BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

I think we’ll almost certainly see some players from Europe coming in over the summer. TM has made big noises about expanding the budget to allow them to watch European games so he has to show there is some pay off from that expenditure. It’s a good idea to be looking to Europe as we can’t afford the top end players in this league so we need to find them in Europe.

Pleased to hear him slate our defensive displays this season. It has been woeful and it’s refreshing to hear him pull no punches on that. I would expect one for every position back there. 

Big season next season. My feeling is we’re going to go for it in the transfer window and then sell off the big players if we don’t make it. 

• Like 1

Just now, rovers11 said:

I think we’ll almost certainly see some players from Europe coming in over the summer. TM has made big noises about expanding the budget to allow them to watch European games so he has to show there is some pay off from that expenditure. It’s a good idea to be looking to Europe as we can’t afford the top end players in this league so we need to find them in Europe.

Pleased to hear him slate our defensive displays this season. It has been woeful and it’s refreshing to hear him pull no punches on that. I would expect one for every position back there. 

Big season next season. My feeling is we’re going to go for it in the transfer window and then sell off the big players if we don’t make it. 

The shit or bust approach isn't really the way forwards though is it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

The shit or bust approach isn't really the way forwards though is it.

Not really shit or bust though. He referenced Norwich selling Maddison and coming out of it stronger when referring to a potential Dack sale if things don't work out. 

If we get near promotion, it will surely be on the back of Dack having a good season. We would be looking at big money then. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

I'd tell Bauer and his agent to jogg on. The player will be fully aware of what his agent is asking. Judging by the players words and actions he strikes me as someone believing his own hype... You're a league 1 defender pal, you should expect to  be on the some of the lowest wages here. 

Edited by Neal
  • Like 4

Just now, Neal said:

I'd tell Bauer and his agent to jogg on. The player will be fully aware of what his agent is asking. Judging by the players words and actions he strikes me as someone believing his own hype... You're a league 1 defender pal, you should expect to  be on the some of the lowest wages here. 

Exactly, it's easy to lump this all on the agent but the player has the power to ignore him. Its been obvious we were keen on him for a season, he rejects a new contract - so if he really wanted to come here, it would have just required some sort of gentleman's agreement for when the window opens up. Agent obviously been in his ear saying I can get you this and that and the player is lapping it up. 

Needs to prove that he can even perform at this level before he can command bigger wages. Besides, sounds as if TM doesn't rate him as good enough to go straight into the team anyway - which is saying something considering those we currently have in front of him.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Not really shit or bust though. He referenced Norwich selling Maddison and coming out of it stronger when referring to a potential Dack sale if things don't work out. 

If we get near promotion, it will surely be on the back of Dack having a good season. We would be looking at big money then. 

I understand that Norwich are the flavour of the month but its impossible to replicate exactly what another team has done, first with the foreign signings he references and now selling your main player.

Realistically selling your best player to buy half a team very rarely works out as well in practice as it does in theory. Ultimately, any sale may come with no choice.

6 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Exactly, it's easy to lump this all on the agent but the player has the power to ignore him. Its been obvious we were keen on him for a season, he rejects a new contract - so if he really wanted to come here, it would have just required some sort of gentleman's agreement for when the window opens up. Agent obviously been in his ear saying I can get you this and that and the player is lapping it up. 

Needs to prove that he can even perform at this level before he can command bigger wages. Besides, sounds as if TM doesn't rate him as good enough to go straight into the team anyway - which is saying something considering those we currently have in front of him.

He isn't good enough, else he'd be in the Championship. Sounds like a prick, f*ck him. I hope Waggot laughed and ended their interest then and there. Otherwise, give him a take it or leave it offer that will only last so long before we move on. 

Edited by Neal

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I understand that Norwich are the flavour of the month but its impossible to replicate exactly what another team has done, first with the foreign signings he references and now selling your main player.

Realistically selling your best player to buy half a team very rarely works out as well in practice as it does in theory. Ultimately, any sale may come with no choice.

I did find it funny that he kept referencing Norwich 

The proof will be in the pudding as they say 

Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Source for these Bauer quotes?

After the meeting closed Mowbray chatted with a group of fans... 

Patrick Bauer was mentioned as a potential signing and Mowbray said something along the lines of “We bid for him last summer, but now he’s on a free his agent thinks he’s worth 40-50 grand a week. He’s playing in league one. We want bigger, better players to come straight into the defence”. I mentioned Jake Cooper from Millwall and Mowbray said he could be a target. He was asked about Wharton and said he is not ready for Championship football yet.

Few other points that might be on the Radio Lancs broadcast...

Mowbray spoke about the possibility of doing some part exchange deals, as well as mentioning he wouldn’t be averse to bringing in proven quality, older players on frees and big wages from PL teams who could bring a bit of quality and help younger players.

Waggott rates Rankin-Costello and Butterworth... so I’d presume Mowbray does too.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Unless Dack signs a new deal he will only have a year left on his contract at the end of next season.We won't be getting huge money for him then

Jake cooper would be excellent, although I feel like there may be other clubs ahead of us in the que (if we are even in the que). Would probabaly cost around 5 million, which is a lot but would rather us spend a chunk on one player who we know is going to do the buisnness than a mixture of players and hope one of them is up to it. 

• Like 1

High wages but has lived and played in the north west.

Gary Cahill anyone

I realise how highly unlikely this is but he did say older PL players on higher wages.

Supposedly off to fulham so would come to a championship club. 

Would be a massive sign of ambition and would help attract other players . Exactly what we need. How doable it is would be anyone's guess

Interesting to hear Mowbray acknowledged Cooper as a possibility.

Not only does he fit the bill for being the tall commanding centre back we need, he's been involved in 12 goals (6 goals, 6 assists) in this seasons Championship. None of them free kicks or penalties, just seems to be a monster in the box.

We concede more goals with Mulgrew in the side, however the one down side to leaving him out of the side is goals scored.

Cooper would go a long way towards resolving both of those aspects in one signing, on paper it seems like he'd certainly be worth the money, if doable.

• Like 6

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

High wages but has lived and played in the north west.

Gary Cahill anyone

I realise how highly unlikely this is but he did say older PL players on higher wages.

Supposedly off to fulham so would come to a championship club. 

Would be a massive sign of ambition and would help attract other players . Exactly what we need. How doable it is would be anyone's guess

Fulham have 2 years parachute money to pay him and he probably lives in west London 

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, Don Said said:

Interesting to hear Mowbray acknowledged Cooper as a possibility.

Not only does he fit the bill for being the tall commanding centre back we need, he's been involved in 12 goals (6 goals, 6 assists) in this seasons Championship. None of them free kicks or penalties, just seems to be a monster in the box.

We concede more goals with Mulgrew in the side, however the one down side to leaving him out of the side is goals scored.

Cooper would go a long way towards resolving both of those aspects in one signing, on paper it seems like he'd certainly be worth the money, if doable.

I had a look at the stats earlier and from recollection we gained very few points from the games Mulgrew scored in, so I don't think losing his goals would make much difference. I'd much rather be stronger at the back and have the midfielders chip in with more goals.

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Yeah i'd go along with that it's the right way to do it as long as they keep re-investing what they can. Burnley sold a few strikers along the way and similar to the later Trust years there's nothing wrong with selling for a huge fee every now and then as long as the team is doing ok and others are coming through.

The way that post was put though was saying they'll go for it then if it doesn't work they'll start selling again immediately to recoup their outlay and there's a difference.

Continued steady investment for me and after another couple of seasons of that as well as pruning deadwood we'll be in a strong position - as long as TMs judgement of deadwood is the same as ours obviously !

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, tomphil said:

Yeah i'd go along with that it's the right way to do it as long as they keep re-investing what they can. Burnley sold a few strikers along the way and similar to the later Trust years there's nothing wrong with selling for a huge fee every now and then as long as the team is doing ok and others are coming through.

The way that post was put though was saying they'll go for it then if it doesn't work they'll start selling again immediately to recoup their outlay and there's a difference.

Continued steady investment for me and after another couple of seasons of that as well as pruning deadwood we'll be in a strong position - as long as TMs judgement of deadwood is the same as ours obviously !

The problem we had in the Bowyer years was that we waited too long to start selling. We were already under embargo by the time it became apparent we needed to move players on. This should have been addressed MUCH earlier by whoever was meant to be responsible for that. If there even was anybody responsible. It probably fell under Bowyer's remit, as almost everything did back then. This time at least we seem to be more on the ball in terms of keeping an eye on our financial responsibilities and how signings affect the club's FFP obligations. Had we been more aware before the first embargo we might have been able to avoid it, and not been forced to sell Cairney on the cheap and do everything we could to shove Rhodes out the door. Although the latter was probably inevitable.

• Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

The problem we had in the Bowyer years was that we waited too long to start selling. We were already under embargo by the time it became apparent we needed to move players on. This should have been addressed MUCH earlier by whoever was meant to be responsible for that. If there even was anybody responsible. It probably fell under Bowyer's remit, as almost everything did back then. This time at least we seem to be more on the ball in terms of keeping an eye on our financial responsibilities and how signings affect the club's FFP obligations. Had we been more aware before the first embargo we might have been able to avoid it, and not been forced to sell Cairney on the cheap and do everything we could to shove Rhodes out the door. Although the latter was probably inevitable.

If Lowe had turned into the player GB was clearly trying to make him the sale of him for 5 million plus would've made things a bit more stomachable. What we had then was the 1 day per week shelf salesmen who told everyone FFP was coming ages before then did sod all about it but watch us blindly march right in.

Maybe he tried telling them and then gave up I don't think he gave much of a toss he only hung around to see Rhodes out the door and I wouldn't be surprised if he had a stake in that.

Edited by tomphil

Just now, DE. said:

I had a look at the stats earlier and from recollection we gained very few points from the games Mulgrew scored in, so I don't think losing his goals would make much difference. I'd much rather be stronger at the back and have the midfielders chip in with more goals.

Yeah me too. Defenders defend and attackers attack first and foremost, anything on top of that (when they're actually good at the initial role) is a bonus worth having though.

Suppose it would add the aspect of being more dangerous in the box from set pieces, something we're okay-ish but not great at. 

No idea on the stats but Millwall themselves seem to score a good percentage of goals from corners, and on the flip side Sheff U seem to score a lot from corners. They've stayed in the league and got promotion from the league by 4 or 5 points respectively, so could be worth signing a player who might give you that bit extra compared to a similar player who plays the same position.

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, tomphil said:

If Lowe had turned in the player GB was clearly trying to make him the sale of him for 5 million plus would've made things a bit more stomachable. What we had then was the 1 day per week shelf salesmen who told everyone FFP was coming ages before then did sod all about it but watch us blindly march right in.

Maybe he tried telling them and then gave up I don't think he gave much of a toss he only hung around to see Rhodes out the door and I wouldn't be surprised if he had a stake in that.

Come to think of it I'm sure I can remember Bowyer warning about an embargo coming quite far in advance of it actually happening. It's amazing that nobody at the club bothered to step in and try to fix things until it was too late. Just shows how rudderless the ship was at that time. I believe it was around that period that Suhail became more involved, getting rid of Bowyer, hiring Lambert and then by January we were out of embargo. So it was clearly something that was fixable, it's just for some reason nobody did anything about it before the summer. I believe the season after was when we had the emergency loan situation? Some very odd goings on around that time. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Have to admit I watched it about 5 times too. His finger bashing on the table was a favourite part of mine. Defenders (bash), well I have no defense. New defenders are coming (bash). In no uncertain terms he has said that the're not good enough collectively at this level. 

Its completely right though, how many goals were down to individual errors from the likes of Williams, Bell, Raya and Mulgrew this season? You could argue that the way we've set up a lot has invited pressure on them too but they should be doing better. Also, how many times did we bottle it collectively in the last 15 minutes? Going from winning to losing in a matter of minutes - thats mental strength if you ask me.

If Mowbray was a poster on here he’d be given a hammering!!

• Like 1

I liked what Mowbray said more than the next guy but I hope with all my fecking heart that the comments about selling a player to avoid an embargo are a bit of excitement rather than an actual plan. Surely no one buys as many new players as we need for enough money to push us into embargo territory with the plan of selling some if it doesn't work.

What if we buy tosh? What if they don't cut it? What if Dack breaks his leg, back or neck? Let's not be pinning our financial future on the POSSIBILITY of recouping fees on certain players.

Buy players but buy well.

• Like 1