SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

5 hours ago, JoeHarvey said:

Patrick Bauer - CB (Charlton) - FREE

Nick Powell - CAM (Wigan) - FREE

Martin Olson - LB (SWANSEA) - FREE

Marcus Maddison - CAM (Peterborough) - FREE

If this was Football Manager you would definitely be looking into contracts for those 4 in a heartbeat. Bauer, Olsson and Maddison would be an instant upgrade on that position and Nick Powell would be a smart business decision and excellent depth player.

Raya

Nyambe - Lenihan - Bauer - Olsson

Travis - New CM

Maddison - Dack - Rothwell

Graham

Subs/Squad: GK, Bell, Mulgrew, Williams, Bennett, Evans, Davenport, Armstrong, Chapman, Powell, Brereton and youth players.

That's a Championship strong 21-25 built for "free" and allows real money to be spent on the quality cm partner for Travis, backup/challenging GK and then maybe any other positions of need/desire such as a real Graham replacement.

Ps. For what it's worth I have heard from excellent sources that we have already offered Smallwood out to clubs, mainly L1, for a couple hundred thousand.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Ps. For what it's worth I have heard from excellent sources that we have already offered Smallwood out to clubs, mainly L1, for a couple hundred thousand.

Music to my ears, Bennett can join him in the blue cross sale as far as I'm concerned. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

I have to say this is probably for the best. Smallwood would be a steal for any League One side for a few hundered thousand. He's great at that level, and I could see him heading back to Rotherham potentially too. He'll always be the proverbial King of Ewood for me, but is now leagues below what we have available at the club.

• Moderation Lead
45 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Such a shame Mercer isn’t allowed to have an opinion without being jumped on by the usual suspects.

I can see where he is coming from. Dack is a superb League One player But is he a superb Championship one, let alone PL standard? Probably not, and he has the kind of social life that would be an instant turn off to most top managers.

Joe Lolley hasn’t cost anyone a million yet. 10 goals, 11 assists. (3 and 3 in 16 games last season).

Will Vaulkes at Rotherham has 7 goals and 7 assists. £5m? Nope, valued at less than £1m.

Alan Browne (11 and 4) £5m? You’d be laughed at.

In the PL era, £5m isn’t big bucks but you need a PL club to come in for them. I don’t imagine they are climbing over each other for Dack. Championship clubs aren’t spending big money. There is better value than Dack around if the asking price is north of £5m.

On his day, he can be amazing. He’s had about two of his days this season. Aside from that he has been in the right place at the right time on many occasions. Such a frustrating player when you think how good he could be.

He’s more than welcome to an opinion, but when WBA were on about offering triple that in January, are you surprised anyone wouldn’t be keen to let him go for much less than almost four months ago?

I would probably be in the same camp where the above is concerned as ‘the usual suspects’, but Keyzer Soze, I ain’t....

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Joe Lolley hasn’t cost anyone a million yet. 10 goals, 11 assists. (3 and 3 in 16 games last season).

As a side note, I think Lolley would easily sell for £10-15m in this market, and Alan Browne could easily fetch £5m. It's the way the market is now. Even just three or four years ago, Dack would never have been touted at £15-20m, but in this current market, where young English players such as Ben Brereton cost £7m... it's perfectly normal.

44 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Such a shame Mercer isn’t allowed to have an opinion without being jumped on by the usual suspects.

I can see where he is coming from. Dack is a superb League One player But is he a superb Championship one, let alone PL standard? Probably not, and he has the kind of social life that would be an instant turn off to most top managers.

Will Vaulkes at Rotherham has 7 goals and 7 assists. £5m? Nope, valued at less than £1m.

In the PL era, £5m isn’t big bucks but you need a PL club to come in for them. I don’t imagine they are climbing over each other for Dack. Championship clubs aren’t spending big money. There is better value than Dack around if the asking price is north of £5m.

On his day, he can be amazing. He’s had about two of his days this season. Aside from that he has been in the right place at the right time on many occasions. Such a frustrating player when you think how good he could be.

How is he not allowed an opinion? Just as hes allowed to give it, people are allowed to disagree with it and give their own opinions.

I've no idea where youve got them valuations from, of course they are subjective but you really think you could get Vaulks for less than a million? I'd love Vaulks next to Travis in our midfield but theres not a chance youd get him for less than a million, indeed recent international honours will have caused his valuation to swell furthers. Lolley and Browne are 2 very good players at this level, again youve massively exaggerated how low their values are, and they are at teams performing better than ours, but both have inferior numbers to Dack.

Im not doubting that Dacks form in the last 2 or 3 months has been disappointing, but in his first season in the division his numbers stack up against everyone elses, I understand that hes a talent that we can demand for but lets not massively underestimate his worth, or even suggest that his social life has caused his value to fall off a cliff. In our team with 3 of our midfield chosen solely on defensive "ability" up until very recently, with our direct tactics not suiting him either, you cant argue with the numbers even if you are fair in expecting more in general.

You say he "has been in the right place at the right time on many occasions" as if its an underwhelming and easy thing to do, its the most important thing expected of an attacker and its a canny skill.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

He’s more than welcome to an opinion, but when WBA were on about offering triple that in January, are you surprised anyone wouldn’t be keen to let him go for much less than almost four months ago?

I would probably be in the same camp where the above is concerned as ‘the usual suspects’, but Keyzer Soze, I ain’t....

People are more than welcome to disagree or certainly not be keen but as always people play the man and not the ball.

You may be in the same camp, K, but your tent is very much in its own plot. Wish there were more like you.

Just now, JoeHarvey said:

As a side note, I think Lolley would easily sell for £10-15m in this market, and Alan Browne could easily fetch £5m. It's the way the market is now. Even just three or four years ago, Dack would never have been touted at £15-20m, but in this current market, where young English players such as Ben Brereton cost £7m... it's perfectly normal.

Nothing normal about the BB signing but you make a good point. Let’s see who goes for what.

Some folk on here wouldn’t even sell Dack for £15m. Mercer is just taking a view from the right end of the telescope. Minus the blue-and-white filter.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

How is he not allowed an opinion? Just as hes allowed to give it, people are allowed to disagree with it and give their own opinions.

I've no idea where youve got them valuations from, of course they are subjective but you really think you could get Vaulks for less than a million? I'd love Vaulks next to Travis in our midfield but theres not a chance youd get him for less than a million, indeed recent international honours will have caused his valuation to swell furthers. Lolley and Browne are 2 very good players at this level, again youve massively exaggerated how low their values are, and they are at teams performing better than ours, but both have inferior numbers to Dack.

Im not doubting that Dacks form in the last 2 or 3 months has been disappointing, but in his first season in the division his numbers stack up against everyone elses, I understand that hes a talent that we can demand for but lets not massively underestimate his worth, or even suggest that his social life has caused his value to fall off a cliff. In our team with 3 of our midfield chosen solely on defensive "ability" up until very recently, with our direct tactics not suiting him either, you cant argue with the numbers even if you are fair in expecting more in general.

You say he "has been in the right place at the right time on many occasions" as if its an underwhelming and easy thing to do, its the most important thing expected of an attacker and its a canny skill.

You didn’t read what I posted. I’ve not valued them, I said none of those players have gone for that kind of money. Let’s see if any of them sell for those kinds of figures and who sells for the most.

They will certainly need to go to a PL club. Do you think any PL clubs will come in for Dack? I don’t.

7 hours ago, JoeHarvey said:

Adam Maher at AZ out of contract this summer. Could be who he was watching?

He was very highly rated a Few years back , wonder what happened 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

I agree that on his day he’s class but I do also think he has too many “invisible” games also.. However, Dacks profile is a lot higher than Vaulks Lolley and Browne. I honestly believe we’d get 10-15 million for him, I don’t think he’s ready for the prem yet but I don’t think it’s out of the realms of possibility that a prem club would come in for him.. Saying that though, the chicken farmers sold Cairney for 3 million so who knows if they’ll be planning on taking 5 million and selling our main man for a quick buck.. 

1 minute ago, AJW said:

He was very highly rated a Few years back , wonder what happened 

Maher signed for £8m a number of years back, a quick YouTube glance shows he has talent but he must have some issues to be available on a free this summer.

8 minutes ago, Stuart said:

You didn’t read what I posted. I’ve not valued them, I said none of those players have gone for that kind of money. Let’s see if any of them sell for those kinds of figures and who sells for the most.

They will certainly need to go to a PL club. Do you think any PL clubs will come in for Dack? I don’t.

I think that top Championship sides would pay more than 5m, and I think youve underestimated his importance and also the goal and assists tallies which will be difficult to replicate.

Just now, OnePhilT said:

It is going to take a lot of investment to get this team into serious contention for promotion next season, so I would be surprised if we weren't going to go through another season of consolidation.

But the club is operating at a huge loss, so another consolidation season wouldn't leave us in any better a position for a 2020/21 promotion push.

30 minutes ago, Stuart said:

People are more than welcome to disagree or certainly not be keen but as always people play the man and not the ball.

You may be in the same camp, K, but your tent is very much in its own plot. Wish there were more like you.

Mercer doesn't really help himself. Predicting that we'll smash every game, comparing Mowbray to Kean & Coyle, now grossly undervaluing Dack.

He's capable of talking sense but I get the feeling he's on the WUM when he posts stuff like the above.

• Like 1

Bradley Dack is the only Rover you can pick from a selection of players put forward by BBC football to pick your championship team of the season. It would appear BBC consider he has had a good enough season to be included in consideration for this

• Like 2

Just now, OnePhilT said:

I suppose all clubs have to take a gamble to get to the honey pot. I just think there is too much to do in one window if we're going to be competing for the top six. Mowbray would have to get off to one hell of an early start in this window.

Consolidation seasons in general don't make any sense to me when your club is operating at a huge loss. There's literally no point in not spending, unless you plan to never spend at all. If we don't see huge investment this year, when will we? Because by next summer we'll have lost millions more.

Dacks our most talented player by miles. In a way it's a good thing he is inconsistent - it shows there is potential there to get more from him onto of the considerable amount he has contributed this season. He's the only one in the squad who I would put money on playing in the Premier League in his career. Maybe Lenihan and Rothwell on the outside.

We need to keep him and bring him onto the next level, not trade him in.

Selling him would be crackers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

Back to the old problem of if there would be anything to spend and who would be spending it versus better the devil you know.

8 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

I suppose all clubs have to take a gamble to get to the honey pot. I just think there is too much to do in one window if we're going to be competing for the top six. Mowbray would have to get off to one hell of an early start in this window.

Is this window 3 or 4 of Mowbray's multi-window project? I remember last summer all the talk was about it needing 3-4 windows to get to where he wanted us to be, if we ignore the windows of summer 2017 and January 2018 he's now had summer 2018 and January 2019 and we are approaching summer 2019. Given the lack of activity in January and presumably similar excuses next January about it being a tough time to do business I expect to see serious inroads this summer. Does that equate to expecting a promotion push? Not necessarily but if Mowbray was honest about selling his project to the owners and them buying into it we're reaching the back end of that timeframe now. Not many managers these days get 5 transfer windows and 3 summers with almost free reign over transfers yet that's what Mowbray will have had come August. He's been in a good position really given his net spend. If we're kicking off in August still relying on players he inherited I'll be questioning what has been going on.

46 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

It is going to take a lot of investment to get this team into serious contention for promotion next season, so I would be surprised if we weren't going to go through another season of consolidation.

See I disagree. I think chucking money at it is a dangerous game in this league and you get little reward for it. Look at Dack and Rothwell, both signed for change and are better than lots of trash signed for millions. It's about the right recruitment done by the right manager, look at Farke at Norwich, Wilder at United, or Wagner at Huddersfield. All managers with a clear vision of how they want to play, recruited the appropriate players and got the best out of them. I'm hoping TM proves me wrong and turns out to be that manager but I'm not sure. 

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Dacks our most talented player by miles. 

Not in the same league as Rothwell.  No speed, cant beat a man front on, defences have sussed him, no work rate, no pace, out of shape, bad attitude......everything Rothwell isn't.

Rothwell is a product of Utd and you can tell with his ball mastery.  Different level to Deck......in my opinion if course

5 minutes ago, Neal said:

See I disagree. I think chucking money at it is a dangerous game in this league and you get little reward for it. Look at Dack and Rothwell, both signed for change and are better than lots of trash signed for millions. It's about the right recruitment done by the right manager, look at Farke at Norwich, Wilder at United, or Wagner at Huddersfield. All managers with a clear vision of how they want to play, recruited the appropriate players and got the best out of them. I'm hoping TM proves me wrong and turns out to be that manager but I'm not sure. 

Sensible sustained investment ?

Wouldn't be adverse to spending on a good striker though because we are going to need one soon.