Summer Transfer Window 2019

6 hours ago, RV Blue said:

Team next season should look something like this if we want promotion;

Raya/New

New Lenihan New New

Travis New     

Arma       Dack     Rothwell

Graham/New

Potentially 6 new starters, an almost impossible ask. 

Are there that many players in football with the surname 'New' though? Are they all good enough? It really is an almost impossible ask.

7 hours ago, RV Blue said:

Raya/New

New Lenihan New New

Travis New     

Graham/New

Chapman over Armstrong for me. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mercer said:

I think we need a minimum of six new players.  Six additions who can go straight in and make an impact.

A goalkeeper, centre back, left back, winger with real pace, central midfielder and a striker.

I don't think Mowbray can pull that off.  His player trading suggests to me he neither has an eye for a player nor the contacts.

Huge question mark over Dack.  Does he really want to be here?  Other than the Derby game, IMO, his performances in recent times suggest he doesn't.  The problem is his value will have collapsed like a pack of cards.  Can't see any club coughing up much more than £5m.  Venky's and Mowbray might want £15million to £20million but that boat sailed a long time ago.  Good clubs and operators know when to sell - Bob Lord at Burnley was a master at it.

GK - Fielding

CB - Guy from Charlton

LB - ?

Winger - Chapman

Midfield - Davenport

Striker - Brereton

You could argue about Brereton - but I think the last couple of matches show it as much about style of play - and ideally would like to see a strong, pacy centre forward as well

Davenport was supposed to be very good last time in the Championship - and would fit in the new supposed style of play.

• Backroom

I’d forget about Arma being a wing option and play him up front. That’d give us 3 options up top (Graham, Arma, Brereton) with different attributes and 3 pairings with different attributes. Need to look at bringing in a brute to challenge Graham or phase him out.

Need a brute at the back too, a experienced keeper to challenge and educate Raya, and another good winger to replace Conway.

Other stuff too, but they’d be my priorities.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I'd get that Hiwula from Coventry.  Looks a player.

Probably on loan from a larger team

He isn't on loan and was at city. He scored 5 against our u21s and is the best player I have seen ever at that level (as a one off match)

I thought he would go on to big things but has been floating round league one for quite a few seasons now. Don't know what happened

5 hours ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

GK - Fielding

CB - Guy from Charlton

LB - ?

Winger - Chapman

Midfield - Davenport

Striker - Brereton

You could argue about Brereton - but I think the last couple of matches show it as much about style of play - and ideally would like to see a strong, pacy centre forward as well

Davenport was supposed to be very good last time in the Championship - and would fit in the new supposed style of play.

You are a very optimistic man! We need more and bigger change than that! 

18 hours ago, RV Blue said:

Raya/New

New Lenihan New New

Travis New     

Graham/New

I agree with most apart from RB where I’ve seen enough from Nyambe to stick with him. 

I’d also give Davenport the chance to play next to Travis though they’d benefit from an experienced CM.

Basically the spine of the team plus Bell who is very poor.

3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I agree with most apart from RB where I’ve seen enough from Nyambe to stick with him. 

I’d also give Davenport the chance to play next to Travis though they’d benefit from an experienced CM.

Basically the spine of the team plus Bell who is very poor.

I’d be happy with Nyambe as a second choice, but he’s so poor offensively that he’s not good enough to be in a side challenging for the playoffs.

Just now, RV Blue said:

I’d be happy with Nyambe as a second choice, but he’s so poor offensively that he’s not good enough to be in a side challenging for the playoffs.

I don’t think it’s helped him that by hook or by crook Bennett gets a game. There’s times particularly at the start of the season where I think his alround game had improved immeasurably. He looked confident going forwards and was using his pace on the overlap. A mixture of injuries and form have knocked his confidence a bit. I personally would sit him down in the summer, tell him he’s the man and give him a run (even if it means King Bennett missing a few). I also read in a recent article that he’s doing double sessions trying to improve his offensive work. Academy player Bought in

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I don’t think it’s helped him that by hook or by crook Bennett gets a game. There’s times particularly at the start of the season where I think his alround game had improved immeasurably. He looked confident going forwards and was using his pace on the overlap. A mixture of injuries and form have knocked his confidence a bit. I personally would sit him down in the summer, tell him he’s the man and give him a run (even if it means King Bennett missing a few). I also read in a recent article that he’s doing double sessions trying to improve his offensive work. Academy player Bought in

The problem is, can you see Mowbray ever losing the blinkers he has towards Bennett and not have him as the first name on the team sheet?

18 hours ago, Swanson said:

According to The Sun, Rodwell is wanted by Torino and Sassuolo.

Torino are currently fifth in the Serie A, two points off a Champions League qualification with two games left. Why would they be interested in a sick note utility player from the Championship? Smells like an agent bigging him up before new contract negotiations. 

• Like 1

Just now, Commondore said:

Torino are currently fifth in the Serie A, two points off a Champions League qualification with two games left. Why would they be interested in a sick note utility player from the Championship? Smells like an agent bigging him up before new contract negotiations. 

Most likely...

So Mowbray apparently jetted off to Berlin after the Norwich game? Union Berlin played against HSV yesterday.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Madon said:

Not sure if it's common knowledge as I've not read through this thread, but Mowbray was at the AZ Alkmaar vs Heracles game on Tues 23rd.

Nice one. My guess he was there to see Petersen or the goal keepers. I hope he wasn't watching Guus Till because we'd have no chance of that one happening. 

Edited by Neal

18 minutes ago, Swanson said:

Would love to give a thanks symbol but I can’t so thank you ? 

• Like 2

Picking up 2 or 3 performers from the Dutch league could be a shrewd move.

It’s a league that’s started to improve again over the last couple of seasons, containing some real young talent. Most importantly for us, a lot of the better players outside of Ajax/PSV are on wages that are tiny compared to the average championship wage.

Besides, I’d much rather take a calculated gamble on player from over there with a decent season/stats behind him, rather than paying the same/more of a wage on your Whittingham’s, Gladwin’s, Deulfouneso’s, Spearing’s and so on..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Madon said:

Not sure if it's common knowledge as I've not read through this thread, but Mowbray was at the AZ Alkmaar vs Heracles game on Tues 23rd.

Adam Maher at AZ out of contract this summer. Could be who he was watching?

There’s clearly two paths for the upcoming window. 

Path 1: TM nips to Pune and they tell him to go mental. We see foreign players and big money signings.

Path 2: TM nips to Pune and Venky’s aren’t feeling the cash splash. We see some nifty business again.

So... on the note of Path 2, here’s some domestic players out of contract this summer. 

Tommie Hoban - CB (Watford) - FREE

Patrick Bauer - CB (Charlton) - FREE

Josh Vela - CM (Bolton) - FREE

Nick Powell - CAM (Wigan) - FREE

Martin Olson - LB (SWANSEA) - FREE

Marcus Maddison - CAM (Peterborough) - FREE

Frank Fielding - GK - (Bristol City) - FREE

Just now, JoeHarvey said:

Path 1: TM nips to Pune and they tell him to go mental. We see foreign players and big money signings.

Path 2: TM nips to Pune and Venky’s aren’t feeling the cash splash. We see some nifty business again.

So... on the note of Path 2, here’s some domestic players out of contract this summer. 

Anyone know much about this guy? Not heard of him before.

• Like 2

Just now, JoeHarvey said:

Eugh, that list doesn't excite me at all. It doesn't scream "promotion challenge". I would take Bauer and that's it. The others would be on pretty hefty wages and/or have bad injury records, Tommie Hoban makes Chapman look positively robust!  

Hopefully it's path 1 all the way, but who knows with our great leaders. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel