BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

4 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

In fairness, what exactly do you want us to do? They aren’t breaking any rules, they just have a different opinion. Just like those that defend every little thing he does and can’t accept criticism.

If a manager has a 96% backing on one forum from however many votes, as JB said, surely that indicates a majority of support?

Acknowledge that some say it and that's fine. This thing of saying nobody is saying he should be sacked when people clearly are is odd. 

I'm not sure if you can say it's 96% support him as "reassess in the summer" is pretty open ended, and that is fine too! 

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Acknowledge that some say it and that's fine. This thing of saying nobody is saying he should be sacked when people clearly are is odd. 

I'm not sure if you can say it's 96% support him as "reassess in the summer" is pretty open ended, and that is fine too! 

So we either have to back him or want him out? Why does it have to be so black and white?

I am concerned with the lack of activity in January, our lack of adequately addressing key areas even back in the summer, our current form, constant round pegs in square holes and how some players are or aren't being ultilised (Brereton on the wing, Rothwell barely getting a kick, Nyambe being pushed out to accommodate Bennett). 

Despite that I feel TM deserves a chance to rectify this as he has a lot of credit in the bank. So for now I am happy to have him stay at the helm. Should things not improve and our summer business is poor again however, my opinion might change. 

• Like 1

Just now, JacknOry said:

So we either have to back him or want him out? Why does it have to be so black and white?

I am concerned with the lack of activity in January, our lack of adequately addressing key areas even back in the summer, our current form, constant round pegs in square holes and how some players are or aren't being ultilised (Brereton on the wing, Rothwell barely getting a kick, Nyambe being pushed out to accommodate Bennett). 

Despite that I feel TM deserves a chance to rectify this as he has a lot of credit in the bank. So for now I am happy to have him stay at the helm. Should things not improve and our summer business is poor again however, my opinion might change. 

No, obviously it isn't black and white, where did I saw that it was? I have doubts currently as well. The reality is that he will be here until next season one way or another anyway. I'm happy enough with that and would echo your final paragraph. 

I always said that after the desperately needed and desperately hard to ignite campaign to get Kean out, Rovers fans would go to the opposite extreme and get trigger happy about firing bosses.

Sure I am not happy with the last four games just as I was happy about the four before. 

The idea of firing Mowbray now is just bonkers.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
26 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Absolutely some say it, I mean it’s there in black and white and above in the poll for starters and also in other posts.

Conversely, for example posters saying ‘OTT reaction as usual’ and exaggerating what is literally a tiny minority calling for his head, with most of the other comments highlighting issues that creep up time and time again is frustrating.

Ironic really when those people claim there is an OTT reaction to defeats when their reaction to said posts is exactly that...

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

I've voted Mowbray out but if he is here next season (and I fear he will be) then he needs to do 3 very important things to make sure that we are more Sheffield United than Millwall next season. The first is bring in a head of recruitment who has knowledge of not only British Leagues but also of European ones, Mowbray signings all seem to come from a very limited field, he's admitted that we have no knowledge of European Markets and the money he has spent has on the whole not been spent very well. Also we need to bring in a fitness coach to get this team fit for 90 minutes a game and for a 46 games season, we are so far behind a lot of other teams in terms of fitness that it is embarrassing. The final thing that is needed is a coach to come in to work with the defence and get it organised, as the manager has shown that he is unable to do this.

Three very fair suggestions and ones you would hope they’d at least be exploring. The problem I foresee is the ‘jobs for the lads’ mentality that seems to emanate from the top down. We’re also far too pally and nice on the field - again as a consequence of this. No real leadership, no one handing out rollockings when needed. It also surprisingly irked me seeing Williams just casually walking down the tunnel after being sent off - show some effing frustration. 

Aside from the recruitment aspect (supposedly we’re on this now - I’ll wait with bated breath as we’ll probably just see more former Boro, WBA or Cov players come in) - the other two you mention are problems that TM and co won’t even seemingly acknowledge let alone rectify which is hugely worrying.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

We signed 7 players last summer and spent a sizeable sum in the process. Yet it hasn't really improved competition as the team is still very heavily reliant on the players that were here last season. We need players who are going to improve the first team and going to be played in their best positions. Of our summer signings Rodwell, Armstrong, Brereton, Reed and Palmer have all in the main been played in a position that isn't their best one. 

4 full seasons at Stoke he finished 9th, 9th, 9th and 13th. Stoke were a lot better of with him than they have been since he left. Also you say he spent millions but you negate to say that in his last window there Stoke made a net profit. He kept Southampton up last season against the odds and was harshly sacked in my opinion. Also you obviously forget how well organised we were defensively when Hughes was here, a far cry from how we are set up now. I hope that you are not trying to compare Mowbray with Hughes as the two aren't even in the same league. 

More contradictions from you though Chaddy as a few months ago you were saying the following about Hughes.

Mowbray always said he would give last season squad a chance. He has been true to his words. Now he will change it and move out players he doesn't think will be good enough. 

I still remember Mark Hughes time as Rovers manager still now. Did a great job here. But that's was over 10 years ago

But Stoke in his last season and during his time at Southampton defensively were poor. was Stoke and Southampton right to sack him? I'm not so sure. Stoke have spend another 50/60 million pounds and gone nowhere. They had 3 managers since his time there

5 hours ago, Stuart said:

It’s absolutely impossible to have any rational conversation with some folk on here.

Mowbray got us promoted from L1. With the biggest budget in the division. The only real test of Mowbray’s ambition was in the last two games.

The next test of his ambition has been when we were 3 points off the play-offs with the January window open.

He has recruited very badly but has used the loan market with some success. Sadly the ‘big one’ he got wrong.

His tactics and substitutions leave a lot to be desired but that is just how he is. He believes in giving the players the responsibility but he will also blame them when it goes wrong. It’s one way of doing it. When it goes well, ot looks like great team spirit. When it goes badly they can look like strangers.

We’ve had two very bad spells, preceded by back to back humblings against local rivals. There has been no pride about is this season. Except maybe the second half 10 men who finally showed up on Sunday.

As fans we’d have expected safety to be the target and then push on for a late attempt at a play-off spot. Or just go out and finish as high in the table as we can. Instead it seems like it’s get ourselves nearly safe and then start planning the end of season team party andbookimg your family holidays. The final third of this season could leave a very bad taste indeed.

The Summer recruitment would then need to be particularly inspiring to convince people that Mowbray hasn’t hit the comfort zone and wants promotion. (And throw in another season ticket price hike - disguised patronisingly as an early bird offer which is still £50 more than you paid last year).

It was a damned sight closer though with three points off sixth, an open transfer window and money to spend than it will be starting at zero with another three ex-PL teams involved. But of course we were keeping our powder dry - which is the same rhetoric we heard from countless managers before him, and another reason to be sceptical of Rovers having changed. The only difference the we wasted £7m on a dud.

Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield United and Leeds United spent time in league 1 and look how long it took them out of this division despite the size of the budget. 

Yes we had bad spells during the season but did you not expect us to have these. I always expect mid table finish and the reason why I predicted 14th place at the start of the season. 

next season league will have Fulham and Huddersfield who I expect both to struggle and will be down to the manager is at Fulham and Huddersfield summer recruitement. 

4 hours ago, Stuart said:

Remind me again, how long were we in League One for? It was just the one season, right? Mowbray does not help himself.

one season and that's down to Mowbray and the players. Look how long Sheff Utd, Sheff Wed and Leeds

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

@chaddyrovers @Paul Mellelieu @Lie_still_Rover you all seem to have totally missed the result of the poll, presumably as it doesnt fit your agenda of wanting to believe that everyone is baying for the managers blood.

Less than 4% have already decided that Mowbray is not the man to take us forward. Many like yourself are unreservedly behind the manager long term, many like myself are more than happy to give him more time to see if he is indeed the man to take us into a promotion push going forward, of course throwing away leads, having one of the worst defensive records in the league without an attitude of desperation to change that, and a very underwhelming transfer record will all have to change if that is to happen. Whether he is or isnt the man to change these things, one thing is for sure, I appreciative the work he has done so far, especially the promotion. Im sure even the 5 who want a change feel the same.

And chaddy, going over the major issues and faults of the team at the moment that are affecting it progressing at the moment is not "clogging up the messageboard." Nor do I believe you have acknowledged it, indeed you are very defensive whenever anyone questions why we spend so much on sub attackers yet make do with midfielders "doing a (poor) job" failing to stem the tide in defence.

Ive seen lots of criticism about this poll even on social media. All its proved is that the vast majority are patient and dont want the manager to go just yet, and that unlike some of those in defence of Mowbray, they are able to distinguish between deserved, constructive criticism and radical moves to change that. Mowbray deserves criticising recently, he has been criticised but the vast majority want him to stay.

no reason for the poll and even discussing the manager's future. 

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray always said he would give last season squad a chance. He has been true to his words. Now he will change it and move out players he doesn't think will be good enough. 

We best start offering now, there's a lot of shit to shift and I can't see a massive queue lining up to take them.

Hart

Samuel

Bennett

Gladwin

Conway

Smallwood

Williams all need moving out immediately.

Edited by Mellor Rover

I was disappointed that 

56 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

I'm glad the people who really really don't want him sacked are happy with the outcome of the poll that confirms hardly anyone else wants him sacked either. We wouldn't want you getting upset over nothing. 

Two head bangers want him sacked - so what was the point of the poll?

• Like 1

Whilst waiting for an engineer on site one day I was browsing through the Sun and found myself completely out of touch with their readership. It wasn't that I considered them stupid, beneath me or whatever - it's just that I didn't agree with what they wrote, or what topics the readership wanted to read. I did the unimaginable and stopped reading it. I didn't moan about them or call out all Sun readers, I just stopped reading it. Perhaps that lesson could be passed on to the twitterarti hyper-intelligent few as it would probably save them a lot of heartache, and headaches, moaning about how inferior other fans are for wanting to discuss topics that doesn't involve Howard Kendall, a fixture dating back to the 1950s or cats.

Cheers.

Tony needs to stop with jobs for the boys and bring in a younger coach with fresh, modern ideas that can help the team. I have very little faith in David Lowe and Mark Venus and Tony clearly is not a tactical genius. I still back him at this stage but ask me again in October. 

Edited by robbojohnno
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Whilst waiting for an engineer on site one day I was browsing through the Sun and found myself completely out of touch with their readership. It wasn't that I considered them stupid, beneath me or whatever - it's just that I didn't agree with what they wrote, or what topics the readership wanted to read. I did the unimaginable and stopped reading it. I didn't moan about them or call out all Sun readers, I just stopped reading it. Perhaps that lesson could be passed on to the twitterarti hyper-intelligent few as it would probably save them a lot of heartache, and headaches, moaning about how inferior other fans are for wanting to discuss topics that doesn't involve Howard Kendall, a fixture dating back to the 1950s or cats.

Cheers.

Ironic

21 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

I was disappointed that 

Two head bangers want him sacked - so what was the point of the poll?

Correct me if I'm wrong but the point of a poll is to gauge opinion. Now we know that less than 4% want him sacking and the majority want to review his position in the summer and 40% are happy with him.

Job done apart from a small minority who want to take some kind of moral high ground and not accept other people's opinions.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

We best start offering now, there's a lot of shit to shift and I can't see a massive queue lining up to take them.

Hart

Samuel

Bennett

Gladwin

Conway

Smallwood

Williams all need moving out immediately.

Agree on them all except for Bennett - I’d keep him as he’s a decent squad player. Not a regular starter though IMO. 

47 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

That's what he has said alright, but should he have known who would be good enough without trying them out? He has a lot of work to do now in the summer due to lack of addressing concern issues in summer and in January. I am all for giving him time, but I am concerned that a lack of pro-activity with regards who is good enough or not leaving too much to do this summer to put us in a position to compete for promotion next season. 

We need 1-2 center halves, 1 right back,1 left back, 1 winger and at least 1 striker. Of those players we need at least 3 of them to be good enough to come straight into the starting 11. Definitely 1 center half, 1 striker and 1 winger (to replace Reed) need to all be top players. If we had have signed even a good center half and striker last summer or in January, that would mean less to do next summer. 

If last summer was 3/10 with regards recruitment, then next summer needs to be 8 or even 9 out of 10. 

He has it all to do 

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

no reason for the poll and even discussing the manager's future. 

You are taking the poll as a negative thing. It is a way of getting a general consensus of whether recent criticism of him, very deserved at that, has left our fan base in support of him still or wanting him out.

The poll has been useful in proving conclusively that, contrary what some would like you to think, that (based on the sample) the fanbase is still united behind Mowbray staying as manager, with only a tiny minority suggesting otherwise. Hardly the results youd expect from a negative, pessimistic, torch burning fan base desperate for the managers blood. Many would like assurances that he can prove that he is aware of and capable of fixing the major issues currently holding the team back before committing blindly long term. A very fair and open minded stance to have.

You also consider discussing the major flaws at the moment as "clogging up the messageboard" so theres no middle ground with you. 

Theres a poll with an incredibly low percentage of our fans wanting Mowbray out. The exercise has proven that the fans are behind Mowbray. So you choose to moan about the poll in the first place.

• Like 2

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

That's what he has said alright, but should he have known who would be good enough without trying them out? He has a lot of work to do now in the summer due to lack of addressing concern issues in summer and in January. I am all for giving him time, but I am concerned that a lack of pro-activity with regards who is good enough or not leaving too much to do this summer to put us in a position to compete for promotion next season. 

We need 1-2 center halves, 1 right back,1 left back, 1 winger and at least 1 striker. Of those players we need at least 3 of them to be good enough to come straight into the starting 11. Definitely 1 center half, 1 striker and 1 winger (to replace Reed) need to all be top players. If we had have signed even a good center half and striker last summer or in January, that would mean less to do next summer. 

If last summer was 3/10 with regards recruitment, then next summer needs to be 8 or even 9 out of 10. 

He has it all to do 

Hes far too loyal to players who are useful to have around but who wont push us forward. He seems oblivious to the problems we have in defence. Smallwood and Bennett I would be happy to keep around but only if they are phased out and not regulars. Useful squad players perhaps but no more.

Id love to know how @chaddyrovers is so sure that hes going to show a ruthless side and cull those not deemed good enough. Nothing suggests that is the case so far.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Hes far too loyal to players who are useful to have around but who wont push us forward. He seems oblivious to the problems we have in defence. Smallwood and Bennett I would be happy to keep around but only if they are phased out and not regulars. Useful squad players perhaps but no more.

Id love to know how @chaddyrovers is so sure that hes going to show a ruthless side and cull those not deemed good enough. Nothing suggests that is the case so far.

The problem we've also got, beyond Mowbray deciding to become ruthless and make brave but potentially unpopular decisions, is convincing Venkys and the money men to do it. We've spent most of our efforts since promotion on dishing out improved longer term deals to most of our players. The next phase is going to be convincing them to cough up multi-millions and even bigger contracts to entice decent players to join us who will improve what we have. Given their track record they are more likely to ask Mowbray to cart on with the team he has assembled, which is much easier and cheaper than making root and branch changes.

Edited by JHRover

Recruitment is a problem and there are suggestions we appoint a Director of Recruitment. 

I think it's clear Mowbray doesn't have enough contacts and after the ludicrously expensive Brereton debacle why on earth should we trust his judgement.  Overall, I think his player trading is poor with too many Harts, Gladwins and Joe Averages.

Some suggestions in this thread Venus and Lowe should be replaced.  It was Mowbray who appointed them in their roles, and sees their day to day work, so yet again I would question his judgement.

Defensively, we had problems when Big Sam joined.  Seem to recall Sam being asked about a defensive coach and he replied something along the lines 'that's my job, I'll sort it'.  For crying out loud, Mowbray was a decent central defender yet he seems hopeless about organising our back four which I think I am correct in saying has conceded more away goals than any other team (other than Ipswich)  in the Championship with only three other teams have conceded more goals overall.

I look at our team and think:

• Are we physically and mentally fit.  IMO, nearly every team we meet seem better.  Look at how many late goals we concede.
  • Is there an identity / structure / style to our play.  I think in the main, our football has been dire over the last two years - hoof, hoof and more hoof
  • Are we getting the most out of our available players.  I think we see too many square pegs in round holes and Mowbray's favourites also being 'squeezed in'.  I can't see any consistency in selection.
  • Are we progressing as a team.  I don't think we are.  There have been some shocking performances (M'boro, Preston and Wigan come readily to mind).  All teams get beat but it is the manner of defeat that matters and, worryingly, I think we have been abysmal too many times - IMO, that first half against M'boro was as bad as the Kean / C o y l e days

Mowbray inherited a tough situation from C o y l e and to get relegated on goal difference was galling after the points we lost from winning and drawing positions due to, IMO, Mowbray's game management.

Okay, Mowbray got us back but I think it was despite him and not because of him.  We were the best resourced club in a pi$$ poor League One and at times, I think we got out of jail given the very poor quality of the opposition. 

IMO, there's no mileage in giving Mowbray another window or seeing where we are come October / November next season.  IMO, there is little evidence to suggest Mowbray can take us any further and he should be replaced.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 5