BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

7 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

They’ve very rarely refused to release the cash. The key here is whether we can find the right talent. 

I keep watching the clip of him over and over. It’s bloody brilliant! The final part about defenders leads you to believe that some of the defender deals are already agreed. He’s so confident at that point. 

Reading between the lines, I think they’re confident of getting the funds to spend a lot of cash this summer in order to get promotion. Having accepted that if they fall short they will have to cash in on an asset or two next season to balance the books....

Bloody hell, get me my renewal price over ASAP so I can get paid up for next season!! ???

*Joking aside I really hope some people come back next season. The lads and Tony deserve it. You never know how many exciting seasons there will be.

You sound like a Venky advert!

"very rarely refused to release the cash" my arse.

• Like 1

Just now, JacknOry said:

Have to admit I watched it about 5 times too. His finger bashing on the table was a favourite part of mine. Defenders (bash), well I have no defense. New defenders are coming (bash). In no uncertain terms he has said that the're not good enough collectively at this level. 

Its completely right though, how many goals were down to individual errors from the likes of Williams, Bell, Raya and Mulgrew this season? You could argue that the way we've set up a lot has invited pressure on them too but they should be doing better. Also, how many times did we bottle it collectively in the last 15 minutes? Going from winning to losing in a matter of minutes - thats mental strength if you ask me.

Of course there’s a collective defensive responsibility and your points on mentality and coaching are bang on. Prior to January most of the goals we’d conceded later on were imo due to game management.

But SOOOO many times since we have conceded goals and lost games because of basic player mistakes. Mistakes which had nothing to do with coaching or experience.

Just now, 47er said:

You sound like a Venky advert!

"very rarely refused to release the cash" my arse.

It’s the truth. Ask anyone who’s been at the club since Venkys took over. I’m not saying they haven’t been guilty of messing things up. BUT the common theme amongst everyone Iv ever spoken to is that money is never a problem.

• Like 1

He's been in charge for over 2 years and our wonky defence has nothing to do with the manager? Pull the other one!

How about not signing a centre-back last July, repeating the error in January but compounding it by letting Downing go?

Led a charmed life has TM at Blackburn because he is so far ahead of his predecessors.

• Like 1

Just now, Paul Mani said:

It’s the truth. Ask anyone who’s been at the club since Venkys took over. I’m not saying they haven’t been guilty of messing things up. BUT the common theme amongst everyone Iv ever spoken to is that money is never a problem.

You're forgetting the sales!!!

Of course there’s a collective defensive responsibility and your points on mentality and coaching are bang on. Prior to January most of the goals we’d conceded later on were imo due to game management.

But SOOOO many times since we have conceded goals and lost games because of basic player mistakes. Mistakes which had nothing to do with coaching or experience.

Totally agree. 

Well, he's done his loyalty part - kept his end of the bargain up. I really expect some first team signings back there now, none of this to 'back up what we already have'. Direct competition for Nyambe (no more Bennett back there), a new LB as both of ours are not good enough, and a minimum of one CB (idealy two). 

Raya is a bit of a strange one as before he got that kick to the face, he looked like he was progressing but since then, not sure if connected, but the number of errors has increased. Definitely needs some direct competition.

• Like 2

• Backroom

How did Cheston end up funding the club with emergency loans a few seasons ago if money has never been a problem? He's still employed so one assumes the fault wasn't his. 

• Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

How did Cheston end up funding the club with emergency loans a few seasons ago if money has never been a problem? He's still employed so one assumes the fault wasn't his. 

I don’t know (and neither do you) why, how or even if this happened in the way you say...

What I do know from speaking to people  who have had direct experiences is that when money is asked for. It usually gets paid for. As per my initial point.

Who doesn’t sell players? ?

Yeah but so many in such a short space of time with no reinvestment coming back in.

Gestede, Rhodes, Cairney, Hanley, Duffy, Ollson, Marshall, King

Then we bought Williams for like 100k.

• Like 2

Just now, JacknOry said:

Yeah but so many in such a short space of time with no reinvestment coming back in.

Gestede, Rhodes, Cairney, Hanley, Duffy, Ollson, Marshall, King

Then we bought Williams for like 100k.

That was the same situ as we could be in next season. Gaz had invested and that squad was expensive in terms of wages etc. Once we weren’t going up they had to balance the books for ffp.

There will Be sales at the end of next season too if we don’t go up.

I admire TM's passion, quite enjoyable to watch that video but it does bring me back to his simplified way of thinking about football. We've conceded a lot of goals not just due to the defence but because of our general style of play, mananger not knowing his best 11, lack of identity, lack of intensity, game management, lack of fouls higher up the pitch and not keeping possession for crucial periods in the game. If you don't have a team or the players to retain poession, then the ball will keep coming back at you and no matter what defenders you have, it's going to be very difficult to defend against. 

Tony is a good man, I want to see good men do well in football, especially at my own club, I just hope he see's these things too. 

Edited by Neal
  • Like 4

Seen Jake cooper a number of times and I know he was quite close to joining Rangers last summer , I believe he signed a new contract this season , but this is the lad we should go for , he's still a bit raw but he's a beast the air , wins everything in both boxes , a real Shane Duffy type but without the ego/ attitude ..if we don't sign him else will and will go on to PL I have no doubt but I think £3m will not  be enough unfortunately 

Just now, AJW said:

Seen Jake cooper a number of times and I know he was quite close to joining Rangers last summer , I believe he signed a new contract this season , but this is the lad we should go for , he's still a bit raw but he's a beast the air , wins everything in both boxes , a real Shane Duffy type but without the ego/ attitude ..if we don't sign him else will and will go on to PL I have no doubt but I think £3m will not  be enough unfortunately 

That's the sort of tough as nails CB we need but think we're looking at up to 4-5 million for that one. Signed new contract in December and is not short of admirers.

Very similar to Lenihan in terms of age and experience in the Championship and League 1 and I wouldn't be happy for letting him go at 5 million. 

Edited by JacknOry

A midfield option for us could be Joe Aribo at Charlton. Around 22 years old and nearly has double figures in goals with a few assists as well. Also think he's meant to be a powerful tall player and is near the end of his contract.

7 minutes ago, AJW said:

Coops won't be leaving for less than £5m.

He's got his head screwed on and a decent guy. Would be a fantastic signing.

He's quite settled. 

He'd be setting his eyes in prem if he were to move or promotion favourites.

1 hour ago, The Hypnotic said:

Would you be happy for us to pay £4m for him? 

We don't need him so no and I don't believe mowbray could utilise him to get the best out of him but I would be happy to have him as a replacement for dack at that price and reinvest the rest should dack leave not that I'm advocating his sale

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Who doesn’t sell players? ?

What sort of pathetic attempt at an answer is that? Are you trying to argue that Venky's conduct has been normal?

And regardless of whether you believe me and those who have been in involved it’s public record that they’re (Venkys) are a few (million) quid in and continue to fund us. Regardless of if we like them or not.

Unless I’m missing something there’s no one else pumping in £1m+ a month to our ‘beloved’ club is there? 

Who said their conduct was normal? Show me? I made a single point about Venkys being prepared to SPEND money. You countered with “What about the sales?” And I replied that everyone sells players (even though we haven’t for two seasons ?)

Clueless. ??

You said "everyone sells players"!!! That suggests that Venky's conduct is normal does  it not?

If I'm clueless, at least I understand the English language.

And "yes" they continue to fund the fiasco they caused.

You continue your Venky love-in on your own, I'll leave it there.

• Like 1

Just now, OnePhilT said:

Interesting bit about Bauer. @Miller11 (sorry to name-drop!) has stated in another thread that, now that Bauer is a free agent, Mowbray has more or less said that his agent believes he should be paid £40K-£50K per week! That's obviously not even close to a starting point for a League One player, so I guess he's out of the picture for now. His agent probably knows that he could get a great wage for him from some other Championship club that are prepared to pay a bit more than we are for his services.

Maybe this is why we're extending our scouting network to Europe now. Even thought there's an added expense to doing it, if the money mentioned above is what is required to land who you want from England, then a scouting network here might work out a lot cheaper!

Wow, really? Which thread? I wouldn't even be having discussions with them until that figure dropped by half (which I also wouldn't pay him, but then we can talk!).

I'm amused by the idea his agent thinks we refused to pay 2 million for him just so that we could throw even more money than that at him in extra wages, whilst smashing our wage structure to get a centre half from League One.

If he thinks he can get anything like that, good luck to him, but although some clubs will potentially pay more than we will, I don't see anyone paying close to 40k p/w for him.

5 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

They’ve very rarely refused to release the cash. The key here is whether we can find the right talent. 

I keep watching the clip of him over and over. It’s bloody brilliant! The final part about defenders leads you to believe that some of the defender deals are already agreed. He’s so confident at that point. 

Reading between the lines, I think they’re confident of getting the funds to spend a lot of cash this summer in order to get promotion. Having accepted that if they fall short they will have to cash in on an asset or two next season to balance the books....

Bloody hell, get me my renewal price over ASAP so I can get paid up for next season!! ???

*Joking aside I really hope some people come back next season. The lads and Tony deserve it. You never know how many exciting seasons there will be.

What Mowbray has said has to be taken with a pinch of salt as all managers tend to speak well at these things, talk is cheap, but i agree it is going to be interesting. The footballs been turgid in the main to watch this season really, there have been shoots of promise lately and lets see if he can carry it on through.

Its going to be incredibly difficult to move senior players like Mulgrew, Smallwood and Bennett on because they are all on flush new deals, thats Mowbrays doing.

But the bottom line is irrelevant as to whether anyone "deserves" more supporters, ultimately if Waggott puts the prices up again it will do nothing to tempt anyone back, and it will be him that has let Mowbray and the team down, no one else. Waggotts attitude is to put the onus on the supporters who are essentially floating fans, almost as if hes removed of any responsibility and control in terms of getting fans back to support the team.