BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

• Backroom

My view (not expressed in the poll) is that he's done okay at best, but needs support in certain areas. Dack aside, transfers don't seem to be his strong point so I would appoint somebody above Mowbray to deal with that side of things. Obviously Tony should still have the final say on whether he wants a player to be purchased or not, but it couldn't hurt to have somebody focused solely on transfers and strengthening the current team. There are glaring problems in our team that haven't been addressed for two windows now. If Mowbray is unwilling or unable to bring in the right players to improve us then somebody else should be tasked with it. Unfortunately with Venky's in charge we have no idea who would end up in that role. Just as likely to be a returning Steve Kean as anybody useful.  

• Like 2

I'm in a minority of people I speak to you but I wanted rid last season after the Oldham away debacle and I still think he is tactically inept.  We won promotion despite him and not because of him. If he hadn't of signed Dack, his transfer dealings would be classified poor at best. With Dack, mixed. 

Off the field I think has done brilliantly to pull the club together and I still think the reason he hasn't had questions asked before now is because of off the field relations

• Like 2

Unless it's me,  at least 2 of the 4 poll options don't make any sense whatsoever?

"No he hasn't for a long time" Eh?

"Just only just" Just only just what?

Presumably the final option refers to backing him.

If there was an option that said "Would reluctantly let him go because can only see things getting worse if he remains" then that would be nearest my position

I have little doubt however that he won't be sacked barring something fairly catastrophic so that being the case I hope he guts the squad in summer,  builds something fresh and exciting and proves me wrong.

• Like 7

• Moderation Lead
1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Unless it's me,  at least 2 of the 4 poll options don't make any sense whatsoever?

If there was an option that said "Would reluctantly let him go because can only see things getting worse if he remains" then that would be nearest my position

I have little doubt however that he won't be sacked barring something fairly catastrophic so that being the case I hope he guts the squad in summer,  builds something fresh and exciting and proves me wrong.

It's in response to the question at the top of the page 'Does the manager deserve his job?'.

Probably should have been 'Back or Sack' then said question, admittedly, but it wasn't me!

Edited by K-Hod

I wouldn't say he doesn't deserve his job....yet. On the other hand I highly doubt he has what it takes to make us challengers - based on the style of football I have seen throughout his reign. He has a relatively pressure free (or should) end to the season now to prove he can change his ways. So I'm somewhere between just about deserves his job and reassess in summer. 

Had the question been is he the man to turn us into challengers next season, then I'd have been a no.

Edited by Songman
  • Like 2

Just now, K-Hod said:

It's in response to the question at the top of the page 'Does the manager deserve his job?'.

Oops ok, missed that completely. Thanks.

I think you have to take a view on it either way now. The problem with "reassessing in summer" is that it may be too late by then. The summer window will be crucial imo and we simply can't afford to get it wrong (again).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Loaded questions. The plot thickens. .

• Moderation Lead

I've got some grave concerns about the same problems that seem to keep rearing their head, but I've voted for him to keep his job for now. 

I'd really like to see him tackle these problems (I think we all know what they are). 

18 minutes ago, Madon said:

The aim this season was to avoid relegation, anything else was a bonus.

Unless we get relegated, which isn't going to happen, then Tony Mowbray should be going nowhere. 

This club was at the lowest point in it's history before he came in, that cannot be rectified in 2 years. Give the man time to continue to sort the mess out. He's doing a sterling job for me, despite the current blip. 

The squad that got relegated should not of been relegated but due to manager's ineptness that season we did. Although not totally to blame, Mowbray's tactics at times did cost us valuable points that season, PNE at home instantly springs to mind. I know several will argue that if that season started at the point he took over we'd have finished seventh and its a fair point but many of the faults of that squad still remain and as such the coach has failed to solve the problems he inherited.

The conceding of late goals, the fact that we don't get out of our defensive third in the last quarter of a game. The inability to defend set pieces correctly. All these still remain as well as the lack of overall match fitness.

The squad on the whole hasn't changed a great deal and as such should be aiming higher than just above the relegation. Mid table was a fair target if the basics are done correctly and maybe a push for the playoffs if basics are built on as well as well thought out tactics.

Edited by dingles staying down 4ever
  • Like 1

If the club had come up from League One, spent next to nothing, then being clear of the relegation zone (so far) this season would be a success for Mowbray.

The big problem is that he had spent nearly £10 million in summer and we don't look any better for it.

Spending the vast majority of our budget on Brereton is turning out to be complete madness.

Wouldn't surprise me if Venkys pointed this out in Switzerland, which prompted the rant about European scouts.

More changes needed  behind the scenes before we can think about kicking on, with or without Mowbray.

A decent left back would also help. 

I voted the last one although doing a great job is stretching it.

I don't think what he says in the media is doing him any favours. He deserves to keep his job If you look at it simplistically. He got us up and I'm assuming keeping us up. That was his target and he achieved it. 

This summer is absolutely massive. He has to get the recruitment spot on, he has to be ruthless with his current squad and for the remainder of this season he has to improve the overall quality of football with the players he has.

I don't believe he will take us any higher than mid table but he deserves an opportunity to implement what he says. 

I also give him some benefit of the doubt when working for these clowns as we all know what is said in public and what actually happens can be slightly different and what could follow shouldn't be a factor in my decision but sadly it is. I have been stopped from posting this by moderators. coyle scarred me for life.

I think after the summer around the first international break is the time to asses what he has done and I think would be a fair time to start seriously questioning a manager that has done alot more good for this club than bad

• Like 1

If the plan is to try and get out of The Championship at some stage, then Tony isn't the man to do it.

He's had 2 years here. Last season we got away with promotion simply because of the relatively poor standard of the 3rd tier - we didn't exactly do a Luton and a lot of our victories were actually closer games than they should have been and largely because of Shrewsbury's poor squad they went to pieces at the end enabling us to avoid a nervy play-off situation.

This season we've been largely found out, after many teams underestimated us early doors allowing us to amass relegation avoiding points.

The tag-line for this current era (hey let's have a poll) would probably be something like 'square pegs, round roles'.

Too many players being played out of position (often half the team). Over complicated tactics etc. Rewarding players because  of misplaced loyalty rather than for  footballing reasons. This is the running theme.

The deal-breaker for me is the negativity. Including downplaying our own team, bigging up other teams to the point where it's laughable (what was it...Bury's left back is Roberto Carlos and Preston are the New 2003-04 Invincibles??? etc). Then very recently i've read certain comments from players about aiming for the play-offs which have been totally contradicted by a manager who got a nose bleed and gave up on the season in January.

From a footballing point of view he's not going to take us any further and he's not suddenly going to go on a football manager crash course and change during the summer. He's already long established.

Then when you add in the bizarre transfer window tactics (no strengthening of obviously weak areas and blowing the entire transfer budget on a dud). It just further tips the scales.

Obviously we don't have any football men at the club to help Tony out and we're run by football hating lunatics, so who knows what is really going on?

I think we could well be 10 points worse off this time next season in a real battle.

• Like 4

Just now, Husky said:

If the plan is to try and get out of The Championship at some stage, then Tony isn't the man to do it.

He's had 2 years here. Last season we got away with promotion simply because of the relatively poor standard of the 3rd tier - we didn't exactly do a Luton and a lot of our victories were actually closer games than they should have been and largely because of Shrewsbury's poor squad they went to pieces at the end enabling us to avoid a nervy play-off situation.

This season we've been largely found out, after many teams underestimated us early doors allowing us to amass relegation avoiding points.

The tag-line for this current era (hey let's have a poll) would probably be something like 'square pegs, round roles'.

Too many players being played out of position (often half the team). Over complicated tactics etc. Rewarding players because  of misplaced loyalty rather than for  footballing reasons. This is the running theme.

The deal-breaker for me is the negativity. Including downplaying our own team, bigging up other teams to the point where it's laughable (what was it...Bury's left back is Roberto Carlos and Preston are the New 2003-04 Invincibles??? etc). Then very recently i've read certain comments from players about aiming for the play-offs which have been totally contradicted by a manager who got a nose bleed and gave up on the season in January.

From a footballing point of view he's not going to take us any further and he's not suddenly going to go on a football manager crash course and change during the summer. He's already long established.

Then when you add in the bizarre transfer window tactics (no strengthening of obviously weak areas and blowing the entire transfer budget on a dud). It just further tips the scales.

Obviously we don't have any football men at the club to help Tony out and we're run by football hating lunatics, so who knows what is really going on?

I think we could well be 10 points worse off this time next season in a real battle.

Well, we could be, but it's a bit wild of a claim before seeing how the summer goes! 

As a club in that has been in chaos over the last 8 years we need stability. Sure TM is not the most exciting manager ever, but he is stable manager who seems like a decent guy as well. That is something we can relate to. His mistake was to say that he had hopes that we could bounce through the championship. That put some pressure on himself.

I like the guy and would be happy if he stayed. And im intrigued to see what players he can find from around Europe. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Husky said:

Can't agree with that. We got 96 points mate. Enough for promotion every single year since 2000 which is as far back as i could be bothered to check and good enough for the title in about 80% of those seasons. 

As long as we avoid relegation then this season will represent upward trajectory on last season and the season before that. It is an industry based on results and league position and if we finish where we are then we've done ok given where we've come from.

My concerns are less to do with the deterioration in our form since November, which was always likely to happen, and more to do with our bizarre recruitment and endless chopping and changing and the seeming inability to overcome issues that have been our Achilles heel since way back into last season. The manager deserves the chance to overcome those issues but I'm beginning to doubt whether he is able to do it.

The fragile defence has been a problem now since early on last season. Also the 45 minute performances at home which rarely see us turn up for the first 45 minutes.

There's of course the added caveat of what goes on behind the scenes. In normal circumstances I would suggest giving him this season, the summer and next season unless in relegation trouble but with these owners we just don't know what sort of thing is going on. It isn't as simple as making a change as it is everywhere else, as we've then to go through the pot luck selection process along with the 'trust building' process that Kean, Bowyer and Mowbray have all had to undertake with trips to India.

Could we get a better manager than Mowbray? Almost certainly. But would these buffoons know where to find one who would be better at management plus handle all the other stuff, work within their bonkers system, pander to their egos and work with staff foisted upon them? Extremely unlikely.

• Like 4

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

voted he should stay. easy vote. 

right manager for the job. The aim this season for me with mid table finish and that will be achieve IMO. Don't get the complete OTT reaction we get on here. Do people really think we would get top 6 this season? really?

I'd have liked to challenge after completing deals worth around 12 million in fees this season yes, yet we have nothing to show for it. The 2/3 more windows mantra means we'd be looking at needing around 50 million to be promoted at that rate.

1 minute ago, Mellor Rover said:

Can't agree with that. We got 96 points mate. Enough for promotion every single year since 2000 which is as far back as i could be bothered to check and good enough for the title in about 80% of those seasons. 

Only one team in the last 40 years has got 96 points or more and not won the league and that was I think Middlesbrough back in the 80s. Last 2 seasons we've been victims of needing well above average points to reach our target (52 needed to survive). Just hope this season isn't the same.

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

Only one team in the last 40 years has got 96 points or more and not won the league and that was I think Middlesbrough back in the 80s. Last 2 seasons we've been victims of needing well above average points to reach our target (52 needed to survive). Just hope this season isn't the same.

100% agree. Although saying getting 96 points and not winning the title is different from needing 96 TO win the title ;)

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

voted he should stay. easy vote. 

right manager for the job. The aim this season for me with mid table finish and that will be achieve IMO. Don't get the complete OTT reaction we get on here. Do people really think we would get top 6 this season? really?

No, and I don't think we will get it next season either with him.

I'm somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd options.

If it were up to me, I'd have a chat with Tony and ask him, "Do you intend to extensively strengthen our defence this summer?". If the answer was no or he showed some hesitancy about that, I'd part ways but let him see it out until or maybe just before the end of the season whilst lining someone else up.

The problem isn't so much our league position or even the 4 straight defeats. These things can happen. The problem is the string of bizarre decisions (many of them repeating over and over), an inability to learn, complacency and an apparent lack of ambition.

• Like 7