BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Someone remind me, is George Boateng still at the club? If so, could this be where the Dutch scouting mission has originated from? Maybe Boateng has contacts that he has been able to tap up.

• Like 1

Just now, Stuart said:

Someone remind me, is George Boateng still at the club? If so, could this be where the Dutch scouting mission has originated from? Maybe Boateng has contacts that he has been able to tap up.

I had no idea George Boateng was ever at the club? What was he doing, coaching?

4 minutes ago, Stuart said:

That’s correct. He’s our under 13’s manager. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

I believe Waggott has had one eye on that deal for a very long time.

Surely there comes a point where you just wash your hands of it? Give the lad and silly bollocks agent a final offer that they can either take or swivel. If he signs it will be with a bitter taste the greedy prick. 

Edited by Neal

19 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

What Mowbray has said has to be taken with a pinch of salt as all managers tend to speak well at these things, talk is cheap, but i agree it is going to be interesting. The footballs been turgid in the main to watch this season really, there have been shoots of promise lately and lets see if he can carry it on through.

Its going to be incredibly difficult to move senior players like Mulgrew, Smallwood and Bennett on because they are all on flush new deals, thats Mowbrays doing.

But the bottom line is irrelevant as to whether anyone "deserves" more supporters, ultimately if Waggott puts the prices up again it will do nothing to tempt anyone back, and it will be him that has let Mowbray and the team down, no one else. Waggotts attitude is to put the onus on the supporters who are essentially floating fans, almost as if hes removed of any responsibility and control in terms of getting fans back to support the team.

The onus works both ways. The club have made some positive steps since appointing the manager. What V’s did to our club was horrendous but it’s clear to me that all of the rotten stench from Kean and Anderson has gone now....money isn’t the issue imo. People will find the money to pay for anything that is a priority in their lives. 

Just now, Paul Mani said:

The onus works both ways. The club have made some positive steps since appointing the manager. What V’s did to our club was horrendous but it’s clear to me that all of the rotten stench from Kean and Anderson has gone now....money isn’t the issue imo. People will find the money to pay for anything that is a priority in their lives. 

Richie Smallwood is a SEM client.

30 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Richie Smallwood is a SEM client.

Is he the only one? 

If a player we want is SEM do we avoid?

Is there links between the club, agents and players signing like it was 'alleged' before?

One player I would suggest is manageable and although not great it is not a plague that infected us previously

• Like 2

Just now, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Is he the only one? 

Is there links between the club, agents and players signing like it was 'alleged' before?

One player I would suggest is manageable and although not great it is not a plague that infected us previously

It’s a good question.

On the face of it, I think for a time, we should have, or had, a self-imposed ban on using that agency. If it was an agency that owed us money I’d suggest that we would stop using them until the debt was paid.

I’m not sure that what people associated with that particular agency cost our club will ever be repaid.

While we continue to deal with them the stench will remain.

• Like 2

Just now, Stuart said:

It’s a good question.

On the face of it, I think for a time, we should have, or had, a self-imposed ban on using that agency. If it was an agency that owed us money I’d suggest that we would stop using them until the debt was paid.

I’m not sure that what people associated with that particular agency cost our club will ever be repaid.

While we continue to deal with them the stench will remain.

On that then I would also suggest to avoid any future stench then we also impose a self imposed ban on the agency that Mowbray and team belong to. This would avoid suggestions that we are connected to that agency.

I'd agree with you about the money owed if it was my money but that is Venky's choice as it is their money. If money is owed then they also need to recover it by usual channels.

If future deals involve SEM then I'd only go ahead once they have been heavily scrutunised by independent agencies so that both parties are clear of any stench. It wont happen I know. 

19 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Is he the only one? 

SEM is not the only problem.

Although they are not supposed to, prominent agents in effect work as networks with affiliated smaller agents. 

One such agent has about 150 ostensibly independent agents tightly inside his network.

On the general point, agents cannot be avoided but it comes down to management and ownership as to whether the agents are de facto running the club.

On this basis, within the last two years, Rovers have again come to look like a proper football club business. Agents crossing boundaries thrive where there is no effective management to shoo them out of where they don't belong.

Being optimistic, Venky's have perhaps learned the very hard and expensive way.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I liked what Mowbray said more than the next guy but I hope with all my fecking heart that the comments about selling a player to avoid an embargo are a bit of excitement rather than an actual plan. Surely no one buys as many new players as we need for enough money to push us into embargo territory with the plan of selling some if it doesn't work.

What if we buy tosh? What if they don't cut it? What if Dack breaks his leg, back or neck? Let's not be pinning our financial future on the POSSIBILITY of recouping fees on certain players.

Buy players but buy well.

If we have to sell a Dack because we bought a Brereton, there is something very wrong with recruitment.

• Like 5

Just now, philipl said:

Although they are not supposed to, prominent agents in effect work as networks with affiliated smaller agents. 

One such agent has about 150 ostensibly independent agents tightly inside his network.

On the general point, agents cannot be avoided but it comes down to management and ownership as to whether the agents are de facto running the club.

On this basis, within the last two years, Rovers have again come to look like a proper football club business. Agents crossing boundaries thrive where there is no effective management to shoo them out of where they don't belong.

So it could be that in theory that not only we don't deal with SEM, we could have to not deal with upto 150 other agents? If we know there connections? How does that get policed?

Also not employing soemone because of their agent does that break freedom of employment laws?

• Like 1

Just now, JacknOry said:

If we have to sell a Dack because we bought a Brereton, there is something very wrong with recruitment.

It is what it is...if we want to go up we have to spend some money. The only way that we can get back level if we don’t go up is to cash in on a player or two. If the fans got up and went to games then that would help too...

Just now, philipl said:

I think Stuart pointing out that SEM represent Smallwood was an intimation that the stench of Anderson and Kean is still alive. I’m pretty sure that it isn’t. 

Just now, Paul Mani said:

I think Stuart pointing out that SEM represent Smallwood was an intimation that the stench of Anderson and Kean is still alive. I’m pretty sure that it isn’t. 

There will always be the link whilst Venky's are around....no avoiding that......damage already done

9 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

So it could be that in theory that not only we don't deal with SEM, we could have to not deal with upto 150 other agents? If we know there connections? How does that get policed?

Also not employing soemone because of their agent does that break freedom of employment laws?

You don’t have to employ anyone that you don’t want to. Pretty sure that agents are not a protected characteristic against which there are grounds for discrimination - although give it time. :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

As long as we have dealings with that agency there will continue to be a smell that just won’t go away.

Trouble is, as Phil’s post illustrates, agents in general are a stench all of their own.

• Like 2

Agents, employment agencies in regular work etc. are everywhere and you have to deal with the twerps sadly. You can make a stand against using them, or a certain agency but as it has been pointed out they have affiliates, sub-contracted people and so on. It's probably why Mike Newell never got another job after Luton. He pointed out the insidious nature of these people.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I’m pretty sure that it is. 

Key to it is someone keeping tight reigns on it all and using the agents as just that not chief advisors, co-runners, operators or investors.  Not easy when they basically almost run the game but that's the way it is. When making signings look at the big picture don't just pick from client lists of those close to you and scrutinise every potential deal and contract very very closely !

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

It is what it is...if we want to go up we have to spend some money. The only way that we can get back level if we don’t go up is to cash in on a player or two. If the fans got up and went to games then that would help too...

I find this attitude totally bizarre, its one prevalent with Waggott in particular.

Supporting a football club isnt a responsibility, but if it could be considered one, it would be to all those who already go, they are the hard core. I go and would have almost certainly found the funds if it had have gone up a hundred quid or two, id have been very annoyed but its a priority to me so I would have gone and paid.

The ones who arent going are by their very notion, floating fans, people who arent as arsed about attending every game. Shifting blame onto them or passively aggressively blaming them for lack of income will not work. You have to make it appeal for them to come back.

Waggott seems to be insistent throughout his reign on suggesting that the products there, the fans have to come back of their own volition. Hes the one with the keys to controlling that, more than anyone.  Little things like closing certain stands, surcharges, when season tickets are released, moving kick off times etc are all secondary to the main thing which is price. Whilst those not attending at the moment may be not doing not necessarily due to price, but putting the price up would have done nothing to get them back. Thankfully, he has at least kept the prices the same, whilst im not convinced that the season tickets are cheap enough to appeal to many to those out of the habit, I think a rise would have almost eliminated any chance of that happening so fair play to Waggott for at least freezing prices.

3 hours ago, Stuart said:

As long as we have dealings with that agency there will continue to be a smell that just won’t go away.

Trouble is, as Phil’s post illustrates, agents in general are a stench all of their own.

I agree that agencies aren’t great. But dealing with SEM was never the problem. It was the control that SEM once had over the club that was the real problem. That issue no longer exists, ergo...

• Like 1