BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Have to agree - there is a massive overhaul needed to get a sniff of promotion. 

Decent GK to at least compete with Raya

I'd keep Nyambe and Lennihan in - buy a new CB and LB

Midfield depends on whether Travis pushes on next year or fades - but at least 1 quality CM, possibly 2 and a winger.

1 quality centre forward. 

All need to be first team signings.

Not much to ask then.  Over to you Tony.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, stinny1 said:

unfortunately  theres not many leaders in football today. More skill and technique with the modern players

Nope, but they are all better athletes now after coming through academies with a bit better first touches and more comfortable on their wrong feet in general compared to days gone by i'd wager. I'm talking about lower down the scale not at top level where you'd expect those attributes,  technique, yes maybe,  skill ? No.

Edited by tomphil

2 minutes ago, alcd said:

In 4 transfer windows Mowbray has signed only 4 players who have really impacted the first eleven - Dack , Armstrong, Smallwood and the fading Reed. Not an impressive record that bodes ill for what is needed this summer. 

And funnily enough the only 2 we own, that are capable of hitting top 6 both cost decent fees... Perhaps there is a clue to Venkys there...

2 minutes ago, alcd said:

In 4 transfer windows Mowbray has signed only 4 players who have really impacted the first eleven - Dack , Armstrong, Smallwood and the fading Reed. Not an impressive record that bodes ill for what is needed this summer. 

I get the impression Reed is losing enthusiasm for playing out of position wide right.

Waste of a decent looking talent and even if we could afford him I guess he'd take quite some persuading his future lies here.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

You missed out the most important component - a good manager who makes the team better than the sum of its parts. Wilder is very good at that. 

Yes couldn't agree more. Indeed I'd say the right attitude, game plan and to some extent (it varies these days) round pegs in round holes also all come back to the manager as well. 

My main point was I'm not sure the whole team needs replacing as there's enough decent material (with all the above "ingredients" thrown in) for us to make a better go at it than we currently are without signing a whole new team.

• Like 1

This is my current assessment of our situation:

The Current Squad (players in natural positions only)

Goalkeepers - Raya, Leutwiler and Fisher

Fullbacks - Nyambe, Bell and Williams

Centre Backs - Lenihan, Mulgrew, Rodwell and Downing

Centre Mids - Evans, Travis, Reed, Smallwood and Davenport

Wingers - Bennett, Conway and Chapman

Number 10’s - Dack, Rothwell and Gladwin

Strikers - Graham, Armstrong, Brereton, Nuttall and Samuel

Possible contract permutations at the end of the season

Out of contract - Leutwiler, Downing, Rodwell, Conway, Gladwin and Reed (loan)

Out of those I’d only consider keeping Rodwell if the deal wasn’t crazy and try and get Reed on a permanent deal (if he’ll come?).

Surplus to requirements (in my opinion) - Williams and Samuel

Both of these are not up to the required standard for where we want to go.

Potential Squad players but could loan out to league one - Smallwood and Nuttall

Mowbray is the potential snag here as he’ll probably not want to overhaul as much as we want

However, if these things occured we’d be left with the following:

Goalkeepers - Raya and Fisher

Fullbacks - Nyambe and Bell

Centre backs - Lenihan, Mulgrew and Rodwell 

Centre Mids - Evans, Travis, Reed and Davenport

wingers - Bennett and Chapman

Number 10’s - Dack and Rothwell

Strikers - Graham, Armstrong and Brereton 

Signings 

That above list leaves us 1 GK, 2 FB’s, 1CB, 1 CM, 2 Wingers and 1 Striker short as a minimum. You could potentially even argue that we could need an extra CB. It also doesn’t take into account the fact that we may not sign Reed and Rodwell and that the ageing process is more than underway with Mulgrew and Graham. That has us looking at potentially needing 8 - 9 decent additions if the culling is as severe as I feel necessary to get us challenging higher up the league. It would then be down to Mowbray and his spectacular recruitment department to find the players, but also Venkys to provide the finances. This summer is shaping up to be one of the most vital in the clubs recent history. It could define the direction of the club for the next few years. It is imperative we get it fairly spot on. Do I think we can do it? Mowbray’s prior recruitment leaves me with my doubts and has me looking anxiously to the next campaign. I hope I’m proved wrong.

Edited by JeffRover
  • Like 1

He'll never get rid of  Samuel I think he's determined to try and justify that one for some reason, his handling of him has been as odd as his handling of Brereton at times.

I'd also not be that surprised to see Gladwin get enough games near the end of the season to trigger another year or something daft like that. Seems a good egg our Tone but does some strange stuff at times.

Just now, tomphil said:

He'll never get rid of  Samuel I think he's determined to try and justify that one for some reason, his handling of him has been as odd as his handling of Brereton at times.

I'd also not be that surprised to see Gladwin get enough games near the end of the season to trigger another year or something daft like that. Seems a good egg our Tone but does some strange stuff at times.

He’ll ending up keeping 3 or 4 hanger ons and only signing 4 or 5. I bet only 1 or 2 of those will be first team quality. Then he expects us to progress?

12 hours ago, alcd said:

Sobering thought.

I wonder what his net spend actually is ?

16 hours ago, alcd said:

Shocking but true.

The biggest red flag was Whitingham who was meant to be the first XI signing last season. Was obvious from day 1 that he wasn't up to it. We can't afford to make a mistake like that again, because it will be expensive in this league.

Bit of a harsh summary that

He also brought in Downing who played a huge part last season. 

Then you need to also look at the fact that he has improved all of those already here, but in particular Graham and Evans. 

The from the younger players, Raya, Nyambe and Nuttall have all improved as well 

2 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

Shocking but true.

The biggest red flag was Whitingham who was meant to be the first XI signing last season. Was obvious from day 1 that he wasn't up to it. We can't afford to make a mistake like that again, because it will be expensive in this league.

Several on here pre warned on that one although I think he had a different formation planned for league 1 which he pretty soon realised wasn't going to happen with the players he had. Then it was a case of just try and shoehorn him in which didn't really work either, still i'm sure Peter did ok out of it.

Where is he now by the way ?

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17457039.i-dont-want-to-point-fingers-rovers-boss-on-keeper/

"David has found form recently" 

Eh? Cost us against Brum, Bristol and against Brentford! What's he been watching? 

Makes me worry he won't be looking for anew keeper. If that isn't evidence enough then I fear what it will take to make him realise. He's liability at the moment. Hate to say it because I like the lad and would like to see him succeed here but he needs to learn and work with a better, more experienced keeper here. 

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, alcd said:

Dack undoubtedly is 'the' acquisition of Mowbray's reign.

I think Armstrong flatters to deceive - delivers in very small spurts and then disappears.  Clearly has a nice turn of pace but, IMO, very little else, least of all a football brain.

Smallwood a great League One signing but I think the lad is seriously out of his depth in Championship.

Reed is a loan signing.  Showed so much promise early doors but fading badly maybe, IMO,  as a result of Mowbray's mismanagement who has played him here, there and everywhere.  The lad is a central midfielder and where we need to see him consistently.

Throw, IMO, the expensive calamitous Brereton signing into the mix (according to Mowbray signed on the basis of a performance against us for Forest when it seems Williams and Feeney were our left hand side!) and I think it represents poor player trading.

3 hours ago, Neal said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17457039.i-dont-want-to-point-fingers-rovers-boss-on-keeper/

"David has found form recently" 

Eh? Cost us against Brum, Bristol and against Brentford! What's he been watching? 

Makes me worry he won't be looking for anew keeper. If that isn't evidence enough then I fear what it will take to make him realise. He's liability at the moment. Hate to say it because I like the lad and would like to see him succeed here but he needs to learn and work with a better, more experienced keeper here. 

Trouble is there is no completion for him and to drop him as number one would probably mean he leaves. Has for too long been the main man by default. What we need is a credible number 2 who could put some pressure on him. A fading PL light with some desire to extend their career but still good enough for Raya to think “wow, two clangers in a row and I’m going to let them in”.

He is capable of world class saves but needs a competitive edge to help him maintain concentration throughout. An older PL keeper who could give Raya something to think about as well as some mentoring. Maybe Artur Boruc (39) - who has apparently fallen out with Howe at Bournemouth, or Heurelho Gomes (38) currently second choice at Watford? Or similar. We can bring in all the young keeper we like but may as well promote Fisher from the U23s to the bench - not sure it would have the desired effect.

Think Samuel and Smallwood will still be here next season and wouldn't be too disappointed that they were. 

Samuel was ok-ish last season and after knuckling down in pre season last year deserves a bit of a chance to show what he is made of. 

Smallwood - I think people forget he was Lowe's replacement and can only be considered an upgrade in that regard. Whilst I don't think he's necessarily a starter I do think he can play a valuable role in the squad. Some games we'll need a scrapper like him, other times will want to bring on a player like him. If the rest of the team didn't lack creativity as much I doubt his limitations would be as much of a problem. Reminds me of Mokoena in some regards - a limited but useful tool to have in your tool kit. 

Many more issues to sort before these two going imo.

• Like 2