BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

• Moderation Lead

Assuming Mowbray ditches this 2.5 attackers nonsense and plays Armstrong and Chapman either side of Graham or a new striker, then that's not a bad forward line at all, really. 

There's certainly a lot that we need. In fact, I'd argue there's more we need to buy than we need to keep IMO.

11 hours ago, 47er said:

Both Ipswich and Bolton have better keepers than us in my opinion. Perhaps a move there after their relegation?

Unless its our relegation of course!

Bialkowski has been ridiculed all season by Ipswich fans for his mistakes.

30 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Assuming Mowbray ditches this 2.5 attackers nonsense and plays Armstrong and Chapman either side of Graham or a new striker, then that's not a bad forward line at all, really. 

There's certainly a lot that we need. In fact, I'd argue there's more we need to buy than we need to keep IMO.

That is so logical, its no wonder it was never tried! Armstrong could be a good foil for Graham. You don't have to be a big bloke to score goals as Speedie and Gallacher showed.

One of Armstrong's strength is his ability to get a quick shot away under pressure. And its about time Graham had someone to knock the ball down to!

And Chapman to supply the crosses.

I'd love to see that tried, sick of players like Armstrong not able to give of their best because they are in the wrong position. I'm sick of seeing players on the bench or not even making the bench when their supposed betters are allowed to fail over and over again.

We are all (?) agreed the summer transfer has to be a big one if we are to avoid a relegation battle next season. I suspect the number of players needed would terrify Venkys but if we played players in their best positions and put some youngsters in as well, that would negate the need for mass transfers.

Something fundamental has to change unless we are to go backwards again.

I can't believe we are still having the discussion of needing to fill our defence out. Save the 1 season with Hanley & Duffy have we had a proper back 4 since these lot came in and fired our impressively experienced Premier league defence? Even with them two we still leaked goals

No manager has ever really addressed this problem. It's been going on for roughly 8 years now. Under Bowyer we would have probably been promoted had we been able to keep a clean sheet. It must be a monumentally difficult task to put together a decent defence because we've seen a few managers come and go now and yet here we are, still discussing how weak we are at the back. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I can't believe we are still having the discussion of needing to fill our defence out. Save the 1 season with Hanley & Duffy have we had a proper back 4 since these lot came in and fired our impressively experienced Premier league defence? Even with them two we still leaked goals

No manager has ever really addressed this problem. It's been going on for roughly 8 years now. Under Bowyer we would have probably been promoted had we been able to keep a clean sheet. It must be a monumentally difficult task to put together a decent defence because we've seen a few managers come and go now and yet here we are, still discussing how weak we are at the back. 

Crazy isn't it, we're miles away from when we had Duffy, Hanley, Kilgallon and Baptiste as our 4 CB options.

1 hour ago, Mellor Rover said:

Crazy isn't it, we're miles away from when we had Duffy, Hanley, Kilgallon and Baptiste as our 4 CB options.

Hanley is kicking about on the bench and that Bauer is better than anything we have now, they would make a good partnership in the middle. Go get em Tony. Grant still comes home regularly 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Just seen a  (10th March) tweet from https://twitter.com/jimwilkz  AKA @meadows AKA BlueEyedBoy that Davenport was 100% not a Mowbray signing. 

Bit of a worry if true with such a huge summer coming up.

If only we had a forum/body of some kind that could ask the club things like this.:rolleyes:

We are still somewhat an agents vehicle that kind of stuff doesn't disappear overnight. Mowbray is perfect foil for it, nice guy, ok manager, gets a good deal so won't rock the boat and can come out with allsorts at the drop of a mike in front of him as to why we aren't signing anymore decent players when we should.

The cosy days are back at Ewood under the stability guise, just wait till the sales start again.........

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, tomphil said:

We are still somewhat an agents vehicle that kind of stuff doesn't disappear overnight. Mowbray is perfect foil for it, nice guy, ok manager, gets a good deal so won't rock the boat and can come out with allsorts at the drop of a mike in front of him as to why we aren't signing anymore decent players when we should.

The cosy days are back at Ewood under the stability guise, just wait till the sales start again.........

You are a very cynical young man ? but that doesn't mean you are wrong! 

5 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Just seen a  (10th March) tweet from https://twitter.com/jimwilkz  AKA @meadows AKA BlueEyedBoy that Davenport was 100% not a Mowbray signing. 

Bit of a worry if true with such a huge summer coming up.

If only we had a forum/body of some kind that could ask the club things like this.:rolleyes:

Seems somewhat convenient that a player who has coincidentally missed the entire season through injury is now being touted as not a TM signing.

Same sort of thing ihas been mooted about BB even though TM himself has said exactly the opposite. Seems as though there is an agenda from some quarters to blame the owners for any signngs that have been flops.

• Like 1

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Seems somewhat convenient that a player who has coincidentally missed the entire season through injury is now being touted as not a TM signing.

Same sort of thing ihas been mooted about BB even though TM himself has said exactly the opposite. Seems as though there is an agenda from some quarters to blame the owners for any signngs that have been flops.

I refer to my response to @tomphil above? the same applies...

21 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Look where the initial idea comes from. I hardly think you can accuse that poster/blogger/tweeter of having that particular agenda! He’s never slow to criticise any anti-Venky talk. 

I’ve heard similar talk about Davenport. I see Jim voicing the same thing as pretty strong corroberation. I’ll be the first to admit I view Venky’s with absolute suspicion and believe the worst of them readily. He doesn’t.

Personally I think not being suspicious of Venky’s is at best extremely naive. It would only take a couple of minutes to identify dozens of suspect transfers that have been made over the last 8 years that benefitted certain individuals rather than the team.

I suppose it comes down to this with Brereton... if you believe that Mowbray was given 7 million to do with as he pleased, and instead of addressing a threadbare and below par back line, he spunked 7 million on a player he doesn’t rate enough to play in his natural position, if at all, then surely he deserves all the criticism he is currently getting and some.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Maybe he didn't sign Whittingham and Gladwin either ?

I don't think they themselves are looking to profit from this kind of thing although I still believe middlemen are like I said that doesn't go away overnight and it's a football thing it's a giant cattle market and agents and some at clubs/owning clubs are dealers getting their % whilst debt or money from elsewhere pays for it all.

I reckon they've gone down the speculate to accumulate route to pay on going costs and help the club wash its face in the long run and it isn't a bad thing to do but as always it's how you do it and who does it for you. But they aren't football team decisions the first team must prosper then everything else falls into place and that's something they never seem to get to grips with.

I also still believe we are just an easy target for friendly agents plonking their players in here and giving owners and manger their lists to pick from. No wonder TM has tried to play it safe and go for players he's known previously his other options might have been a bit limited if this is the case.

It would be so nice if they could just ok a bit of investment directly into the first team and let the manager & co think outside the box a bit.

Edited by tomphil

18 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

We're a million miles off being a good team imo. It's easier to  see if there's anyone good enough going forward.

Raya (maybe) Nyambe, Lenihan (maybe) Travis, Chapman (maybe) Dack (if his head's in the right place). 

Arguably we need a LB, 2 x CB, one top class central midfield player, another decent wide player and at least one main striker to replace Graham if not two proven strikers at Championship level.

Absolutely massive rebuilding job required.

All depends on whether youngsters come good - would argue that one of Travis, Davenport or Rothwell could meet midfield requirement. Wide player - Chapman - centre forward Brereton (seems unlikely at moment). For me the big issue is defence and possibly another decent forward.

• Moderation Lead

It’s tough for youngsters to come good when they don’t get picked....

Chapman needs to be getting near the starting XI now surely! 

Edited by K-Hod

14 hours ago, K-Hod said:

It’s tough for youngsters to come good when they don’t get picked....

Chapman needs to be getting near the starting XI now surely! 

Needs to get near the bench first. To be honest Id want to make sure his hamstrings are 100% healed and strong before putting him in the starting 11. U21s isnt the same intensity. Were pretty much safe and no chance of the play-offs so no point rushing him. I agree he should at least be making some cameos of the bench however. Same with Brereton.

Id be interested to see Butterworth and Rankin Costello given game time. Sounds like theyve been excellend for U21s lately. 

Edited by benhben
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, benhben said:

Needs to get near the bench first. To be honest Id want to make sure his hamstrings are 100% healed and strong before putting him in the starting 11. U21s isnt the same intensity. Were pretty much safe and no chance of the play-offs so no point rushing him. I agree he should at least be making some cameos of the bench however. Same with Brereton.

Id be interested to see Butterworth and Rankin Costello given game time. Sounds like theyve been excellend for U21s lately. 

Chapman was superb for the U23's on Monday, looked fit, very quick and scored a cracker.

• Like 1

In an ideal world, the XI would be:

*((NEW GK))

Nyambe - **Bauer - Lenihan - ((NEW LB))

Chapman - Reed - Travis - Armstrong/Rothwell

Dack

Graham

* Would keep Raya but he needs competition
** or the equivalent

Too gung-ho for our Tony?

Is Patrick Bauer such a good player that we will be getting competiton from bigger clubs for his signature? (I am guessing that we will go for him since we we're looking at him in both past windows) He is a free agent in the summer, right?

Edited by Swanson

9 hours ago, rigger said:

Chapman was superb for the U23's on Monday, looked fit, very quick and scored a cracker.

The weight is dropping off him. He looks much fitter. The lad will get a cracking reception - Rovers fans will get behind anyone who give their all.

9 hours ago, Amo said:

In an ideal world, the XI would be:

*((NEW GK))

Nyambe - **Bauer - Lenihan - ((NEW LB))

Chapman - Reed - Travis - Armstrong/Rothwell

Dack

Graham

* Would keep Raya but he needs competition
** or the equivalent

Too gung-ho for our Tony?

Looks good but we need more height in that central midfield.