

It's funny when you're on the other side of the world, people can't get over the accent. I don't know how many times I've had to tell people I'm not Irish. The worst is when they ask you if you're from Yorkshire. 

It can be worse, like being called a Scouser, and when looks register it becomes 'Oh but from the Wirral'

37 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

It can be worse, like being called a Scouser, and when looks register it becomes 'Oh but from the Wirral'

Haha I can honestly say that I've never had that. One guy was bang on the other week, he picked my Lancashire accent straight away. To be fair though he'd spent a while working in Chorley of all places.

Usually it's "where are you from, Yorkshire?" 

Then I half jokingly respond with "fuck off."

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Dialect can sometimes be a wonderful thing when you find yourself in foreign parts. Many years ago when working in Australia, I was filling up my car in an outback petrol station late at night and went into the shop to pay. There was an elderly gentleman behind me in the queue who overheard me talking to the shop assistant, and he said to me “ Nah then lad, where are you from”? 
England I replied. 
I know that but whereabouts? Lancashire I said I’m from Blackburn.
I thought so, I’m from Oswaldtwistle he said.

I said that must be true because you can say it.
He was in his eighties and had emigrated in the 50’s as a £10 Pom, but had retained his dialect of which he was very proud. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Lots of people comment on how I've still got my accent. 

I've certainly picked up a lot of words and phrases along the way. Some of them are pure gold. 

Now, is it luke or luck?

So have I lol, was on the phone to my daughter earlier, said I was making crib then going to work. She said what's that? I said what we called bait when I was a lad. She still didn't get it till I explained it was my packed lunch 🙄😂

• Like 1