BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

• Backroom
10 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

So should the tweets not say something like "96% of Rovers fans want Mowbray as manager even though they have lost 4 games in a  row. The patient bunch" 

No, because that won't give everybody their daily dose of OUTRAGE and moral superiority. #GiveMowbrayAChance

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I can provided them but it will be later as I'm of to work shortly. 

Stats are from Rovers official site match stats in the match report

we have to agree to disagree as Bell, Conway and Armstrong should have scored. 

Look at the stats Ive provided. less than 20% of long passes against Reading and just over 20% against Hull. But around 25% against the 2 teams I provided. 

I would say we play better when we play around 20% of long passes in games looking at those stats. 

Not sure on the whoscored.com stats as how and who is compelling those stats?

A European network structure can tell time. Yes this process could be speeding up by hiring scouts based in France or Germany, etc. I think we should be looking in Austria and Belgium for players. 

Sorry Pal, but the poll was complete and utter unnesacary and I think Alan Myers is right it is insulting to Mowbray who has done good job. Wonder what people would have voted for after 4 wins on the bounce. 

The 4 wins on the bounce just papered over the cracks of our long standing weaknesses. We all know what they are because some of us have been banging on about them for a long while. I'm not bothered about what we do right, that's takes care of itself. I'm concerned about what we do wrong and at the moment we've quite a bit to be concerned about.

These need addressing rapidly or we'll soon be looking over our shoulders. I'll be a lot happier when we get to 50 points. We're not out of the wood yet when the team seems to be at the stage were you can't see where the next point will be coming from.

• Like 1

Fair play to the chadster, the proof that we are long ball merchants is hitting him in the face, so he’s doubled down,  the Donald style, and branded the stats as fake news! Just because Sky like to say ‘Mowbray likes his teams to play good football’ doesn’t mean this one does.

Though I don’t need any websites telling me that we pump the ball up to Graham at every opportunity, I use my eyes...

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Sorry Pal, but the poll was complete and utter unnesacary and I think Alan Myers is right it is insulting to Mowbray who has done good job. Wonder what people would have voted for after 4 wins on the bounce. 

Of course there would have been more positivity... but 4 losses on the bounce, on the back of a disappointing transfer window that failed to see us address some glaring defensive issues, and comments in the press that give the impression that Mowbray is struggling to see any problems where many of us have has led to people asking questions.

If we win the next 4, people will be a lot happier, but the majority recognise he can’t walk on water.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Look at the stats Ive provided. less than 20% of long passes against Reading and just over 20% against Hull. But around 25% against the 2 teams I provided. 

I would say we play better when we play around 20% of long passes in games looking at those stats. 

A European network structure can tell time. Yes this process could be speeding up by hiring scouts based in France or Germany, etc. I think we should be looking in Austria and Belgium for players. 

Well thats because you seemingly dont understand a poll. Had the poll showed plenty of fans demanding Mowbray to be sacked, you may have had a point, albeit even then it wouldnt be "insulting" as a managers job is forever vulnerable to questioning, any manager. Goes with the territory.

I am not sure who decided to make the poll, I may be wrong but did @blueboy3333 suggest it? (I may be wrong.) And he is not one of the meagre total of 6 from 162 calling for Mowbrays head. It was not done as a witchhunt, the numbers prove that but still you want to make out like it is. @Bigdoggsteel is spot on, essentially stating that the majority of fans even off the back of 4 losses are happy to see the manager remain in charge doesnt carry the same controversy and the same license to ridicule the "impatient and entitled" Rovers fanbase.

And on your last point. A managers job security changes based on results. Who'd have thought it!

Essentially, the poll is almost unanimous in backing Mowbray at the moment. So you are not even criticising people for wanting Mowbray out. You are criticising people for daring to question Mowbray at all, and whether they do want him out. (Which they almost unanimously dont)

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 8

• Moderation Lead

The reaction to this poll from some on here and on the wider internet highlights to me a point I regularly make about people reading what they want to read and not what has actually been written. 

Surely, if people are 'outraged' at the existence of this poll, then surely, their point of view is completely vindicated by the responses and what looks to be overwhelming backing of our manager? (Based on the responses alone). That's certainly how I would see it.....

When it comes to what happens on the pitch, the buck stops with the manager, even at our club. What Mowbray does isn't beyond reproach. Like any other manager, ours isn't perfect. Same as every manager at every other club on the planet. 

People are allowed to have concerns about points which have been raised many times already. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thanks for that, just taken a quick look. For the game on Sunday against Boro who have a manager renowned for playing long ball tactics we, played 22 long passes more than Middlesbrough despite them playing more passes in the game.

Realising the Boro game may have been a one off, as we had 10 men for half of it, I then checked the Bristol CIty stats and we played 21 more long passes than Bristol.

So yes off these stats and the ones Mattyblue kindly provided earlier, id say we are certainly a long ball team. Certainly not tactics Im against if used correctly, as ive earlier said the whole idea of it is to get men around DG quicker, at the moment it's something we are very poor at.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Erm, the same?

I feel like voting for him to be sacked, hung, drawn and quartered outside the Jack Walker statue, then his pieces burned and his ashes flushed down the toilet just to wind people like you up who get outraged at things they haven't even bothered to look at.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes Reading had chances but I NEVER said they didn't. 

I just focus on the attacking side unlike yourself who wish to be negative

I think Mowbray does the same, only focuses on the attacking side of things, as our defence is shit..

4 minutes ago, Butty said:

I think Mowbray does the same, only focuses on the attacking side of things, as our defence is shit..

Has me fooled if he does. We launch it 60 yards for 90 minutes.

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

Of course there would have been more positivity... but 4 losses on the bounce, on the back of a disappointing transfer window that failed to see us address some glaring defensive issues, and comments in the press that give the impression that Mowbray is struggling to see any problems where many of us have has led to people asking questions.

If we win the next 4, people will be a lot happier, but the majority recognise he can’t walk on water.

And letting a half decent back up defender go out on loan without and replacement being brought in who would have come in very handy in the last half of the season.

I understand Downing wanting to play and TM wanting to be fair but as we've seen its bitten him on the arse straight away just as predicted if he said no son we need you the lad would probably have been getting some action now after the false dawn of Rodwell/Mulgrew pairing. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Butty said:

Apart from when he gets everyone to drop deep in the hope we can hang on to a draw or a single goal lead.

... Forgetting, time after time that we have a team that can rarely defend over 90+ minutes.

7 hours ago, philipl said:

Answering a couple of points on this thread>

- do the owners want us to progress to a higher level?

we don't know given the lack of communication- we can assume so based on logical deduction but the whole of 2010-2017 defied logical deduction

- did Mowbray sign Brereton?

yes but probably within a spec which read "funds will be released for signing an English youth international level forward who won't break our wage structure."  

Think Mowbray has dropped a real clanger then.

To spend money just because it's there is indefensible.  

IMO, appalling management and judgement on Mowbray's behalf.

Edited by Mercer

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Must say that I find quite a lot of the reaction to the poll, both on here and on twitter to be quite frankly embarassing.

I think some people have mistook a poll for a petition or a witchhunt. Ultimately, the results show that our fan base isnt the blood thirsty mob some would like us to believe.

Ive seen people (even Alan Myers suggested on Twitter it was bordering on insulting to Mowbray) suggest it is unfair or disrespectful. The poll was done at a particularly emotive time, off the back of 4 losses with many of the causes being ongoing issues regularly pointed out yet neglected or unresolved by the management. If we were all as fickle and impatient as some would suggest then the poll results are doing a funny job of showing it.

No difference between the poll and a 2 year review of the manager.  I think even the most blue and white spectacled of our fan base will admit that TM doesn't seem to want (or is  able) to address our most obvious weaknesses.  He also makes some strange team/tactical decisions.

Flip side is that even the fans that think he's had long enough, would admit he has done a great job at getting the club pulling in one direction.

I think the poll highlights a general  consensus currently i.e.  there needs to be significant improvement on the pitch and squad in the next  18 months. The majority thinking that TM's weaknesses are beginning to outweigh his strengths - yet he should be given time to improve it.

If I was Waggott or Venkys, that's exactly how I'd see his two year review.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

Think Mowbray has dropped a real clanger then.

To spend money just because it's there is indefensible.  

IMO, appalling management and judgement on Mowbray's behalf.

Telling that Chaddy finds this potential truth funny.

A man seemingly lacking a sense of humour yet finds the club wasting money, when we need it the most, hilarious.

Edited by booth
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, booth said:

Telling that Chaddy finds this potential truth funny.

A man seemingly lacking a sense of humour yet finds the club wasting money, when we need it the most, hilarious.

To be honest his omnipresent laugh emoji on all of Mercer's posts is bordering on trolling. Still, stupid is as stupid does I suppose.

• Like 2

Interesting reading this. My opinion is somewhere between option 1 and 2. The "Give it another month to prove no" option is where I'm at.

So, let's do it all over again in 17 days after we fail to win either of our games at Birmingham and Rotherham and Preston have just embarrassed us in our own ground. ?

8 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Lets be clear, the stats say that we are a long ball side, no matter what Chaddy says.

The statistics just confirm what we see with our own eyes!

Backfired on Chaddy did that one.

• Like 1

• Backroom

If a long ball game is effective then I don't necessarily have a problem with it. Obviously it has been successful to some degree results wise, but our glaring inability to defend continues to cost us points. Perhaps retaining possession rather than lumping it up the pitch and generally losing it would be a better option, particularly when we're defending slender leads - which is most of the time if we're winning a match. The opposition can't score if they don't have the ball. I appreciate our players for the most part are not especially gifted technically - which I assume plays a part in our long ball strategy - but if they aren't competent enough to pass a ball between themselves and get into a shape that allows space and opportunities then there is an issue at both playing and coaching level which will get a lot worse when our few technically gifted players, such as Dack, move on. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Lets be clear, the stats say that we are a long ball side, no matter what Chaddy says.

I don't think we are a long ball team at all. Most often, we are a very good side when we are at 0 - 0. We hassle the opposition, pass effectively, close down, move quickly and hit them on the break - until we go in front.

Then we become lethargic, try to walk through the rest of a match, stop harassing the opposition, aimlessly smash the ball away from defence, struggle to string two passes together and get caught out napping multiple times in quick succession because our rhythm and winning mentality is long gone.  It is massively frustrating.

6 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I don't think we are a long ball team at all. Most often, we are a very good side when we are at 0 - 0. We hassle the opposition, pass effectively, close down, move quickly and hit them on the break - until we go in front.

Then we become lethargic, try to walk through the rest of a match, stop harassing the opposition, aimlessly smash the ball away from defence, struggle to string two passes together and get caught out napping multiple times in quick succession because our rhythm and winning mentality is long gone.  It is massively frustrating.

Agree to a point. We play a lot of long balls out from the back. We only play a shorter game when we press high up the pitch and win it there. But as a starting point it's always a diagonal hoof from the back. 

Edited by blueboy3333