BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

On 24/02/2019 at 20:01, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Have to agree - there is a massive overhaul needed to get a sniff of promotion. 

Decent GK to at least compete with Raya

I'd keep Nyambe and Lennihan in - buy a new CB and LB

Midfield depends on whether Travis pushes on next year or fades - but at least 1 quality CM, possibly 2 and a winger.

1 quality centre forward. 

All need to be first team signings.

Not much to ask then.  Over to you Tony.

I'd say that the overhaul you mention needs to happen simply to avoid the 'second season syndrome' - some evidence that teams are working out how to play against Rovers, [ press close to neutralise Dack, break fast, play wide and throw crosses onto our back 4 ] - points gained early season have given a decent buffer against the bottom 3 slots, but the current form is a bit of a reality check and where we are now is quite honestly where I expected us to be going into the season.  Most teams have to strengthen to even maintain their position in this league, so to strengthen to an extent that allows for a sniff of promotion or even the play-offs is a very tough call.  

Personally I would worry about going into next season without at least 3 better starting defensive options than the back 4 that played against Birmingham - Mulgrew and Lenihan seem vulnerable to injury, jury very much out on Rodwell as a first choice CB, [and even if he'll want to stay should he get better offers at the end of his 12 months].  

We do need some real quality added most definitely.... However we should not be wasting resources replacing Raya, Nyambe, Lenihan or Travis THIS summer, as I have seen some mention as necessary.

Why?

They are all 'young' and on their day (which is more frequent than we give them credit), they are Championship quality players with LOTS of potential to get FAR better. Another 6-12 months in this league could be all the difference.

I think we definitely need rid of almost every player with their contract up in the summer (Rodwell?) and try offload Williams and Smallwood too.

Adding Dack, Armstrong and Graham to the 4 listed above gives us 7 spots filled. Moving Mulgrew, Bennett, Evans and Bell into rotation options, I think we need to focus THIS summer on a RW, CM, LB, CB. 

Davenport, Rothwell, Chapman, Brereton, Butterworth and others need some real game time between now and May as they will make up our squad next season. It can't just be Lewis Travis who is good enough from the U23's, can it... 

If only I had faith in TM to take this approach and not ? the likes of Conway, Smallwood, Williams, Bennett, Evans in 'pointless matches'. I'd rather lose with 3/4 younger players, then lose with those L1 has-beens.

• Like 4

• Backroom

Watching the Sheffield Derby, Hector on loan from Chelsea at Wednesday is the exact player we’ve been missing at the back.

We should be all over that in summer

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tom said:

Watching the Sheffield Derby, Hector on loan from Chelsea at Wednesday is the exact player we’ve been missing at the back.

We should be all over that in summer

Was just about to say the same, top of the list, Chelsea surely ready to sell this summer 

On 27/02/2019 at 17:33, Angry_Pirate said:

We do need some real quality added most definitely.... However we should not be wasting resources replacing Raya, Nyambe, Lenihan or Travis THIS summer, as I have seen some mention as necessary.

Why?

They are all 'young' and on their day (which is more frequent than we give them credit), they are Championship quality players with LOTS of potential to get FAR better. Another 6-12 months in this league could be all the difference.

I think we definitely need rid of almost every player with their contract up in the summer (Rodwell?) and try offload Williams and Smallwood too.

Adding Dack, Armstrong and Graham to the 4 listed above gives us 7 spots filled. Moving Mulgrew, Bennett, Evans and Bell into rotation options, I think we need to focus THIS summer on a RW, CM, LB, CB. 

Davenport, Rothwell, Chapman, Brereton, Butterworth and others need some real game time between now and May as they will make up our squad next season. It can't just be Lewis Travis who is good enough from the U23's, can it... 

If only I had faith in TM to take this approach and not ? the likes of Conway, Smallwood, Williams, Bennett, Evans in 'pointless matches'. I'd rather lose with 3/4 younger players, then lose with those L1 has-beens.

On the ball with those comments.

I would be happy if we spent £12 million or whatever our budget is on a centre half, experienced keeper and striker. Nothing else. Loans can buff out the rest. Those 2 positions are absolutely key. Graham is great, but if we move to a new style of play, we will need a more mobile striker. The thing is when I look at the squad below, Mowbray will have to move on a lot of players; Smallwood, Bennett, Williams.  Specifically players he really likes in Bennett and Smallwood. I look at where that would leave us then and I think "is the squad good enough for promotion under Mowbray?" They will need to be some signings. However there is a really exciting, young nucleus of a team there. 

NEW

Nyambe   Lenihan NEW  Bell

Davenport Travis

Chapman    Dack   Armstrong

NEW

Bench

Brereton

Graham

Mulgrew

Evans

Raya

Rothwell

Butterworth

Rodwell

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

9 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

What gave that away apart from the article practically saying it ?

Ah, it's harmless really and if we somehow manage to attract a tiny percentage of the Indian market, we will be doing very well. 

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

On the ball with those comments.

I would be happy if we spent £12 million or whatever our budget is on a centre half, experienced keeper and striker. Nothing else. Loans can buff out the rest. Those 2 positions are absolutely key. Graham is great, but if we move to a new style of play, we will need a more mobile striker. The thing is when I look at the squad below, Mowbray will have to move on a lot of players; Smallwood, Bennett, Williams.  Specifically players he really likes in Bennett and Smallwood. I look at where that would leave us then and I think "is the squad good enough for promotion under Mowbray?" They will need to be some signings. However there is a really exciting, young nucleus of a team there. 

NEW

Nyambe   Lenihan NEW  Bell

Davenport Travis

Chapman    Dack   Armstrong

NEW

Bench

Brereton

Graham

Mulgrew

Evans

Raya

Rothwell

Butterworth

Rodwell

Bell needs replacing too, the lad has the occasional burst forward but his defending is sunday league standard.. New left back essential this summer.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

What gave that away apart from the article practically saying it ?

Ah, it's harmless really and if we somehow manage to attract a tiny percentage of the Indian market, we will be doing very well. 

Ha, yer it's not particularly subtle.

21 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

I actually quite like this. It at least proves Bala still knows we exist and he is interested somewhat

Good point.

7 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Bell needs replacing absolutely, fine for a sub if we are chasing a game

Definitely, I don’t know how anyone can say he should be starting next season. No chance. 

• Like 3

Bell. Gladwin. Samuel etc all signed for a few hundred grand apiece and non with any real pedigree so it's no surprise they've flattered to deceive literally once or twice but the rest of the time (when fit) have been below average contributors.

Dack 750k and a bit of potential, Armstrong 1.75, useful, young, potential,  Reed quality loan with a bit of pedigree from Prem club.

It's no coincidence that when you keep rooting round in the cheapo bin whilst you might find an unopened Mars bar now and again you're more likely to come away with turnips yet when you do some research and get in something that does cost a little more but not the earth it proves why it did cost a little more...because it is better.

We need to be in Market B from above which is perfectly acceptable for a club like us IF there is some backing as if we are in Market A that type of stuff resembles the desperation of Bowyers later stage signings.

Over to the manager & scouts - not favourite agents client lists please.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Bell. Gladwin. Samuel etc all signed for a few hundred grand apiece and non with any real pedigree so it's no surprise they've flattered to deceive literally once or twice but the rest of the time (when fit) have been below average contributors.

Dack 750k and a bit of potential, Armstrong 1.75, useful, young, potential,  Reed quality loan with a bit of pedigree from Prem club.

It's no coincidence that when you keep rooting round in the cheapo bin whilst you might find an unopened Mars bar now and again you're more likely to come away with turnips yet when you do some research and get in something that does cost a little more but not the earth it proves why it did cost a little more...because it is better.

We need to be in Market B from above which is perfectly acceptable for a club like us IF there is some backing as if we are in Market A that type of stuff resembles the desperation of Bowyers later stage signings.

Over to the manager & scouts - not favourite agents client lists please.

Market b doesn’t have to mean we are shopping at Harrods though, there is plenty of talent in lower leagues and abroad that could easily enhance us. Very shocked we didn’t raid the league 1 market last year after being in the league. Was some very good players there that have since gone on to be a success, we missed a trick there I reckon. All about doing the legwork now and identifying where we are lacking and who will fit in here and improve us. We always seem to be slow off the mark

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

Market b doesn’t have to mean we are shopping at Harrods though, there is plenty of talent in lower leagues and abroad that could easily enhance us. Very shocked we didn’t raid the league 1 market last year after being in the league. Was some very good players there that have since gone on to be a success, we missed a trick there I reckon. All about doing the legwork now and identifying where we are lacking and who will fit in here and improve us. We always seem to be slow off the mark

Exactly, you only have to go back to Bowyer spreading a couple of million quid around not that long ago, prices haven't quadrupled for every player.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Very shocked we didn’t raid the league 1 market last year after being in the league. Was some very good players there that have since gone on to be a success, we missed a trick there I reckon. 

Possibly, but Ipswich went this route and look at them now. Everyone wanted us to sign Edwards and he's been pretty poor for them. There were calls to look at Nolan & Toto from Shrewsbury as well, and they've both proven to be well below standard as well.

I'm not opposed to grabbing the odd prospect from League 1, but if you buy too many from that league you'll ultimately just end up playing there.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DE. said:

Everyone wanted us to sign Edwards and he's been pretty poor for them.

Edwards has got 5 goals league goals this season for the team that are rock bottom. In our team only Dack, Graham and Mulgrew have scored more. Infact Edwards has more League goals this season than Brereton, Armstrong, Bennett, Rothwell and Conway combined.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, DE. said:

Possibly, but Ipswich went this route and look at them now. Everyone wanted us to sign Edwards and he's been pretty poor for them. There were calls to look at Nolan & Toto from Shrewsbury as well, and they've both proven to be well below standard as well.

I'm not opposed to grabbing the odd prospect from League 1, but if you buy too many from that league you'll ultimately just end up playing there.

Funnily enough the BRFCS resident oracle endorsed Rovers signing all 3 of the players you mentioned at the end of last season. Now he uses them as a stick to beat Hurst with in order to overplay the job Lambert is doing. 

• Like 1